Photo
- - - - -

Install XPSP2 from USB to Acer Revo (problems!)

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:30 PM

Hi All

I feel as if I've read just about every resource over the last few days regarding XP from USB installs and I now have a C: root full of various tools and a small pile of USB flash drives, SD cards and an external USB HDD to my name... and only just got the PC to start to play ball.

A little history and info:
I've got an Acer Revo R3600 which came supplied with just a lite Linux quickboot OS.
Following various guides and using a range of software tools (created both from a Vista machine and an XPSP3 machine) I continually got NTLDR missing errors at which point I suspected the media I was using.
So today I got a Kingston Datatraveller 4GB (I'd read on a forum that someone had success with one of these) and tried again using RMPrepUSB and WinSetupFromUSB with the drive set as a harddisk using NTFS.

So now I'm getting somewhere:
I get to the second option screen and choose part 1. I get the windows blue screen with the grey bar at the bottom with F6 for RAID, etc then it loads kernell debugger, AHCI drivers etc, but then suddenly stops and restarts.
It comes back to the second option screen where it has already highlighted Part2. When I select this I get the ever popular
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<windows root>\system32\hal.dll

So I go back to the start and try selecting each of the listed partitions in the list. Each of the disk 0 entries gives the hal.dll error.
Each of the disk 1 entries gives
Windows could not start because of a disk hardware configuration problem, etc, etc

I'm now at a bit of a dead end (and somewhat ragged it must be said!)

Can anyone assist with the next bit?

Oh yeah, I'm using a slipstreamed XPSP2 image

Much obliged :confused1:

#2 Immortal

Immortal

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:43 PM

Maybe something wrong in boot.ini file on the usb-stick.

If one line looks like this:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

Try change to:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS

If it works your first partition is occupied.

Good luck :-)

#3 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:04 AM

Here is the boot.ini

&#91;Boot Loader&#93;

Timeout=5

Default=multi&#40;0&#41;disk&#40;0&#41;rdisk&#40;1&#41;partition&#40;1&#41;\WINDOWS

&#91;Operating Systems&#93;

multi&#40;0&#41;disk&#40;0&#41;rdisk&#40;1&#41;partition&#40;1&#41;\WINDOWS=&#34;Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 1&#34; /FASTDETECT

c&#58;\=&#34;-------------------------&#34;

c&#58;\=&#34;Try entries below if getting HAL.DLL/NTOSKRNL.EXE not found errors&#34;

c&#58;\=&#34;--------------------------&#34;

multi&#40;0&#41;disk&#40;0&#41;rdisk&#40;1&#41;partition&#40;2&#41;\WINDOWS=&#34;Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 2&#34; /FASTDETECT

multi&#40;0&#41;disk&#40;0&#41;rdisk&#40;1&#41;partition&#40;3&#41;\WINDOWS=&#34;Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 3&#34; /FASTDETECT

multi&#40;0&#41;disk&#40;0&#41;rdisk&#40;1&#41;partition&#40;4&#41;\WINDOWS=&#34;Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 4&#34; /FASTDETECT

multi&#40;0&#41;disk&#40;0&#41;rdisk&#40;2&#41;partition&#40;1&#41;\WINDOWS=&#34;Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 1&#34; /FASTDETECT

multi&#40;0&#41;disk&#40;0&#41;rdisk&#40;2&#41;partition&#40;2&#41;\WINDOWS=&#34;Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 2&#34; /FASTDETECT

multi&#40;0&#41;disk&#40;0&#41;rdisk&#40;2&#41;partition&#40;3&#41;\WINDOWS=&#34;Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 3&#34; /FASTDETECT

multi&#40;0&#41;disk&#40;0&#41;rdisk&#40;2&#41;partition&#40;4&#41;\WINDOWS=&#34;Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 4&#34; /FASTDETECT

I've tried every option on the list as in my post above and get the hal.dll error or the other one.

When it does the first txt boot I'm guessing it should actually bring me to the screen where I get to choose a partition and format it. However it's restarting before it ever gets to that point.

Just to add, the last items I can make out just before the reboot are the FAT and FAT32 parts.

