35 replies to this topic

#26 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:53 PM

I don't think so.

;) I don't know how I can demonstrate to you what I see - through bleary and non-bleary-eyes.
Both the grub cmd-line [TAB] and IsoBuster show lowercase in the .iso, and Grub$Dos boots winpe 2.1 with 'chainloader /bootmgr' > 'boot' - in lowercase. I guess that both programs show the RockRidge extensions by default. I really have no idea.

If I remove the -R switch from the command, everything is in uppercase, and it boots too - with 'chainloader /BOOTMGR'.

Did you edited mkisofs source code and compiled a own version?

That's one of the reasons I prefer not to use third-party tools. I found it in an old VistaPE Tools folder - nothing to identify its provinence - no idea where it came from originally and no licence to be seen anywhere. It simply appeared without my knowledge. The same used to be the case - not sure if it still is - with most winbuilder projects.

Thanks for all your support. :drunk:

#27 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:43 AM

@allanf
you seem to miss some of the traditions (history) of CD making.

One of the "tricks" developed parallel to BartPE used a simple to uppercase:
http://www.911cd.net...?showtopic=4382

I really cannot say about PE 2.x, but "normal" PE 1.x need some additional switches in mkisofs to turn out completely functional.

However, do read this:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=9124

This is the command line I have been using for years and that usually gives good results:

mkisofs -v -iso-level 4 -l -D -d -J -joliet-long -R -volid "GRLDR" -A GRLDR/MKISOFS -sysid "Win32" -b grldr -no-emul-boot -boot-load-seg 0x1000 -allow-multidot -hide grldr -hide boot.catalog -o .\ezBuiltCD\ezG4DOS.iso ezROOT

The -r vs. -R should NOT be a problem for you, it only applies on Linux/Unix OS, -r means "RockRidge WITHOUT access permissions", -R means "Rockridge WITH access permissions", thus the above line is "wrong" and the -R should changed to -r to have the maximum possible "open" output.

The -boot-load-seg 0x1000 vs. -boot-load-size 4
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=20864

Of course the -hide grldr is senseless if you need to re-access grldr for any reason.

:drunk:

jaclaz

#28 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:25 AM

That's all done for mkisofs...

I won't be using mkisofs to build my project. I tested the recommended mkisofs commands from the various Grub4Dos guides to ensure that Grub4Dos was working. All went fine in terms of simply booting WinPE 2.1. The only point of note was that "chainloader /bootmgr" required the lowercase.

However, it seems that the use of mkisofs requires further investigation.

Points I have noted using the recommended commands from the guide.

1. When mkisofs is executed in XP SP3 x86, the first line to appear in the cmd window is:

mkisofs: Warning: -rock has same effect as -rational-rock on this platform.

That is, -R equals -r "on my platform".

2. From the grub cmd-line, when using "chainloader /" [TAB], I noticed my custom "Program Files" folder in the root was displayed as "Program\ Files", which lead to the next point.

3. I was building a very basic PE - no shell, programs or extras. With a first attempt at Grub4Dos and the recommended mkisofs commands, I was simply interested to see if it booted, and hadn't actually looked inside the PE. However, the strange "Program\ Files" entry in grub cmd-line's [TAB] looked like it neeeded further investigation.

From the booted PE, a quick "dir" of the Virtual CD Drive's root showed "PROGRAM_" where "Program Files" or "PROGRAM FILES" should have been. OK - there is probably a basic mkisofsswitch to correct that. The point is that, from the booted PE, everything in the CD is uppercase.

This is in contrast to IsoBuster on the Host HDD looking at the .iso. The right hand pane shows all files and folders in the original form - lowercase and mixed case - and the correct display of "Program Files" folder. However, in the left-hand pane, things are different - all uppercase, and "PROGRAM_"

The display from "dir" in the booted PE is also in contrast to the bootloader grub cmd-line [TAB] which reveals everything in its original form. That is, "grldr", "menu.lst", "bootmgr", "boot\" folder and contents, etc - all in lower case. And the custom folders in mixed case, but strange "Program\ Files".

