Time Expire BootDVD

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 laddanator

laddanator

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Writing code and getting stuff to work when no one else can! Wrote a Windows Vista, 7, and 8 legal activation tool in VBscript and compiled it to exe. First project of this undertaking. Working on an AIO legal activation tool that includes XP.
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

maybe g4d only supports 8.3 filenames - just shorten the name of the file and change the menu.

It must be for CD, DVD only because the full name of anything over 8.3 will show up on the USB version. 

#27 laddanator

laddanator

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Writing code and getting stuff to work when no one else can! Wrote a Windows Vista, 7, and 8 legal activation tool in VBscript and compiled it to exe. First project of this undertaking. Working on an AIO legal activation tool that includes XP.
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

Thanks, steve6375. Everything is working great from the DVD now after I shorten the file name below 8. Not sure why the same version of g4d on the USB would not have this problem and the one used to make the DVD would. Maybe it's the way the cdimage program complies the DVD? Not sure but it works and so far, does what I wanted it to do. :clap:

#28 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 10,873 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

maybe g4d only supports 8.3 filenames - just shorten the name of the file and change the menu.

Naah, it's more probably the options used in the cdimage.exe that make grub4dos look at the ISO9660 (first version) filenames (which are 8.3).

And that is exactly the reason why, even in 2012 2013 it is still a smart option to use 8.3 filenames.

Only seemingly UNrelated:

http://reboot.pro/to...g-and-grub4dos/

Still just for the record, cdimage.exe is a tool that when run prints on the screen:

CDIMAGE 2.54 CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Premastering Utility
Copyright © Microsoft, 1993-2007. All rights reserved.
For Microsoft internal use only.

:cheers:

Wonko

#29 laddanator

laddanator

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 337 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

Actually mine says

Copyright © Microsoft, 1993-2012. All rights reserved.

What is your point?

#30 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 10,873 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Actually mine says

Copyright © Microsoft, 1993-2012. All rights reserved.

What is your point?

I didn't know you were from Microsoft. :dubbio:

The newer OSCDIMG has this output (somehow - but not that much - better):

OSCDIMG 2.54 CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Premastering Utility
Copyright © Microsoft, 1993-2007. All rights reserved.
Licensed only for producing Microsoft authorized content.

Wonko

#31 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 5,351 posts
  • Interests:computers (!), programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), OSes, photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

To make the DVD you use

cdimage.exe -bgrldr -j1 -u1 -h -m -oc -lWindows_7x32_SP1 7x32_COMPLETE\ 7x32.iso
-j1 means Joliet

-u1 means UDF-Bridge media

-h means  include hidden and r/o files

-m means ignore max image size

-oc means use slower duplicate file detection

If you use RockRidge instead of Joliet then it will appear OK in grub4dos. I don't think grub4dos can use Joliet, it can use RockRidge or ISO9660 (8.3 filenames).

try this command...

cdimage.exe -bgrldr -n -d -h -m -oc -lWindows_7x32_SP1 7x32_COMPLETE\ 7x32.iso

It may or may not work once you have booted though!

mkisofs or oscdimg may be better for your purposes - my tutorial #65 provides a batch file and a link for mkisofs.exe is given, you can try making the ISO using that instead maybe?

#32 laddanator

laddanator

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 337 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

I didn't know you were from Microsoft. :dubbio:

We are Microsoft partners but I don't work for Microsoft. Actually the cdimage.exe came in our new Windows 8 partner pack.

#33 laddanator

laddanator

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 337 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

If you use RockRidge instead of Joliet then it will appear OK in grub4dos try

Ok that fixed the filename 8.3 issue

It may or may not work once you have booted though!

What do you mean by this? Do you mean if I use RockRidge instead of Joliet that some live systems will not boot the DVD?

#34 laddanator

laddanator

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 337 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

mkisofs or oscdimg may be better for your purposes - my tutorial #65 provides a batch file and a link for mkisofs.exe is given, you can try making the ISO using that instead maybe?

