1101 replies to this topic

#876 protools_operator

protools_operator

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

Hey wimb, I'm watching closely on your projects for a few years now I must say they are really helpful for me and I appreciate it.

Until now I used to make universal images of windows with basic open source software installed, updates, driverpacks and custom scripts, imaged and deployed with clonezilla and it works very good.

I wonder if there are advantages using your method for universal imaging to make images deployed only on HDs?

Thanks.

#877 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2,167 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

Until now I used to make universal images of windows with basic open source software installed, updates, driverpacks and custom scripts, imaged and deployed with clonezilla and it works very good.

I wonder if there are advantages using your method for universal imaging to make images deployed only on HDs?

Thanks for your appreciation.

May be you can make a comparison and report about it.

:cheers:

#878 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2,167 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

-
*** Update IMG_XP_66 package ***

• Update - USB_XP_Fix.exe and USB_W7_Fix.exe can be used for Image files Or USB-drives to Fix Windows for booting from USB
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is 6.6
Download - IMG_XP_66

Run IMG_XP.exe and Extract to simple path

• kocoman likes this

#879 VV2006

VV2006

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
    Russian Federation

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

Hi Wimb.

I keep getting Standby System Failed error message always when I try to put my vhd XP machine into standby:
The device driver for the '"WinVBlock Disk" device is preventing the machine from entering standby. Please close all applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver. OK

Any way to avoid this problem? Not exist? Mission Impossible?

I think auto replace DriveLetter before Continue GUI-mode XP Setup on XP-1.vhd will be nice. I make this replace manually by Winhex offline edit in reg hiew system HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMMountedDevices value DosDevicesC: on DosDevicesX:

Thanks.

#880 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2,167 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

I have not used or needed Standby for WinVBlock Disk.
Such XP FILEDISK OS are really meant for Service purpose,
and I don't think there is at the moment a solution to your Standby problem.

migrate.inf can be used to set X: as drive letter.
WinNTSetup2_x86.exe will do it automatically for you in case of Install of Win7 in VHD or when prepairing partition for Install of XP
It has selectable option e.g. Mount installation drive as X:
http://www.msfn.org/...winntsetup-v23/

I will have a look what we can do for Install of XP in VHD by using VHD_XP_Create.exe ....

#881 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2,167 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

To get drive letter X: for XP-1.vhd you can add migrate.inf file to I386 folder of your XP Setup ISO file.
It requires some manual work before doing XP Setup, but it is working OK.

migrate.inf

[Version]

Signature = "$Windows NT$"

[Addreg]

HKLM,"SYSTEMMountedDevices",,0x00000010

HKLM,"SYSTEMMountedDevices","DosDevicesX:",0x00030001,

27,18,27,18,00,7e,00,00,00,00,00,00

It is needed to adjust previously in migrate.inf the disk signature 27,18,27,18
For that purpose you need to read the Disk Signature of the created XP-1.vhd
by using TinyHexer > File > Disk > Open disk image or large file > read 4 bytes at offset 1B8 on sector 0
Adjust migrate.inf to your Disk Signature and remake the XP Setup ISO file
and Reboot from Grub4dos menu to Start XP Setup in XP-1.vhd

Alternatively you can adjust the 4 Disk Signature bytes at Offset 1B8 in your XP-1.vhd
and make them equal to the value being used in your migrate.inf present in I386 folder of XP Setup ISO file.

#882 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2,167 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

-
*** Update IMG_XP_67 package ***

• Update - ImDisk version 1.6.0
  • Update - USB_XP_Fix.exe and IMG_XP_Compact.exe and IMG_XP_Restore.exe
    SCSI / Raid Controller Support for XP comparable to Windows 7
  • Update - UsbBootWatcher is used to keep intelppm Service Start=3 necessary to prevent BSOD 7E
    that would occur after Install of Intel Processor followed by booting with AMD machine
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is 6.7

Download - IMG_XP_67

=======================================================================

USB_XP_Fix.exe - SCSI / Raid Controller Support for XP comparable to Windows 7

- Add SCSI / Raid Drivers from the required WindowsDriverPacksM integrated via KTD option
- Add Service and CriticalDeviceDatabase Registry from IMG_XPmakebtregistry_tweaksSCSI

