- - - - -

Possible to load ImDisk driver in Safe Mode?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

I need to force-load the ImDisk driver in Safe Mode, because I have a ramdisk in which the user and system temp folders are located. My environment variables have been edited to reflect the new location. This ramdisk loads fine in normal mode. In services.MSC there are 3 ImDisk entries, all of which are set to Automatic, and one of which is loaded (after adding the services to the Safe Mode Minimal and Network locations in the Registry). But the other 2 don't load, since they have a dependency on the driver. I also added "imdisk.sys" to these locations in the Registry, with a value of "Driver" for both. But still no go, these services still cannot load even manually, if I remember correctly the error code 1084.

#2 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:34 PM

You normally don't need any services running for using ImDisk. The only exception is if you want to use proxy-type virtual disks that connect to another machine across network.

What you need though is the driver. Drivers are not listed in services.msc. You find them in device manager, View > Show hidden devices, expand Non Plug-and-play devices, right-click on "imdisk" and select properties and there should be settings for using this driver in safe mode there.

That's for Windows 7 and earlier. In Windows 8 and later there is no "non plug-and-play devices" in Device Manager and I would think that you need to set these things manually in registry in that case. I don't remember right now what registry settings are required to load a driver in safe mode, but I am sure someone else knows that!

#3 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:34 PM

I'm using ImDisk Toolkit, not yours, mostly because it has a few GUI utilities. I'm aware that the TK is essentially just your driver with some added tools, I regard as being a ripoff (of sorts) of your work. The TK installs 3 services, all set to automatic by default, and 2 of those depend on the driver. I'm fully aware of what Safe Mode is for, I only need the driver to load so the ramdisk will be available, I have no intention of enabling anything else unless it's really important. I don't really think that loading your driver would cause a problem while in Safe Mode.

I know that drivers dont appear in services.msc, I couldn't find ImDisk in Device Management, which I found odd, since nearly all other drivers on my system are in there.

According to http://www.hawkdive....e-mode.html?m=1, I only need to get the "Driver key" value from Device Management, then add it to the Registry. The example is showing how to enable audio in Safe Mode, but this could apply to other drivers.

#4 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:49 AM

The problem basically is that non plug and play drivers are not shown in device manager in Windows 8 and later. But I think you can create a key called "ImDisk" under SafeBoot\Minimal and add the string Service as default value, like that article says. I don't think the key name should be imdisk.sys, I think it should be just ImDisk.

#5 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:00 AM

I honestly doubt that would work, considering that the service's error code seems to imply a failure to start because the driver isn't loaded. I already tried adding all 3 service names, but only one of them loaded, because it doesn't have any dependencies. Can you provide a more concise explanation?

#6 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:01 AM

That was all I could find about non plug-and-play drivers in safe mode. From what I can find it should work if you create that ImDisk hey and then when running in she mode type net start imdisk to load the driver. (It is also done automatically when you use imdisk.exe command line.)

Most instructions you will find about loading drivers in safe mode are about the more common plug-and-play drivers where you have device relationships and such things. Such instructions would not work with ImDisk because there are no "driver keys" or similar in that case and the driver is not loaded by plug and play manger.

#7 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

I'm using ImDisk Toolkit, not yours, mostly because it has a few GUI utilities. I'm aware that the TK is essentially just your driver with some added tools, I regard as being a ripoff (of sorts) of your work. The TK installs 3 services, all set to automatic by default, and 2 of those depend on the driver.

I'm very sorry for the "ripoff", I apologize to have stolen the work of Olof, but the GUI for using DiscUtils (through DiscUtilsDevio) was an idea from him...

About the services, by default ImDisk Toolkit installs nothing but those of the driver itself, that is, the drivers "ImDisk" and "AWEAlloc", and the user mode service "ImDskSvc".
Imdisk Toolkit can add later 3 other user mode services: "ImDiskRD", "ImDiskTk-svc", and "ImDiskImg".

By the way, why not to have posted that in the imdisk sub-forum?

• Olof Lagerkvist likes this

#8 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:52 AM

@v77: I still regard it as a rip of Olof's work, you merely took his driver and added a GUI and minor utilities. I *only* use your TK because of this, it's more convenient. Olof's ImDisk requires CLI usage, so it isn't as easy to use, though I'm sure it can do pretty much everything yours does. I refuse to inquire in your thread for support (more below).

