steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:45 PM

Not sure what went wrong there! The file is in a Dropbox public access folder and something must have gone wrong! First time I have ever had a problem with DropBox!

Should be fixed now..

Sorry about that
cheers
Steve

#327 dianedebuda

dianedebuda

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Now it unpacks ok.  Thanks!

I told you several months ago when I first tried E2B that you seemed to have built it just for folks like me - non-Linux users that only use a few tools once or twice a year.  Stuff like the Ulitmate Boot CD are always overwhelming 'cause I don't know anything about 99% of the tools.  Like most things, you learn it if you need it.

OT: Do you know or can you point me to an appropriate spot to ask:

I have a standalone XP box that I use only to run Explorer, WD Lifeguard Diagnostics, WD Acronis, Partition Wizard Home and (DOS) dir>filename.  I'd like to have a Win7 system that can read GPT disks to do the same, but can't justify the Win7 license expense for it.  Is there a PE environment or a Linux that would be super simple that I could use?

#328 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:52 PM

PE would require a licence, strictly speaking.

You could install Win7 but just not activate it. Or install it and re-arm it every month for a year (see here). And then re-install it again next year.

Not sure about linux and GPT???

#329 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

I have a standalone XP box that I use only to run Explorer, WD Lifeguard Diagnostics, WD Acronis, Partition Wizard Home and (DOS) dir>filename.  I'd like to have a Win7 system that can read GPT disks to do the same, but can't justify the Win7 license expense for it.  Is there a PE environment or a Linux that would be super simple that I could use?

JFYI, there is the possibility of using this (much cheaper than a Win7 license):

http://www.paragon-s...ader/winXP.html

but cannot say if it will fit your requirements.

In theory you cannot use a Windows based PE without a corresponding license and particularly in your case it would be "use as replacement Operating System".

:cheers:

Wonko

#330 dianedebuda

dianedebuda

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:05 PM

Good thought about rearming.  Actually I should have said that I don't want to buy another Win7 license for the current standalone box - mb is way too old.  Towards the end of the year, will be rebuilding with a new mb - then buying Win7 makes sense.

So Linux may not like GPT at this point?  Was forced there when purchased new laptop with preinstalled o/s.  Easy2Boot was a real help then when I was in "learning" mode.

Thanks again.

#331 dianedebuda

dianedebuda

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

Wonko, saw that Paragon thing a few months ago when I got the new laptop & built a couple of new Win7 boxes.  Wording makes me think that there's a fair chance that it'll not work since my target drives are typically added to an add-on RAID controller even though they're JBOD.  At that time I decided to just delay until I got a new mb; now I have a problem SSD that's GPT.  I have a box with Win7 that needs to be rebuilt, so I can use that right now.  But I appreciate your effort for bringing it up as an alternative.

Sorry for getting so OT.

Edited by dianedebuda, 28 September 2013 - 06:29 PM.

#332 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:31 PM

So Linux may not like GPT at this point?  Was forced there when purchased new laptop with preinstalled o/s.  Easy2Boot was a real help then when I was in "learning" mode.

Sure it does, I thought that it was you not liking Linux....

Wonko

#333 dianedebuda

dianedebuda

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:47 PM

Not a question of not liking; just have never used it.  A "simple" Linux distro that you could recommend that I could use for my "Win7/GPT testing" situation?  I'm game...

#334 dianedebuda

dianedebuda

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:18 PM

Can anyone point me to an simple File Explorer-type tool that I can add to my Easy2Boot?  Using Easy2Boot for Acronis & Partition Wizard & want to be able to move/rename/delete files without having to reboot to Windows.

#335 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:34 AM

Can anyone point me to an simple File Explorer-type tool that I can add to my Easy2Boot?  Using Easy2Boot for Acronis & Partition Wizard & want to be able to move/rename/delete files without having to reboot to Windows.

Simple like being able to run on GPT disks in a Raid setup (and possibly be multipane, mouse enabled and having the possibility of changing background WHILE running from within grub4dos)? :w00t:

I forgot customizable transparent windows. :ph34r:

Come on, seriously :), get the smallest Linux mini-distro with Midnight Commander or "lightest" PE 3.x or 4.x with Dos Navigator and call it a day.

Wonko

#336 dianedebuda

dianedebuda

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

Gee, Wonko.  I do seem to irritate you with my non-Linux user, Easy2Boot questions.  Do you actually realize how overwhelming it is to a neophyte when presented with the number of Linux distros that a Google search can produce?  Even via a "bootable file manager" query?  And many Linux terms differ from the Windows ones; it's like being in a different country.  Sometimes it's tough to just to understand the "Help".  I want to try Mint and Zorin at some point, but right now I'm just not able to spend the time getting initiated.  Even the stuff I've found for WinPE looks like it may have a stiff learning curve.

