#551 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 444 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

OK, but like I said I looked at WinNTSetup and didn't see a way to disable the USB part (i.e. just install into a VHD) and I'm not sure what to select for the Bootdrive or if it's going to write to that drive.

I was just thinking it might be easier to add an entry to my grub4dos menu to boot the VHD, rather than alter my Win7 bootmenu (it's also easier to remove the entry from grub4dos and means I can boot the VHD from the first menu, rather than going grub4dos->BootManager to select it).

#552 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2651 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

I don't see a USB part in WinNTSetup ..... What do you mean ?
You can click on VHD to create VHD and Install to that VHD.

WinNTSetup will only make VHD entry in BCD file on BootDrive to display option for booting VHD from BootManager Menu
The Installation drive is where WinNTSetup will write the files needed for Install of Win7
As Installation drive you should select the attached VHD drive (mounting is done by WinNTSetup)

In case of Ultimate version and using Microsoft VHD driver, then there is no direct Grub4dos boot option available.
You always need to go through BootManager menu in this case.

#553 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 444 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

Sorry, my bad. I misread your guide and thought that WinNTSetup also copied the VHD to the USB and then we booted from the USB :blush:

Thanks for reassuring me about the Bootdrive. I think I'm ready to give it a go now ;)

#554 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 444 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

I did a little experiment to see if I could test in Virtualbox rather than having to reboot.

I already had a VDI with grub4dos installed, so I booted with that, with the VHD attached as the secondary drive.

Then I used the following grub4dos entry to boot:

map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /bootmgr

and it does boot but when it gets to "Setup is starting services" it gives an error "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation" and does the same every time I reboot.

I thought perhaps instead I need to boot from grub4dos to Win7 Bootmanager (on my grub4dos VDI) and then have an entry in that to boot the VHD. However, I have a Win7 ThinPC Virtualbox, so I booted to that with the VHD attached as secondary, ran EasyBCD to add an entry for the VHD (which appeared as drive D:, so I added a boot entry for that drive, not a VHD entry) and rebooted and selected it from the Bootmanager, but I still get the same error. :dubbio:

Any ideas on how to make this work as it would save me a lot of time being able to test in Virtualbox, rather than having to reboot my real PC?

EDIT: I did try first to boot the VHD directly in virtualbox (i.e. as the only attached drive) but it gives me a "Fatal: INT18: Boot Failure" error. I checked that it has the NT6 MBR and PBR with BootICE, so I don't know why it doesn't work.

#555 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2651 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

Virtual machines are not advised to be used in case of Install of XP or Windows 7
It makes things unnecessary more complicated and it makes use of special drivers for those Virtual machines.
Besides in any case your final goal is to use it on real hardware and it is bettter to direct install the drivers for such hardware.

:cheers:

#556 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 444 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

Virtual machines are not advised to be used in case of Install of XP or Windows 7
It makes things unnecessary more complicated and it makes use of special drivers for those Virtual machines.
Besides in any case your final goal is to use it on real hardware and it is bettter to direct install the drivers for such hardware.

OK, fair enough, although I've installed Win7 in Virtualbox from ISO before, so I think Win7 should have the drivers it needs to install. I just wanted to test it in Virtualbox as I don't have access to the machine it will be installed on at the moment. It's Universal Image anyway so I think even after booting in Virtualbox or real PC, the final VHD after compacting will boot OK on the final destination PC's and install the correct drivers/uninstall the unneeded drivers?

#557 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 444 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

Hmm, I transferred the VHD to my other PC, added it to the BootManager with EasyBCD and.. I'm geting the same error when booting it. Maybe it get corrupted by Virtualbox, so I guess I'll try making a fresh copy and try that.

EDIT: Yeah, it's going OK now so maybe I messed the original VHD up in my various tests trying to boot it in the Virtualbox and if I'd got it right first time it would have worked. Never mind :rolleyes:

EDIT2: Darn, it's made the VHD/System drive D:. Did I need to use "Mount Installation Drive as C:" in WinNTSetup? I thought this would only be needed if I wanted it to be something other than C:. I'll try it again with that option enabled.

OK, it's on C: now :) A couple of comments on the instructions in the first post/WinNTSetup:

1) I ticked the "Disable System protection" tweak in WinNTSetup but it was still enabled for my system drive. In the first post under "Details of Procedure to create Win7 VHD file for booting from USB-drive" you've got two point 7, the first of which says to set System Restore to Off and the second says to set System Protection for the Win7 VHD drive to off but I think System Restore and System Protection are the same thing are all that needs to be done is to turn off System Protection for the VHD drive.

2) The instructions say to disable the pagefile and hibernation, but this can be done with the tweaks in WinNTSetup.

Anyway, I think I've decided that Win7 is a waste of time for me as an RDP client, as most of the features of RDP7 are available for XP and the only one that isn't, Aero support, only works if both the client and server are using Aero, which none of my intended clients will support! So I'll be concentrating on your XP guide now ;)

#558 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 444 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

Sorry, another question about Win7. I created a Portable VHD and once booted noticed that all the tweaks in Post_Fix_W7 have already been done, which is OK except I see that intelppm is set to Start=3. Will this prevent it booting on an Intel system and should I change it to 0?