If I release any software then it would most like be closed-source, I don't like the idea of others working on *my* invention, regardless of whether they're improving it or not. This is especially the case if they don't ask permission, which would be denied anyway. I'm very selfish, secretive, and possessive.

Maybe you can take a look at your post at http://reboot.pro/to...-11#entry200312, which was in reply to me. From my point of view, the issues are:

1. You nitpicking over my misspelling of Olof's name, totally unnecessary
2. I find your example of Media Player Classic vs WMP to be out of context, they're *obviously* not the same
3. Assuming that I hadn't read before posting, with a snarky comment of "in this case, I don't want to help". Then, for that matter, don't bother wasting your time or theirs by posting *at all*. If I don't want to help someone then I simply ignore them completely.

People like you are what solidifies my opinion of the French as being a bunch of pussyfied, stuck up prudes. If I recall correctly, France and England and the rest of Western Europe practically *begged* for US intervention in WWII. We saved your bacon almost singlehandedly, and for that you should be grateful for your existence, without us your family line might have been wiped out.

This is an open community, with all threads essentially owned by Nuno, but I do ask that you not post in this thread again. I neither need nor want your " help".

Once an enemy, always an enemy.....

#9 Olof Lagerkvist

Olof Lagerkvist

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1448 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:56 AM

Rip-off is still the wrong term here. I develop drivers and system administration and recovery utilities, most of them open source. That's what I do. A big point is that these tools should be possible to integrate in other software or have GUIs and other end-user oriented features added by other developers. I am no good at that myself so I really appreciate when that happens.

A rip-off would be if someone had taken the whole thing and distributed under their own name pretending they had written it themselves.
  • v77 likes this

#10 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 602 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:40 AM

I still regard it as a rip of Olof's work, you merely took his driver and added a GUI and minor utilities.

You can hardly call the dynamic ramdisks a "minor utility". Several articles on known websites have been written just because of that. And you cannot do that with only the driver and some scripts.
There is also the ability to synchronize data at system shutdown, which has been asked from a lot of people.
MountImg can display all the partitions in an image file, which can save a lot of time in some cases.

By the way, do you call tools like VLC or PotPlayer "GUIs" because they are "merely" using FFmpeg for decoding everything?

I *only* use your TK because of this, it's more convenient.

This is where GUIs are important: saving time. Of course, some users are more efficient in command line, this depends on the activity.
But GUIs are not so easy to do, and making all the small features working correctly together is another difficulty. This is why there were so much bugs until recently. Even now, it remains something to fix.

I refuse to inquire in your thread for support (more below).

I was not speaking of "my" thread, but the sub-forum dedicated to Olof.

If I release any software then it would most like be closed-source, I don't like the idea of others working on *my* invention, regardless of whether they're improving it or not. This is especially the case if they don't ask permission, which would be denied anyway. I'm very selfish, secretive, and possessive.

Without the approval and all the encouragements from Olof, the Toolkit would not exist...
And thanks to the open-source, I was able to report several issues to him.

People like you are what solidifies my opinion of the French as being a bunch of pussyfied, stuck up prudes. If I recall correctly, France and England and the rest of Western Europe practically *begged* for US intervention in WWII. We saved your bacon almost singlehandedly, and for that you should be grateful for your existence, without us your family line might have been wiped out.

This too, is "totally unnecessary". Moreover, I am not interested by the political stuff.

This is an open community, with all threads essentially owned by Nuno, but I do ask that you not post in this thread again. I neither need nor want your " help".

"Open", but only to those you approve.
Maybe soon "v77 the Insane"? :whistling:

#11 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

If I recall correctly, France and England and the rest of Western Europe practically *begged* for US intervention in WWII. 

If I recall correctly, people originally from France and England and the rest of Western Europe practically *founded* the US some time before.  :unsure:

https://en.wikipedia...e_United_States

:duff:

Wonko

#12 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:12 PM

@v77: Honestly, I really don't give 2 shits about the technicalities of how VLC and PotPlayer work, I only care that they work, and work well. Likewise, I will continue to use ImDisk Toolkit simply and only because it is easier to use than Olof's ImDisk. But that won't extend to support requests from you. Besides, I'm really only entitled to support if I were paying. I'm a practical guy, I won't let my dislike of you stop me from using a good tool. Whatever gets the job done, is my motto.