Really, I thought I could just ask here to see if anyone had seen an E2B compatible iso that would boot directly (or almost directly) into something that would look like Window's File Explorer.  I thought E2B was partly purposed so folks like me without a deep background in the boot process could "do it".  I apologize and regret wasting your time.

Best regards,

Diane

#337 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

Sure, but the intended scope of E2B is to boot (hopefully) *any* .iso (and particularly *all* Linux and "Windows/PE" ones), i.e. to boot (usually "live" Operating Systems) or to use the tools available in the grub4dos environment.

I mean,  there is no such thing as a "file explorer type tool" that you can add to Easy2boot, as what you add to E2B are either:

1. grub4dos tools/utilities (and there is among the very few of them not any "file manager", let alone one similar to Windows explorer)
  2. an Operating System (that may contain a "file explorer type tool", possibly similar to Windows Explorer or Windows Explorer itself)

So, you need to boot to an Operating System of some kind (through Easy2boot) BEFORE being able to use the "file explorer type tool".

The suggestion was that IF the idea is to quickly boot to an OS to do some file copy/move, you need a very small OS, and normally such small builds tend to have not much graphical support (and often are "command line only").

If you need something looking "similar to Windows Explorer", you will need a not-so-small build and thus it will be not-so-quick in booting.

If you want to build a PE, I have to presume based on Windows 7 sources, one of the easier is wimb's make_PE3 (which is however not particularly "small" in size/fast in booting):

http://reboot.pro/to...e-windows-7-pe/

(though there are several smaller winbuilder windows 7 based projects)

If you want to use a small Linux distro, you have more choices, though for the intended use I would recommend you to try DSL:

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

or Puppy Linux:

http://puppylinux.or...ing Started.htm

or Slitaz:

http://www.slitaz.org/

but there are literally tens of similar Linux mini-distro's, and it is difficult, as anyone has his/her own likes and dislikes, to provide a valid suggestion.

The good thing is that since Easy2boot is compatible (or Steve6375 will readily make it compatible :worship:) with any such distro you can easily try a bunch of them and see which one better fits your intended usage, but if you go the Linux way, you may not find it "simple" or "intuitive" (at least initially), on the other hand you also want it capable of making "complex" things (like working on GPT disks on a RAID controller, which may or may not be supported on "simple" OS's).

I was only trying to tell you that "simple" and "complex" are antonyms, and only you can find a suitable balance between the two... :)

Wonko

#338 dianedebuda

dianedebuda

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

there is no such thing as a "file explorer type tool" that you can add to Easy2boot

Perfect answer - even one that I can understand.  :clap: There a zillion tools out there that I'm unfamiliar with & it takes forever to sift through them.

A list of 3 small Linux to try.  Wonderful.  That is EXACTLY what I was looking for.  I do thank you.

#339 Carrot Cruncher

Carrot Cruncher
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

hi. first post here, hope i've picked the correct thread. i'm trying to get trinity to work under e2b. would anyone be able to explain the comments on the e2b page :
"DOES NOT WORK unlesss type sdb4"

i've created the fat16 image as per tutorial #58 and created a .mnu file based on the grub4dos config on the same page.

during boot the new partition gets created but then i get a file not found trying to load the kernel.

have i misunderstood what i need to do? cheers.

#340 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

If you just add the ISO file to E2B, it will fail to fully boot and prompt you to enter in the partition where the files are located. At that point you can enter sdb4 and it should then fully boot.

The instructions in Tutorial 58 will create a bootable img file which should boot automatically.

Post your mnu file - are you using the same version as in the tutorial (3.4)? Post the file names that you have copied to the \trk3 folder on the E2B drive.

#341 Carrot Cruncher

Carrot Cruncher
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

thanks for the response. my mnu file contains the following :

title trinity-rescue-kit.3.4-build-372.iso
#enable parttype output
debug 1
# check and then make empty table entry in 4th position in ptn table
parttype (hd0,3) | set check=
debug off
set check=%check:~-5,4%
if "%check%"=="0x00" partnew (hd0,3) 0 0 0
if not "%check%"=="0x00" echo WARNING: PTN TABLE 4 IS ALREADY IN USE! && pause
debug 1
partnew (hd0,3) 0x0 /TRK3P1.IMG
kernel /trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=65536 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 trkmenu vollabel=TRK3
initrd /trk3/initrd.trk

the conents of the /trk folder are:

total 16888
drwx------  3 root root    16384 Jan  1  1970 .
drwxr-x---+ 4 root  root        80 Oct 31 09:36 ..
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 11196288 Oct 30 15:10 initrd.trk
-rw-r--r--  1 root root  6070464 Oct 30 15:10 kernel.trk
drwx------  4 root root     4096 Apr 12  2011 trk3

