#51 patsch

patsch

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 785 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:28 AM

1. Did you choose "Default Settings" or custom settings for your project? Based on the way things look, you would have created "Custom Settings" where you specify each each file separately. Also default settings do not use full paths i.e: "I:\temp\mbim_alpha_06_R01\Data\mkisofs.exe", instead it would only use "mkisofs.exe". I just double verified this. Can you please confirm? Fortunately, my flash drive letter is also called "I:" :drunk:

I created the project as follows: opened mbim, changed project properties path-relevant for me and saved this project, nothing else. I did not created a new project.

2. Can you please open up your project in notepad and paste all of the section "[MAIN]" section in the project file? I am particularly interested in the ISO NAME key.

[MAIN]

USE DEFAULT=0

BOOT LOADER=I:\temp\source\grldr

ROOT DIR=I:\temp\source

ISO NAME=C:\temp\testcd.iso

VOLUME NAME=test

CONFIG FILE=I:\temp\source\menu.lst
Yes, if I open the project, there is always the wrong path to the iso file. Even if I correct the path and save the project under a new name, the next time I open mbim the iso path is wrong

3. Can you please click on "Locate ISO" after the project is built and tell me what happens?

it points to the path under ISO NAME

4. Did you type "C:\temp\test.iso" manually in the command window? If so, that's is the problem :) When MBIM prints the "ISO Created" message, the path that it prints is read from the project file itself and not the command string. I must have forgotten to disable this text box. This text box is not meant to be edited.

no, I typed nothing in the command window

4. If exit code is 0, the ISO would have been created and it has to be somewhere. MBIM always returns 0 when the build succeeds. Please use "Locate ISO".

yes, I already mentioned that in my post, that is the problem ;)
It's the path under ISO NAME and the iso mentioned in the command windows does not exist (iso_root.iso)

#52 skyide

skyide

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 218 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 16 November 2009 - 08:56 AM

** Thank you!! ** :)

Problem spotted. It's getting fixed as we speak. I am about to release a new build with more enhancements + this fix.

Update: OMG! That thing is hard coded! :drunk: Oops!

Update: Fixed. Thanks! Appreciated.

#53 skyide

skyide

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 218 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 16 November 2009 - 10:43 AM

Alpha 07 Build 01 is out:

- Added: "Highlight Text" in grid. A little toolbar on the bottom with a text box that lets you highlight text in the grid. Similar to Maxthon's "text highlighter" except that this one's blue.
- Added: When a check box on the grid is activated or deactivated, if the same check box appears in the Filter / Search List, it will also be activated or deactivated. I missed this one.
- Added: When macros are run and settings are applied, the project is now saved.

# Bugfix: Building custom project produced incorrect message when build was successful
# Bugfix: When Filter / Search List tab was activated, the search box was not automatically focused
# Bugix: When clicking on an open project, the "State" heading in the grid was being set to "N"

Screenshot showing the highlighter: http://www.techopini...s/alpha7-01.png
Download: http://www.techopini...lpha_07_R01.zip

Have big plans with this macro system. I intend to give you control over Windows and execute external Windows commands and even tell MBIM to start the build based on a condition etc....So the idea is, create a macro, run the macro and the macro/script would set up everything and even build the project.

If you see something that doesn't look quite right, simply post your question.

Feedback is welcome,

Cheers

#54 skyide

skyide

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 218 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 19 November 2009 - 08:53 AM

Hey there,

Do you think MS will mind if I do this?

http://www.techopini...s/bootmaker.png

I am kind of paranoid when it comes to stuff like this but it is very useful.

#55 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:50 AM

Do you think MS will mind if I do this?

Why should they mind? :dubbio:

You are actually contributing to enforce their EULA.

jaclaz

#56 skyide

skyide

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 218 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:14 AM

Yea but someone might have a pirated extracted version of Windows that doesn't boot and this tool will help them make it boot. Of course, a savvy person would just use GRUB4DOS but others less savvy people will use this tool to make their non-bootable pirated Windows into a bootable one.

Of course my intention is to help real/authentic users that have lost the original CD.

#57 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:22 AM

Yea but someone might have a pirated extracted version of Windows that doesn't boot and this tool will help them make it boot. Of course, a savvy person would just use GRUB4DOS but others less savvy people will use this tool to make their non-bootable pirated Windows into a bootable one.