#4 Immortal

Immortal

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:15 AM

Try to change this line:
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
To:
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS

#5 Immortal

Immortal

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:28 AM

Try to change this line:
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
To:
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS

If the above does not work, try Fat32 instead of Ntfs.

You can also try another Tool: WinToFlash (Google for it)

#6 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:37 AM

I'm just in the process of creating a new USB using a different XP image just to be certain it's not that causing the problems. This one is NTFS, and I'll try the boot.ini change and report back.

Cheers

#7 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2009 - 12:50 AM

Ok, different image, same problem.

Tried changing the boot.ini as suggested but same, no joy.

I'll set a new USB drive creating now as FAT32 then I'm off to bed and we can start again tomorrow... :confused1:

#8 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:57 AM

...I get to the second option screen and choose part 1. I get the windows blue screen with the grey bar at the bottom with F6 for RAID, etc then it loads kernell debugger, AHCI drivers etc, but then suddenly stops and restarts.
It comes back to the second option screen where it has already highlighted Part2. When I select this I get the ever popular

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt&#58;

<windows root>\system32\hal.dll

As I get it you cannot complete the first part, which explains of course why you cannot start the second part.:confused1:
The second part is auto defaulted once the first part is started, not completed, as we cannot find out(easily) if it performed successfully or not.

There is no need to mess with boot.ini as you haven't reached that far, yet.

Lets investigate what happens on the first part and why it restarts. No need to change partition types as well, since you can start and reach Text mode to some stage. Leave it NTFS for now.

What's the last thing you see exactly during Text mode?
What source are you using? Have you tried regular XP SP2/3?

#9 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:02 AM

This might give you some hints:
http://www.msfn.org/...ui-t138614.html

Rob K managed to get a little further than you , before seeemingly "abandoning" the game.

jaclaz

#10 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2009 - 09:13 AM

Yeah, I found Rob K's saga and was hoping that was going to continue as it was likely very similar problems. I didn't want to jump in and steal his thunder however :confused1: I guess if we can work it out then it might be of help to others.

@ilko - the last thing I can just make it out as loading is FAT and FAT32 something or other before the screen goes blank. It's always at the same point.

I've now tried an XPSP2 image, an XPSP2 Media Centre image and a vanilla XP image, which have all come from CD's used to install other machines successfully.

Must go to work now but I'll get another USB key and build 2 versions, one as FAT32 with WintoFlash and one with NTFS and WinSetupFromUSB just so I've got some options handily available for testing so we can rule out issues a bit quicker.

Thanks for your help, I'm feeling a bit more positive about it now :unsure: Let battle commence!

#11 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

Must go to work now but I'll get another USB key and build 2 versions, one as FAT32 with WintoFlash and one with NTFS and WinSetupFromUSB just so I've got some options handily available for testing so we can rule out issues a bit quicker.

If I may :unsure:, perfectly unneeded.
The NTFS vs. FAT32 is ONLY related to four things:
  • bootability of the stick (not a problem in this case)
  • speed of creating the stick with WinsetupFromUSB (not a problem/priority in this case)
  • speed of the actual XP install from the WinsetupFromUSB prepared stick (not a problem/priority in this case)
  • durability/life expextance of the stick (not a problem/priority in this case)

The above, summed up to this:

I feel as if I've read just about every resource over the last few days regarding XP from USB installs and I now have a C: root full of various tools and a small pile of USB flash drives, SD cards and an external USB HDD to my name... and only just got the PC to start to play ball.
I've got an Acer Revo R3600 which came supplied with just a lite Linux quickboot OS.
Following various guides and using a range of software tools (created both from a Vista machine and an XPSP3 machine) I continually got NTLDR missing errors at which point I suspected the media I was using.
So today I got a Kingston Datatraveller 4GB (I'd read on a forum that someone had success with one of these) and tried again using RMPrepUSB and WinSetupFromUSB with the drive set as a harddisk using NTFS.

makes me thinks you have got all the way up to the "desperation stage" and are willing to throw at your "stoopid" ReVo whatever you can find.

From experience, this approach, similar to the "Infinite Monkey Theorem":
http://en.wikipedia...._monkey_theorem
doesn't usually work in a finite amount of time.

