Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2669 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:11 AM

ok, thanks.
just to confirm, when creating XP VHD via g4d I can use winvblock.ima from IMG_XPmakebt ?

Yes that is OK - it is used also by VHD_XP_Create.exe :clap: :clap:

#477 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 373 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:45 AM

one more q : not sure if it belongs here or at sara uni xp thread or at the winvblock thread or in the g4d section.

if a uni xp vhd is booted from memory ( using 'map --mem /xp.vhd (hd0)' ) it should not matter whether xp.vhd was originally on a hdd or a usb hdd, right ?

so is it necessary to apply the 'usb tweaks' to the vhd ? if it is always going to be booted from memory.

#478 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2669 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

You are right.

USB Fix is only needed when booting Image file as FILEDISK from USB.
You don't need such tweak for booting from RAMDISK

In all cases you need to use USB_Fix.exe
It contains a lot of useful tweaks that help to boot on various hardware
so that your XP Image file will become Universal.

If you never boot as FILEDISK from USB then you can Uncheck the UsbBootWatcher Tweaks.

#479 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2669 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

-
*** Update IMG_XP package Version 4.2 ***

• Update - Grub4dos is now version grub4dos-0.4.5c-2012-01-17
    Thanks to chenall - http://code.google.c.../downloads/list
  • Added - RUN to be used with latest chenall version of Grub4dos
    Thanks to sratlf for making RUN - http://bbs.wuyou.com.....page=1&page=1
    Thanks to maanu for info on RUN - http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__988191
  • Changed - disabled splashimage in grub4dos menu.lst so that coloured menu in RUN will appear
  • Update - BOOT_IMG.exe and BOOT_USB.exe and USB_XP_Fix.exe - added support for RUN
  • Update - VHD_XP_Create.exe - Load XP Setup ISO in RAM can be disabled (useful for ISO above 700 MB)
  • Changed - Removed switch from sector-mapped to file-backed in WinVBlock Grub4dos menu - this switch was source of boot crashes
    WinVBlock is used now only in sector-mapped mode for getting best performance
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is 4.2
Download - IMG_XP

Posted Image

:cheers:

#480 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:25 PM

thanks wimb for the update and including RUN.

#481 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:21 AM

What are in brief advantages of using RUN? :dubbio: What ISO they talk about, offering in the txt file download links to a paid download site?

#482 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

What are in brief advantages of using RUN? :dubbio: What ISO they talk about, linking in txt file to a paid download site?

which txt file ?

RUN homepage

http://bbs.wuyou.com...01&extra=page=1

#483 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 373 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:31 AM

If I want to boot Universal XP from a UFD rather than from a USB HDD, do I need to do anything more/less ?

#484 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2669 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:21 AM

For UFD and UHD in the procedure everything is the same.
But UFD is very slow as compared to UHD.

I prefer to use Samsung 2.5 inch Portable USB Harddisk.
It is easy to carry and connects as easy as UFD.
The UHD has much more speed and more capacity and all partitions are visible in Windows.

In all cases you need to use USB_Fix.exe
It contains a lot of useful tweaks that help to boot on various hardware
so that your XP Image file will become Universal.

If you never boot as FILEDISK from USB and only from RAMDISK then you can Uncheck the UsbBootWatcher Tweaks.

#485 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2669 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:43 PM

Universal HDD Image files for XP and Windows 7
Boot VHD Image files with Grub4dos Menu on HDD or USB

You will find the Updated Tutorial here

http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=23553

#486 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 373 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

i built a img and a vhd from the same xp iso. when booted :
1) from img, drive C: -> right click -> properites shows used space of 260 MB.
2) from vhd, drive C: -> right click -> properites shows 305 MB, ( but if i select all files on C: in explorer right pane & right click -> properites, it shows size on disk of 264MB & size 305MB ).
why the difference ?

Edited by gbrao, 31 January 2012 - 01:22 PM.

#487 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

Did you choose a certain VHD type and size, or wimb's tool did it for you? What your Defragmenter shows for the attached virtual disk?

#488 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 373 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:11 AM

my hdd has crashed. what i remember :
i created the vhd with IMG_XP create. the min size is 1GB i think. installed xp to that 1GB vhd. after all optimisations & tweaks found C: to be just 260MB. i wanted to have a UFD bootable uni xp. so i cloned the 1GB vhd to a 400MB vhd using Ghost.
i'm quite sure that even on the 1GB vhd, drive C: took 305MB.

