27 replies to this topic

#1 Balfaryus

Balfaryus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

i have various USB stick tools but can't seem to get anywhere trying to re-write my borked MBR.

i am assuming this is the problem because Win Recovery Console and WinXP setup fail with the 7b inaccessible device error. this is when loading them from USB_MultiBoot_10

i tried loading UNR to hard disk, to see what would happen and it would load until halting at an "end trace". GRUB error 22 happened in there somewhere too. i then wrote a new parition table to see if it was bad partitioning or if i was the MBR.

booting the netbook now from the hard disk throws up GRUB error 17. anything trying to onstall to hard disk throws the 0000007b error.

as it is a netbook, i have no CD and i don't want to take the disk out since it is only a few days old.

thanks for any advice

#2 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1134 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 06 November 2009 - 10:39 AM

check in your bios if you have compatibility mode in HDD . if so then shift your sata mode to IDE or Legacy and try booting RC image again .

#3 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:02 AM

thanks for any advice

Not the advice you are wishing to hear, but you should really be a bit more complete/detailed when you report a problem.

What the heck is "UNR"? My guess is that it is Ubuntu Netbook Remix, but not everyone would know what it is.
You don't have "a netbook". You have an eepc model zzz or an Acer one model xxx or a Delll miniy or a .... model .....
etc., etc.

It is already difficult enough to try and help from a distance, let alone if the willing helping member has to guess or imagine half the things you have done.

You see, the more detailed and specific is the report, the more specific and possibly more likely to work will be the reply.

Compare with the "common sense advice" attached to Rules:
http://www.boot-land...?act=boardrules

:dubbio:

jaclaz

#4 Balfaryus

Balfaryus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:42 AM

check in your bios if you have compatibility mode in HDD . if so then shift your sata mode to IDE or Legacy and try booting RC image again .

Recovery Console? i can't try this though because the BIOS hasn't the selection.

What the heck is "UNR"? My guess is that it is Ubuntu Netbook Remix, but not everyone would know what it is.
You don't have "a netbook". You have an eepc model zzz or an Acer one model xxx or a Delll miniy or a .... model .....
etc., etc.

i appreeciate where you are coming from but i am not in a hurry and i am experienced enough at using forums to know that i don't bother plastering every detail into my very first post.

it can turn out to be a complete waste of time. i use my own common sense to state the basic outline of the problem and see what answers i get if any.

-----

Ubuntu Netbook Remix (ubuntu-9.04-netbook-remix-i386)

HP Mini 5101, Atom N280 1.66GHz with Intel 950GMA GPU, 1Gb 533MHz DDR2 RAM, 160Gb WD1600BEKT 60F3T1. 1366x768 native res.

more specifically it is a VM531PA although this number is mostly irrelevant once you now the specs above, US versions are something like FM97xxx.

#5 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:54 AM

Well, if you have not an option in BIOS to switch from SATA to IDE mode, you are pretty much stuck. :thumbup:

What you need is then a PE of some kind that has the appropriate SATA drivers integrated (or a Recovery Console build with same drivers, or a linux live USB with same drivers).

Easiest of the three is possibly creating a minimal LiveXP with the drivers packs integrated or try using "horror" :dubbio: a Vista Recovery CD "shifted" to USB use.

Of course it depends on which OS you have handy.

What happens with good ol' DOS?

Can't it see the drive?

Using some good ol' apps, like RPM (Ranish Partition Manager) or MBRwiz it should be possible to fix/restore the MBR, if the physicaldrive is accessible.

jaclaz

#6 Balfaryus

Balfaryus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:27 PM

thanks for the help, i might have a next move now.

i have Ranish here, i'll see if i can get it going using a CD drive into a USB port.

i also considered installing XOSL bootmanager but i have moved onto PLoP (www.plop.at a bootmanager and small linux distro) , i tried that but it failed because of the 'Netbook' problem (no floppy, no CD, no extra HDD headers etc).

actually, the way i installed PLoP didn't work because i had it installing from a USB stick that was at hd0, so all this achieved was installing PLoP into the mbr of the same stick! there is noption to instaal it into the next disk - that i know of.

i could get my CD drive to connect with an adapter to the netbook's USB. i'll try Ranish and PLoP from there.

