fuwi

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 135 posts
  •  
    Switzerland

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:34 AM

hi steve

i've tested the new version 2.1.612: ntfs formatting works now, thanks a lot :smiling9:

fuwi

#477 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7283 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 January 2011 - 09:29 PM

hi steve

i've tested the new version 2.1.612: ntfs formatting works now, thanks a lot :hi:

fuwi

Found a few bugs and lots of minor issues. I have tested new Beta v2.1.613 fairly thoroughly today and think it is nearly ready for release. I have removed the MSVBVM60.DLL file (it is only in a DLL folder now in the full install and so is not used unless you copy it to the same folder as RMPrepUSB.exe). Please let me know if you find anything that does not work...

#478 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7283 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

v2.1.614 New version with extra features. Spent quite a while testing it and improving it.
In the end I had to remove showdrive.exe as it was causing Explorer to show multiple drive letters for the same USB drive if RMPrepUSB was run too often!:hi: For BartPE/WinPE v1 users, you should just copy showdrive.exe into the RMPrepUSB folder and it will be called after a format operation. Showdrive.exe and MSVBVM60.dll are in the WINPE_EXTRA folder in the full download (not in Lite download which is for Windows XP+ users).
The RMPrepUSB.ini function has been improved (now autoruns grub4dos and or ext2 FS creation if in config file). Function hotkeys added (ALT+Z now replaced by F10). See website for more details.

Highly recommend you replace any previous Beta with this one (you MUST un-install the old version first or delete the showdrive.exe file). Please let me have feedback!

#479 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7283 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:42 AM

v2.1.618 now available which includes new 'run QEMU boot from USB' emulation (via F11 function key).

#480 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7283 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:53 PM

Just posted a new video on YouTube http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZZ3ULjFxIDs

How to boot from a USB stick and install XP onto a system using an original unmodified MS XP install CD ISO file (even to an AHCI system) using only 3 files on the USB stick. Most OEM XP CDs should work as well.

#481 rdomp

rdomp

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Antarctica

Posted 08 March 2011 - 03:56 PM

Dear Steve6375,

first of all, my sincere compliments for the great work done with RMPrepUSB. Really amazing tool !
Here is my issue:

I want to install XP SP3 on 2nd hand DELL Optiplex GX620 by following the instructions in Tutorial #30 (http://sites.google....-xp-from-an-iso). If I press F6 and choose Firadisk and ICH7R, I get the BSOD 0x0000007B.

If I choose Winvblock32 and ICH7R, I am able to choose the partition where to install XP; then the setup starts copying files on the selected hard disk partition but after a while I get the error:

cannot copy file: wvblk32.sys

If press ESC, the same error appears for file winvblk.inf, and so on.
When the computer restart, if I choose the second item in Grub4dos menu, the Windows setup screen appears but it stops immediately as it cannot found the Windows XP ISO file containing the setup files.

Can you please let me know how I can fix this?
Many thanks in advance!
Cheers,
RD

Edited by rdomp, 08 March 2011 - 04:37 PM.

#482 davlak

davlak

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 224 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:50 PM

try this: do not select winvblock. just select only the ich7 driver.

#483 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7283 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:51 PM

Hi
First you need 1GB of RAM in the system.???

Can you change the BIOS for SATA = IDE/Compatible mode rather than AHCI? Then just load FiraDisk or WinVBlock (or both or no driver!). If not, I would first try loading all 3 (ICH7, firadisk and WinVblock).
If that does not work, run PCIID.ima.gz and find the PCI ID of the SATA device, then see if it is in the INF file (as listed at the bottom of the tutorial) and see what the correct AHCI drive is (i945 should be ICH7??). Then use that with F6 as well as FiraDisk or WinVBlock (or try neither!).

#484 rdomp

rdomp

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Antarctica

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:41 PM

Hi
First you need 1GB of RAM in the system.???

Can you change the BIOS for SATA = IDE/Compatible mode rather than AHCI? Then just load FiraDisk or WinVBlock (or both or no driver!). If not, I would first try loading all 3 (ICH7, firadisk and WinVblock).
If that does not work, run PCIID.ima.gz and find the PCI ID of the SATA device, then see if it is in the INF file (as listed at the bottom of the tutorial) and see what the correct AHCI drive is (i945 should be ICH7??). Then use that with F6 as well as FiraDisk or WinVBlock (or try neither!).