17 Extra SCSI /Raid drivers are Installed + about 650 extra CriticalDeviceDatabase Registry entries :cheerleader:

Class=SCSIAdapter
ClassGUID={4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Service - MassStorage subfolder of integrated WINDOWSDriverPacksM

adp94xx - IB - Adaptec SAS/SATA Controllers
adpu320 - AD - Adaptec Ultra320 SCSI Controllers
arc - AD - Adaptec RAID Controllers
arcsas - AD - Adaptec RAID Controllers
elxstor - E - Emulex Storport Miniport Driver
LSI_SAS - L - LSI and DELL SAS Controllers
LSI_SAS2 - L0 - LSI PCI Fusion-MPT SAS2 Driver Install Disk (StorPort)
LSI_SCSI - L - LSI Ultra320 SCSI
megasas - L - MEGARAID family of RAID Controllers
MegaSR - L - LSI and Intel MegaRAID Controllers
nfrd960 - IB3 - IBM ServeRAID 4Mx/4Lx/5i/6M/6i/7k Device Driver
nvraid - N - NVIDIA nForce™ RAID Class Driver
sisraid2 - SS - SiS 0182/1182 Raid Controller
sisraid4 - SS2 - SiS AHCI Controller
cpqcissm - C - HP Smart Array 5x and 6x Controllers
hpcissm2 - C - HP SAS/SATA Smart Array controllers
viamraid - V - VIA RAID Controller

v12 version is needed - tested with DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_1209.7z

=======================================================================

#883 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2,167 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

-
*** Update IMG_XP_68 package ***

MassStorage Driver Support for XP will Install about 130 drivers from DriverPacksM
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is 6.8
Download - IMG_XP_68

MassStorage Driver Option will Install about 130 drivers from the required WINDOWSDriverPacksM folder integrated via KTD option
- Add to system32drivers about 130 drivers - 17 MB - IDE and SCSI and Raid Controllers necessary for booting XP on various hardware
- Add Service and CriticalDeviceDatabase Registry from IMG_XPmakebtregistry_tweaksMSST folder

MSSTMake.exe was used to make file critical.inf with the Service and CriticalDeviceDatabase Registry entries.
DX Inf2Reg Tool in right-click menu converts critical.inf to registry file from which the tweaks in MSST folder were derived.

The previous SCSI option added only 17 drivers, whereas the present MassStorage option installs 130 Controller drivers.
This MassStorage Option will be especially useful as SysPrep in case of Restore of XP on Unknown New Hardware,
or it may provide extra Controller drivers to solve boot problems when booting XP Portable or Mini VHD on New Hardware.

MSSTMake - http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=22313

DX Inf2Reg - http://www.ryanvm.ne...opic.php?t=9945

#884 brojo

brojo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

I keep getting Standby System Failed error message always when I try to put my vhd XP machine into standby:
The device driver for the '"WinVBlock Disk" device is preventing the machine from entering standby. Please close all applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver.

I have the same problem with Winvblock on my XP images (for W7 images I can use the native HBA driver which is fine). I don't have this problem with Firadisk on my images but this driver only allows me to run in ram, is there a way to make Firadisk also work as a 'filedisk' driver? Then all my problems would be solved!

Wimb, in your firadisk_help.txt in IMG_XPmakebtfiradisk-driver-0.0.1.30-f6 folder you mentioned exactly the problem I have "In case of booting XP Image file as FiraDisk FILEDISK, then booting is freezing with running Windows Logo" and a solution "for version 0.0.1.30 by changing the LoadOrder Group to SCSI miniport instead of originally Boot Bus Extender" but I did not get this to work for .vhd files, whether by using your provided firadisk folder- or .img- versons (e.g. your modified firadisk.img or the original in fira2k3.img) or whether by changing the LoadOrder Group in the .inf manually in some of the latest Firadisk versons.

It would be great if there was a way to make firadisk work as a "filedisk" driver.
So if there is a working method, please let us know!

