Photo
- - - - -

Install XPSP2 from USB to Acer Revo (problems!)

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#26 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:28 PM

When run WinSetupFromUSB did you move manually the radio button FIXED/REMOVABLE type or it was auto selected and you left it as it is?

Try something- open K:\txtsetup.sif and find this line:
[BusExtenders.Load]

rdummy=rdummy.sys
Comment it out, put ; at front:
;rdummy=rdummy.sys
Save txtsetup.sif and try Setup again. Do not continue if you get to the partitions screen, just post how far you got.

Did you flip the removable bit of the USB stick? Or using USB hard disk?

Other ideas-
- try to find update for BIOS and apply it.
- if you have internal card reader try to disable it in BIOS if possible. If not- put formatted card in it.

Similar report for badly behaving Acer:
http://www.msfn.org/...p;view=findpost

#27 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:37 PM

Ok, I commented out the rdummy and tried again. Still failed at the same place. I also made sure I disabled the card reader.

I manually selected fixed disk in WinSetupFromUSB. Would you like me to create it again with removable?

By the way, is there a way I could copy the setup files to the physical HDD and run them from there?

#28 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:53 PM

The current BIOS is version R01-A1L which is listed on the Acer site as Linux so I'm going to upgrade it to R01-A2 and see if that helps.

#29 Immortal

Immortal

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:40 PM

Have you tried in Bios Settings from AHCI to Native IDE?

If not: Try update the BIOS

#30 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:14 PM

Have you tried in Bios Settings from AHCI to Native IDE?

Yes, both Native IDE and AHCI - both fail the same way

have now updated the BIOS to the latest version. The boot now seems to go slower but it still fails at the same point.

#31 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:40 PM

I found this which talks about slipstreaming the SATA drivers. Could this be an issue if they aren't present on the image, or shouldn't it make a difference with Native IDE selected?

http://www.revouser....pic.php?f=4&t=8

Edit: well i did a new nLite image with the nVidia drivers 'just in case' but still no luck :cheers:

Is this starting to look like a hardware issue do you think? Does this require a fresh approach maybe?

#32 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:49 AM

Can you try the USB stick as it is on another computer, just to see if you can get to the partitioning screen in text mode. No need to continue install.

#33 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2009 - 01:14 AM

Just tried on my desktop which is an Acer Aspire M3640 and it worked fine to the windows setup screen.

#34 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2009 - 03:33 AM

And just for good measure I tried an external USB HDD and that also stops at the point where it tries to load the NT File system.

#35 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:23 AM

I am running out of ideas...

#36 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:24 PM

Well in the spirit of never saying die (just yet...) I'm having a go at an alternative route.

I've created a C:\ primary FAT32 WinXP partition and a d:\ 2GB FAT32 logical disk in the extended partition and am in the process of copying the XP install files to the logical disk to attempt to cut out the USB element of this. In the process I can then confirm that all of the partitions are exactly as they should be.

Unfortunately I forgot to use smartdrv before the copy so it's taking a while.... :cheers:

I'll let you know how it goes.

#37 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:36 PM

Well in the spirit of never saying die (just yet...) I'm having a go at an alternative route.

I've created a C:\ primary FAT32 WinXP partition and a d:\ 2GB FAT32 logical disk in the extended partition and am in the process of copying the XP install files to the logical disk to attempt to cut out the USB element of this. In the process I can then confirm that all of the partitions are exactly as they should be.

Unfortunately I forgot to use smartdrv before the copy so it's taking a while.... ;)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Just in case, that should be the good ol' DOS way, see if anything here helps:
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=16713

:cheers:

jaclaz

#38 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:00 PM

Well I'm really stumped now, it copies the setup files and then asks for a restart where it comes back to the blue screen where it loads the various drivers, F6 for 3rd party, etc and it stops AT EXACTLY THE SAME POINT!!!! :cheers:

I'm really wondering if theres something wrong with a piece of hardware or something now.

I was thinking that what might be happening is that its trying to install on the USB drive for some reason, so after copying, I browsed to the E: drive where I'd copied the XP files to and launched WINNT, but I took the USB stick out first. Sure enough, it reported that it couldn't find a disk on the computer. Could this be SATA related?