@Steve6375

the Dell has got 1GB of RAM; I have already tried to load all 3 (ICH7, Firadisk and WinVBlock) but then I get the same error ("cannot copy files") for all the Firadisk and WinVBlock related files. Also changing the SATA settings in BIOS has not helped :cheers:

I will run PCIID.ima.gz to find out the PCI ID of the SATA device.

@ davlak

Posted 3 hours ago

Thanks for your suggestion. My DELL has got no CDROM :) If I select only the ICH7 driver, will the XP SP3 iso file be recognized by Windows setup at the next reboot?

Edited by rdomp, 08 March 2011 - 08:44 PM.

#485 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7283 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

When you get the 'cannot copy file: wvblk32.sys error' - can you see a floppy disk A: or B: in the Explorer type browser (I guess not!). If you have a floppy disk drive, you could try a real floppy and comment out the map winvblock lines???
It is strange... XP must see the floppy disk image mapped by grub4dos as you can load the txtsetup.oem file, but later when it tries to copy the files from the mapped floppy drive it cannot find it - it is as though something has disconnected the mapped drive (maybe lost USB connectivity by resetting USB bus - but it should be just copying files at this stage?). Not sure what to suggest...Posted Image

#486 davlak

davlak

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 224 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

@ davlak

Thanks for your suggestion. My DELL has got no CDROM :) If I select only the ICH7 driver, will the XP SP3 iso file be recognized by Windows setup at the next reboot?

you're going to tell grub4dos to make the job

map --mem /XP.iso (0xff) || map  /XP.iso (0xff)

so I bet yes :cheers:

#487 rdomp

rdomp

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Antarctica

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:57 PM

When you get the 'cannot copy file: wvblk32.sys error' - can you see a floppy disk A: or B: in the Explorer type browser (I guess not!). If you have a floppy disk drive, you could try a real floppy and comment out the map winvblock lines???
It is strange... XP must see the floppy disk image mapped by grub4dos as you can load the txtsetup.oem file, but later when it tries to copy the files from the mapped floppy drive it cannot find it - it is as though something has disconnected the mapped drive (maybe lost USB connectivity by resetting USB bus - but it should be just copying files at this stage?). Not sure what to suggest...Posted Image

I also find it indeed strange that when I press F6 I am able to choose winvblock or firadisk and ICH7 driver and few minutes after it looks like the floppy disk image is gone ...

hope you will forgive my ignorance but I do not know how to start the Explorer type browser ... the error occurs while I am still in STEP 1, when the setup process is busy copying some files on the new formatted partition.

Can you please tell me how to start this Explorer type browser?
Thanks.

you're going to tell grub4dos to make the job

map --mem /XP.iso (0xff) || map /XP.iso (0xff)

so I bet yes

thanks ... I will try this and let you know how it goes

Edited by rdomp, 08 March 2011 - 10:00 PM.

#488 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7283 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:12 PM

re. browser - sorry my mistake!!! Need more coffee - you only get this in GUI mode (of course)!

#489 rdomp

rdomp

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Antarctica

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:28 PM

this is the results returned by running PCIID.ima.gz

Vendor=8086 Device=27DF SubVen=1028 SubDev=01AD Class:SubClass=01:01 IDE
Vendor=8086 Device=27C0 SubVen=1028 SubDev=01AD Class:SubClass=01:01 IDE

So it looks like there is no SATA in the DELL Optiplex GX620.
However, I can confirm that the hard drive is SATA because:

1) a Non-English fully working Windows XP was already installed on the DELL machine; before reformatting the Non-English XP partition, I run software SIW.exe inside the Non-English XP to find out which SATA chip was used (SATA is ICH7/R Rev A2)

2) I opened the computer myself to verify the hard drive was SATA

after pressing F6, if I choose only the driver

Intel® ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller

I get the BSOD 0x0000007B just on the moment where the install process is supposed to ask me on which partition to install XP

Edited by rdomp, 08 March 2011 - 10:32 PM.

#490 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7283 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:33 PM

was BIOS in IDE/Compatible mode when you ran the PCIID? If so try in AHCI mode. The PCI controller may be disabled by the BIOS if in IDE mode. But it sounds like ICH7R was the correct F6 option in any case.
I don't suppose you have a real floppy drive in the system?

