#1 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:15 PM

I am having issues run Ghost32 within VistPE on a MPC server. all other systems I try it on it works. Ghost32 seems to freeze on the MPC server. Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated.

On Symantec's web site it shows

# You can run Ghost32.exe on a computer with one of the following operating system requirements:

* Windows Vista(Business/Enterprise/Ultimate)/XP/Server 2003/2000 Professional
* Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE)
Note: You can run Ghost32 on all 64-bit Windows operating systems except for WinPE 64-bit. Ghost32 does not support WinPE 64-bit because WinPE 64-bit does not include WOW64.

# Symantec Ghost supports Ghost32 on the following WinPE versions:

* Windows XP SP2 Version 2004
* Windows 2003 SP1 Version 2005
* Windows Vista Version 2.0

I am running it on VistaPE x86

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

What is a MPC server? :cheers:

jaclaz

#3 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:28 PM

It is a brand of computers (which no longer exist)

MPC netframe 640 is the server I am using.

http://en.wikipedia....MPC_Corporation

#4 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:13 PM

I've run Ghost32 11.5 in VistaPE x86 many times, on many computers. Which version of Ghost32? At what point does it freeze?

You could try including the Sysinternals script and running Process Monitor while you run Ghost. Or include Dependency Walker (Apps\System\Debug), open it and open Ghost32, and click Profile | Start Profiling.

#5 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 November 2009 - 06:47 PM

I see. :cheers:

Well, the fact that the same VistaPE works flawlessly on other hardware should mean that the problem is related to the specific hardware (please read as "drivers") though I had the impression that Ghost used "internal" drivers for most drives (but I am no expert of it, so really cannot say).

Can Ghost32 run on the "normal" OS the server runs (I mean f it is of the "NT family")?

;)

jaclaz

#6 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:04 PM

I just tested on the OS installed (2K3) and it does the same thing... I am currently updating the BIOS as it was 20+ revs out of date.. Ill post back after bios update and see if it works

#7 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:09 PM

Then "as is" it is likely to be an "internal" Ghost problem and not connected to the VistaPE environment.

The BIOS update is unlikely to be connected to it, but you never know.

jaclaz

#8 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:12 PM

Ok well still a no go. New bios does nothing.. maybe the raid bios?

#9 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:15 PM

Then "as is" it is likely to be an "internal" Ghost problem and not connected to the VistaPE environment.

The BIOS update is unlikely to be connected to it, but you never know.

jaclaz

Well that sucks... Odd though cause the DOS version of Ghost 11.5 works flawlessly.. No clue..

#10 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:19 PM

The MB in this system is a Intel S5000PSL just a note..

#11 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:51 PM

I would point my finger on the actual RAID card (or it's BIOS), but on the card itself as first thing, though the motherboard could be part of the problem. ;)

Which make/model is the RAID card?

Or is it "integrated" in the motherboard?

Maybe it can be found something about it's incompatibilies with Ghost32.

I will tell you a probably completely unrelated experience, of many years ago, however:
  • HP desktop, cannot even remember name/model, bought as a replacement/update for an older no-name PC
  • Advantec SCSI card (removed from the old PC) the card was one of those models that still had no flash/slashable BIOS, just a simple eeprom
  • the card had worked flawlessly on the old PC, but as soon as I connected it to the new PC the OS, NT 4.0 at the time, went beserk :cheers:
  • after trying every trick of the trade, and even a few more, I removed the stoopid BIOS chip alltogether and lo and behold everything worked again (I did not need the SCSI booting features of the card BIOS, only to use the card to access some SCSI devices)

Sadly, but truly ;):

Sometimes it is more important to discover what one cannot do, than what one can do

:)

jaclaz

#12 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:51 PM

I think I may just boot with ISOLINUX and boot either the dos boot disk for ghost or the winpe to use in our lab..

#13 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:54 PM

But do you really need to use Ghost? :cheers:

There are nowadays several alternatives, and a lot of them freeware.

List:
http://www.msfn.org/...100299.html&hl=

jaclaz

#14 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:54 PM

I would point my finger on the actual RAID card (or it's BIOS), but on the card itself as first thing, though the motherboard could be part of the problem. :dubbio:

Which make/model is the RAID card?

Or is it "integrated" in the motherboard?

Maybe it can be found something about it's incompatibilies with Ghost32.

I will tell you a probably completely unrelated experience, of many years ago, however:

• HP desktop, cannot even remember name/model, bought as a replacement/update for an older no-name PC
  • Advantec SCSI card (removed from the old PC) the card was one of those models that still had no flash/slashable BIOS, just a simple eeprom
  • the card had worked flawlessly on the old PC, but as soon as I connected it to the new PC the OS, NT 4.0 at the time, went beserk :w00t:
  • after trying every trick of the trade, and even a few more, I removed the stoopid BIOS chip alltogether and lo and behold everything worked again (I did not need the SCSI booting features of the card BIOS, only to use the card to access some SCSI devices)

Sadly, but truly :(:

:thumbup:

jaclaz

The raid card in the system is a LSI MegaRaid not sure on version numbers.. i will get back soon..

#15 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 04 November 2009 - 08:25 PM

The raid card in the system is a LSI MegaRaid not sure on version numbers.. i will get back soon..

Ok I just updated the FW on the raid controller... Same thing.. I guess Ill boot dos / vista pe so I can have only one boot disk for my setup..

#16 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:44 PM

Well I put this project on hold for long enough..

I have now upgraded to PE 3.0 (with same results).. I was able to load Ghost32 before I added the LSI Logic drivers.

Does anyone know of a fix for LSI Logic in win PE?

#17 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:03 PM

Well that sucks... Odd though cause the DOS version of Ghost 11.5 works flawlessly.. No clue..

Well, DOS version always works better :). Here is another story from me: ghost7dos works nicer than ghost11.5dos on jmicron raid. :) As far as i read topic I am pretty sure your above issue is related to raid.

Besides following jaclaz's advice will be nice. Well my favorite is savepart :)

Does anyone know of a fix for LSI Logic in win PE?

Check these pages
http://www.lsi.com/s...320r/index.html
http://www.lsi.com/s...1068/index.html

Click "Support and Downloads" (at left of 'Documentation', right of 'Feature & Benefits' a bit bottom (NOT TOP)) you will find driver files. Further I guess you will find useful info for driver integration around. Good luck :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users