Ok, downloaded the files required to make a bootable DVD as the guide points out in Tutorial #65 and works great from my g4d BootDVD with XP files and other boot stuff. Now if I try to make a stand alone NT6x only BootDVD with makegrub4dosiso.cmd (using mkisofs.exe), it begins to run and all these weird out put numbers appear, the command finishes and I am left with a 600 mb (from a 4 gig folder) ISO. Leaves out the install.wim among other stuff. I am using grldr to boot the NT6x DVD in order to use checkdate.g4b. Is there something I am missing with NT6x BootDVD's using makegrub4dosiso.cmd with mkisofs.exe? This is why I use cdimage.exe on NT6x bootstuff because every time I try to use mkisofs.exe on NT6x bootstuff, never works and always leaves out the install.wim and so on.

Now if I use makegrub4dosiso.cmd with oscdimg.exe option, the NT6x g4d BootDVD is created fine.

#35 cramsden

cramsden

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

I don't know too much about Linux or the environment what your engineers are using the boot CD in, however, if the client machines are connected to a network, you could consider getting the time from a local NTP server or the internet and cross reference the returned information against a file stored on the DVD media.

Another suggestion, which I used for different a purpose, but again would require the client to be on an network or connected to the internet is to place a file either on a network share or create a simple HTML page which contains information about the latest DVD build, again this would need to be cross referenced against a file stored on the DVD.

If you are using a Windows based boot CD, I may be able to write a small application for you, however, it would not execute at boot time, but when the OS had fully loaded.

Thanks,

Colin.

#36 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 5,351 posts
  • Interests:computers (!), programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), OSes, photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

Now if I try to make a stand alone NT6x only BootDVD with makegrub4dosiso.cmd (using mkisofs.exe), it begins to run and all these weird out put numbers appear, the command finishes and I am left with a 600 mb (from a 4 gig folder) ISO. Leaves out the install.wim among other stuff. I am using grldr to boot the NT6x DVD in order to use checkdate.g4b. Is there something I am missing with NT6x BootDVD's using makegrub4dosiso.cmd with mkisofs.exe? 

I downloaded the makegrub4dosiso.cmd and also the MinGW version of mkisofs.exe which I extracted from the link I gave in the Tutorial and used it to make an iso using a large WinPE project (my PC is Win7 64-bit OS). I can also make WinPE 1.9GB ISO from it fine.

However, if I use it on a folder containing the contents of a Windows 8 ISO, then it does indeed fail at 0.01% !! I have tried all options and they all fail at the same point. :dubbio:

On investigation, I found this post. It seems the MinGW version (which I had a link to in my tutorial as suggested by 'He who must not be named' (i.e W**ko!) only supports files up to 2GB! The CygWin version works however (but maybe has a 4GB limit?), so I have updated my tutorial to point users to this version now instead.

I made a grub4dos Win8 install ISO and that seems to boot fine with the MinGW version. :suda:

Sorry for the difficulty!

cheers

Steve

#37 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 10,873 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

On investigation, I found this post. It seems the MinGW version (which I had a link to in my tutorial as suggested by 'He who must not be named' (i.e W**ko!) only supports files up to 2GB! The CygWin version works however (but maybe has a 4GB limit?), so I have updated my tutorial to point users to this version now instead.

As a matter of fact we (that are not from Microsoft and as such NOT authorized to use the stupid cdimage or oscdimg) would actually need a programmer that takes the latest CDRECORD sources:

http://cdrecord.berl...e/cdrecord.html

and compile them properly under MINGW (the most used version around of a MINGW compiled mkisofs is by Reanimatolog and dates to 2004) instead of the "usual" (BTW senseless) CYGWIN.

Of course, if everyone is happy with having a couple or more huge DLL's uneededly taking up space in your system, the CYGWIN version is OK.

Ideally the willing programmer could also "relax" the check for floppy images sizes of type 0x1, 0x2 and 0x3 and allow to easily create with mkisofs El-Torito floppy emulation CD/DVD's with super-floppy sized boot images, see:

http://www.msfn.org/...oppy-emulation/

Wonko

#38 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 5,351 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

I am happy to test any such new MinGW version if someone would like to try building it?

