Windows Server 2008 x64
Windows Server 2008 x86
Windows Server 2008 R2 x64
Windows Server 2008 R2 x86
Windows 7 x64
Windows 7 x86
Windows Vista x64
Windows Vista x86

I used the "HP Usb Key Utility" to put on both the SmartStart versions, these work without a problem. The usb key utility uses SysLinux to boot the SmartStart, so i'm pretty much stuck to using SysLinux.

I managed to boot one Windows installation by putting all the files in the root of the usb stick and using the following code:

[codebox]LABEL Server 2008 MENU LABEL Server 2008 Test COM32 /chain.c32
APPEND boot ntldr=/BOOTMGR[/codebox]

This works perfectly fine, no problems at all. Also installs etc. But if i do it like this i cant add more installations. I want to make sub directories on my usb stick and install from those.. Example:

[codebox]\Server2008
\Server2008R2
\Windows7
\Vista[/codebox]

But somehow when i let the syslinux.cfg redirect to \Server2008\bootmgr it doesnt work. It gives the error that it cant find \Boot\BCD. Anyone knows how to fix this? Or am i trying the impossible?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: I google'd for over 4 hours, but i got pretty tired of it after not finding anything helping me.. :confused1:

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

This works perfectly fine, no problems at all. Also installs etc. But if i do it like this i cant add more installations. I want to make sub directories on my usb stick and install from those.

But somehow when i let the syslinux.cfg redirect to \Server2008\bootmgr it doesnt work. It gives the error that it cant find \Boot\BCD. Anyone knows how to fix this? Or am i trying the impossible?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.: I google'd for over 4 hours, but i got pretty tired of it after not finding anything helping me.. ;)

Right symptoms :confused1:, wrong causes :unsure:.

The problem is within the MS files and booting system, not in Syslinux.

The \Boot\BCD has to stay in \Boot\BCD

There are a few workarounds, but NOT the ability to have "subfolders", at the moment the used method is having separate (primary) partitions.

Most of the info you will find may be connected with grub4dos but nowadays grub4dos and syslinux are pretty much "interchangeable", and anyway grub4dos is chainloadable from syslinux.

Here is a good start point:
http://www.msfn.org/...s-usb-f157.html

http://www.msfn.org/...ui-t120444.html

- Vista/Windows 7 setup to different primary partitions. Multiple Vista sources in the SAME partition are NOT supported. Place your second Vista setup in another partition. It can be placed on any primary partition.

You can find here how (possibly) workaround the primary/extended partition:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=8788

Or here to a (rather complex) workaround:
http://www.boot-land...?...ic=7138&hl=

jaclaz

#3 heliosys

heliosys
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    Singapore

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:00 PM

If I'm the one doing this, i would create sysprep images of win 7, vista, server 2008, capture within wim, booting win pe to deploy them. A wim image with multiple edition of win 7, vista, or server 2008 is smaller when compare with total size of individual arconis or ghost image.

#4 Shorteh

Shorteh

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 02 November 2009 - 03:35 PM

Hey,

thanks for the replies!

I have created multiple partitions on my usb stick, placed the Windows 7 installation in it and added the following rule to syslinux.cfg:

[codebox]MENU LABEL Windows 7 label Windows7 kernel /syslinux/chain.c32 append hd0,3 ntldr=bootmgr[/codebox] But it doesnt work.. It does show up on the menu, but when i select it i get the following error message: [codebox]Loading the boot file. . . Failed to load the boot file boot: _[/codebox] Anyone had this error before? I have tried so many different things but i just cant fix it.. The setup did load when i renamed bootmgr to ntldr, but that gave me an error later on so.. That doesnt work either.

Any tips would be very welcome!

P.S. I am using syslinux 3.83..

#5 Icecube

Icecube

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1063 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 02 November 2009 - 06:16 PM

bootmgr must be on the same partition as the partition from which you boot SYSLLINUX.

If you use:
ntldr=bootmgr
SYSLINUX will search for bootmgr in the same directory as the one with the syslinux.cfg file. Place the file in the right directory or use an absolute path.

#6 Shorteh

Shorteh

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 03 November 2009 - 09:56 AM

bootmgr must be on the same partition as the partition from which you boot SYSLLINUX.

If you use:

ntldr=bootmgr
SYSLINUX will search for bootmgr in the same directory as the one with the syslinux.cfg file. Place the file in the right directory or use an absolute path.

Yes but, the thing i want to do is load bootmgr from another partition.

Syslinux is on hd0,1. The bootmgr from Windows 7 is on hd0,3. I want to load the Bootmgr from hd0,3. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

#7 Icecube

Icecube

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1063 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:08 PM

Place bootmgr on hd0,1 (the rest of the Windows files can stay at hd0,3).

