#76 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 2095 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 2 weeks ago

Attached pictures of disk manager and uniqueid disk from diskpart, as you can see both have same uniqueid disk values.

A ramboot may (or may not) actually boot a volume "only".

Windows differentiation is (or at lest was) based on disks (not volumes) ID's.

Likely in your case of ramboot (cannot say if specific to the SVBus or not) the disk on which the boot volume resides (which is the VHD) is *somehow* not considered a "real" disk.

It seems it's in fact the opposite:

Having a uniqueid disk value on diskpart seems loaded on Ram as a disk.

All the internal HD partitions/drives are not colored (as this identify real drives I assume), but the one on Ram (X:\) is also not colored, so it seems it's "seen" as a real drive too.

The drive with a blue mark on top is the attached VHD, same way is shown when attached on the real OS.   I assume this blue mark is then used to identify virtual disks.

Any ideas?

alacran

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.png   43.82KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  2.png   13.45KB   0 downloads

#77 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15703 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 2 weeks ago

It could be the "at least was" in my previous post.

Windows 10 must have changed *something* in the way disks/volumes are considered, a known one is the way multi-volume "removable" USB sticks are assigned drive letters (they weren't in previous Windows versions).

Maybe now two "same" disks are "accepted" and they are differentiated by the "bus" to which they are connected or by some other characteristic. :unsure:

It is an interesting finding, as - if it is confirmed for "normal" disks - it opens the way for direct cloning (and restoring) of disks (which till now required to change one of the two Disk Signatures or UniqueID as seen in Diskpart).

:duff:

Wonko

#78 alacran

alacran

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 2095 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 2 weeks ago

Maybe now two "same" disks are "accepted" and they are differentiated by the "bus" to which they are connected or by some other characteristic. :unsure:

I don't think that is the reason as I have also Rambooted a Mini-8.1.vhd and also attached same VHD to make some changes in it, that's why I got the idea maybe SVBus driver has something to do with this, as that is the only thing in common.

It seems for now this behaviour will remain unexplained.

alacran

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: win10xpe_x64, flat install, compact install, vhd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users