#7 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:07 PM

actually, the way i installed PLoP didn't work because i had it installing from a USB stick that was at hd0, so all this achieved was installing PLoP into the mbr of the same stick! there is noption to instaal it into the next disk - that i know of.

i could get my CD drive to connect with an adapter to the netbook's USB. i'll try Ranish and PLoP from there.

Well, then you can use grub4dos to exchange drives before installing PLoP.

jaclaz

#8 Balfaryus

Balfaryus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 November 2009 - 02:40 PM

sorry about missing your question of earlier askinig about "good ol' DOS?", i was trying to eat dinner and dig my optical drive out of my desktop :dubbio: this is what has happened in DOS:

i had a floppy image running from my USB_MultiBoot_10 setup. i created and formatted a partition with the intention of writing DOS boot files to it. when rebooted to hard disk GRUB was still there. the full message is:
-----
GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 17
-----
(why no space between 'stage' and '1.5'? maybe this is non-standard or just a typo)

Well, then you can use grub4dos to exchange drives before installing PLoP.

jaclaz

i'd like to know how to do that please.

did you mean to boot into grub4dos within the USB_MultiBoot_10 package i have or to get it onto a CD and boot from there?

-----

just as an update - CD/DVD is available now. this HP 5101 BIOS is very friendly regarding getting USB things booting but i have failed again.

i created a CD using a win98 boot iso that i had injected with Ranish partition manager. when i ask the netbook to boot from the external CD the GRUB error kicks in!? WTF is the hard disk being looked at for? the CD didn't even spin-up.

#9 karyonix

karyonix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 481 posts
  •  
    Thailand

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

You may asked wrong question.
I think 0000007b error was not caused by bad MBR or bad partition table.

What OS are you trying to install in your hard disk in netbook ?
- WinXP
- Ubuntu Netbook Remix
- or dual boot WinXP + Ubuntu Netbook Remix

What content do you already have inside your hard disk ?
How many partitions ? What is inside each partition ?
Do you have recovery partition or recovery CD/DVD ?

#10 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:24 PM

We may be overlapping things, you presented yourself as a "knowledgeable" user (which I don't doubt :thumbup:, but maybe you are not very familiar with grub4dos) so I took several shortcuts. :dubbio:

You do have a booting USB stick, right?

What does it boot to?

Whatever, see here:
http://diddy.boot-la...os/Grub4dos.htm
http://diddy.boot-la...les/install.htm
for a method suitable for loading from the "whatever" grub4dos on the stick.

Read also at least these two:
http://diddy.boot-la...iles/basics.htm
http://diddy.boot-la...s/files/cli.htm

Get grub4dos:
http://nufans.net/grub4dos/
http://nufans.net/gr...-2009-10-16.zip

Check you can boot from the USB thingy in grub4dos command prompt (if you are not taken directly there because you have a menu.lst somewhere press "c" to access command line).

Type:
geometry (hd0)
[ENTER]
and
geometry (hd1)
[ENTER]

jolt down results.

Type:
map (hd0) (hd1)

map (hd1) (hd0)

map --hook
(press [ENTER] after having typed each line)

Re run:
geometry (hd0)

and
geometry (hd1)
drives should be exchenged.

Now you can map a DOS floppy image on the stick, like:
map (hd1,0)/afloppy.img (fd0)

map --hook

root (fd0)

chainloader /io.sys

boot

And you should be booted to DOS with the hard disks exchanged.

jaclaz

#11 Balfaryus

Balfaryus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:40 PM

You may asked wrong question.
I think 0000007b error was not caused by bad MBR or bad partition table.