Edited by brojo, 22 November 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#885 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1,672 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

I have the same problem with Winvblock on my XP images (for W7 images I can use the native HBA driver which is fine). I don't have this problem with Firadisk on my images but this driver only allows me to run in ram, is there a way to make Firadisk also work as a 'filedisk' driver? Then all my problems would be solved!

Alternatively, if WinVBlock allowed sleep mode, then your problem would also be solved!

Do you know what the "Fi" in "Firadisk" represents? Firadisk means "File and RAM Disk." Thus it is a file-backed virtual disk driver. Perhaps if you look at Karyonix' documentation in Karyonix' Firadisk thread(s), you will gain some insight into how to use the driver. In particular, look for Boot.Ini instructions.
  • brojo likes this

#886 brojo

brojo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

I am happy as I managed to use Firadisk (as ramdisk) and Winvblock (as filedisk) to boot from a XP Pro 64bit hdd image and not need W7 in .vhd to access all memory and 2TB+ drives!
Here is my noob :baby: description of how i got it to work (in case somebody else is still looking for a solution). I hope it is not inappropriate to post it here!
1. boot to a already installed OS and prepare a USB stick:
- make it boot G4D + add typical menu.lst entries (e.g. using a howto for both from rmprepusb.com)
- copy XP-x64 iso file (AHCI drivers integrated, or else booting in IDE mode and adding AHCI after installation) + latest Firadisk / winvblock floppy image
(both drivers worked out of the box for the present purpose of installing XP to a real hdd (though only Winvblock listed a mapped .vhd file as disk during install, which Firadisk did not)
2. boot first stage and after reboot second stage of installation via the prepared USB:
. - keep all disks/partitions with OS or PBR bootcode disconnected/invisible except the USB and one single empty target HDD to install XP-x64 on
(failing to do so resulted in the partition boot record from the active preexisting OS's being changed to point to ntldr and needed to be rewritten!!)
N.B. during first stage of install I deleted any preexisting partitions (made sure no needed data was on it) and create new install partition spanning the drive
3. finalise install, finalise preferences and install 'filedisk' and/or 'ramdisk' driver:
- boot it to disable system restore, hibernation and pagefile & set up preferences e.g. user and desktop properties, folder options, drive letters, etc...
- install Firadisk driver (for 'ramdisk' boot) and/or winVBlock driver (for 'filedisk' boot): Firadisk works out of the box; WinVBlock does not, but see below:*,**
- verify their proper installation: reboot until the driver's own name is listed in device manager without a warning under SCSI/RAID devices and reboot again successfully, without getting any BSOD!
(NB if only installing a ramdisk driver obviously any changes and install of necessary hardware drivers needs to be done before the next step because the resulting image would only load in ram and be only offline modifiable, if also or only installing a filedisk driver this is not a worry of course)
4. image the finalised installation hdd to .vhd :
- boot to the other OS and create an empty .Vhd file (I used Wimb's VHD_XP_Create.exe for this to be on the safe side) and attach it with disk manager;
- start a hdd to vhd imaging tool: I used a portable MiniTool Partition Wizard Home edition I had: select Wizard>Copy Disk Wizard and went on to select the freshly installed hdd as source and my attached .vhd as destination drive and hit apply
(N.B. I vainly tried disk2vhd as it produces dynamicly sized vhd's which don't work with G4D+fira/WinvBlk unless it is copied or modified into a fixed size vhd)
5. done! I can now successfully boot to and use the XP-x64 .vhd via my present G4D bootloader menu
I hope this might help some!

