#1 thelastjedi

thelastjedi
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

Hi all..

I am sorry if I am putting this in the wrong place or what not.. I did do a search and read some stuff but no dice.

I have successfully made a build of win7se_pe using winbuilder to a flash drive. The flash drive boots perfectly but with one issue. I have a ton of things in device manager showing up as unknown devices, and the net card is not seen. I have done searches to find out how to include drivers into the build. I have tried a few of these. Winbuilder adds them but I still have all these unknown devices.  I have checked to have the drivers installed on startup, etc. It still doesnt do it. What am I doing wrong??

I am a computer tech and have been doing it for over 10 years. I work on a couple hundred systems a month. I would love to find a way to create a build of win7pe_se that I could boot from and have it automatically install all the necessary drivers from the machine I am trying to fix, clean viruses from, etc. 

Can someone point me in the right direction? I have gone and downloaded a bunch of driver packs from a place I found on this site and added them in but it still didnt install. Is it possible to set up a script or something so it will automatically get the drivers I need from the system I am cleaning? Or is it possible to just include a crapload of driver so I can pretty much guarantee I will have what I need?

#2 Agent47

Agent47

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 164 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

Hi

It is perfectly normal for a PE to show several unknown devices in device manager. Remember, Win7PE is a heavily stripped down version of Windows 7 and hence it is not possible to include every single driver with the image. What a rescue disc need is support for network and Win7PE includes that. You can add both LAN and WLAN driverpacks as well as your own custom network drivers in your build either via "driver integration (DISM)" script or via "PENetwork" script. 

There is also a modified Win7PE project which is specifically designed for virus removal tasks.

#3 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

Make_PE3 wiil create a 7 PE that has built-in driver_fix.cmd

After booting with 7 PE then driver_fix.cmd will Install most drivers,

but it is not permanent, it means next reboot requires again to Install the drivers.

http://reboot.pro/to...e-windows-7-pe/

Far better solution is to boot with Portable or Mini 7 VHD that has the registry of full Win7

so that all drivers are installed and the changes can be permanent.

http://reboot.pro/to...ct-make-mini-7/

Attached File  VHD_W7-4.png   769.6KB   1 downloads === Attached File  Mini7_VHD.png   716.53KB   0 downloads

:cheers:

Both solutions have also Icon on Desktop - Drivers from Win7 Host DS

where the Win7 DriverStore of the Host computer can be used to Install the hardware specific drivers.

#4 saeidans

saeidans
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

Hello 

This was my question too but I found a solution by downloading the LAN drivers from driver Pack and putting it under common\driverpack folder

I have to run dpinstall manually after the win7PE is booted up, to install missing LAN drivers for our laptops.

The problem that I am still trying to figure out is how I can add drivers to Boot.wim for MY WDS server?

I appreciate if some one could help me with this one

thanks

Edited by saeidans, 03 October 2013 - 02:58 PM.

#5 niveknonrev

niveknonrev
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:20 PM

to bulk add drivers to boot.wim - you can use this simple script with DISM

dism /mount-wim /WimFile:win7SP1\sources\boot.wim /index:1 /MountDir:Mount
dism /image:Mount /add-driver /driver:Drivers /recurse /ForceUnsigned
dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:Mount /commit

This is mounting the boot.wim from a location win7SP1\Sources - change that to wherever your boot.wim is located

Then adds ALL drivers possible from a folder called Drivers

You can pack as many as you want in there and it will load everything it can

It will bloat the boot.wim - but if you want all possible drivers - this is a shotgun approach that works just about every time.

#6 al_jo

al_jo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1218 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

There is also a small guide here:

http://al-jo.net46.net/drivers/

#7 thelastjedi

thelastjedi
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:28 PM

Ok, I thank you all for the replies. I have tried a few things that were mentioned here and have made some progress and I have noticed one thing.

