UBCD V5.0RC1 is now available:

HTTP/FTP download: http://ubcd.linuxfreedom.com/

md5sum: 2340aa8d3e9a6c2596d6a9efa16d79bb

Addition/Changes:

- Updated Grub4Dos v0.4.4 2009-10-16
- Removed /ubcd/boot/grub4dos/grub.exe
- Added /boot/grub/grldr and /boot/grub/menu.lst

- Updated Syslinux v3.83
- Updated MEMDISK (part of Syslinux): fixes booting problems with floppy images on Thinkpads
- Add "raw" parameter to MEMDISK when booting FreeDOS: http://www.ultimateb...opic.php?t=1845
- Added MEMDISK-ISO: http://www.ultimateb...opic.php?t=2028
- Recompiled econfig.c32 to be compatible with Syslinux 3.83: http://www.ultimateb...opic.php?t=1857
- Fixed paths to Parted Magic in hdd\cloning.cfg, hdd\partmgmt.cfg and hdd\recovery.cfg.
- Help text for the Parted Magic menu shows list of included applications (not all of them)
- Updated syslinux config files to new prefered Syslinux syntax (BOOT/COM32/INITRD/LINUX/UI) + menu items alphabetically sorted

- Changed syslinux2grub4dos.sed so it understands the new prefered Syslinux syntax
- Improvements in bash scripts for running syslinux2grub4dos.sh (sorts menu items alphabetically), avira.sh, clamav.sh, fprot.sh.
- Added Win32 batch files for running syslinux2grub4dos.cmd, avira.cmd, clamav.cmd, fprot.cmd.
- Added needed Windows ports of Linux utilies for Win32 batch files
- Added 7-Zip v9.07 beta (xz support needed for Parted Magic modules)
- ubcd2iso.cmd now defaults to creating the ISO image in the root directory when the output path is not supplied. It also displays the full path of the output file upon completion.

- Added DBAN, Offline NT Password & Registry Editor and g4u iso (/ubcd/images/*.iso.gz)
- Removed /ubcd/boot/offline directory
- Removed /ubcd/boot/dban direcotry
- Removed /ubcd/boot/g4u.igz

- Renamed all /ubcd/images/*.igz to /ubcd/images/*.img.gz (floppy images)

- Updated AVIRA AntiVir Rescue System v3.6.9-20091102185524
- Updated Gujin v2.6
- Updated HDDerase v4.0
- Updated memtest86+ v4.0 (new location: /ubcd/boot/memtest86p/memtest86p.bin)
- Updated memtest86 v3.5 (new location: /ubcd/boot/memtest86/memtest86.bin)
- Updated NSSI v0.60.38 (does use the FreeDOS image now, not PC-DOS)
- Updated Parted Magic v4.6 (build: 1 Nov) and F-prot (scanner + definitions), XFprot v2.2 and clamav-definitions
- Updated Partition Saving to v3.71
- Updated Samsung Disk Manager to v10.42
- Updated Samsung ES-Tool v3.00g
- Updated Super Grub Disk v0.9799

- Added Super Grub2 Disk v1.21
- Added Plop v5.0.4
- Added Hardware Detection tool v0.35-pre2
- Added boot.kernel.org (BKO) (/ubcd/boot/bko/gpxe.lkrn)
- Added netboot.me (/ubcd/boot/netbootme/netbootme.lkrn)
- Added Parted Magic modules: PCcmoscleaner, PCdiskEraser, PCloginnow and PCregedit

- Moved directory /ubcd/boot/cpustres/ to /ubcd/boot/cpustress/

http://ultimatebootc...opic.php?t=2131

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:03 AM

A couple of questions, if I may :cheers::

- Removed /ubcd/boot/grub4dos/grub.exe

WHY? :)
Has it been completely removed or moved to somewhere else?

- Renamed all /ubcd/images/*.igz to /ubcd/images/*.img.gz (floppy images)

WHY? ;)
Wouldn't this break the DOS 8.3 naming convention compatibility?

:cheers:

jaclaz

#3 Icecube

Icecube

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1062 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 04 November 2009 - 12:39 PM

grub.exe is removed because it couldn't detect the menu.lst with some CDROM stations. Chainloading grldr works for them.

Wouldn't this break the DOS 8.3 naming convention compatibility?

Yes, but it was already broken because Parted Magic uses "initramfs" as initrd filename.
The /ubcd/images/ folder contains gzipped floppy images (*.img.gz) and gzipped iso images (*.iso.gz). If you stick to the DOS 8.3 naming convention, they both would have the *.igz extension, which is quite confusing. Also *.igz files needed to be renamed to *.img.gz to extract them, which makes it more difficult to look inside those files, for people who don't know this.
But the FreeDOS image has LFN support anyway and besides you don't need necessary need to see the contents of the /ubcd/images/ directory in DOS at all.

#4 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 November 2009 - 03:52 PM

grub.exe is removed because it couldn't detect the menu.lst with some CDROM stations. Chainloading grldr works for them.

Still, why "removing" it alltogether?
Sometimes having the actual grub.exe file is useful (You boot the UBCD then copy from it the grub.exe file to a "target" hard disk that has DOS on it in order to add to it as an option). :cheers:

But the FreeDOS image has LFN support anyway and besides you don't need necessary need to see the contents of the /ubcd/images/ directory in DOS at all.

:)

But for the same reason above if you want to access a given image from a "plain" DOS without LFN it makes things more complex, of course not a problem at all. ;)

I mean, besides being useful as a boot CD UBCD can be used as source to copy to the local hard disk an image to be later booted from the HD, once the CD has been removed.

;)

jaclaz

#5 Icecube

Icecube

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1062 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:11 PM

Still, why "removing" it alltogether?
Sometimes having the actual grub.exe file is useful (You boot the UBCD then copy from it the grub.exe file to a "target" hard disk that has DOS on it in order to add to it as an option). :cheers:

Maybe I will add it again. But I don't think that many people have DOS installed on their HD ;) .

Syslinux and Grub4dos support LFN, so I don't see any problem with it when you want to boot an image from the HD.

#6 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 04 November 2009 - 04:20 PM

Syslinux and Grub4dos support LFN, so I don't see any problem with it when you want to boot an image from the HD.

Sure ;), I was imagining a situation in which one has a working DOS based PC and instead of rebooting to UBCD, simply inserts the CD and copies off it an image he needs.

Not likely to happen often and whoever would need to do so would know how to manage the issue. :cheers:

About grub4dos, I was talking about the presence of grub.exe into the UBCD not necessarily for " UBCD internal use" but as a handy media to copy from the actual grub.exe file, this may not necessarily be a DOS system, it could be any "not connected to the internet" system (and yes, I happen to "play" with a few of these).

;)

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users