#8 Shorteh

Shorteh

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:15 PM

Place bootmgr on hd0,1 (the rest of the Windows files can stay at hd0,3).

I did that, it then says that \Boot\BCD cant be found. Shouldnt it load this file from hd0,3 now?

#9 Icecube

Icecube

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1063 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 03 November 2009 - 12:59 PM

Yes

Be sure you specified the right partition:

* Partitions 1-4 are primary, 5+ logical, 0 = boot MBR (default.)

Also read Jaclaz's post and given links again.

#10 Shorteh

Shorteh

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:02 PM

Yes

Be sure you specified the right partition:

Also read Jaclaz's post and given links again.

I'm sure i specified the right partition. I just cant seem to get any further as this. I've already read the links, already googled for like 8 hours more.. I'm stuck at this point.. Any help would be very appreciated..

#11 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:29 PM

I'm sure i specified the right partition. I just cant seem to get any further as this. I've already read the links, already googled for like 8 hours more.. I'm stuck at this point.. Any help would be very appreciated..

Let's try an experiment.

Copy grub4dos grub.exe on root of hd0,1 (the USB thingy)

Add to Syslinux an entry like:

label grub4dos
kernel /grub.exe

Can you boot to grub4dos command line?

If yes:
root (hd0,6)
[ENTER]
chainloader /
[TAB]
autocomplete up to
chainloader /bootmgr
[ENTER]
boot
[ENTER]

Report what happens/what feedback grub4dos gives.

jaclaz

#12 Shorteh

Shorteh

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

Awesome! It booted my setup now.. :-) Thanks alot! The next problem occurs a few seconds later tho..

"Required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing."..

I can press Browse to select a driver by hand, but when i press that i see the problem already. It doesnt show the Windows partition on my USB stick, it just shows my 1st partition. I did something wrong on the partitioning part maybe?

I used a custom .inf to make my USB stick display as a harddisk, this way i could partition it. The problem is that the custom .inf is obviously not loaded in the setup, this way it only sees the first partition.

Any ideas on this one? I already tried loading the custom driver in the setup, but it says the driver cant be installed.

#13 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:22 PM

Awesome! It booted my setup now.. :-) Thanks alot! The next problem occurs a few seconds later tho..

Good. :cheers:
It should mean that somehow you have to establish (hd0,6) as ROOT, cannot say how that is done in syslinux.

"Required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing."..

I can press Browse to select a driver by hand, but when i press that i see the problem already. It doesnt show the Windows partition on my USB stick, it just shows my 1st partition. I did something wrong on the partitioning part maybe?

I used a custom .inf to make my USB stick display as a harddisk, this way i could partition it. The problem is that the custom .inf is obviously not loaded in the setup, this way it only sees the first partition.

Any ideas on this one? I already tried loading the custom driver in the setup, but it says the driver cant be installed.

It could be almost anything. ;)

You seem like having introduced a number of variations, and it is difficult to say without knowing ALL of them (and even after having known all of them) which one may cause the problem.

Another experiment, FORGET anything you have made and just create a stick with a documented method:
http://www.msfn.org/...ui-t120444.html

In other words, you started from the "easy part" (the HP Smart whatever) and added "complex" things.

Try the other way round, start with "complex" things using a method that is documented and reported to be working, and then add the "easy part". ;)

:)

jaclaz

#14 Icecube

Icecube

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1063 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 03 November 2009 - 04:42 PM

@ Shorteh
Which is the root drive in grub4dos?
In Syslinux you have to add 1 to this number.

Suppose you have the following in grub4dos:

root (hd0,6)

you have to use, the following in Syslinux:

label Windows7
kernel /syslinux/chain.c32
append hd0,7 ntldr=bootmgr

#15 Shorteh

Shorteh

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:26 AM

Icecube, afaik the root settings are all correct. It loads the BOOTMGR without a problem, so grub4dos is doing its job perfectly fine. But then when the setup loads it wont show the other partitions on the USB stick because it doesnt have the custom driver. Any idea how to make it load from the other partition?..

jaclaz, that tool makes less sense to me as all this linux does! Hehe, I'll take a look in it tho, altho I prefer staying with this method of Grub & Syslinux..

Thanks for the replies once again!

#16 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 November 2009 - 10:22 AM

jaclaz, that tool makes less sense to me as all this linux does! Hehe, I'll take a look in it tho, altho I prefer staying with this method of Grub & Syslinux..

It's NOT Grub, it's grub4dos and guess which bootmanager do the linked to methods use? :drunk:

About the removable vs fixed device I personally like to cut the Gordian knot:
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Gordian_Knot
flip the stoopid "Removable" bit in the USB stick controller (if a Manufacturer tool can be found) and be done with it.

But you could also experiment adding the settings of your "Custom.inf" (which I would bet is nothing more or less than installing either cfadisk.sys or dummydisk.sys Filter Driver).