What I said is totally unnecessary, yes, but once again, so was your nitpicking over my spelling of Olof's name. We *DID* save your asses, there's nothing political about it, it was a matter of life and death, stopping a tyrannical psychopath from having his way.

Yes, soon perhaps, "v77 the Insane". I don't see why not.....

@Wonko: But of course we're a nation of immigrants, probably one of the best examples on the planet of a "melting pot" society. But that doesn't mean I have to tolerate everyone. I readily admit that I don't have much of an affinity for certain races, religions, etc. Yeah, I'm a bigot.

#13 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:58 PM

how ironic that the one actor that seems to have multiple issues including how others post on reboot, posts a thread outside the subforum dedicated to the very subject of his inquiry.

also, i think it is fair to point out here that when one self appoints themselves to speak or write for a whole nation without authorization and includes themselves into a history of events that is beyond the life expectancy of any man by using the word "we", it would seem to indicate that that one is self absorbed and highly delusional.

im certainly not authorized to speak or write for other reboot.pro members however for me, the behavior and manner of this member/user is the most consistently disruptive ive seen here on reboot.pro

at ease or dis ease?

#14 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:34 PM

@Zoso: I didn't post in v77's thread because I want nothing to do with him. If you had actually read my previous posts then you would have figured that out. I wasn't trying to attract a reply from him but he posted anyway. My question was mostly aimed at Olof or Wonko. So I put it in the Community forum instead, which is basically a general use area.

Are you absolutely certain that everyone alive during WWII is dead? There are a small # of living elderly US vets that fought in that war, like my great grandfather. If you ask him, he will say that Europe should have been left to fight its' own war, history would have almost certainly ended with a loss to the Nazis. But he had not much of a choice, since he was drafted. As well as others elsewhere. So you can't accurately say "beyond the life expectancy of any man".

Since when did you become a mental health professional? You've never met me, you can't say with certainty that I'm either self-absorbed or delusional. I have my share of mental issues but I'm largely sane and more than capable of working and caring for myself. I'm certainly more literate than you (anyone can compare the content of our posts and see that I'm no dummy, as well as looking at the spelling, grammar, construction of posts, etc), and probably more educated. Do you even know the clinical definition of insanity? If I'm in no position to speak for others, as you seem to be implying, then you are in no position to pass judgement on the mental standing of others.

#15 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

the only thing i am nearly certain of is what i have experienced first hand (non hearsay)

"you can't say with certainty that I'm either self-absorbed or delusional."

i could say that, but i havnt said it or even written it. if youre so much more advanced in literacy than myself then why did you not notice that i wrote that "it would seem to indicate that"

so, did i truly in fact pass judgement of your mental standing? (whatever that means..)

im not your adversary here, i dont think anyone is really but it seems you are trying really hard to make it that way.

the biggest question i have for you is: why?

#16 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:28 PM

You're not a very good liar, you know that, right?

it would seem to indicate that that one is self absorbed and highly delusional.

Your own words.....the great thing about forums is that you can quote people if they try to claim they didn't say something. You can say it all you want, hell, go chant it with a religious-like fervor for all I care, but that doesn't make it accurate. Implying is enough for me.....so you said it, as far as I'm concerned. And don't even try to nitpick that you didn't "say" it (in terms of using the voice), posting is a form of communication, so you effectively "said" it.

You seriously don't know the meaning of "pass judgement"?! Then your English clearly is deficient. Go read some of the Bible, where it is stated that God will pass judgement on everyone after they die (I'm no Christian, just an example). Then you will see. A Google search isn't so hard either.

Actually, you are my adversary, and so is v77, at least to me. When I feel wrongly I rarely forgive. I might not be your enemy, but you certainly are mine. It's two-sided interaction, see. I've spent quite a bit of time over the course of life, building a list and looking for ways to exact revenge by subverting and messing with them in various ways.

I don't owe you or anyone or anyone an explantion in regards to the "why" aspect. I will only say that I believe in karma and justice, which includes the right to exact revenge by any means necessary. Screw the "rules of engagement", war is all-out, no holds barred, anything goes.

#17 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:40 PM

I didn't post in v77's thread because I want nothing to do with him. If you had actually read my previous posts then you would have figured that out. I wasn't trying to attract a reply from him but he posted anyway. My question was mostly aimed at Olof or Wonko. So I put it in the Community forum instead, which is basically a general use area.