#39 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 31 October 2009 - 06:36 PM

Do you have any chance to try with different memory modules, without voiding your warranty of course, or if you have 2 or more modules to remove them one by one, just to test of any of them is faulty...

#40 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:14 PM

Well I'm really stumped now, it copies the setup files and then asks for a restart where it comes back to the blue screen where it loads the various drivers, F6 for 3rd party, etc and it stops AT EXACTLY THE SAME POINT!!!! :)

Which should mean that the problem is not in the USB source or method. :cheers:

I'm really wondering if theres something wrong with a piece of hardware or something now.

Could be, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I was thinking that what might be happening is that its trying to install on the USB drive for some reason, so after copying, I browsed to the E: drive where I'd copied the XP files to and launched WINNT, but I took the USB stick out first. Sure enough, it reported that it couldn't find a disk on the computer. Could this be SATA related?

As I see it, it's time to try using a "third way":
http://www.msfn.org/...sb-t121446.html

A PE, though less "sensible" to an eventual hardware fault as the XP setup is, might be a much better "testing ground" to look for the cause of the problem.

You will need some time to build the PE, but you won't regret it as it will be a very handy "escape pod" should any problem happen in the future.

:cheers:

jaclaz

#41 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2009 - 07:50 PM

I can't open the case unfortunately without voiding warranty, but i could run memtest or similar.

@jaclaz - I've found the link you sent very useful however after following the instructions to the letter I still can't get the thing to boot to DOS from the fixed disk.

Using a USB DOS drive with Win98SE boot disk on it I did the following:
1. Booted to DOS from key
2. FDISK and selected fixed disk and created Primary Partition then restarted.
3. FORMAT D: /S then removed the USB key and restarted.
4. Checked BIOS boot order
5. Continue reboot and it just displays
99 99 99 99 99 99 99, etc for a few lines then

Reboot and select proper media device

This is the same as what happens with one of my USB keys that I thougfht was just bad/incorrect media type a few days ago. It seems to be a standard error code if it can't find an OS.

edit: sorry i think i started typing this before your previous post, but posted it after!

I'm not convinced to try another way just yet as I'd really like to know why I can't even boot to DOs from the fixed disk. This seems to be a fundamental problem that could be the cause. Can we explore this first before moving onto PE?

#42 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:09 PM

Actually, I think I may be slowly getting this... (some hope :cheers: )

In order to boot DOS from fixed disk (disk 2) the partition would need to be active right? If so, I thought I'd check and see if it was. I wasn't, but the USB DOS key (disk 1)was.

When I tried to set the primary partition on the fixed disk to active but it said that only partitions on disk 1 can be made active.

So how do i go about setting it active in order to boot from it when I've taken the key out? Or does it realise that its now effectively disk 1 and set itself active anyway?

Oh one other thing that looks strange, when i look at partition information in fdisk the primary partition (~30GB) shows usage 100%. There should only be DOS files on there so it can't be full. Or is this normal?

edit: used grub to set the partition active but when i rebooted it still did the 99 thing.

#43 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:49 PM

Ok, I think its really hosed now...

E: drive that had all my setup files on the fixed disk suddenly lost all its contents. So I thought I'd just reformat and copy over again. However FORMAT wouldn't work so I thought to just delete the partition with FDISK but that just hangs as soon as you start it.

I loaded up gpart but that didn't show any partitions and wouldn't allow me to make any more, even though I can still browse the D: drive from DOS.

edit: ok back to the status quo after using the grub4dos disk utility. Partitions active and visible but still can't boot to DOS from fixed disk.

#44 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 November 2009 - 08:33 AM

There is obviously something "strange" in what you report.

I get thet you can boot a DOS on the stick, right?

Add to the stick grub.exe.

Once booted into DOS, run grub.exe.

Issue the command
find (
[TAB]
You should see a number of drives, like (hd0) (hd1) (rd).

Now run, for each of the (hdx) ones the command:
geometry (hdx)
[ENTER]

Then for each of them, do
root (hdx,
[TAB]
and let it autocomplete tioll (example) (hd0,0), (hd0,1), (hd1,0) etc. and press [ENTER]

Post the feedback that grub4dos gives for each of the commands.

