• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

hi wimb,
when i was installing xp in the xp-1.vhd file,there was an error like

setup cannot copy winvblk.exe

but i could install xp skipping the above file...what is it??is it necessary..?

#777 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2281 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:53 AM

when i was installing xp in the xp-1.vhd file,there was an error like

setup cannot copy winvblk.exe

but i could install xp skipping the above file...what is it??is it necessary..?

winvblk.exe is a program to install the WinVBlock driver and not used in this case.
So it is save to skip copy of winvblk.exe

What is the reason that you got this error that should not occur in normal cases ?
Did you deviate from the described procedure e.g. by modifying txtsetup.sif ?

:cheers:

#778 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2281 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:57 AM

Otherwise:
1.install USBoot DriveGuard on your local image (Extract the package, right click on ubdrvgd.inf, click on install and that's it!)
2.boot from another OS and copy the image on a usb hardisk using IMG_BOOT.exe
3.Fix the image on your usb hardisk using XP_USB_Fix.exe

and it will work. Don't worry if when you boot XP from usb it says that USBGuard is not initialized, it works the same! :yess: :clap:
Thanks to Doodoo for discovering this fix :)

Be sure to read here for more info
http://reboot.pro/14130/

Install of USBoot DriveGuard in your XP Source Image file is really a good solution to prevent BSOD 7B in booting from USB. :clap:
Recently I got BSOD 7B in booting my Universal XP Image file from USB on ASUS P4P800-E with Intel Pentium 4 processor.
Allthough this computer is from 8 years ago, it has surprisingly very fast BIOS for booting from USB.
Maybe that fast USB boot speed is part of the problem.

To solve it I first followed the advice of Doodoo to replace usbhub.sys and usbstor.sys by their XP Embedded versions.
That did not solve the problem. Also using different hal settings in boot.ini were NOT solving the problem.

Then After booting with XP Image from USB on other computer I used R-mouse on ubdrvgd.inf file in USBoot 2.11 folder to Install the DriveGuard driver.
Then booting this modified XP Image file from USB on the P4P800-E is working OK :1st:
Thanks to Doodoo and Michele13 for solving this BSOD 7B problem in booting XP Image file from USB.

It is good to mention that Portable Win 7 Image file is booting from USB on this P4P8800-E without any problem.

#779 Michele13

Michele13

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 167 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

wimb I have another problem :) I've tried to make a MiniXP using the IMG_XPCMD.exe using a IMG_XP_Compact image but I get an error that says that there was not enogh space. I Even tried allocating 2.5GB on the MiniXP.img but it doesn't work! There is a Screenshot

Attached Files

#780 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2281 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

@Michele13

What OS version do you use ? Can you try again running IMG_XPCMD.exe in 32-bits XP OS ?

The Mini XP Version made with IMG_XP_Compact.exe is the same as Mini XP made with IMG_XPCMD.exe from XP Image file.
There is no functional difference.

#781 Michele13

Michele13

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 167 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

I am using a 32 bit PC so my XP is a 32 bit Version. Did you see the screenshot?

#782 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2281 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

Yes I have seen the screenshot.
The problem does not occur here. Did you use default settings or did you make changes in Settings ?
Can you use different source e.g. VHD with fresh Installed XP SP3 by using VHD_XP_Create.exe
Don't Install the Video driver, just keep the one Installed by XP SP3
http://reboot.pro/9830/

Can you use R-mouse to mount XPCMD-1.img from folder IMG_XPCMDXPCMD_SRCtemp in ImDisk Virtual drive.
In XPCMD-1 Virtual Drive open Command Prompt and make Filelist by using command

dir /b /s /on /a-d > dir-XPCMD-1.txt

Please Attach the Filelist of your XPCMD-1.img Image file.

#783 Michele13

Michele13

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 167 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

Here is the output of the dir command. I used a IMG file created with IMG_XP_Compact.exe as source and then selected keep driver packs, add audio support, printer support and that's it I even tried to make a more larger output image but I get always this error :(

Attached Files

#784 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 414 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

I've been trying to install Portable XP on an old laptop but it kept hanging at around 77-79% on the first stage, copying files. I might have messed up by formatting the IMG though! I have to create the IMG on another PC and then copy it over as the laptop doesn't have an NTFS partition so IMG_XP_Create.exe won't create the IMG on there. So I thought I'd do the first stage on my other PC with Virtualbox as it's only copying the files to the VHD.

