Photo
- - - - -

Install XPSP2 from USB to Acer Revo (problems!)

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2009 - 05:57 PM

And as a last ditch attempt I did some Googling for issues with the BIOS versions as the fact I'd had to update to one that was also marked specifically as Linux was nagging in the back of my mind.

I found a chinese site that I managed to translate where someone had had problems installing windows until one of the non Linux bios had been put on. So I then had to work out how to downgrade the BIOS and get around the fact that it was giving ROM ID errors.. it's been an interesting afternoon!

Anyways, long and the short of it is that I still get the 99 99 99 error regardless, it just seems to refuse to find the primary active partition to either boot into DOS or to continue with Windows setup

#52 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 November 2009 - 06:26 PM

Sorry the FAT was a typo on my part, the last partition is actually NTFS as the type was indicating (Doh!)

Ok, just to be 'perfectly' certain everything is correctly in place I have gone back through the other link you posted and re-setup the HDD.

1. Formatted D: with /S switch to create the DOS system
2. Copied the XP setup files to E: using the /S /A /V switches
3. Gone back to grub and re-mapped the disks so that fixed disk is 0
4. Root (HD0,0) to establish active
5. Boot (after taking USB key out!) and I hear the fixed disk spin up (for the first time!) and I'm in DOS

Step 5 first part is unneeded (taking the stick out), as the drives were re-mapped with grub4dos.

So you ran the WINNT.EXE and supposedly the files were copied, right?

Then you restarted and you cannot boot anymore.

Good :cheers: (it means bad :), but assume it actually means "good" ;))

Now, boot again from the USB stick, get to grub4dos command line, remap the drives and try chainloading the NT loader (instead of DOS).
map (hd0) (hd1)

map (hd1) (hd0)

map --hook
then
root (hd0,0)

chainloader /
[TAB]
depending in which step you are of the setup, you may find a number of files in the root, post what files are listed (and yes, ALL of them ;)).

I need the full list to tell you which file to actually try chainloading (and to check at which exact stage you are of the setup).

jaclaz

#53 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2009 - 07:04 PM

Ok, files in root are:
io.sys
msdos.sys
command.com
drvspave.bin
bootlog.txt
bootlog.prv
himem.sys
config.sys
fdisk.exe
format.com
xcopy.exe
xcopy32.exe
$win_nt$.~bt
bootsect.dos
boot.ini
txtsetup.sif
$ldr$
ntsetect.com
ntldr
$win_nt$.~ls

*phew*

#54 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:26 PM

GOOD ;):

io.sys <-DOS, OK
msdos.sys <-DOS, OK
command.com <-DOS, OK
drvspave.bin drvspace.bin <-DOS, OK
bootlog.txt <-NT Setup, OK
bootlog.prv <-NT Setup, OK
himem.sys <-DOS, OK
config.sys <-DOS, OK
fdisk.exe <-DOS, OK
format.com <-DOS, OK
xcopy.exe <-DOS, OK
xcopy32.exe <-DOS, OK
$win_nt$.~bt <-NT Setup BOOT directory, OK
bootsect.dos <-NT Setup copy of Dos Bootsector, OK
boot.ini <-NT Setup, OK
txtsetup.sif <-NT Setup, OK
$ldr$ <-NT NTLDR renamed, OK
[s]ntsetect.com[/s ntdetect.com<-NT Setup, OK
ntldr <-NT NTLDR, OK
$win_nt$.~ls <-NT "Rest of Files" directory, OK

Ok, with the "switched drives" and root established to the internal hard disk you may try:
chainloader /bootsect.dos

boot
(should make you boot again in DOS from the internal HD)

chainloader /io.sys

boot
(will make you boot again in DOS from the internal HD)

chainloader /ntldr

boot
(may make you boot and continue the NT SETUP on the internal HD)

chainloader /$ldr$

boot
(may make you boot in the NT SETUP on the internal HD)

I am not sure if you are in the phase when "normally" $ldr$ or NTLDR should be loaded :).
You can try the two DOS ones all the times you want, but if you choose the wrong one between $ldr$ and NTLDR you may need to re-start the WINNT.EXE process, BTW, where did you copy the source files to?
You don't have a \I386\ directory with the source XP files and WINNT.EXE? ;)

If I were you I would try chainloading the NTLDR.