#489 sambul61

sambul61

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1568 posts
  •  
    American Samoa

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:17 PM

Did you mean 305 MB was Used Space, Free Space, or Capacity as shown in Win Explorer Disk Properties?

To make an attached VHD disk smaller, when OS is installed on its single volume, one must defragment free space 1st, then run Boot Time Derfagmentation and use other methods suggested for example in FAQ to MyDefrag tool to move "unmovable" system files towards the volume start, and then shrink the Volume in Disk Management Console, only then copy the VHD with VHD Resizer to a smaller VHD file of a selected type. Depending on type, a VHD file may have a Header and/or Footer that occupy some space which size again depends on several factors.

Hence, its normal for a VHD file to be somewhat bigger than IMG file.

#490 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 373 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:15 AM

305MB was the used space of the vhd drive c:

i'm using a ancient P4 DDR1 ATA100 system now since my hdd crashed.

i tried installing the same xp to a vhd in VPC2007. Same result, as mentioned in 2) post #486.

#491 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 373 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:30 AM

After XP-1.img has booted, is it safe to delete C:WINDOWSDriverPacks ? It uses > 150MB.

#492 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2669 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:02 AM

2. Prepare XP Setup ISO file with integrated UpdatePack and DriverPacks
Work according to Section 2 in - http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=21883
For Install of XP on a modern system with SATA Drives it is needed to use DPsBase.exe
for Integrating in your XPSOURCE BTS DriverPack Massstorage with TXT Mode Enabled.
http://driverpacks.net/downloads
Use DPsBase.exe to Slipstream Chipset + Processor + MassStorage + LAN + WLAN DriverPacks.
You should select to Keep The Drivers for Chipset + Processor + MassStorage + LAN
Then WINDOWSDriverPacks is about 135 MB which is acceptable and provides a lot of extra driver support
which is useful to make XP Universal and adapt easily to very different hardware.

In that case (see picture above) the DevicePath is set accordingly in key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersion
so that XP can automatically make use of these drivers for adjusting to New Hardware

After booting from RAMDISK wait 3 min for auto install of drivers and then manually install some missing drivers.
Then you can remove WINDOWSDriverPacks to free extra RAM.

But when you are booting as FILEDISK, then it is NOT advisable to remove the DriverPacks folder,
since next time you won't be able to boot smoothly on different hardware.
You need the DriverPacks folder at boottime to make it Universal.

#493 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 373 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:22 AM

ok, thanks again. i should have mentioned intended use was RAMDISK.
the microxp i made has c: = 310MB used out of 376MB, so if i remove driverpacks, used space should be approx 160MB hopefully. i can then unzip many portables to c: . should run faster from memory . maybe automate the whole procedure.
thanks for the tools you provided. apart from getting a uni xp, i also learned a lot. thanks to sambul61 too.

#494 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2669 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

-
*** Update IMG_XP package Version 4.3 ***

• Update - improved Update of grldr and grldr.mbr in BOOT_IMG.exe and BOOT_USB.exe and VHD_XP_Create.exe
  • Update - removed unnecessary WARNINGS
  • Update - firadisk.img - changed the LoadOrder Group to SCSI miniport instead of originally Boot Bus Extender
    Otherwise booting XP Image as FILEDISK was freezing - post #500 in http://reboot.pro/8804/page__st__495
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is 4.3
Download - IMG_XP

#495 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15078 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

Otherwise booting XP Image as FILEDISK was freezing - post #500 in http://reboot.pro/8804/page__st__495

JFYI, on this board software a post is linked to using an Offset, so that first post #1 is post at offest 0 or more generally post #n is at offset n-1.
So, if you want to make a link to post 500 it is /page__st__499 :
http://reboot.pro/8804/page__st__499

Wonko

#496 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 373 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:23 AM

Now that I've built a UniXP, I need some tips on how to make it universal. The first post is very brief regarding this. I'm sure others have the same doubts as me, so it would be nice if some one expands this part

When booting on other unknown machine, then XP will auto adjust itself in about 3 min and install the required drivers.
In this learning process, the registry gets extra info on how to boot on that machine and will use it next time and so XP becomes Universal.