So I created the VHD with VHD_XP_Create.exe, mounted that and my XP.iso in Virtualbox and let it copy the files (no reformat this time!)

However, when I try and mount it on the laptop to do the second stage, it says it can't detect how many heads there are and I should try --heads=0 and then it says it can't detect how many sectors there are and I should try --sectors-per-track=0 and then it loads but just BSOD. The autocreated menu.lst doesn't contain any --heads=0 or --sectors-per-track=0 so I don't think these should be necessary normally.

#785 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2281 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

Here is the output of the dir command. I used a IMG file created with IMG_XP_Compact.exe as source and then selected keep driver packs, add audio support, printer support and that's it I even tried to make a more larger output image but I get always this error :(

I can see your FileCopy is incomplete, since WINDOWSWinSxS folder is missing.
Strange enough the folder Fix is present, which is copied later by the program.

I think your problem is not in the program.
Please make a fresh start with new download and fresh Install of XP in VHD as Source and using default settings in IMG_XPCMD.exe

#786 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2281 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

@doveman

I think for Install of XP in VHD there is no requirement for NTFS format of the Target Drive where the VHD is created.
When Installing XP in VHD then you should NOT format at Setup, but just keep settings.

2. Run VHD_XP_Create.exe to create XP-1.vhd and Grub4dos Boot Menu for Install of XP in VHD
- Select Local Harddisk as Target drive and select XP Setup ISO file located in root of Target Drive
3. Reboot and in Grub4dos menu select Start XP Setup on XP-1.vhd - WinVBlock driver
- XP-1.vhd has already NTFS compressed format, so you should NOT format at Setup, just keep settings
- Format XP-1.img inside XP Setup cannot be used, it results in corrupt message
4. After Reboot select Continue XP Setup and then Reboot to Start XP from Image XP-1.vhd

#787 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 346 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

I think Michele13 is not wrong, there is a problem about space requirements, I had reported it earlier, I will try and find the post. My guess is that some where, some program ( xcopy ?), does not realise it is copying files to a compressed drive. It compares the uncompressed size of files remaining to be copied with the space left on the (compressed) destination drive and finds it not sufficient. I could be wrong.

I carried out a trial again, source is a 1GB VHD (730MB used). With a 0,8GB target it fails even though the final size of files copied is just 0.5GB. It succeeds with a 1GB target. I managed to capture a error message that always points to the same file - whether the target is 0.5GB, 0.7GB or 0.8GB.
error mesg appears briefly : https://sites.google...p_comp_err3.png
final error mesg : https://sites.google...p_comp_err4.png
properties for the 3 vhds : https://sites.google...p_comp_err5.png

left is source, middle is 1GB target (OK, 500MB used), right is 0,8GB target (fail).

Edit : OK, here are the links :
http://reboot.pro/98...500#entry149386
http://reboot.pro/98...525#entry149502
http://reboot.pro/98...525#entry149513

#788 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2281 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:06 PM

I carried out a trial again, source is a 1GB VHD (730MB used). With a 0,8GB target it fails even though the final size of files copied is just 0.5GB. It succeeds with a 1GB target. I managed to capture a error message that always points to the same file - whether the target is 0.5GB, 0.7GB or 0.8GB.

Why do you want to put 730 MB into 0.8 GB target file ? There is not enough free space for XP to work.
It is to be expected that the program refuses this case and as you say it does NOT fail in case of a 1 GB target.

The other case is due to a missing file (Info FileCopy Error).
You did not use fresh installed Full XP in VHD as source,
but instead you used TINY XP in VHD as Source where that file is missing.
Probably it will work if you change mini_xp.txt file in folder IMG_XP_C
by using leading ; so that such lines are treated as comment, like

; WINDOWSsystem32en-USmstsc.exe.mui

; WINDOWSsystem32en-USmstscax.dll.mui

#789 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 414 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

@doveman

I think for Install of XP in VHD there is no requirement for NTFS format of the Target Drive where the VHD is created.
When Installing XP in VHD then you should NOT format at Setup, but just keep settings.