I can get the build to include the LAN drivers by going to the Driver Integration tab and putting the LAN drivers in the x86 folder it opens up for me. After I put the LAN drivers into the x86 folder, I can have winbuilder 082 make me the live usb. The process completes and it finishes like normal. I then take the usb device and plug it into my test machine and push the power button. The live usb loads up and it gives me internet access as it installs the LAN driver the system needs. I can then get online using the Opera browser.   I got really excited because I thought I had figured what I had needed to know.

I then decide to next add chipset drivers to the build in the same way that I added the LAN drivers. I went to the DriverPacks website and got the chipset drivers. I add them to the build the same way as I did the LAN drivers. I then create the live usb again. This time it should give me the chipset driver also.. but NO....  the program makes the live usb. It finished like it always does and I then put the live usb into the test machine. I push the power button, the machine starts to load the windows from the usb and then it comes up with the "windows failed to start.. blah blah blah.."   It comes up with an error that says "file: \windows\System32\Drivers\EtronHub3.sys        status: 0xc000035a       Info: windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt."

What Is going wrong? If I remove all the chipset drivers and just use the LAN.. IT WILL BOOT FINE AND GIVE ME INTERNET ACCESS..

If I try to add the chipset driver either by putting them in their own folder under the x86 folder.. I get the same error as above..

If I try to add the chipset drive by putting them in the same folder as the LAN drivers in the x86 folder.. I get the same error as above...

Im again stumped.. I was gonna try to add the driver packs that I needed one at a time and test the live usb after each addition of a new driver pack til I had it the way I wanted it to be..  but it is not working...

ANY HELP PLEASE... what am I doing wrong here??   lol

#8 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

Maybe one or more of the chipset drivers are causing a problem.

Presumably you have some 'bad' devices in Device Manager?

If so, find out what the PCI IDs are of the bad devices and then search for the same PCI ID in the INF files in the chipset drivers.

Then only add those INF and driver files.

#9 thelastjedi

thelastjedi
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:56 AM

Thanks for the reply, Steve6375..  Im trying to make my own version of win7pe_se that is as universal as like the Hiren's Boot Disk I have at work. I have never had a system that would run Hiren's that ever came up with a missing driver..  If the system runs the disk, it always has a LAN driver, and the device manager list is usually clean.  Like I said before.. I work on a couple hundred systems a month. Id like to make my own version of the win7pe_se that has plenty of drivers like the Hiren's disk and then add the apps I want to it. When done Id like to be able to slap the usb drive in.. boot to it. and then be able to run what I want on the system instead of having to pull the drive and put it in my own work pc and then scanning it..

What you are suggesting, Steve, Im sure it would work, but I think it would take a crap load of time because I would have to run winbuilder and tailor it to each system..   I want to be able to boot to the usb drive and then scan, backup data, etc.. without having to pull the drive..

Right now.. with certain "ailments" I have to pull the customer drive.. attach it to my pc.. scan it with a few certain programs, shut down my pc to remove the drive.. reinstall it back in its system and then scan it again to make sure the crap is gone..  I do this on multiple systems a day along with a crap ton of other stuff.... IM looking to make it a whole crap ton easier... and getting this thing to work right will be AMAZING!!

#10 Agent47

Agent47

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 164 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:55 AM

Why do you need to integrate chipset driver ?. WIn7PE doesn't need chipset driver to boot or work. If something is not broken, please don't try to fix it.

#11 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7566 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:58 AM

Why not use Win8ToGo booting from a USB Hard Drive? It was designed to run from a USB drive and should already have most drivers.

This will give you a fully adaptable OS and you could add in AV, and anything else you needed.

If you booted this from a VHD file, then it would be very simple to take backups of it or to replace the VHD should it get corrupted.

If it was on a multiboot USB drive you could also boot to AV OS's to purify the system hard disk first.

Note: The problem with booting from the customers system is the amount of RAM fitted needs to be enough to run any OS you boot to and the reliability of the system's hardware (RAM, CPU, PSU, fan, etc.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users