What OS are you trying to install in your hard disk in netbook ?

thanks for the reply. what do you think the problem is? i don't think there is anything wrong with the partition table either, i have been able to successfully edit it throughout troubleshooting.

which OS? anything at this stage to get control back of the HDD :\ (notes about OS plans below)

What content do you already have inside your hard disk ?

none. this is mentioned above

How many partitions ? What is inside each partition ?

none and nothing. this is mentioned above

Do you have recovery partition or recovery CD/DVD ?

no recovery partition, as above and a recovery CD/DVD might come with some Netbooks but not this one.

-----

further OS details that might later become relevant:
the plan is to have XP (32bit) on two separate partitions, one for each of 2 people, along with another partition for collective data, and Slackware 13 on the fourth and later partitions.

Win7 x64 will take over from one of the XP partitions depending on what restrictions there are against it cleanly taking over a single partition. i might re-do the process in a month for this.

#12 karyonix

karyonix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 481 posts
  •  
    Thailand

Posted 06 November 2009 - 06:28 PM

Partitioning is the first thing to do to your hard disk. It can be done from Windows setup.
The problem is now how to integrate SATA driver and install Windows XP from USB.

#13 Balfaryus

Balfaryus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 November 2009 - 07:51 PM

We may be overlapping things, you presented yourself as a "knowledgeable" user (which I don't doubt :(, but maybe you are not very familiar with grub4dos) so I took several shortcuts. :dubbio:

You do have a booting USB stick, right?
<snip>
And you should be booted to DOS with the hard disks exchanged.

jaclaz

i know next to nothing about grub really, i have only customised so far by editing sample various menu.lst's. i have been using bootloaders and every other PC things for >30yrs though and my experience is all over the place with many holes :thumbup:

i'll try your instructions as soon as i can thank you very much.

Partitioning is the first thing to do to your hard disk. It can be done from Windows setup.
The problem is now how to integrate SATA driver and install Windows XP from USB.

i think you may not have read the thread or i do not understand your recommendation.

#14 Balfaryus

Balfaryus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:42 PM

i followed your instructions, thanks, i ended with booting a 98 image, and used fdisk /mbr

the GRUB error is gone but the problem persists regarding getting XP installed. i've run out of time for now but i plan on running pmagic to see what is going on.

any ideas?

-----

more...

i had used various tools to see if there was an evil hidden partition before these problems occurred from within WinXP (factory installed SP3), gparted, and DOS.

i have now checked again by looking for other users that may have discovered something. i can't find any mention of one being there.

i will be running Ranish tomorrow; and an embedded "HDD Self Test" is running right now. (clutching at straws but it will tell us something)

#15 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 November 2009 - 11:00 AM

Now that you are "satisfied" with having a MBR, we can go back to business.

There are a number of reports, about people having NO problems using WinsetupfromUSB on the HP mini:
http://myeeeguides.w...sb-flash-drive/

And as well a few that do report some problems.

Now, please do try the WinsetupfromUSB way:
get the app here:
http://www.msfn.org/...32-t120444.html

Follow this (AFTER having read the docs in the download):
http://ccollomb.free.fr/blog/?p=59

Make sure the source has integrated the appropriate Mass Storage driver. (that should be the one responsible for the 0x0000007b)

jaclaz

#16 Balfaryus

Balfaryus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:40 PM

thank you for continuing to help me.

Now that you are "satisfied" with having a MBR, we can go back to business.

hah. i do actually feel better. it was wrong of me to assume that was the main thing getting on the way of installing the OS's i want on this thing.

could all of this been avoided if my "USB_MultiBoot_10" stick had a more current storage driver or have i missed the point again? i never would have thought that since i have installed XP on my other SATA based machines.

Now, please do try the WinsetupfromUSB way:
<snip>
Make sure the source has integrated the appropriate Mass Storage driver. (that should be the one responsible for the 0x0000007b)

i will thanks for the link. i'll also be looking for what others have used for the HP 5101. most netbooks use ICH9 will that guide me to a driver that the setup can use to get me past the install?

