RMPrepUSB - Bootable USB format utility

• Please log in to reply
766 replies to this topic

#751 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:WinXP, Debian, OpenWrt, gPXE, iPXE, BIOS, UEFI, Coreboot, MS VirtualPC, VMware
  •  
    Poland

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

When you get the 'cannot copy file: wvblk32.sys error' - can you see a floppy disk A: or B: in the Explorer type browser (I guess not!). If you have a floppy disk drive, you could try a real floppy and comment out the map winvblock lines???
It is strange... XP must see the floppy disk image mapped by grub4dos as you can load the txtsetup.oem file, but later when it tries to copy the files from the mapped floppy drive it cannot find it - it is as though something has disconnected the mapped drive (maybe lost USB connectivity by resetting USB bus - but it should be just copying files at this stage?). Not sure what to suggest... :confused1:

I make many test with many WinXP ISO's and found that error "Setup cannot copy the file: wvblk32.sys" appears if the ISO image file contains WINNT.SIF file with option OemPreinstall=Yes and/or CD label is wrong.

5928902m.png

I test two ISO's:

• WinXP SP2 + WINNT.SIF with OemPreinstall=Yes, CD label -> VRMPVOL_PL
  • WinXP SP2 without WINNT.SIF, CD label -> VX2PVOL_PL

I found similar problem: Windows XP Guest, "Setup cannot copy file vmscsi.sys"

Edited by reboot12, 12 July 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#752 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

Not sure what that has to do with RMPrepUSB which is a USB drive preparation program...?

The issue about oempreinstall=yes is known - see here.

#753 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 287 posts
  • Interests:WinXP, Debian, OpenWrt, gPXE, iPXE, BIOS, UEFI, Coreboot, MS VirtualPC, VMware
  •  
    Poland

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

Not sure what that has to do with RMPrepUSB which is a USB drive preparation program...?

I wrote in this topic because you wrote that you don't know what could be causing the problem copying the file wvblk32.sys - see page 20 -> http://reboot.pro/to...-20#entry124384

So, do not directly have anything to do but I test the installation of WinXP using the driver WinVBlock with your floppy image winvblock.ima.gz from Tutorial #30 and noticed that you need fix WinVBlock driver to resolve many problems while install WinXP with WinVBlock :-)

During testing, I found that WinVBlock failed when used with a DQ57 Intel mainboard in STEP 2 and prompted me for a cmprops.dll file which it could not find as the virtual CD loaded by grub4dos had disappeared! I also got the same error when running under the QEMU emulator.

To prevent virtual CD disappearing in STEP 2 (GUI-setup) you need use map --mem any floppy image before map xp.iso - read this: http://reboot.pro/to...up/#entry184400

Very important: You need map --mem floppy image in both Windows setup phases - TXT and GUI

The XP GUI install should now proceed just like a normal XP setup. If you are prompted to accept the unsigned Virtual floppy driver ('not passed Logo testing'), just click on OK.

To disable prompt unsigned WinVBlock driver you need add WINNT.SIF to F6_floppy with option DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

P.S. Please read my posts and tutorials on reboot.pro about WinVBlock in section FileDisks/RamDisks: Firadisk, etc.

#754 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:33 PM

Hi

Thanks for the reply - the poster said he followed the instructions in Tutorial 30 which says to use a vanilla XP ISO - so I could not think of a reason why it gave the error message if he followed the instructions!

I know it works best if you use --mem, but the idea was to be able to install from an XP ISO onto a system containing <512MB RAM which I initially hoped WinVBlock could do - so far I haven't found a way that works on all systems without using --mem.

P.S. I have read your posts and next E2B will use your new WinVBlock driver for XP+DPMS - thanks!  :thumbsup:

#755 strangebooter

strangebooter
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

Virus alert in uninstall.exe, pls refer to:

http://reboot.pro/to...0-uninstallexe/

#756 strangebooter

strangebooter
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:44 AM

Regarding iso file fragmentation and WinContig.exe:

If an ISO file is fragmented, GRUB cannot boot it, file needs to be defragmented.

Win7PE_SE/ Winbuilder includes a failover function:

If Grub4Dos fails to run Direct mapping (reading the ISO directly) then Grub4Dos will try Ram mapping.

I don't know how it is realized, but:

Would it be possible to include such a failover function in RMPrepUSB too?

Thx...

#757 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:51 AM

RMprepUSB is a partition and format program??? I don't understand what  a grub4dos map funtion has got to do with RMPrepUSB?

#758 strangebooter

strangebooter
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

I am sorry but RMPrepUSB installs (optionally) Grub4Dos and offers function WinContig (STRG+F2) for making the ISOs bootlable. WinContig needs sometimes a lot of time, so it would be comfortable if such a failover function could be included!?

What's about the virus alert? Did you check? False alert?