/run/media/root/TRK3/trk3:
total 137024
drwx------ 4 root root      4096 Apr 12  2011 .
drwx------ 3 root root     16384 Jan  1  1970 ..
drwx------ 2 root root      4096 Feb 15  2006 captive
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root      1020 Jan 20  2010 mkpxelinux
drwx------ 3 root root      4096 Jun 19  2010 share
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     22576 Mar  1  2008 syslinux
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     24576 Apr  8  2008 syslinux.exe
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 134811648 Apr 12  2011 trkramfs
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   1934764 Apr 14  2008 trspack-1_0.exe
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   1739852 Apr 14  2008 trsrun-1_0.exe
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   1739312 Apr 14  2008 trsrun-1_0-nq.exe

/run/media/root/TRK3/trk3/captive:
total 8
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Feb 15  2006 .
drwx------ 4 root root 4096 Apr 12  2011 ..

/run/media/root/TRK3/trk3/share:
total 12
drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Jun 19  2010 .
drwx------ 4 root root 4096 Apr 12  2011 ..
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Aug 11  2010 pi

/run/media/root/TRK3/trk3/share/pi:
total 20
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Aug 11  2010 .
drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Jun 19  2010 ..
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2356 Jun 19  2010 pi.fr
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   84 Jun 19  2010 unpi.cfg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2065 Jun 19  2010 unpi.fr

#342 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:47 AM

So, on your USB drive you have:

\trk3\initrd.trk

\trk3\kernel.trk

\trk3p1.img

Which file is reported as missing by E2B?

#343 Carrot Cruncher

Carrot Cruncher
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

TRK3P1.IMG is in the root of the usb drive. initrd.trk & kernel.trk are in the root of the image file, along with the trk directory. it doesn't say which file is missing, it just displays the kernel line of the config and then says "file missing".

#344 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

why are the two *.trk files in the root! They should be in the \trk3 folder.

The kernel line is showing you what the error is - it cannot find \trk3\kernel.trk.

You need to extract the two files and put them in a trk3 folder on the USB DRIVE.

#345 Carrot Cruncher

Carrot Cruncher
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

ah, ok. i obviously misunderstood the instructions. files moved as advised, all working perfectly. many thanks for the help.

#346 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:15 PM

I have added a new feature in Easy2Boot v1.17 which allows you to semi-boot a DOS-emulation ISO - but when it boots to DOS, the files that are on the 'CD' part of the ISO will be found in drive B:. The ISO will fail to fully boot because the cdrom drivers and MSCDEX, etc. will fail to load and find a CD. However, the files will be available in drive B: (instead of drive S: or drive Y: or whatever the CD-ROM was mapped to). You can thus run any of the programs on the 'CD' part of the ISO by running them from drive B: instead.
See my blog for more details.

#347 nino

nino

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 15 November 2013 - 09:24 PM

Hello

I trial to make WinPE7 Windows worked make with WinBuilder Sur a CLE USB with 
Easy2Boot he demarre but he loads pilot not them because he goes up P there: and Winbuilder goes up Y there:
I have try plusier extention.isope and.isope01 anything has make when I open Imdisk virtual drive management
I voice: B: virtual memory ntfs 
  and: There: P:\WinPE\WinPE_x64.isop01 

if I click on Y: P:\WinPE\WinPE_x64.isop01 

Are that this possible to make it mounting Y automatically?

Thank you beforehand

#348 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:22 PM

Are you booting from a 'removable' USB Flash drive?

It should mount the ISO as Y: automatically if you use .isope01

#349 nino

nino

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:21 PM

I includes what you want to tell by 

Do you kick of a turn of Brightness of 'removable ' USB?

thank you for your reponse but I have try.isope01 but Y voice goes up not the cle usb and to take up under p me contents esay2boot

#350 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7567 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:50 PM

It is difficult to understand you. What is 'cle usb'? Is it a flash drive or a usb hard disk? If it is a flash drive, is it a removable disk or a fixed (loca) disk type?

When you use .isope01, do you see the blue WinPE shell windows and does it load the ISO as drive Y:?

If you want it to load the ISO as a different drive letter then read here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: grub4dos, rmprepusb, iso, boot

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users