For eg :
- very often there is a choice to install a standard driver vs a specific one. which would be better ?
- once a driver is installed, if the same device is found on another system will it be necessary to reinstall it ? eg : I may install the Intel ICH9 SATA controller driver on one system, if another system has the same controller will I have to reinstall the driver ? Will it use it more space on C: ? I'm trying to keep my img as small as possible.
- what drivers are actually worth installing. on most systems there are a lot of "system devices", is it necessary/worth installing all the drivers - the system seems to work ok even if some drivers are not installed.
- is it absolutely necessary to use DriverForge ? I can use device manager -> right click -> install driver instead. In the second case is it necessary to run DevicePath_Reset_KTP.reg ?

#497 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2669 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:36 AM

-
*** Update IMG_XP package Version 4.4 ***

Important changes and improvement in BOOT_USB.exe
  • Added - BOOT_USB.exe can make BootManager Menu on USB in case of Standard MBR BootCode and Win7 OS
    However, Grub4dos MBR Bootcode is preferred for booting with Grub4dos Menu and using Boot Image files
  • Update - Boot with Linux Parted Magic pmagic_2011_12_30.iso - http://partedmagic.c...hp?id=downloads
  • Update - PStart Menu for Portable Apps by adding content of folder MULTI to USB-drive
  • Added - In Grub4dos menu.lst - PreLoad USB2.0 - via PLoP BootManager file plpbt.bin in MULTIimages
  • Changed - In Grub4dos menu.lst - Use of iftitle to display only entries for existing Boot Image files
    Thanks to steve6375 - http://reboot.pro/14...post__p__147878
  • Changed - Program Version - latest version is 4.4
Download - IMG_XP

Run IMG_XP.exe to Extract to simple path without spaces.

BOOT_USB.exe was tested with XP and Windows 7 with User Account Control Off (also x64 version)

@gbrao
I will later give more detailed explanation.

#498 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2669 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:37 AM

- is it absolutely necessary to use DriverForge ? I can use device manager -> right click -> install driver instead. In the second case is it necessary to run DevicePath_Reset_KTP.reg ?

After booting from XP Image file, then in about 3 min XP will silently install missing drivers
by using available drivers (Chipset MassStorage Processor and LAN) in WINDOWSDriverPacks (made by KTD option).
If there are still missing drivers e.g. WLAN or Audio/Video, then you can use DriverForge or Device Manager.
In general you only install all missing drivers for having best performance.

The advantage of DriverForge is that it can search in nested folder structure, whereas in Device Manager you have in XP to point the specific folder with valid driver.
Only for the case of DriverForge you need to apply afterwards DevicePath_Reset_KTP.reg to reset the driver search path to the folders of WINDOWSDriverPacks
so that on next reboot on other hardware XP can use these drivers.

Drivers once added to registry, will be auto selected by XP when appropriate and you have Universal support for different hardware.

If you are booting XP Image file as FILEDISK, then all changes in registry are auto recorded and you can auto use the drivers next time.

When booting from RAMDISK, then changes in registry are lost, unless you make use of IMG_XP_Update.exe

IMG_XP_Update.exe is used after booting with XP Image file from RAMDISK, to Update the Image file that you just booted from.
Boot with full XP Image file in RAMDISK and Update Drivers using DriverForge with Drivers folder that you supply.
Then run IMG_XP_Update.exe to improve full XP Image file in 1 minute with drivers for New Hardware.

#499 gbrao

gbrao

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 373 posts
  •  
    India

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:38 AM

I just made a Uni Win 7. Thanks, working great from USB & HDD.

Just one question this time : There's no way to boot the W7 VHD directly from g4d, right ? That is, it has to go thru BCD ? My W7 VHD is 3GB, 2GB used, I would love to boot it from RAMdisk. Does any version of WinVBlock work with W7 32 bit ?

#500 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 2669 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

You can install WinVBlock version of IMG_XP in Win7 that was first Installed to partition.
Then OFFLINE you can use VHD_W7_Compact.exe to create Win7-1.vhd
that you can use for booting from Grub4dos Menu as WinVBlock FILEDISK or as RAMDISK
Select G4d WinVBlock as menu type.

http://reboot.pro/98...716#entry128716

Use 32-bits Win7 Pro as Source installed on other partition
Install either WinVBlock or FiraDisk FILEDISK driver in your Win7 Pro Source.
Make Win7-1.vhd with VHD_W7_Compact.exe improved with waitbt version 0.0.0.4 and using WinVBlock FILEDISK driver :worship:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vhd, tutorial

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users