*To modify WinVBlock:
choose a specific 0.0.1.8 version that contains the WVBlk64.sys file of size 26kb!, but then also its .inf file needed to be edited:
I used the .inf of another WinVBlock and symply removed any [PdoDone], [BootStart] and [StartService] resulting in an .inf file different from the original .inf of my version in that under both the [Service] and the [Service.NTamd64] entries the StartType was changed to 0x00000002 and at the bottom of both entries were added "LoadOrderGroup=SCSI miniport" and "AddReg=BootStart".
CAVEAT: not all of these these changes I made to the inf file may be neccesary, I have very little understanding of IT, let alone what these entries exactly do. I just compared this .inf file with that of some other versons and experimented untill something worked):
**To install either two drivers (I suppose if installing both it is best to verify the proper install of one before proceeding to install the other):
Firadisk: right click the .inf file, choose install and reboot to get the add hardware window and locate the same.inf file with have disk;
WinVBlock: follow the instructions under "To install using SC.Exe" in Wimb's Readme.txt in his IMG_XPWinVBlock_Install folder but copy wvblk64.sys instead of wvblk32.sys and accordingly change in the cmd code wvblk32.sys with wvblk.64.sys

Edited by brojo, 22 November 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#887 brojo

brojo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

Sha0,
Yes, if WinVblock would allow that, that would be great too!!
Does Winvblock allow ramdisk boot of a hdd image ".vhd" (an do I need to do something specific to make that work)?
Many thanks for the tip about the boot.ini instructions. :thumbsup:
I'll look into that and hopefully I'll get it to work...

Edited by brojo, 22 November 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#888 brojo

brojo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

I am assuming now that it must be possible to create a floppy image of modified Winvblock files (such as those from my anterior post today) for direct install of XP x64 in a HDD image with Wimb's VHD_XP_Create.exe.
I created a few variants of such a floppy image but (with each of them) at the first stage of setup, though Winvblock driver is selected without notification of error and setups continues with the message 'Setup is starting windows',after a few moments the screen turns blue and hangs there without any error messages or anything...
It might be useful to other users too to include a working floppy image for XP x64 in the IMG_XP package. For the moment however I want to concentrate on getting Firadisk to work as 'filedisk driver' in XP x64 so I'm going to give this up for now. Unless somebody has any good pointers/ideas or wants to do it himself?
In any case I could post or send the winvblock files that i used for the real XP x64 hdd installation imaged to vhd if there is an interest for such...

#889 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

Does Winvblock allow ramdisk boot of a hdd image ".vhd" (an do I need to do something specific to make that work)?

Yes, it does. If you establish the RAM disk with either GRUB4DOS' map --mem or with Syslinux' MEMDISK, then WinVBlock will find the disk. However, the WinVBlock driver needs to be a boot-start service if you are planning on using the RAM disk for your boot volume.
  • brojo likes this

#890 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2,167 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:58 AM

-
*** Update IMG_XP_69 package ***
    MassStorage System Bus Extender get Start=0 for drivers aliide amdbusdr amdide atiide jraid nvrd32 siside videX32
    Extra CriticalDeviceDatabase entries added for iaStor ahcix86 nvgts and fasttx2k drivers
    IMG_XP_Compact.exe will copy DP LAN so that we Keep 4 DriverPacks C CPU M and L
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is 6.9
Download - withdrawn, corrected version will appear later ....

#891 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2,167 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

-
*** Update IMG_XP_70 package ***

MassStorage Bus Extender Start=0 for drivers aliide amdbusdr amdide atiide jraid nvrd32 siside videX32
    Extra CriticalDeviceDatabase entries added for iaStor ahcix86 nvgts and fasttx2k drivers
    IMG_XP_Compact.exe will copy DP LAN so that we Keep 4 DriverPacks C CPU M and L
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is 7.0

Download - IMG_XP_70

#892 Doodoo

Doodoo

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 344 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

if WinVBlock allowed sleep mode, then your problem would also be solved!

Is that only wishful thinking ? Or is it likely to be the case, some day ?

#893 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Is that only wishful thinking ? Or is it likely to be the case, some day ?

Since Microsoft allows for a boot from VHD to sleep[1], there probably isn't a fundamental reason why it cannot be done. It's on the to-do list.