EDIT: I note that Portable uses about 800MB and Mini about 600MB, so neither would be suitable for a RDP client on a 512MB machine.

#559 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1440 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

Post_Fix_W7
intelppm is set to Start=3. Will this prevent it booting on an Intel system and should I change it to 0?

Intelppm Start=3 is Windows 7 default.That's a processor driver to enable speed step.
There is no need to change this, nor to set this.

#560 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 444 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:08 PM

Intelppm Start=3 is Windows 7 default.That's a processor driver to enable speed step.
There is no need to change this, nor to set this.

Ah, OK. Thanks :)

#561 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2651 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:38 AM

EDIT: I note that Portable uses about 800MB and Mini about 600MB, so neither would be suitable for a RDP client on a 512MB machine.

For booting as RAMDISK then your RAM size is too small, but you can boot Portable and Mini XP as FILEDISK (just like normal full XP)
and in that case 512 MB will be enough.

I think you should concentrate on XP since Windows 7 will possibly not boot at all on 512 MB RAM machine .....

Read from the beginning of the Tutorial.

IMG_XP_Create.exe and VHD_XP_Create.exe can be used to prepare new Image file for fresh Install of full XP.
In that case WinVBlock driver will be automatically installed as FILEDISK driver.

In case of using existing Installed XP as Source then you need to install either WinVBlock or FiraDisk driver.

In all cases use IMG_XP_Compact.exe to make Portable XP that you can boot as FILEDISK (also on 512 MB machines ....)
or as RAMDISK on machines that have sufficient RAM say 1 GB or more.

#562 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 444 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

For booting as RAMDISK then your RAM size is too small, but you can boot Portable and Mini XP as FILEDISK (just like normal full XP)
and in that case 512 MB will be enough.

I'm pretty sure I was booting as FILEDISK. I think the RAM usage would have been even higher than 800MB and 600MB (for Portable and Mini) if I'd been using RAMDISK. I even tried disabling some extra services in Portable to bring the usage down, but it didn't make a lot of difference. I don't know how Tiny7 only uses 145MB!

Anyway, I'll concentrate on XP. Thanks for the pointers :)

#563 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 444 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

OK, I've run into a few problems quite early ;)

I'm starting with a nlited souce to keep size and resource usage down, but when I use DPBase to integrate the TXTmode MassStorage drivers, it overwrites my I386TXTSETUP.sif, inserting loads of entries for .chm, .hlp and others that I removed with nlite, so when I go to install, I get hundreds of errors about missing files. Is there a way to add the MassStorage drivers without it changing anything else in my TXTSETUP.sif?

Secondly, my nlited source has the following old drivers removed:
Display Adapters
Modems
Printers

So I can't install the Standard VGA Display Adapter. Is there somewhere I can point it to to install this after XP is installed?

Thirdly, installing on my AMD AHCI system installs a SCSI/RAID controller and I can't find a way to switch this to Standard PCI/IDE controller as that's not listed when doing Update Driver, whether or not the Show Compatible Hardware box is ticked.

#564 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 444 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

As a test I installed into Virtualbox, which is somewhat easier as I just needed to attach the VHD and ISO and boot from the ISO twice and then from the VHD.

EDIT: That's a bit misleading, as the VHD won't boot directly, only via grub4dos, which I already had installed on another VDI. Obviously the install needs the winvblock driver, so I can understand why grub4dos was needed for those two stages, but I'm not sure why the VHD won't boot directly in Virtualbox.

title Boot Windows XP from Image - XP-1.vhd - WinVBlock driver - 2000 MB
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /winvblock.ima
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

and the install ones were:

title Start - TXT-mode XP Setup on XP-1.vhd - WinVBlock driver - 2000 MB
map --mem /winvblock.ima (fd1)
map --mem /winvblock.ima (fd0)
map (hd1) (hd0)
cdrom --init
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)

title Continue GUI-mode XP Setup on XP-1.vhd - WinVBlock driver - 2000 MB
map --mem /winvblock.ima (fd1)
map --mem /winvblock.ima (fd0)
map (hd1) (hd0)
cdrom --init
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

Note it seemed to need the "cdrom --init" to make the ISO attached to the Virtualbox visible.

END EDIT

I used my nlited ISO without installing the DriverPacks (because of how it messes up TXTSETUP.SIF) but obviously I'll need to make an ISO with those and start again to make a Universal XP.

It helped with the Standard PCI/IDE controller anyway, as that was installed as a normal controller and I could easily change it to the Standard one :)

By the way, the instructions say "set System Restore and Windows Update Off and Run PURGE_DLLCACHE.BAT to delete 350 MB of dllcache folder" but the only place I could find PURGE_DLLCACHE.BAT was in IMG_XPPOST_INSTALL so I guess this needs to be copied to the VHD and run after booting from it?