Thanks wimb, I don't know why I didn't try just try that :doh7: (probably because the HDD is so slow I thought it would be quicker doing as much as possible on another PC!)

#790 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 346 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

the source is 730MB, but the final miniXP is 500MB, so it should have fit in a 0.8GB vhd.
the file mstsc.exe.mui is present in the source.
i was just trying to show that maybe copying files to a compressed target is tricky - you can never really tell if a file (or files) will fit in the target.
https://sites.google...p_comp_err4.png shows 659MB free space and it still fails.
anyway not really a problem ... forget it.

#791 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2281 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:53 AM

Using the Keep DriverPacks and Printer Support options can be the source of your Overflow.

What DriverPacks do you try to add to mini XP ?
What is in your source XP Image file the size of WINDOWSDriverPacks folder ?
What is in your source XP Image file the size of WINDOWSsystem32spool folder ?

#792 Michele13

Michele13

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 167 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

I'll check! :) Well I'm adding the DriverPacks that were used in the Universal XP IMG! (LAN, WLAN, Chipset, Mass Storage and CPU) :)

#793 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 346 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

hi, hope i'm not bothering you too much, but ...

i noticed the file mstsc.exe.mui was read-only. i removed the read-only flag in the source and ... no error message !

what is the typical size of a mini xp ? i know you won't approve, ;-) , but i got a 225 mb minixp in a 0.5gb img and it seems to boot. is that ok ?

the autoit manual (filecopy) does state "Some file attributes can make the overwriting impossible."

#794 Michele13

Michele13

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 167 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

I'll check! :) Well I'm adding the DriverPacks that were used in the Universal XP IMG! (LAN, WLAN, Chipset, Mass Storage and CPU) :)

WINDOWSDriverPacks 70.6MB
WINDOWSsystem32spool 187KB

#795 gogetax64

gogetax64

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    Puerto Rico

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

Hi... I Want to tell that I am writing this on a "Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x86 SP2 w/16Gb of RAM" created with "IMAGE_XP" and is working fine(3GB-IMG)...
PC Specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8150
RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
VGA: nVIDIA Gforce GTS 250 512-RAM
Source OS: Win8 x64
"I Load The IMG on RAM and the system tells me that i have left 12.9GB of RAM Usable"...

Edited by gogetax64, 02 September 2012 - 02:01 PM.

• wimb likes this

#796 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2281 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

Hi... I Want to tell that I am writing this on a "Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x86 SP2 w/16Gb of RAM" created with "IMAGE_XP" and is working fine(3GB-IMG)...

Thanks for reporting good results :)

@Michele13
The size of spool and DriverPacks folders are not the reason of your Overflow problem.
May be try to Uncheck NTFS compression with IMG Size = 0.6 GB and see if it works for you.

@gbrao
The typical size of Mini XP OS is 170 MB in 400 MB NTFS compressed Image file. (using default settings)

#797 Michele13

Michele13

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 167 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

@Michele13 The size of spool and DriverPacks folders are not the reason of your Overflow problem. May be try to Uncheck NTFS compression with IMG Size = 0.6 GB and see if it works for you

Still not working

#798 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2281 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

Still not working

Then use VHD_XP_Create.exe to do fresh Install of XP in VHD (don't install video driver) and use this VHD as Source.
http://reboot.pro/9830/

I don't know what is the origin of your Overflow problem when using the present IMG as Source.
May be it is not Overflow but just unable to copy some files with read-only flag in the source ....like gbrao experienced.
Something for you to find out ....?

#799 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 414 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:02 PM

@doveman

wimb,

Unfortunately that doesn't work as VHD_XP_Create.exe only works on Win7 and the (old) laptop only has XP. I'll try just creating the VHD with VHD_XP_Create.exe on my other PC and copying it to the laptop and see if that works.

EDIT: It seems VHD_XP_Create.exe in IMG_XP_61 is different as it now runs on XP but it still won't let me create the VHD without a NTFS partition.

#800 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2281 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:26 PM

EDIT: It seems VHD_XP_Create.exe in IMG_XP_61 is different as it now runs on XP but it still won't let me create the VHD without a NTFS partition.

The VHD has NTFS (compressed) Format , but I think the Target Drive where it is created can have FAT32 format,
which I understand was your requirement.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vhd, tutorial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users