[1] Understanding Virtual Hard Disks with Native Boot

#894 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2,167 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

MassStorage Driver Option will Install about 130 drivers from the required WINDOWSDriverPacksM folder integrated via KTD option
- Add to system32drivers about 130 drivers - 17 MB - IDE and SCSI and Raid Controllers necessary for booting XP on various hardware
- Add Service and CriticalDeviceDatabase Registry from IMG_XPmakebtregistry_tweaksMSST folder

Just to give some feeling for the difference that the present approach makes:

Install of about 130 extra MassStorage Controllers and adding about 2800 extra hardware ID entries in the CriticalDeviceDatabase
means that the XP VHD Image files are a lot more Universal for booting on various hardware.

This approach is comparable to integrating DPs Mass Storage Drivers in LiveXP and TXT-mode XP Setup.
In that case the same extra Hwids appear in [HardwareIdsDatabase] section of TXTSETUP.SIF and via ntdetect.com
can be used to install the required driver for booting with GUI-mode of XP-Setup.

In Windows 7 a lot of extra Hwids for using drivers are default built-in in the CriticalDeviceDatabase registry
whereas for Windows 8 such entries are collected in the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMDriverDatabaseDeviceIds] registry

#895 brojo

brojo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:20 PM

Thanks so much four your help Sha0 (and of course all other contributers and testers such as karyonix, Wimb, etc...)!
Installing XP x64 directly to hd image and booting from it now became so easy and works without a hitch (code put in menu.lst instead of boot.ini)!
Everything I could ever want from booting an OS to hd image seems to work flawlessly for now (except booting Linux/OSX and using differencing disks of course, but that's future music) so I am very happy! Thanks again!!

There is only one odd thing that I could not prevent from happening whichever install parameters I used and which don't understand and thus makes me worry just a tiny bit about reliability/stability... namely after some reboots I could only boot again in safe mode which was magically solved when connecting an additional harddiesk to my pc.

I explain more fully what happens, following karyonix's post 431 on http://reboot.pro/to...0/page__st__425 :
I booted from an usb with untuched XP x64 iso (except for integrating my MoBo's AHCI drivers) + an untouched firadisk.img 0.0.1.30 + untouched menu.lst entries from karyonix post above. My pc then I had only one freshly formated internal hd connected on which I had copied a file "XP-1.vhd" freshly made with Wimb's XP_VHD_Create.exe. The image showed up without hitch at setup and I installed to it leaving filesystem intact. I went through the whole setup process and booting to it several times without a hitch.
Then when I booted for an nth time and only changed one single thing, e.g. in one of my trials I only changed my sound preferences (selecting no sound on startup and shutdown) then the image would hang on the xp splash screen and not prepare desktop unless I booted safe mode.
I had not attached or detached any real hardware during all this time but I found that when I added just a second harddisk to my pc (if only a disk with only a music backup and no bootcode or hd image whatsoever on it) all of a sudden the image would boot fine... strange!!

Just to be explicit the boot.ini on the hd image is the standard boot ini (since the vmem code could be moved to the menu.lst):
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64 Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

and I used only the menu.lst entries from karyonix post above with an added entry to boot from image when an additional hd was attached:
title Boot XP VHD as Filedisk
map --heads=2 --sectors-per-track=18 --mem (md)0x800+4 (99)
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /XP-1.vhd
map /XP-1.vhd (hd0)
map --hook
write (99) [FiraDisk]nStartOptions=disk,vmem=find:/XP-1.vhd,boot;n0
#find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /ntldr (commented/removed this line as only 1 hd is mapped with single partition)
chainloader /ntldr

title Boot XP VHD as Ramdisk
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /XP-1.vhd
map --mem /XP-1.vhd (hd0)
map --hook
#find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /ntldr (idem)
chainloader /ntldr

I would be really grateful to learn why this should happen!

Edited by brojo, 26 November 2012 - 05:37 PM.

#896 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:15 PM

I would be really grateful to learn why this should happen!

I would expect that this is because there is still a race condition with regards to booting a file-backed disk from USB. It could be the same thing with Firadisk as it is with WinVBlock. wimb has noticed that a storage controller driver introduces a delay which seems to help wimb's trials. In your case, once the first HDD was installed, the storage controller driver would not introduce as long a delay for subsequent boots, so the race condition would be more prominent. Once you installed a second HDD, that slowed down the storage controller driver again and helped to delay again. You might find that after n more boots, you get stuck again.