#565 shreyarocks

shreyarocks
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

Can Someone Please Upload a Completely Made Universal usb boot Windows Xp VHD.
Please Anyone. :doh7:

#566 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2651 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Here is the result obtained with VHD_W8_Compact.exe and using Installed Windows 8 as Source.

Windows 8 size 1.9 GB in 2.5 GB VHD on USB

Attached File  W8-C4.png   558.57KB   104 downloads

Attached File  W8-C5.png   549.04KB   85 downloads

• karyonix likes this

#567 ericgl

ericgl

Frequent Member

• Expert
  • 314 posts
  •  
    Israel

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

Good work, Wimb.

#568 ChrisR

ChrisR

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 784 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

In less than 2 gb, a useful tool, good development :thumbsup:

#569 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2651 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:24 PM

@ericgl
@ChrisR

Thanks for your Support :)

The program needs still some improvement, but now I know that it can be done.
It is handy that you can use Installed Windows 8 as Source to make a small size Windows 8 booting from VHD on USB.

#570 shreyarocks

shreyarocks
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

Can Someone Please Upload a Completely Made Universal usb boot Windows Xp VHD?
I Am Not able to follow all the instructions and i need it. :book:

#571 doveman

doveman

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 444 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

I mentioned before that I couldn't boot the VHD directly in Virtualbox, but could by booting it via grub4dos installed on a different VDI. So I just tried installing grub4dos on the VHD and using a simple menu.lst:

root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

and that works OK. I don't understand why the VHD wouldn't boot directly, as I checked the MBR and PBR both were set to the correct NTLDR, the partition's Active, etc but for some reason it will boot the grub4dos MBR but with the NTLDR one it doesn't do anything and I just see a black screen. The only guess I can make is maybe it's because the VHD is FAT and maybe Virtualbox can only boot XP from an NTFS VHD (I said it was a guess!)

Anyway, I'm still struggling to install the Standard VGA Driver. I booted to another Virtualbox I installed from a Vanilla XP SP3 ISO and I can't switch the graphics adapter in that to Standard VGA either, so could someone show me what files I need from the CD and how to get this installed please?

After that, is there any way to embed the DriverPacks, including the MassStorage ones, into an already installed XP, so that the drivers are available when booting the VHD on other systems? I don't actually think I'll need the MassStorage drivers, as the systems I'll be booting on are all old Via or Intel IDE-based, so I should be OK if I just embed the chipset, CPU, LAN and WLAN driverpacks and maybe the graphics and sound ones. I only need to cover Nvidia FX5600, Mobility M1 and Intel 82815 GPUs and Intel 82801AA AC97 and Via AC97 Audio though, so it would be good if I could just provide those drivers to keep the size down.

#572 shreyarocks

shreyarocks
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    United Nations

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:00 PM

Can Some one please upload and post a xp vhd file.

#573 karyonix

karyonix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 472 posts
  •  
    Thailand

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

doveman #571
I feel this is probably disk geometry problem.
Windows XP MBR code access disk by using CHS addressing.
The last time I check, VirtualBox's BIOS disk geometry is not consistent. It changes depend on content of MBR.
GRUB4DOS access disk by using LBA it is not affected by BIOS disk geometry.
You may try Windows 7 MBR code. I think it use LBA.

#574 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2651 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

-
*** VHD_W8_Compact 4.8 ***

Download - not available .....

Run VHD_W8C_48.exe and Extract to simple path

The portable App was tested in Windows 7 with User Account Control Off (also x64 version)

1. Boot with Windows 7 or 7 PE and then Install Windows 8 in 8 GB VHD (details see below)
2. In Win7 run VHD_W8_Compact.exe to prepare in 10 min the 1.8 GB Win8 VHD for booting from USB Target Drive

You can make Win8-1.VHD on local harddisk which is faster and
then use BOOT_USB.exe to make USB-drive bootable with Win8-1.vhd using BootManager Menu.
USB-stick is too slow, for this pupose use Portable USB-harddisk e.g. Samsung S2

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=24424

Normal Win8 VHD Size is 1.8 GB
- For Size Increase use:
.NET Framework 4.0 needs 200 MB extra
x64 - SysWow64 needs 1.2 GB extra

=======================================================================================================

Boot with Windows 7 or 7 PE and then Install Windows 8 in 8 GB VHD
Win 8 Setup ISO was mounted via R-mouse in ImDisk Virtual drive
In WinNTSetup - Tweaks select all System Tweaks so that UAC is off etc.
Then WinNTSetup was used to prepare the 8 GB VHD Target drive

On Reboot then Install of Windows 8 is extremely fast (a few minutes).

After booting with Windows 8 VHD then Take care to have Switched Off :
UAC + Defender + pagefile + System Restore + Hibernate + Windows Update

You can Install EasyBCD and 7-zip from VHD_W8CPOST_INSTALLINSTALL_PRGS

=======================================================================================================

Portable Windows 8 - Size 1.3 GB in 1.8 GB VHD on USB

Attached File  W8-Port1.png   1.16MB   35 downloads

#575 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2651 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:57 PM