Of course my intention is to help real/authentic users that have lost the original CD.

Yep, and as well one could use a kitchen knife to prepare his own food or to kill a living being.

Or use a car battery to either start your car or torture an innocent living being.

I have seen no disclaimers on kitchen knives or on car batteries, last time I bought one of them. :dubbio:

jaclaz

#58 andex

andex

• Tutorial Writer
  • 68 posts
  •  
    Ethiopia

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:17 PM

Tutorial Request - This is a nice project but I would be glad if I could get a tutorial that shows how to make a Multiboot ISO.

Thanks!

#59 patsch

patsch

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 785 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:50 AM

what is your problem? where do you need help?
if you choose "new project" with "default settings" you have all needed settings activated to create your bootable cd

#60 andex

andex

• Tutorial Writer
  • 68 posts
  •  
    Ethiopia

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:37 AM

what is your problem? where do you need help?
if you choose "new project" with "default settings" you have all needed settings activated to create your bootable cd

Thank you for the response. Do I have to extract each ISO that I want to include on the multiboot cd or do I have to keep it as it is in the ISO-root folder. What about the boot menues, where am I going to write them?

#61 patsch

patsch

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 785 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:01 PM

ok, I see the problem.
You cannot simply take some ISOs, extract them (or not) and put them together to get one single cd/dvd. There are several restrictions. First of all you have to choose one bootloader (like grub4dos, isolinux, bcdw or other loaders). The loader gives you the next step concerning the iso's you want to use (and also the bootmenu).
That means for you:
1.) which programs will I have to use and which loader do these programs use
2.) how can I put them into the loader I want to use
If that is clear, you can make your own project (like folder structure, writing your bootmenu etc.) and then you can use the Multiboot ISO Maker to get your iso.
I think, the name "Multiboot ISO Maker" is capable of being misunderstood. It is not simply a program where you can put your iso's in it and out it comes one new multiboot iso.
It is a gui for the console program mkisofs that has many options and is hard to use for non experienced users.

#62 andex

andex

• Tutorial Writer
  • 68 posts
  •  
    Ethiopia

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:46 PM

I think, the name "Multiboot ISO Maker" is capable of being misunderstood. It is not simply a program where you can put your iso's in it and out it comes one new multiboot iso.
It is a gui for the console program mkisofs that has many options and is hard to use for non experienced users.

The reason for this misunderstanding is that there is no documentation/tutorial for it. Everyone shouldn't guess to use a project. Whenever, a utility comes out and get publish as a PROJECT, it needs to have a good documentation. Otherwise, its use will be only for those people who are expert in boot land. I am not a dummy user and I can do anything if I get a good guide and I think, everybody can. If the objective of projects like Multi-Boot ISO maker is to help the greatest number of people possible rather than only few experts, there should be a documentation for it. Time, might be considered as constraint, but I see that Multiboot ISO Maker has its own fourm. So if the developer spends this much time for the forum, why not for the most important documentation?

In this regard, Joshua's Win7 RescuePE is a very good example.

#63 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:07 PM

Posted Image

What happened to the app? :cheers:

Any news? :mellow:

Alpha 07 R1 version NOT anymore downloadable, attached for the record.

;)
Wonko

Attached Files

#64 patsch

patsch

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 785 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:19 PM

the new website of the author is http://neobeta.net/
but there I have not found any downloadable versions.
Google tells that there is a alpha 8 version, but I also have only v7

#65 bee4u

bee4u

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 172 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:07 PM

HI.. here is alpha 8 version and is portable.... :1st: :)

http://www.mediafire...fugcof51pawam33
  • patsch likes this

#66 skyide

skyide

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 218 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:31 AM

HI.. here is alpha 8 version and is portable...

http://www.mediafire...fugcof51pawam33

Wow! What a surprise :) I am honoured to see this.

No need for media fire (but it will do for now), I will recompile it and post a new build if interest is shown. I'd be more than happy to fix bugs (if people are interested). If you are interested, post here.

I haven't touched the code since the last release. Why this might be?

My project development is based on feedback. It is why feedback is important to developers - motivation. It doesn't matter if feedback is bad or good (of course, I'd rather have a good feedback), as long as there is feedback, it means people are intersted.