#17 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

hah. i do actually feel better. it was wrong of me to assume that was the main thing getting on the way of installing the OS's i want on this thing.

waiter, come taste this soup....
http://www.imdb.com/...98/crazycredits
Aha. Aha! ...
:w00t:

could all of this been avoided if my "USB_MultiBoot_10" stick had a more current storage driver or have i missed the point again? i never would have thought that since i have installed XP on my other SATA based machines.

Yep, that's what karyonix was trying to tell you.

Which again brings us back to the "common sense advice", points #f, this time:
:(

The easiest would be an integrated BTS driverpack in source, check again the USB_multiboot thread:
http://www.msfn.org/...sb-t111406.html
AND FAQ #3 :thumbup:
http://www.msfn.org/...qs-t116766.html

Cannot really say if the BTS supports your machine, but it should. :thumbup:

i will thanks for the link. i'll also be looking for what others have used for the HP 5101. most netbooks use ICH9 will that guide me to a driver that the setup can use to get me past the install?

THe ICH8 and ICH9 are tricky, in case read here:
http://www.msfn.org/...e...04.html&hl=

jaclaz

#18 Balfaryus

Balfaryus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:16 PM

waiter, come taste this soup....
http://www.imdb.com/...98/crazycredits
Aha. Aha! ...

i watched that about a dozen times..

"bark like a dog"..
- "bow wow"

"a big dog!"..
- "grwoof grwoof"

"now a little dog"
- "arf! arf!"

Which again brings us back to the "common sense advice", points #f, this time:

i didn't presume to know anything about the help i would get here on my very first post. i have been many many times left without responses at all after carefully drawing out an entire problem, rather than asking for help in 'pieces'.

if we are being exact then you could say that i asked for help getting my mbr back to normal and i got it. should we start a new thread now to appease the rules? :(

#19 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 November 2009 - 03:14 PM

if we are being exact then you could say that i asked for help getting my mbr back to normal and i got it. should we start a new thread now to appease the rules? :(

No, it's allright. :dubbio:
You asked the "wrong" question, that question is solved now, and we can go back to the "real" question, to hopefully find a solution for that one too.

jaclaz

#20 karyonix

karyonix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 481 posts
  •  
    Thailand

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:37 PM

I want to help but I don't have enough experience about installing XP in SATA disk.
I can only write some comments but no real solution.
I know how to install XP from USB to USB or to IDE disk but SATA make thing more complicated.

1. Normal installation to SATA/RAID disk need floppy disk.
User have to press F6 during setup boot loading and load SCSI/RAID/SATA driver from floppy disk.
But many computers don't have floppy disk drive.
2. Another possibility is to modify setup files, integrate SATA driver in it.
Some people made automated tools to do this.
- I think nLite is the easiest way to integrate SATA driver in Window XP setup CD. But It may have a little problem for installation from USB without CD. I am not sure.
- USBMultiBoot is another solution. I have not tried it yet. No comment.
3. Virtual floppy disk for F6.
Like in this thread http://www.msfn.org/...ge-t137714.html
I have not tried it yet.

The latest Intel SATA/RAID 32-bit F6 floppy is here.
http://downloadcente...p;DwnldID=17883

#21 Balfaryus

Balfaryus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 November 2009 - 04:41 PM

No, it's allright. :dubbio:
You asked the "wrong" question, that question is solved now, and we can go back to the "real" question, to hopefully find a solution for that one too.

:(

jaclaz

i ask to questions to try and understand things and solve problems myself, with assistance. i suppose this is more common "hey!! halp!! fix all my stuffs.. it has broken all by itself!!" i try to learn, bot just "get".

since overwriting the corrupted mbr i was able to load UNR from the SD slot; using a version of Ubuntu Netbook Remix that has a mix of options for running from USB, RAM, and installing to HDD.

since this was the only OS i had installed to the netbook, in my mind, the question became "something has stopped me from being able to install UNR, how to repair that situation?"