Thx and best regards!

Edited by strangebooter, 11 August 2014 - 10:41 AM.

#759 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

Are you talking about Easy2Boot requiring files to be contiguous?

if so, then no, if it could be made to work with non-contiguous files, I would have already done it.

There is a failover in that any ISO file below 500MB will be automatically copied to CONTIG.ISO and made contiguous - but this is slow.

I use a USB 3.0 Corsair GT Voyager 32GB and find that WinContig usually takes less than 30 seconds at most. You just need a faster USB drive if WinContig is taking too long.

Explain what size and type of device you have, how many files you put on it, how you prepare and format it and how long WinContig takes if you are having problems.

re. virus alert. The uninstall.exe is part of the NSI installer package which I use to create the installer for RMPrepUSB. Of course it is a false alert.

#760 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

Win7PE_SE/ Winbuilder includes a failover function:

If Grub4Dos fails to run Direct mapping (reading the ISO directly) then Grub4Dos will try Ram mapping.

I don't know how it is realized, but:

Would it be possible to include such a failover function in RMPrepUSB too?

No (or not "generically").

The grub4dos "failover" command is:

map <something> <something else> || map --mem <something> <something else>

i.e. if direct mapping fails, then map in memory.

This won't apply to *any* <something> that is booted through a partnew mapping (i.e. a new entry in the parition table, that must point to a contiguous blocklist).

Additionally the map --mem besides being only suitable to PC's with "large amount" of RAM (or to smallish images) is much slower when booting as the whole <something> needs to be copied to memory.

:duff:

Wonko

#761 spartan

spartan
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Iceland

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:54 PM

hi all pls help i have livexp complete iso which is boots fine in vmware.
I want create an usb bootable from this iso.

below are the steps taken by me till now.

1. Format 4 GB USB as 2 GB with RMPrepUSB_v2.1.725 to FAT16 as zip drive/HDD drive.
2. Copy setupldr.bin from \i386 to the root of the USB as ntldr.
3. Copy the custom ntdetect.com described here to the root of the USB.
4. Extracted the iso to USB, renamed the \i386 to \minint.
5. folder structure is like this
G:\minint
G:\Program Files
G:\BOOTFLAG
G:\modelram.exe
G:\ntdetect.com
G:\ntldr

but it gives error "File setupdd.sys could not be loaded. error code is 18." :wacko: :blink:

Pls help.

and Also I want to add portable app Repartition bad drive to my livexp usb.

Edited by spartan, 01 November 2014 - 06:03 PM.

#762 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:07 PM

Does the USB drive boot under VirtualBox or VMware or QEMU?

Did you add USB drivers to the LiveXP image?

#763 spartan

spartan
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Iceland

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:00 PM

Hi steve,

thanks for replying.

I used plop linux plpbt.iso in vmware and then connected usb in vmware and booted from it.

#764 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:51 PM

When you boot from a USB drive in vmware the USB drive is emulated as a hard disk and so XP has no problem.

When you boot from a real system from USB, XP has no USB drivers in it's boot code and so cannot boot.

You need to prepare XP in a special way to get livexp to boot from a USB drive.

http://www.rmprepusb...utorials/usboot

#765 Rootman

Rootman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:30 PM

I got around this by using Steve's fantastic Easy2Boot and then changing my XP PE ISOs extention from .ISO to ISOMEM which loads the entire ISO into memory.  As long as the host system has adequate memory it works well. 

I had an old XP PE that I made up using an old PE utility years and years ago, it didn't have the right drivers for the USB system in it either and I didn't want to bother trying to recreate it in WinBuilder, it had a bunch of funky drivers and stuff I massaged by hand in it.  I seldom use it now, but when I need it and the host system as at least 1GB of RAM it loads like a champ, even without the USB drivers.  Grub4DOS creates a RAM drive, copies the entire ISO into it and boots from it as an emulated HDD.

Perhaps you could do the same thing.  I remember that before Steve's Easy2Boot I did the same thing with a special Grub4DOS menu that loaded the ISO into RAM.  His utility just made it easier just rename the .iso to .isomem and it's automatic from there.

#766 spartan

spartan
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Iceland

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:02 AM

hi good morning to all

you got me wrong fellas what i meant was that i was able to make a bootable livexp iso, which when used to boot in vmware works fine, also cd made from this iso works fine on physical systems.

but when i try to make the bootable usb from that iso using the steps mentioned above it gives that above mentioned error.

I want to make usb bootable as i want to add portable apps to it.

pls help.

#767 spartan

spartan
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Iceland

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:04 AM

hi all
a little update

i used wintoflash software and wrote livexp iso to usb now it boots fine from usb.

pls let me know how to add portable apps to this usb.
i want to add Repartition bad drive to it.

any help will be appreciated.

Edited by spartan, 02 November 2014 - 10:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users