This is significant for the Grub4Dos Menu entries because grub will only execute these file in the form shown by the grub cmd-line. "bootmgr" must be in lower case. The bit that had me confused was that it will still boot, even with all the boot files in lowercase. With oscdimg's -d switch, everything is kept in its original case, but with all the boot files in lower case, it causes a "Windows failed to start ... [BCD error]. The reason must be the RockRidge extensions implemented by mkisofs' -R or -r switch.

The misunderstanding with cdob is that we were looking at different faces of the same thing.

Thanks jaclaz for the well-proven (no doubt) mkisofs command. I'll try it out as soon as I can get winbuilder to create a suitable directory structure for testing. (I hate doing things manually! ... :) ...)

Regards :drunk:

#29 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:36 AM

Points I have noted using the recommended commands from the guide.

Still, you seem to miss this point. :drunk:

Just in case I'll try to expand on it.

The example given on the grub4dos guide is just an example, and it WON'T, as is, allow a PE to work.

It is NOT "recommended", and definitely NOT "recommended in order to...." it is ONLY an example, the plainest example for what the scope of the guide is, it is "the Grub4dos guide", not "the mkisofs guide", nor "the how to create a PE CD with grub4dos and mkisofs guide". :)

http://diddy.boot-la.../install_cd.htm

As diddy stated:

The following information has been taken from README_GRUB4DOS.txt (included with Grub4dos download).

the info comes from the original readme, and is obviously very, very, very succinct.

:)

jaclaz

#30 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:22 PM

Still, you seem to miss this point. :drunk:

Just in case I'll try to expand on it.

The example given on the grub4dos guide is just an example, and it WON'T, as is, allow a PE to work.

Well - NO! I think it is you who is missing the point. I am not interested in using mkisofs. Besides that, the fact is - IT IS WORKING in terms of booting WinPE 2.1 - straight out of the box! That's as far as I needed to go with mkisofs, until cdob questioned the facts.

It seems that I am the only one who has even tried it!?

#31 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1437 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:58 PM

That's as far as I needed to go with mkisofs, until cdob questioned the facts.

I don't question the facts.

I like to clarify the facts, as for ISO9660 with Rock Ridge extension:
grub4dos read the rock ridge names and list them: lower case names
bootmgr read ISO9660 names and find upper case. bootmgr does boot, because there are upper case names.

Addional Joliet file system are another cases.

#32 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 01:15 PM

I like to clarify the facts, as for ISO9660 with Rock Ridge extension:
grub4dos read the rock ridge names and list them: lower case names
bootmgr read ISO9660 names and find upper case. bootmgr does boot, because there are upper case names.

Addional Joliet file system are another cases.

Thanks. I'll accept that as a perfectly clear representation of what's going on. ... :drunk: ...

#33 Jotnar

Jotnar

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:45 AM

/isolinux/isolinux.bin; grub4dos;; /images/grub.exe --config-file="configfile /MENU.LST"

You could also use grldr and just hex edit the 'menu.lst' entry to 'MENU.LST'. Tack a .bin extension on grldr and boot it from isolinux. No need to involve the long in the tooth BCDW. :cheers:

Cheers

#34 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:59 AM

You could also use grldr and just hex edit the 'menu.lst' entry to 'MENU.LST'.

Really? :w00t:

Edit embedded menu.lst:
http://www.boot-land...?...=8634&st=13

configfile /menu.lst
configfile /MENU.LST
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
configfile /grub/menu.lst

Should I file your post under "News"? :cheers:

:cheers:

:cheers:

jaclaz

#35 memoarfaa

memoarfaa

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
    Egypt

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

we can use menu.lst with lower letter case  in the ISO and grub will find it 

we can make this  without edit grldr  

oscdimg.exe has an option to use lower letter case  (-d)

I but grldr in ISO folder

I'm use this command to make the ISO it's work fine

oscdimg.exe -c -m -d -n -lGrub4dos ISO -bootdata:1#bISO/grldr,e,t0x1000 Grub4dos.iso

#36 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1437 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

Several years later, given an current version:
grldr finds a ISO9660 filename /MENU.LST and /menu.lst.
A uppercase or a lowercase file is found.

Be aware:
oscdimg loads the whole file grldr to RAM. This works at many BIOS and will fail at some.
Test this at used hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users