#251 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 569 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:39 PM

It's not surprising that an "aggressive" detection considers this tool as dangerous. There are so many system calls... For instance, the synchronization feature uses techniques that allows to bypass the ACL of the files in order to copy them, no matter the rights given by the user.
There are also direct access to the volumes that the user wants to copy, and many things that have important security implications.
Even if all this requires administrative privileges, it can be considered as dangerous.

By the way, did you try to download the installation package of the imdisk driver with the aggressive detection enabled?

#252 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 314 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:19 PM

Strange, after setting Bloodhound heuristic detection back to Aggressive, both the standalone driver and ImDisk Toolkit download without the AV complaining.

Not sure what's going on.

#253 R o x

R o x
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Taiwan

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:49 AM

... OK, no updates for several months, so does that mean the software is build to utter perfection now ?

I do think so !!

fannnnnnnntastic, THANKS v77 and Olof

• v77 likes this

#254 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 569 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:10 AM

... OK, no updates for several months, so does that mean the software is build to utter perfection now ?

I do think so !!

fannnnnnnntastic, THANKS v77 and Olof

:cheers:

I got no bug report nor feature request since the last release, so it seems to be a good one. :)

The only thing that is still planned for ImDisk Toolkit is to play with the FSCTL_GET_VOLUME_BITMAP control code, which would allow to remove the dynamic ramdisk cleanup function. But this means to rewrite a large part of the code for a low advantage, so I leave that for later.

Of course, for a small fix, I can always make a quick update.
For now, I am focused on ProxyCrypt, which will have very soon a new major version.

#255 godevilove

godevilove
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Russian Federation

Posted 18 June 2016 - 07:04 AM

Hello.

Sorry, I failed to find the answer, but I did search before asking this.

Is there a way to make arbitrary directories (apart from TEMP) get automatically created on the ramdisk mount?

#256 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 569 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 18 June 2016 - 08:59 AM

Hello.

Sorry, I failed to find the answer, but I did search before asking this.

Is there a way to make arbitrary directories (apart from TEMP) get automatically created on the ramdisk mount?

Yes, if they exist somewhere. Let's say you have on your hard drive a folder named C:\ramdisk\myfolder (it can be empty or not).
In the RamDisk Configuration Tool, go to the Data tab, and in the first field, write C:\ramdisk.
With that, the content of C:\ramdisk will be copied at the root of the ramdisk. So you will get R:\myfolder.

#257 godevilove

godevilove
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Russian Federation

Posted 18 June 2016 - 12:34 PM

Thank you, v77!

This trick suits me.

#258 ZEE

ZEE

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
    Portugal

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:14 PM

Hi ppl...

One useful function I would like to see in the imDiskTK mount dialog

is a button to launch "imdisk.cpl" ... :idea:

I sometimes want to quickly look into "imdisk.cpl" mounted devices

(or remove some before mounting the next)

so this is a very simple but I think useful feature... :good:

And thank for this useful util....

(extend to Olof for his great software)

#259 jacob209

jacob209
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:29 AM

hi. i need help saving the stuff i put on my ramdisk so its there when i restart... please help me im new to this!

#260 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 569 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:56 AM

hi. i need help saving the stuff i put on my ramdisk so its there when i restart... please help me im new to this!

Did you go here?

144409Capture.png

#261 jacob209

jacob209
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:31 PM

What the? I'm on 2.0.9 and that tabs not even there.... I'll redownload it what do I do with that tab tho?

#262 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 569 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 20 July 2016 - 05:54 PM

What the? I'm on 2.0.9 and that tabs not even there.... I'll redownload it what do I do with that tab tho?

It seems you have downloaded the ImDisk driver, which does not have this feature.
See my signature for the toolkit.

#263 jacob209

jacob209
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:30 PM

Thx! I've downloaded it and I see the data tab now. What do I enable?

#264 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 569 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 20 July 2016 - 06:47 PM

Thx! I've downloaded it and I see the data tab now. What do I enable?

Just specify a folder on your hard drive in which the ramdisk content will be saved, check "Synchronize at System Shutdown", and you're done.
There are tooltips to give more informations. Of course, I suggest to make a few tries to be sure that everything works as you want.

#265 jacob209

jacob209
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 July 2016 - 08:15 PM

Thank you v77 it now saves! Much appreciated.