I create a project, make a post about it, no one's providing feedback (good or bad). In that case I assume people are not interested so I stop working on it. Examples: Multiboot ISO Maker (this one had a good run), Portable Run Dialog, Advanced Network Configurator - all good projects in my opinion that I regularly use privately especially Advanced Network Configuraor. SkyIDE - another project that I stopped working on due to no feedbak.

If people show no interest of a particular project, I don't see the logic of continuing the project's development.

#67 bee4u

bee4u

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 172 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

THANK YOU .. :) yes definitely Rebooters will like the progression of this project...it makes life easy especially for the new comers.
since Mkisofs is top class iso maker tool which has many options... :thumbsup:
Every one of us is deeply interested in this lovely project... :thumbsup:
plz do make a small help file with basic uses of it with example... so it will make easy for many in this forum to use it and give you more and more feedback about it.. :)
i am delighted to hear from you... and hope you will make a stable release of the project and continue it..THX once more... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
your project ROCKS... :1st:

#68 skyide

skyide

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 218 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

Thx for the encouragement bee4u.

At this point of time, I am focused on two other projects Advanced Network Configurator and Advanced Data Terminal (a very cool terminal emulator), especially Advanced Data Terminal. These two are very important and Advanced Data Terminal has some serious issues that need fixing. I have no one else to blame for them but myself. I have to prioritise these over everything else.The GUI of Advanced Data Terminal will need to be rewritten from scratch and it is created at run time, it will take quite some time. Everything is instantiated and connected manually at run time.

#69 patsch

patsch

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 785 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

I'm also very interested in the progress of multiboot iso maker. Your alpha7 version helped me a lot in the past.
I only had trouble with saved projects ... I always had to create new ones to avoid misconfigurations in path selection

#70 bee4u

bee4u

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 172 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:09 AM

Its okay ..:) you finish your projects then do work on this useful project.....we are waiting fot it..THX.. :thumbsup:

#71 volkan

volkan
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

i share this software download  Multiboot.ISO.Maker_Portable.exe  please help me how to make ?    Multiboot ISO Maker Portable

#72 skyide

skyide

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 218 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:22 AM

Is anyone still interested in this app? If yes, I might re-write it from scratch (in Qt).

P.S. This is really just a mkisofs GUI front end.

Everything these days is boot from UFD...Is there really much point for an ISO file builder?

#73 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

Is anyone still interested in this app?

I don't know any gui app to build a Windows UEFI boot ISO image.
What about adding UEFI support?

Everything these days is boot from UFD...Is there really much point for an ISO file builder?

What's a DVD drive? ;) Yes, it's seldom used these days.
Well, a DVD is read only. It's nice still.

#74 skyide

skyide

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 218 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:08 AM

What about adding UEFI support?

Hmm wouldn't that just involve including a BOOTX64.efi file in /efi/boot/? If I am not mistaken, the BIOS EFI boot up utility would then detect the file presense and should give you an option to boot it if EFI is enabled or if you have a cool setup it would give you dual boot options meaning you can either boot in EFI or standard mode. The config file would still need to be manually edited. I think you can do this right now even with the old version of Multiboot ISO Maker. You just build the ISO folder structure and you build the ISO.

Either way, if I was to update this utility, it would have to be a complete re-write. The code is too old and it can be re-written in much better way. If people show interest, I would definitely consider it.

P.S. I don't remember when was the last time I used a CD bootable. I have a UFD with a number of different partitions on it, each having a different Linux live distro or some sort of ISO (Macrium Reflect, Parted Magic etc..) - much more convenient

(and faster) than a DVD / CD etc.

#75 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:25 AM

Hmm wouldn't that just involve including a BOOTX64.efi file in /efi/boot/?

UEFI dosn't know ISO9660 or UDF file system. A file is not found at CD.
UEFI searches a El Torito UEFI boot image. UEFI mounts this FAT image and read files from the mounted image.

A BIOS/UEFI DVD requires two boot images: one BIOS and another UEFI one.

A mkisofs example
http://reboot.pro/to...e-2#entry169874

P.S. I don't remember when was the last time I used a CD bootable.

I haven't used a bootable CD this year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users