#26 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3042 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:24 PM

I would see it as a "more portable" way, in the sense that with a little tweaking the exact same image could work from *any* media.

BTW, unknowingly, you just showed a form of lack of respect for erwan.l's work :w00t: :ph34r: by using NOT his nice :thumbsup: Offline Registry tool. :dubbio:

Maybe next time ;):

http://reboot.pro/to...527-offlinereg/

:duff:

Wonko

Well actually, your comment gave me indeed some idea for QuickPE :)

See post here where I use the excellent wimlib and the humble (  :suda:  ) offlinereg to customise my WinPE on the fly and therefore deliver an updated version of QuickPE.

#27 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1069 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:05 PM

I've been busy with testing and have put together a little document here - http://mistype.reboo...e.ram.usage.htm

Comments/feedback welcome.

Regards,

Misty

#28 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:28 AM

NIce work :thumbsup:

If I may, if you insert in the top left cell of the various tables (which is now blank) the amount of RAM to which the speed results correspond they would be clearer. :)

Wonko

#29 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1069 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

...If I may, if you insert in the top left cell of the various tables (which is now blank) the amount of RAM to which the speed results correspond they would be clearer. :)

Thanks for the feedback. A good suggestion - I will do this later. I will also be adding a brief walkthrough of the steps to create a Flat Boot WinPE/WinFE.

:cheers:

Misty

EDIT/UPDATE - added RAM in the relevant tables following Wonko's suggestion and also included instructions on creating a Flat Boot USB drive.

#30 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3042 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:31 AM

I've been busy with testing and have put together a little document here - http://mistype.reboo...e.ram.usage.htm

Comments/feedback welcome.

Regards,

Misty

Hi Misty,

Excellent writing and very detailed report.

Thanks for your research and testing !

Definitely goes into my favorites.

Happy to see that CloneDisk is also the fastest in most cases :clap: .

Regards,

Erwan

#31 misty

misty

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 1069 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

Excellent writing and very detailed report....Definitely goes into my favorites....Happy to see that CloneDisk is also the fastest in most cases :clap:

@erwan/l
Thanks for the positive feedback. I was also very pleased to see CloneDisk performing so well - very well done :worship:

As I have absolutely no programming skills (and neither the time nor the motivation/inclination to learn any) my own humble contributions to the community are limited to scripting, testing and documenting my results. It's nice to know my efforts are appreciated. :cheers:

Regards,

Misty

P.s. Due to family and work commitments I will not be around as much over the next few weeks - just because I don't log on doesn't mean I'm not checking in.

#32 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 16066 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:26 AM

Happy to see that CloneDisk is also the fastest in most cases :clap: .

I like optimism :).
But the objective result is that - with all due respect   :) - Clonedisk (which is - or should become - essentially or mainly a Disk Cloning/Imaging solution) has the same (or slightly faster) speed of one among two tools chosen at random that do have imaging capabilitiies but that are not "aimed" specifically to it.

I would say that this is to be considered NOT a point of arrival, but a mere point of departure .... ;)
http://reboot.pro/to...rthday/?p=15859
...still, I see that your attitude is the right one, which gives me reason for faith in the future of your new accomplishments :thumbsup:

As I have absolutely no programming skills (and neither the time nor the motivation/inclination to learn any) my own humble contributions to the community are limited to scripting, testing and documenting my results. It's nice to know my efforts are appreciated. :cheers:

Regards,

Misty

P.s. Due to family and work commitments I will not be around as much over the next few weeks - just because I don't log on doesn't mean I'm not checking in.

As a matter of fact, what you declare as your missing abilities turns out to be an advantage for the Community :), if you actually had those programming skills, most probably (like a number - though of course not all - of our "resident programmers") you would have less communication skills or less abilities in writing clear, simple (which is a "feature" IMHO) straight reports and documentation.

I regard the MistyPE project - which may (or may not) be the "best" Winbuilder Project around from a technical standpoint - as "the best current" one because it is "flexuble", it is "documented", it is "simple" and it is actually "followed" by the developer attentively (and done in an "open" approach, actually talking with users reporting issues, explaining what you are doing, etc.).  :worship:

And although soon someone may come out with a more integralist view on programming (which usually involves C, C++ or*whatever* advantages and "increased speed" of compiled vs. interpreted, and then some cryptic comment on calling API's and memory leaks ;)), actually scripting is a form of programming (or - maybe better - programming is a form of scripting), so, don't put you too down, I personally prefer a well written (and documented) script over any badly coded compiled program.

This "openness" reflects itself also in your way of saying things.

Examples.
What you wrote:

How a C++ or C# programmer(when in extremely talkative mood) would have said the same thing:

P.s. Going in stealth mode for some time.

While normally that would have been:

:rofl:

Wonko

#33 erwan.l

erwan.l

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3042 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:36 PM

I like optimism :).
But the objective result is that - with all due respect   :) - Clonedisk (which is - or should become - essentially or mainly a Disk Cloning/Imaging solution) has the same (or slightly faster) speed of one among two tools chosen at random that do have imaging capabilitiies but that are not "aimed" specifically to it.

I would say that this is to be considered NOT a point of arrival, but a mere point of departure .... ;)
http://reboot.pro/to...rthday/?p=15859
...still, I see that your attitude is the right one, which gives me reason for faith in the future of your new accomplishments :thumbsup:

Wonko

Optimism is actually my middle name ;)

I always see the full part of the bottle rather that the empty part : makes my life more pleasant (1) and my experience demonstrated that it is actually more efficient (2).

But you are right : CloneDisk is an ever improving project. Its a hobby, the way I like it.

Speed is actually last on my list of priorities : first comes reliability, second comes user friendliness (tough one as I am that kind of C++ dev guy you described in your previous post), last comes performance (which got improved thanks to threads over here around WinPE's).

Coming back to the topic :

-I indeed find remarkable the writing quality of Misty as not everyone will put some much efforts on that particular aspect.

-Scripting is definitely programming and once again the quality of the code written by Misty is remarkable.

Cheers,

Erwan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users