#266 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 569 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:20 PM

Version 20160726
- dynamic ramdisks: TRIM commands can now replace the cleanup function for releasing the unused memory blocks
- fix: data synchronization at system shutdown was not working for dynamic ramdisks that just have been created
- executables now explicitly support DEP and ASLR

The TRIM commands (the ones usually sent to a SSD) can now be used to release the memory blocks of deleted files. This is much more efficient because the memory is directly freed, without wiping the whole empty space through a temporary file.

This can be implemented thanks to the version 2 of the ImDisk driver that is able to forward these commands.

TRIM requires Windows 7 or later, and the NTFS file system. If you attempt to force the use of TRIM through the GUI (in the "Dynamic RamDisk Parameters") without these prerequisites, the memory of deleted files will not be freed.
The "Automatic" parameter checks the prerequisites and uses the TRIM commands if possible.

Using TRIM disables the cleanup function because it is no longer required. Of course, this function remains available for the cases where TRIM cannot be used.

The data synchronization feature for ramdisks was not not working for a newly created dynamic ramdisk. It's because in this case, RamDyn.exe is called is the user session. Therefore, it is killed before the system send the pre-shutdown notifications to the services.
As a fix, RamDyn is now called from the session 0 ("System" user), through the ImDiskRD service (used to mount the ramdisks at system startup) included in RamDiskUI.exe.

However, RamDyn can still be called through command line and work in the user session. The fix is intended only to the data synchronization feature.

This fix has required important changes, but I used this opportunity to rewrite the management of the services in a way easier to maintain.

Executables now explicitly support DEP and ASLR. ASLR requires Vista or later.

The spanish translation is not yet done, it will be updated as soon as the translator is back. And I am also looking for a new russian translator, since the former seems to have given up.

ImDisk Toolkit is now hosted by SourceForge, but I will continue to check this thread.

#267 friske

friske

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 246 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:35 PM

What is the pros and cons of PhysicalMemory switch?

Before cleanup work at interval. TRIM now when do?

ty.

#268 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 569 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:57 PM

What is the pros and cons of PhysicalMemory switch?

As said in the tooltip, this memory is never written to the pagefile.
However, this is slower, especially for small requests, because of a system call required to "map" the memory pages into the virtual space of the process.

It's interesting for privacy issues, or in the rare case where you have a 32-bit server edition of Windows with a lot of RAM: if the system handles all the RAM, you can create ramdisks of more than 4GB, even if it's a 32-bit system.

Before cleanup work at interval. TRIM now when do?

When the system sends the TRIM commands. This usually occurs a few seconds after a file is deleted.
Using TRIM completely disables the cleanup function (the dedicated thread is not even created).

These commands directly give the areas to free because of a deleted file. So, this is the most efficient method but it requires support of the system: Windows 7 or later, and NTFS.

#269 friske

friske

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 246 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:38 AM

TRIM It is a big Improvement.

It would be a bad thing if the RamDyn source were include in ImDisk and Arsenal Image Mounter?

ImDisk begins to show the limits in Windows 10.

#270 funco

funco
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Brunei

Posted 08 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

I've tried running FirefoxPortable via ImDisk Toolkit, but it doesn't seem to be any faster than running it from the HDD. Am I doing something wrong here?

What I did is: RamDisk Configuration -> Data -> Load Content from image file or Folder -> input the FirefoxPortable folder here. And that's pretty much it. It does run OK and it does show as being started from the right Drive (the virtual one that was created by ImDisk), but I don't notice any performance gains.

#271 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 569 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:48 PM

Version 20160908
- new full 64-bit version
- new 7-Zip SFX modules for the installation packages with improved security
- removed support for Itanium CPUs
- installer: added a choice in case of installation in another directory
- installer: changed method of shortcut creation
- installer: renamed setup.exe to config.exe in order to avoid the Installer Detection of Windows

In addition to the current 32/64-bit installer, this new version brings a new full 64-bit installer. Except the 32-bit versions of imdisk.exe and imdisk.cpl that are still installed in SysWOW64, everything is in 64-bit, including the 7-Zip SFX module that is now compiled by myself.
This means that the x64 version should work on a system with the WoW64 subsystem removed.

The new 7-Zip SFX modules now have a manifest, which avoids the extractor itself to be elevated by the UAC. This reduces the scope of a "DLL hijacking", and avoid the load of a malicious external manifest (on Vista and later).
Along with the name change of setup.exe, this also should avoid the Program Compatibility Assistant of Windows to be displayed in most cases.
These modules also support DEP and ASLR. As there is a few small changes in the code, the source is provided.
After being compiled, they have been compressed with UPX (--ultra-brute).