There is no such thing as a "v77's thread", there is a thread dedicated to the IMDISK TOOLKIT:

http://reboot.pro/to...imdisk-toolkit/

inside the IMDISK sub-forum, here:

http://reboot.pro/forum/59-imdisk/

which is Subtitled:
ImDisk is a freeware virtual disk driver. Also where other programs from the author and respective bugs/updates are presented and discussed by the community.

Where obviously one should ask questions about Imdisk, particularly if the idea is to get the attention of Olof.

On the other hand the Community forum:

http://reboot.pro/fo...ommunity-forum/

is subtitled:

Talk about anything else with the community!

Wonko

#18 Zoso

Zoso

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 640 posts
  •  
    Isle of Man

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:51 PM

You're not a very good liar, you know that, right?

thank you. carry on..

#19 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3042 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:20 PM

Once an enemy, always an enemy..... 

Seriously?

I believe in freedom of speech, etc but ... seriously?

What about "once stupid always stupid" ?

Why do we have to put up with all that hate and ignorance? do we actually have to? what about just banning this guy (at least for a while) to give us some rest?

I should probably not put my nose in this thread but I cannot not react to this stupidity and it has nothing to do with me being french...

I guess I am now one of this guy ennemies... but being french, I probably did not have much chance of being his friend anyway :)

Peace and love, mates...

#20 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:49 PM

What about "once stupid always stupid" ?

You assume that someone is stupid just because they don't like something? It's called having an opinion, and I'm not afraid to voice mine. From your point of view, anyone that is racist, hates Muslims, etc, is automatically stupid. Really? Seriously? They have as much right to their opinions as you have to yours, and that doesn't make you or them either "wrong" or "right". While racism and religion-bashing may not be acceptable to most people, it's a fact of life, everyone has likes and dislikes. I just love how society tries to force stupid, neat little labels on everyone just because they're not like everyone else. If you ask me, society seems to have a hatred for anyone they find racist, etc. But of course it's just the double standard in effect there. You guys have a right to hate on racists, but racists don't have a right to their views, eh? They are automatically bad, evil, ignorant, whatever label you want to put on it. It's these kinds of dichotomies that keep people divided. Us vs Them etc. If people would respect that others have a right to their opinion, and the right to publicly voice it, the world would be a much better place, even if some opinions aren't in the majority. You can apply these concepts to any kind of bigotry.

So tell me, erwan.l, am I "stupid" to you now? I never said I didn't like the French, it's more of a matter that v77 got under my skin awhile back and he happens to be French. I don't consider you an enemy yet, but with your recent comments I might change my mind.

And one more thing, I don't have friends, never have. I don't really want them anyway. I'm perfectly comfortable in my own company. So many people are social butterflies, they rely on others for acceptance. Which to me is a flaw because it makes you partly dependent on others in regards to your image of yourself. Learn to live with yourself and you can overcome any obstacle life throws at you. I just happen to consider myself an unorthodox maverick. I can look at things from perspectives that others never consider because they're stuck inside a box.

Edit: If the bigots of this world have no right to free speech, and the right to voice their unpopular opinions publicly, then noone should have freedom of expression/free speech. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

#21 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

I never said I didn't like the French, ...

Surely not, you just said that they (all of them) are (in your opinion):

... a bunch of pussyfied, stuck up prudes....

not exactly a compliment to the people of France.

And one more thing, I don't have friends, never have.

Now, that is surprising!

Wonko

#22 Guest_AnonVendetta_*

Guest_AnonVendetta_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:34 PM

This is a very late response, and I probably shouldnt bother, but I will anyway. I was recently able to get ImDisk working in both Minimal and Network Safeboot. This was accomplished by creating a new key called "imdisk.sys" under the appropriate Minimal and Network Safe Mode entries. In the string field, I named it as imdisk.sys, left the type as REG_SZ, and specified Driver in the Data field. To get ImDisk Toolkit's various services to load in Safe Mode I created a separate key for each service (6 in total, 3 in Minimal and 3 more in Network), and specified the exact canonical name of the referenced service in the String field. Afterwards the services and imdisk.sys driver dependency loaded fine in Safe Mode.

I know that Safe Mode's purpose is to strip things to the bare minumum running processes, so that issues can be diagnosed, but I really don't feel that it will hurt anything to have a RAMDisk running in Safe Mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users