#39 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 10,873 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

I am happy to test any such new MinGW version if someone would like to try building it?

Actually I was trying to have you play the programmer's role in the play..... :dubbio: 

Wonko

#40 cdob

cdob

Silver Member

• Expert
  • 980 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:37 PM

As a matter of fact we (that are not from Microsoft and as such NOT authorized to use the stupid cdimage or oscdimg)
Oscdimg from waik is nice, if you create a new Windows Vista (and up) DVD.
The result does work most likely, other tools has to be verified first.

would actually need a programmer that takes the latest CDRECORD sources:
and compile them properly under MINGW (the most used version around of a MINGW compiled mkisofs is by Reanimatolog and dates to 2004)

Describe properly, what about:
Reanimatolog's -force-uppercase and -duplicates-once
mkisofs daylight saving timestamps
mkiosfs -cache-inodes -print-size -follow-links
mkisofs: folder char '/' or '\'
mkisofs: charset, iconv support http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iconv
mkisofs | cdrecord piping
cdrecord fifo
rscsi
all other cdrtools tools
Windows Vista (and up) UAC support

A very good programmer can solve all this, it's some work to do this. And to maintain this.
In the past no programmer solved all open points.
I doubt a properly mingw port in the next ten years.

There is a current mingw version. http://opensourcepac...p/cdrtools.html
There are some mingw patches to default Jörg sources http://cdrecord.berlios.de.
And a special Mingw version is used: Tuma MinGW
Be aware: this introduces another behaviour if -o iso files exist already.
Work arround: delete a existing *.iso first, run this mingw mkisofs next.

the "usual" (BTW senseless) CYGWIN.
The Cygwin version is the "usual" tested one. Cdrtools full features does work.
The special features may fail at a mingw version.

Of course, if everyone is happy with having a couple or more huge DLL's uneededly taking up space in your system, the CYGWIN version is OK.
It's cygwin1.dll and iconv support dll files.
Including iconv support, would require several dll at mingw too.

Contrary a today mingw version can be a good enough in most boot CD cases.

easily create with mkisofs El-Torito floppy emulation CD/DVD's with super-floppy sized boot images
Which super-floppy sized boot images do you like to support?
There is a 36 mb floppy image patch from 2010.
http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__946547

What about El Torito 0x03 fake 2.88 floppy image:
80 < Tracks <= 1024, 2 Heads, 36 Sectors per track

I may be tempted to build a Tuma MinGW mkisofs version with -force-uppercase and -duplicates-once
However I won't call this a proper version, because of unresolved parts.
A programmer is searched still.

#41 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 10,873 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

Well, with all due respect :), you are talking mostly nonsense :w00t:.

You are probably the most suited to build a non-cygwin "modern" version of mkisofs :worship:, including a patch that "relaxes" the check for sizes of the floppy emulation images, (all three of them, 0x1, 0x2 and 0x3, and not necessarily for 73728 sectors) and resolve the issues (that you are the only one to actually know in deep/document) about reparse points/graft points/duplicateonce, etc.

The  patches, like the (otherwise nice) one  you posted on the MSFN thread are USELESS until someone compiles a version comprising them (or as said a better, wider version of it), posts it somewhere and people test it and report about it's behaviour.

Personally (and of course this reveals how primitive I am :ph34r:) if I were capable of putting my hands effectively on that source, modify and compile it, I would also remove 3/4 to 4/5 of it's current features, that NOONE in the Windows world has ever used, is using and will ever use, the only people that maybe used/use/will use them are anyway Linux Guru's and they can use the "official" Linux version alright.

The man page for mkisofs is more similar to a novel than to an instructions page :ranting2:, and since it misses, like all man pages, any meaningful example, the probabilities of anyone ever finding a way to use mkisofs by that page alone are non-existing.

