What is Win7PE
Win7PE is a small project but powerful reincarnated Live CD from Windows 7 Operating System kernel core. It is obviously built by Winbuilder engine and set of Winbuilder-scripts like some other projects VistaPE and LiveXP. The difference from WinPE 3.0 is that it has graphical user interface and many more powerful functions. It can be added more drivers (Wireless, Wifi, ect) and many other preinstalled-software. Like Windows preinstallation Environment 3.0, it is running in RAM, so it has the fastest activities in current Operating System Environment for System Administrators.
Requirements to build and run.
1. Winbuilder Version 077 or above.
2. Source machine should be Windows XP sp2 or above.(Only support for x86)
3. Need Minimum Free HDD space 4gb recommended.(for mount boot.wim and install.wim)
4. Minimum RAM should be 768 Mb for 32bit, 1Gb RAM is needed for 64bit build)
5. For Virtual Testing, installed Vmware player/workstation or VisualBox will be required. For 64bit, unfortunately no Emulators is fully supported yet.
6. CD R/W Rom for cd build.
7. USB 512Mb or above for USB Booting users.
1. Because of running in RAM, boot media can be removed after loading.
2. Support ATA, SATA, RAID, SCSI.
3. Read/Write support on FAT, FAT32, NTFS, Ext2, Ext3.
4. Support Networking. (lots of NIC drivers are build-in included so no worry for common drivers-installation.
5. Can extend to several functions (like Audio, Video)
6. Support access to any Windows version (DOS to Windows 7) and Linux. Besides, you can access through Apple MACs by Mediafour MacDrive preinstalled.
7. Main shell as Windows 7 explorer, so no worry to folders and file-management.
8. In addition, it has BSexplorer and QDir small shells included for especially urgent Admins.
In this NEW version I have made a new designed for multiple PEs.
Multiple PEs includes
1. Vista SP-0, 1, 2 for 32 & 64bit
2. Windows server 2k8 SP-0 0,1,2 for 32bit & 64bit
3. Windows 7 for 32bit & 64bit
Windows Explorer shell is supported for all above versions.
In this version, you do not need to worry about any version of Windows DVD means if you have dual version of DVD or single version of DVD.
Dual version of DVD defines in some cases there are dual versions of Vista(32bit+64bits) or Windows 7(32bits+64bits).
Any of above dual version of DVD, project will create only 32bits and not supported yet for individual version select at the moment.
There are many Error check functions in every single of projects such as Tools folder check, explorer shell check, Mount error check and Version check.
I would like to remind you that about applications if you are building 64bit version. Because there are very limited programs supported 64bits. It has just only intended for some advanced users who are developing 64bit environments. In the other hand, from 64 bit PE does not support 32bit programs like in real 64bit installed machine.
And the background image is supported in all versions and you can change any bmp image within the script. How to change:
1.on Winbuilder, click on the DesktopBackground.script >Edit>Attachments>
2. you will see setup.7z and winpe.7z files. You can change any image within those files.
In 64bit versions, there is not supported Joshua’s PE Loader because it is not supportive for 64bit yet. (Requested to Joshua, thanks to Joshua)
And networking is
MMC is supported in this version.
Unfortunately, I have never tested with WAIK in this version.
Most commonly encountered errors.
1. Tools folder
2. Mount image(s)
3. Desktop Background script
To avoid errors
You have to check with Tools folder which is all needed files are in it.
For mount error, check 0 – PreConfig.script under Build folder which is selected with 2 in boot.wim countainer and 1 in install.wim container.
Common mount error can be occurred by without installing FileManager(FltMgr).
How to install FltMgr
For newly build, first put all the files in text file plus fltMgr.sys which I forget to mension.
Secondly, right click on FltMgr\fltMgr.inf and click install and you may need to derect the file when windows ask.
Do not restart your PC on this stage and finally right click on wimfltr.inf and click on install. After installing, you may need to restart your PC. Now you can start your project.
ImageX is needed for 64 bit version build.
Desktop Background script error will occur without any reasons sometime. No worry, right click on the error Title Bar and click stop to end pop up. And re-run only the script manually.
For consistent errors, you may need to restart your PC and run again that script only.
And then run the following scripts(3 – PostConfig.script, 4 – Create ISO.script) manually so that you can save your time. (If you start from scratch, will take more your valuable time)
Any errors and feed back are welcome.
p-s : I do not include any other programs in this build. Refer to LiveXP programs' scripts as these are compatible with any version (32 & 64 bit) Thanks to Lancelot.