This will allow hopefully to understand how the BIOS sees the drives you have and how they are partitioned/formatted.

jaclaz

#45 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:00 PM

Ok, here's what grub says:

Geometry HD0:
Partition No:0, active, FAT

Geometry HD1:
Part No:0, active, FAT
Part No:1, FAT
Part No:2, ntfs

The root for each partition simply told me the filesystem type as listed in the geometry bit above.

I wonder, is this something to do with the fact the first disk being seen by the system is the USB one rather than the fixed disk?

One other thing that might be relevant, when I look in the BIOS under CMOS features it shows SATA Port 1 and SATA Port 2. The hard disk seems to jump around between these 2 ports when i look. I've not been able to establish a pattern yet.

#46 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:08 PM

NO, it does not say that, it also says the size of the drive and it's CHS, like in here:

geometry (hd0,0) = drive 0x80(LBA): C/H/S=155061/255/63, Sector Count/Size=-1803912331/512
Partition num: 0, Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x27
partition num: 1, filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x6
partition num: 2, filesystem type is ntfs, partition type 0x7

If I ask a report is because I need the report to (hopefully) understand what is happening, NOT the parts of it you think interesting. :lol:

Which device (between the USB stick and the internal hard disk) has a single FAT partition? Drive 0 I presume.
Which device is the internal hard disk? Drive 1 I presume.

Now issue these commands:
map (hd0) (hd1)

map (hd1) (hd0)

map --hook

And re-run the
geometry (hd0)
and
geometry (hd1)
commands.

This time report the output :lol:.

jaclaz

#47 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2009 - 12:26 PM

Ok, as some of this stuff is quite long, if there are specific bits you need/don't need,could you identify them so I don't have to type out strings of unneeded stuff, its not a copy/paste y'know :lol:

Yeah drive 0 is USB, drive 1 is internal

Ok, I remapped the drives to switch them, this is the new gometry report (in full but with some abbreviation!)

HD0
drive 0x80(LBA): C/H/S=1024/255/63, Sector Count/Size=16450560/512

Part No:0, active, FAT, type 0x0c

Part No:1, FAT, type 0x0c

Part No:2, FAT, type 0x07

HD1
drive 0x81(LBA): C/H/S=479/255/63, Sector Count/Size=7695135/512

Part No:0, active, FAT, type 0x0c

#48 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:13 PM

Good :lol:, now drives are as they should be (internal drive first in "BIOS" order)

How did the 2nd partiton (FAT) and the 3rd NTFS (07) but detected as FAT ;) "appear", I got it that last time you created a DOS partiton with fdisk. :lol:

Do you actually have DOS files on the internal hard disk?

Try in grub4dos:

root (hd0,0)

[ENTER]

This should establish root on first hard disk, first partition, active.

chainloader /
[TAB]

You should see a list of files in the root directory of the internal hard disk.
Among them there should be:
  • IO.SYS
  • MSDOS.SYS
  • COMMAND.COM

type "i" on the line and press [TAB] again, i.e.:
chainloader /i
[TAB]
go on using the autocomplete feature of grub4dos until you get to:
chainloader /io.sys
an press [ENTER]

You should get a message similar to:

Will boot MS-DOS 7.x from drive=0x81, partition=0x0(hidden sectors=0x3f)

At this point:
boot
[ENTER]

should make you boot to DOS.

jaclaz

#49 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2009 - 03:50 PM

Sorry the FAT was a typo on my part, the last partition is actually NTFS as the type was indicating (Doh!)

Ok, just to be 'perfectly' certain everything is correctly in place I have gone back through the other link you posted and re-setup the HDD.

1. Formatted D: with /S switch to create the DOS system
2. Copied the XP setup files to E: using the /S /A /V switches
3. Gone back to grub and re-mapped the disks so that fixed disk is 0
4. Root (HD0,0) to establish active
5. Boot (after taking USB key out!) and I hear the fixed disk spin up (for the first time!) and I'm in DOS

Only thing I forgot was to copy smartdrv to the DOS partition, so I'll go back and do that and try the install *fingers crossed*

#50 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:46 PM

Well, after such a promising start its come to a fairly depressing conclusion.

After running WINNT from the d: drive it went through the process of copying the windows setup files.

It then prompted me for a restart and when it came back up I got the
99 99 99 99 99 99 99 etc

Reboot and Select proper media device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

I double checked the BIOS but its set to boot the HDD first and there is nothing else plugged in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users