As a matter of fact in all these years I never managed to know anyone having ever used any of the HFS related switches or having compiled a a true (or shared) HFS hybrid filesystem, I believe that mkisofs is a good example of what I like to call featuritis...

http://en.wikipedia....i/Feature_creep

So, in a nutshell:

1. you are IMHO the right man for this :thumbup:
  2. since you are going anyway to "fork", it would be interesting and useful - still IMHO - to make a mini-mkisofs, with all the needed options, i.e. adding the ones we have mentioned BUT removing all the never used ones

http://en.wikiquote....Albert_Einstein

It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience.
"On the Method of Theoretical Physics" The Herbert Spencer Lecture, delivered at Oxford (10 June 1933); also published in Philosophy of Science, Vol. 1, No. 2 (April 1934), pp. 163-169., p. 165. [thanks to Dr. Techie @ www.wordorigins.org and JSTOR]
There is a quote attributed to Einstein that may have arisen as a paraphrase of the above quote, commonly given as “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” or “Make things as simple as possible, but not simpler.”

Wonko

#42 cdob

cdob

Silver Member

• Expert
  • 980 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

There is Daylight saving bug at mkisofs mingw still, introduced in 2004.
http://www.911cd.net...?showtopic=9431
This is a issue at a flat PE1 ISO with Infcache.1.
Should be a minor issue in 2013, a PE1 ISO is less importand nowadays.
I prefer to ignore this currently, use the cygwin version instead.

mkisofs 3.01a13-bootcd.ru with with -force-uppercase and -duplicates-once:
In addition added:
El Torito 0x03 fake 2.88 floppy image: 80 < Tracks <= 1024, 2 Heads, 36 Sectors per track
Create a floppy image floppy03.ima (layout N/2/36) and run 'mkisofs -b floppy03.ima -o foo.iso .'

Cygwin and MinGW win32 binaries:
http://cdob.reboot.pro/
http://cdob.reboot.p...d.ru-mkisofs.7z

#43 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 10,873 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:19 PM

In addition added:
El Torito 0x03 fake 2.88 floppy image: 80 < Tracks <= 1024, 2 Heads, 36 Sectors per track
Create a floppy image floppy03.ima (layout N/2/36) and run 'mkisofs -b floppy03.ima -o foo.iso .'

Very very good! :worship:

If I may, it would be advised to post on your page a link to the thread on MSFN, otherwise the quoted part will risk being understood by a minority of the possible users. :ph34r:

Wonko

#44 laddanator

laddanator

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 337 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:39 PM

cdob, can the 4gig limit be "fixed" or is that just the way it is? My Vista install.wim is over 4gigs and mkisofs will not create the ISO I removed a few thing from the install.wim and got it just below 4gig and mkisofs created the ISO fine.

#45 cdob

cdob

Silver Member

• Expert
  • 980 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

he 4gig limit

The file size is limited to 8 TB, at least one thousand DVDs.
Multi extent files are used, as defined in ISO 9660:1988 Level 3.
Windows 95 and NT4 can read multi extent files.

With Windows 7 SP1 X86 and install.wim over 4gigs:

ISO9660 file system

mkisofs.exe -iso-level 4 -D -force-uppercase -no-emul-boot -b boot/etfsboot.com -hide boot.catalog -o w7big1.iso big

ISO9660 and UDF file system
mkisofs.exe -iso-level 3 -N -D -d -relaxed-filenames -allow-multidot -udf -hide boot.catalog -hide-udf boot.catalog -no-emul-boot -b boot/etfsboot.com -o w7big2.iso big

Windows 8 x64 EFI
mkisofs.exe -iso-level4 -D -force-uppercase -udf -hide boot.catalog -hide-udf boot.catalog -no-emul-boot -b boot/etfsboot.com -eltorito-alt-boot -eltorito-platform efi -b efi/microsoft/boot/efisys.bin -no-emul-boot -o W8_x64_efi.iso big

• laddanator likes this

#46 halikus

halikus

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 110 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:16 AM

Split the wim with imagex into smaller 1 gig swm files.