#491 rdomp

rdomp

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Antarctica

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:42 PM

was BIOS in IDE/Compatible mode when you ran the PCIID? If so try in AHCI mode. The PCI controller may be disabled by the BIOS if in IDE mode. But it sounds like ICH7R was the correct F6 option in any case.
I don't suppose you have a real floppy drive in the system?

I do have a real floppy drive ... would that help?

#492 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7283 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

Well you could extract the winvblock.ima.gz to the floppy disk. Maybe XP would not 'lose' that during the copyfiles stage.
If that does not work, REM out the two map --mem winvblock (fdx) lines and try just using F6 to load off the floppy disk.

Of course, it may be that the floppy disk is confusing XP - maybe if you disabled the floppy disk controller in the BIOS, the original menu.lst might work?

#493 rdomp

rdomp

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Antarctica

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:56 PM

Well you could extract the winvblock.ima.gz to the floppy disk. Maybe XP would not 'lose' that during the copyfiles stage.
If that does not work, REM out the two map --mem winvblock (fdx) lines and try just using F6 to load off the floppy disk.

Of course, it may be that the floppy disk is confusing XP - maybe if you disabled the floppy disk controller in the BIOS, the original menu.lst might work?

well, this is really crazy ... setup worked and XP got installed correctly !!!

Here is what has happened:

-> chose STEP 1
-> pressed F6 -> chose WinVBlock and "Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller"
-> error 'cannot copy file: wvblk32.sys' error appeared again
-> system rebooted
-> chose STEP 2 -> Windows XP SP3 iso got loaded in memory -> rebooted and removed UFD
-> Windows XP Setup completed the installation successfully !

I will try to install again on a different (bigger) SATA hard drive and will let you know which results I get.

#494 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7283 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:58 AM

New version 2.1.620 available in Beta Download section at www.rmprepusb.tk . If no issues found in next week or so this will be made the new release version.

#495 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:20 AM

On my ASUS P5KPL-AM with LEXAR GEYSER JUMPDRIVE I use RMPartUSB.exe. No issues with the new beta.

Peter :cheers:

#496 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1739 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:05 PM

I have a solution to the problem booting install iso from USB hard drive described in tutorial 32.

I wrote a little program ( loadiso.exe ) that will search the USB drives looking for imdisk\loadiso.cmd. When found it will run it.

I inject the appropriate loadiso.exe and a special winpeshl.ini containing:

[LaunchApps]
LoadISO.exe
x:\setup.exe

into image 2 of each iso boot.wim at windows\system32

x86 and x64 versions of loadiso.exe are downloadable from here:

wb.paraglidernc.com/Utilities/loadiso.7z

The winpeshl.ini and example batch files to be run from a waik 7 command line are included ( batch files should be modified to specify correct source directories for copies of iso contents on hard drive )

#497 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7283 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 May 2011 - 03:44 PM

Thanks. Good work! I realised this was perfectly possible but did not want to have to go to the bother of modifying each WIM file and ISO as many users won't want to download and install the WAIK and may not even have Win 7 systems.
I had thought of doing something similar just using a cmd file (i.e. just call the current ImDisk\loadiso.cmd from winpeshl - this would be similar to tutorial #31 on my website). Then it would not have any 32/64 bit dependency and no need for two exe's.

How could the user do a repair - when the MYISO variable is not set to anything - call a different setup.exe ???

P.S. You can still use a hard disk, but either use SHIFT+F10 to find loadiso.cmd yourself OR have a USB Flash drive with the AutoUnattend.xml on it as well as the USB hard drive.

P.P. S. Video now on YouTube for Tutorial #32!

P.P.P.S. Have you tried simply placing the AutoUnattend.xml in the root of the ISO? It should work...

cheers
S

#498 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15339 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:03 PM

WHY is the WAIK (or Windows 7 installed) *needed*? :ranting2: :)

;)
Wonko

#499 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7283 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:04 PM

WHY is the WAIK (or Windows 7 installed) *needed*? :ranting2: :)

;)
Wonko

Where would you get ImageX from? Latest WAIK is not supported on XP.

#500 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15339 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 May 2011 - 04:13 PM

Where would you get ImageX from? Latest WAIK is not supported on XP.

The whole point is that.
Is ImageX *needed*? :)
http://nativeex.boot...x/WimCaptEx.htm

Is an install of Windows 7 *needed*?
http://reboot.pro/9765/

:ranting2:
Wonko

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users