Search for posts by cdob on MSFN and 911CD with "cfadisk.sys" as keyword.

jaclaz

#17 Shorteh

Shorteh

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 11 November 2009 - 11:11 AM

Yeah I ment grub4dos, excuse mee.

And i tried to flip the removable bit using the Lexar tool, but it doesnt work on my Kingston Datatraveler. That's my luck i guess.. And i dont really feel like adding the custom driver cause it'll end up showing my USB stick as a harddrive on every pc i install. The PC's i plan on installing with this are for customers, so i prefer to do a method like the flipping the removable bit..

Also yes, the custom inf is indeed installing the cfadisk.sys :-).. It works on the guest OS i use to make the stick, but in the setup obviously not.. Didnt really think of that.

I'm starting to think i'm trying the impossible?

#18 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 November 2009 - 12:53 PM

And i tried to flip the removable bit using the Lexar tool, but it doesnt work on my Kingston Datatraveler. That's my luck i guess..

Sure it doesn't. :)

Quick test :):
If you want to loosen a hex bolt 13 mm metric, what do you do:
  • try using on it a 7/8" wrench because that's all you have handy, and since it won't work start whining about your bad luck? :drunk:
  • procure yourself a suitable 13 mm spanner, and just loosen the stoopid bolt? :)

Get chipgenius:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4661

Find the chip used in your stick.
Find the appropriate tool, here is a good place to start:
http://flashboot.ru/...php?name=iflash
Check if there is the possiblity of flipping the bit.
If yes, flip it.

Most probably it's a Phison or a Skymedi:
http://www.msfn.org/...84-page-18.html
If I remember correctly :) the Skymedi is "flippable", whilst the Phison may not.

:)

jaclaz

#19 Shorteh

Shorteh

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 11 November 2009 - 01:46 PM

Device Name: +[G:](Kingston DataTraveler 2.0 USB Device)

PnP Device ID: VID = 5986 PID = 0137
Serial Number: 5&&3C9046B&&0&&4
Revision: /1.00

Device Type: Standard USB device -

Chip Vendor: (No match record)
Chip Part-Number: (No match record)

Product Vendor: Kingston
Product Model: DataTraveler 2.0

Tools on Web: (N/A)

No match! Did i mention that it's my luck? :drunk:

#20 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:21 PM

PnP Device ID: VID = 5986 PID = 0137

This is interesting, that appears like a HP or Acer webcam VID/PID:
http://forum.ubuntu-...2588.msg2465466

The 5986 is the Acer VID according to the Linux guys:
http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

It does look a lot like a "fake" Kingston, "real" Kingston have usually either:
0951 Kingston Technology Company
13FE Phison Electronics Corp.

You must be out of luck. :drunk:

jaclaz

#21 Shorteh

Shorteh

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:36 PM

How can this be a fake Kingston?
I have bought it at an official reseller.. It must be authentic.. Oo
Maybe it's a new type of USB stick? Cause we havent been selling this one for long, they're just recently introduced i think.. :/

#22 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 November 2009 - 02:42 PM

How can this be a fake Kingston?
I have bought it at an official reseller.. It must be authentic.. Oo
Maybe it's a new type of USB stick? Cause we havent been selling this one for long, they're just recently introduced i think.. :/

Cannot say, but usually VID of a "reputable" manufacturer is in the "official" list:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=1659

and I can assure you that I have personally seen "real" Kingston's only with 0951.

Maybe trying Chipgenius on another machine?
Which OS are you running?

jaclaz

#23 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:28 AM

Another option would be to have a special boot-loader installed on every partition, where that boot-loader would be capable to repartitioning the USB storage device in order to hide the unused partitions. If you're booting Windows "A", effect an MBR which only has the partition for Windows "A" available. If this special boot-loader is the same on each partition and has access to the same "truth" about all partitions' locations, I could imagine this working. - Sha0

#24 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:05 AM

Another option would be to have a special boot-loader installed on every partition, where that boot-loader would be capable to repartitioning the USB storage device in order to hide the unused partitions. If you're booting Windows "A", effect an MBR which only has the partition for Windows "A" available. If this special boot-loader is the same on each partition and has access to the same "truth" about all partitions' locations, I could imagine this working. - Sha0

Well, there is not actually a need for a multiple bootloader.

Grub4dos can do this from one single instance :cheers:, see here:
http://www.boot-land...?...ic=7138&hl=

jaclaz

#25 Icecube

Icecube

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1063 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:32 PM

I did that, it then says that \Boot\BCD cant be found. Shouldnt it load this file from hd0,3 now?

Can you try Syslinux-3.85-pre11?
It should fix the problem (loads the boot sector and corrects the hidden sectors in the boot sector if needed).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users