#897 brojo

brojo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

Thanks for your response Sha0!
In case I'd get stuck after adding the other drivers (this only happened once with black screen after windows splash screen) or for when i do such an install on laptop (only one hdd):
is there a way out such as setting up the system so that the storage controller keeps sufficient delay or something? How whould I go about avoiding such problem right at install?

I hit one more problem while I was doing various other trials (editing the inf file or following karyonix method C in post 286 of the same thread) but I always had the same problem with different parameters of direct install with firadisk to image:
I found that though my portable apps ran fine on direct installs of an XP-64 image booted as filedisk with firadisk but the system would hang in the process of running some exe files
(e.g. one to install network drivers or one being the general exe from Gigabyte's driver cd). Whereas these exe's ran fine when the same image was booted to ram!
What could be the problem here (something related to writing to the registry?) and how could I solve this?
Thanks again for your help!

#898 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2,167 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

Happy to hear you succeed in Install and booting x64 XP Image as FILEDISK and using FiraDisk driver.

Some more Info on Direct Install of XP from USB and using FiraDisk driver is given here
http://reboot.pro/to...sata-hard-disk/
http://www.msfn.org/...331#entry957331

Personally I have no experience with x64 XP.
I think your results will be interesting for others working with x64 XP.

#899 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1,672 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:40 AM

In case I'd get stuck after adding the other drivers (this only happened once with black screen after windows splash screen) or for when i do such an install on laptop (only one hdd):
is there a way out such as setting up the system so that the storage controller keeps sufficient delay or something? How whould I go about avoiding such problem right at install?

This is the topic of the WaitBt thread.

I hit one more problem while I was doing various other trials (editing the inf file or following karyonix method C in post 286 of the same thread) but I always had the same problem with different parameters of direct install with firadisk to image:
I found that though my portable apps ran fine on direct installs of an XP-64 image booted as filedisk with firadisk but the system would hang in the process of running some exe files

What kind of hang? Does the mouse cursor still move? Does the hang ever resume?

I just noticed that installing WinVBlock along Firadisk and booting it with normal G4D entry (without passing the image filename in boot.ini or extra G4D line) solved the problem of not being able to run exe files but then sleep would not be working as expected (I remember a workaround by installing and pseudo-disabeling WinVblock but I can't seem to reproduce it for the moment).

WinVBlock has code that explicitly prevents the system from sleeping, so I don't understand how you ever had a work-around, short of not having WinVBlock running. This code will most likely be removed from the next version of WinVBlock.

#900 brojo

brojo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

Thank you both for your kind support!

WinVBlock has code that explicitly prevents the system from sleeping, so I don't understand how you ever had a work-around, short of not having WinVBlock running. This code will most likely be removed from the next version of WinVBlock.

That is great news!! (btw your latest version is that win7block/b57769f?) Yes, wvblk could not be running. I found it is not a very reliable solution to mess with enabling-disabling it (or renaming WVBlk64.sys) since I can't seem to to run it as a filedisk (without vmem line in G4D) as I though I once did.

What kind of hang? Does the mouse cursor still move? Does the hang ever resume?

Strange, I was able to install all kinds of (non-portable) applications such as Firefox, Thunderbird, File recovery, File renamer etc...
Then I tried to run exe's to install the network drivers or vga drivers of Gigabyte website, again: hang. Mouse still working, some windows moved under it (not device manager) and taskbar is unresponsive, as was ctr alt del, I think.
On reboot event viewer showed no errors that seemed significant (a double dcom error at startup time and an error about WinAutomaticUpdate about the exact time of install network driver).
Now I tried install vga driver with task manager running, it completed video component and on audio a progress bar that advanced but repated-asdvanced-repeated,... endlessly. Task manager showed Explorer hung, CPU:0 mem:250MB (out of 7,5GB), I ended the install exe in task manager and then ended explorer too but after half an hour still: hang but mouse moving. Rebooted but no XP splash screen this time: just ink black even with F8 'use last known good config.' :-(

Edited by brojo, 30 November 2012 - 01:00 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vhd, tutorial

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users