1 reply to this topic

#1 Burner727

Burner727

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:08 PM

So I have a person whose PC got hijacked and the exe file handlers in the registry have been altered so no exe will run, I got a VistaPE boot on there with PERegistry Loader but have had no luck in being able to edit the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT of the system on the hard drive, anyone know how to do this?

#2 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 November 2009 - 01:36 AM

So I have a person whose PC got hijacked and the exe file handlers in the registry have been altered so no exe will run, I got a VistaPE boot on there with PERegistry Loader but have had no luck in being able to edit the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT of the system on the hard drive, anyone know how to do this?

Use the Runscanner plugin, run the Remote Registry Editor shortcut it provides. HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT isn't really a registry hive, it's just a shortcut to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes, which is where you will find the keys.

But I hope you know a lot about what you are doing, because the organization of that section can be very complex and confusing. Have you tried Spybot Search and Destroy and/or MalwareBytes Anti-malware from VistaPE?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users