#22 karyonix

karyonix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 481 posts
  •  
    Thailand

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:43 PM

It is better to learn and be able to solve the problem yourself. :dubbio:

You installed UNR in SD ? Wow!
How does it boot ?
- Your BIOS can read SD card and boot from it directly -- that men your BIOS is good
- or you have boot partition in hard disk and everything else in SD card

One problem that can arise after installing OS from USB and try to boot from internal hard disk later is that BIOS drive number has changed.
When you boot from USB it become drive number 0x80 or (hd0) in GRUB. And hard disk is probably 0x81 or (hd1).
When you boot from internal hard disk its drive number is 0x80.
When you install Linux from USB and install GRUB, it may guess wrong drive number for internal disk.
It may wrongly install GRUB stage 1 in MBR of USB drive instead of internal disk.
It may install GRUB stage 1 in MBR of internal disk. But when stage 1 boot try to load stage2 from (hd1) or (0x81) while the installed stage2 is in 0x80, so it result in error while booting.

#23 Balfaryus

Balfaryus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

thanks again for your advice karyonix, jaclaz. i have used the DPs_BASE app and mass storage pack into my USB_MultiBoot_10 and can get further into setup.

i aborted, and will use the suggested WinSetup From USB, which i have already had a quick look at. is it only AHK bringing all those tools together? looks like a good collection of things to me and it's going straight into my toolkit for my making a mess with OS'es :w00t:

It is better to learn and be able to solve the problem yourself. :dubbio:

You installed UNR in SD ? Wow!
How does it boot ?
- Your BIOS can read SD card and boot from it directly -- that men your BIOS is good
- or you have boot partition in hard disk and everything else in SD card

idk if the BIOS is good, it is certainly very simple. on the HP 5101 the SD is just recognised as another USB Hard Disk, like regular UFD's are. i'm glad of that.

i guess HP chose a nice SD reader to attach to the bus?

i have never used SD for this before, it is just one from an mp3 player :( at any one time, the list of detected boot devices also allows for a USB CD/DVD.

my normal setup will only be the SD and HDD. i wonder if i could use a SATA to CF adapter for the internal disk, and run it as a regular hard disk.

#24 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:00 PM

@shifter
USB_Multiboot and WinSetupfromUSB are developed "in parallel", thus usually the one and the other can be exhanged and it is only a matter of preferring a command line tool over a GUI one or viceversa.

The respective Authors, wimb and ilko_t are members here, on MSFN and on 911CD and it is rare that some new finding is not integrated very quickly in both the apps. :dubbio:

...... i have used the DPs_BASE app and mass storage pack into my USB_MultiBoot_10 and can get further into setup.

i aborted, and will use .....

You do know how to keep the level of suspence high, don't you? :(

jaclaz

#25 Balfaryus

Balfaryus

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:42 PM

ah, that's cool they are both good looking projects and much needed. there is a new win7 tool actually by MS isn't there? i looked but didn't try it.

no more suspense, hehe, i went full steam ahead with common looking options in WinSetupfromUSB using an unpacked vanilla XPSP2 and it installed very easily. it was fast too, i chose an NTFS partition for the stick as suggested. builds that are well nLited must fly :dubbio:

the only kink was the Driver Pack Finisher that clocked up huundreds of 'close driver signing warnings'. what have i done there? an overkill KTD option i think, no big deal anyway, i don't need to perfect my own setup.

-----

thank you both, again, for your patience and kind help. next session i need to look into how i should best do the multi boot XP and XP (one of which becomes win7) and later slack13.

since the situation is explained here any extra pointers would be welcome. i want to start by building up a single XP install, get it all clean and optioned with core stuff, partition shrink, then image.

EDIT: :( look what i just found in the pre-installation folder that i had stored before wiping the disk. hope this may help someone else.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users