Some months after the first version of ImDisk Toolkit, I wanted to remove the support of the Itanium CPUs, because I cannot do a single test, and I never had any feedback about that. I was forced to restore it because some stupid antiviruses were complaining.
It seems to be no longer the case, so in order to make the installer smaller, I removed it. As the package provided by Olof still supports it, this should not be an issue.

About the antiviruses, as expected, there are more false alerts than before. With a custom extractor, some stupid antiviruses do not even attempt to extract the content and therefore they mark it as suspect.
The 32-bit version currently has 6 false positives, and I will not make a bigger or less secure extractor just to avoid that.

The installer now creates the shortcuts in a different way. Instead of using the IShellLink interface, a temporary INF file is now generated.
This method is a bit slower but saves 25KB of the executable size.

Technical note: even after being reconfigured by a 64-bit process to use a 64-bit executable, a service remains marked as "WOW64". This can be seen, for instance, if you use a ramdisk at startup, in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ImDiskRD.
No matter the bitness of the service, this does not affect it. However, this value is used before the process is created: if the value exists and is 1, redirections are applied to locate the executable of the service.
So, it only matters if you install RamDiskUI and ImDiskTk-svc in the System32 or SysWOW64 folder. Otherwise, this changes nothing, and you can safely remove this value.

#272 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 569 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:36 AM

I just did a new analysis on VirusTotal: there are now 8 false alerts for the 32/64-bit version, including Avast and the 2 editions of McAfee (the same code in 64-bit: only 2 false alerts).
If my professional life was depending on that, this would be disastrous. But fortunately, it's not the case.
Given the "alerts", there is nothing I can do. So we'll have to deal with it.

#273 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 569 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:35 PM

Version 20160917
- added support of NTFS compression
- fix: data synchronization at system shutdown could not working if another ramdisk was defined

I have taken a closer look on the NTFS compression. It appears that the only incompatibility with RamDyn was when the cleanup function attempts to fill the whole free space with a file filled with zeros.
As the file is filled with zeros, its content can be compressed infinitely. Therefore, the cleanup function fails to fill the free space and RamDyn forever takes 100% of 1 CPU core as soon as the cleanup function is triggered.
The fix is to disable the compression for the file(s) used in the cleanup process by using the FSCTL_SET_COMPRESSION control code.

This also means that RamDyn was already compatible if you were using the TRIM commands.

As RamDyn can now work with the NTFS compression, I also added an option in RamDiskUI to enable it.

There is also an important fix for the ramdisk synchronization feature. There is a security based on the volume ID to avoid the synchronization in the case where the volume was replaced by another one, which could lead to mistakenly delete a large number of files.
Unfortunately, this ID was not properly written in the registry and therefore, the service used at system shutdown could be unable to recognize the volumes to synchronize.

#274 AnonVendetta

AnonVendetta

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 737 posts
  • Interests:Self-development, computing

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:41 PM

I see at least 2 ImDisk links when searching Google (other sites offer the program but dont seem to be the program's homepage.):

http://www.ltr-data.se/opencode.html/

https://sourceforge....imdisk-toolkit/

Which is the official site? The program is available on both, but the files I've downloaded from each appear to be the latest version, and have different names and sizes. You guys really need a single, unified site for hosting file downloads, then it will be easier for people to know where to go.

Is there a difference between ImDisk and ImDisk Toolkit, or they are the same?

Olaf Lagerkvist appears to be ImDisk's creator, so what relation do you (v77) have?

#275 v77

v77

Silver Member

• Team Reboot
  • 569 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:19 PM

POPULAR

It's like "Media Player Classic" and "Windows Media Player": not the same name, not the same thing.

I was thinking that it's clear enough: "This all-in-one package includes the ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver..."
"includes" does not mean "is".

These 2 links are "official": the first one for the driver created by Olof (and not "Olaf"), the second one for the toolkit, by me.
These are 2 separate projects, even if the toolkit is based on the tools of Olof.

There can be a confusion only for those who are not able to read more than one word in a project name. In this case, I don't want to help.

• Olof Lagerkvist, ambralivio and alacran like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: imdisk, toolkit, ramdiskui, discutils, image file, mount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users