Before that make sure that you can boot DOS in either (or both) the ways I suggested, you may need to run some DOS tools to fix (hopefully) the problem.

:cheers:

jaclaz

#55 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:33 PM

I copied the source files to the D: drive which was the second partition on the fixed disk formatted as FAT.

I did it like this so that I wouldn't have to keep copying them from USB if I needed to reformat C: or if anything ever went wrong in the future...

Ok, so I tired the NTLDR and guess what....

It worked!! ;)

So, I'm now at the screen where you select the partition that you want to install onto.

Do I select C: ?
I have D: as the XPSETUP files which I'd like to keep and an NTFS partition that I can nerf if needed.

#56 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:38 PM

I did it like this so that I wouldn't have to keep copying them from USB if I needed to reformat C: or if anything ever went wrong in the future...

You mean you didn't trust me? ;) ;)

Seriously, nice idea and approach. :cheers:

Do I select C: ?

Yes. :)
(if you want it on a FAT volume, otherwise you can select the third (NTFS) one allright.)

Once SETUP will be completed, we will see what can we do to fix the problem, you should anyway be able to boot "normally" through the USB stick + grub4dos by exchanging drives and chainloading NTLDR.

jaclaz

#57 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:48 PM

Is there any issue with me choosing a partition not at the start of the disk? Or was it only 98 that required to be within the first part?

I appreciate I can change drive letters at a later date with Partition Manager or similar, but don't want to be complicating things if it should really be on the first part of the disk.

Seriously, nice idea and approach.

Thats my programming background, keep it in logical units ;)

I have to say I've been building PC's for years and this is the first time I've ever had to resort to a forum... I feel like a bit of a failure but from the various forums it looks as if I have the internets best troubleshooter at hand.. ;)

#58 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:08 PM

Not to worry, i chose C:

A few nervous moments when it restarted but it picked up where it left off and i now have the Windows GUI doing the install.

It looks very promising so far but lets not pop any champagne corks yet....

I'll post back in 40 mins or so.....

#59 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:48 PM

Ok, let the corks fly!!!!!

Restarting no problems, installing drivers now.

I feel like I owe you many pints jaclaz, I can't thank you enough.

I also hope that the many pages here may be of use to others who might have problems with their Revo - I'm sure I can't be the only one!

#60 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:40 PM

...I found a chinese site that I managed to translate where someone had had problems installing windows until one of the non Linux bios had been put on. So I then had to work out how to downgrade the BIOS and get around the fact that it was giving ROM ID errors.. it's been an interesting afternoon!...

Was the problem actually in BIOS? Did you manage to downgrade/change BIOS?
If that's the case, perhaps mentioning what BIOS should be used may help others hitting the same problem.

Glad you got it (nearly) solved.

#61 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:03 PM

No, I don't think the BIOS actually was the problem, however the Acer site does list about 5 BIOS roms the most recent of which and the one 2 before that both specifically marked 'Linux'

I put on the one between them R01.A2 but you need to force it to not verify ROM ID in order to get it to update.

#62 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:58 AM

I have to say I've been building PC's for years and this is the first time I've ever had to resort to a forum... I feel like a bit of a failure but from the various forums it looks as if I have the internets best troubleshooter at hand.. :cheers:

And you NEVER learned how to install a NT system "properly"? :cheers:

Actually it is advised to NOT install a NT system on the first (and often only) partition.

It's more than fifteen years than a few guys (including Gilles Vollant and yours truly ;) ) go around saying that.

Some of the reasons:
http://www.msfn.org/...964-page-6.html
http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm

Was the problem "automagically fixed" during or after the install? :)

What you reported did look like a somehow "wrong" bootsector (theat's why I made you boot the stooopid thingy bypassing the bootsector and directly chainloading the loader). ;)

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users