My advice is:
DON'T PANIC
(assume the above to be written in large, friendly letters)

You chose one app (the WinSetupfromUSB), good ;), let's troubleshoot the problem with it and the ReVo in a step by step, "logical" approach as opposed to try all random or semi-random ideas that come to your mind.

Forget about Media Center, which is a source that is generally known to give some troubles.
Forget about Vanilla XP.
Only use ONE source, the XP SP2 image, should by any chance some modification needed to it we will do it at it ONLY.

Thanks for your help, I'm feeling a bit more positive about it now ;) Let battle commence!

Right approach. :unsure:

Rest assured that we won't be defeated that easily by your "stoopid" ReVo :confused1:

But remember:

"You will know (the good from the bad) when you are calm, at peace. Passive." A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

;)

;)

;)

jaclaz

#12 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:43 PM

Ok, so I will lay aside any 'other' (false prophet) USB keys I may have and we'll use the one thats NTFS with WinSetupFromUSB and WinXPSP2.

At the very least we've confirmed that its not the image as they all fail at the same point (or that they're all dodgy which we'll rule out unless we get REAL desparate!)

So then *brandishes USB key triumphantly* where do we begin?

*Looks keen*

*Revo looks nervous in the corner*

P.S. In keeping with the Yoda quotes I have now renamed the USB volume label from LASTHOPE (see how upset I was!) to NEWHOPE

#13 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 30 October 2009 - 05:52 PM

I'd also try wiping out the partitions on the internal hard disk and repartition it in advance.
Get pmagic-grub4dos-4.5.iso.zip :

http://partedmagic.com/download.html

Unzip the file, run WinSetupFromUSB, check parted magic/other ISO option, point it to the location of the ISO file you just extracted, no other options needed, press GO.

Run it on the laptop, start PartedMagic from the USB key, run the partition tool GParted, delete all partitions on the internal disk, assuming there is no valuable data on them, or back up data elsewhere in advance.
Create new partitions as per your needs. Make them primary at least the first one, set the first one active. Apply changes and reboot.

Try again to start Windows setup (manually select First part if needed). Does it restart again? What exactly do you see right before it reboots? Try to be specific, it does make difference.

#14 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:02 PM

Thanks, that was actually one of the things I was going to try but I couldn't for the life of me find an application to run the partition software from USB (crappy Google search terms I expect) :confused1:

Try to be specific, it does make difference

I'm trying to be but those file names flash up at a rate of knots! And then it goes black due to the restart. I'm pretty sure that its loading FAT then FAT32 environment.

#15 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:48 PM

P.S. In keeping with the Yoda quotes I have now renamed the USB volume label from LASTHOPE (see how upset I was!) to NEWHOPE

Naaahh, you have ELEVEN characters available:

HOPE_MAY_BE

appears more appropriate :confused1:

jaclaz

#16 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:52 PM

Ok, I downloaded the tool and added it to the USB device and booted into it.

I have a Parted Magic GUI but there is no GParted in the menu.
The only options that seem to be partition related are TestDisk, Partition Image, Clonezilla but don't seem to be able to delete partitions.

Where have i gone wrong?

Edit: Ignore me, being a dunce!

#17 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:11 PM

Ok, so deleted all partitions and created a primary one for Windows of around 30GB. I couldn't see an option to mark it active.

Rebooted and tried part 1 again and it did exactly the same as it had been, gets as far as Loading FAT File system and then restarts.

#18 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:30 PM

Try pressing "c" at the grub4dos menu choices.

Read these:
http://diddy.boot-la...iles/basics.htm
http://diddy.boot-la...s/files/cli.htm

Try running commands:
geometry &#40;hd0&#41;
[ENTER]

geometry &#40;hd1&#41;
[ENTER]

Post what grub4dos replies, you should be able to understand which drive is the USB stick and which one is the ReVo one.

Then issue the command:
makeactive &#40;hd0,0&#41;
[ENTER]
or
makeactive &#40;hd1,0&#41;
[ENTER]

jaclaz

#19 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:35 PM

Lets try something as well.

Open Start-->Run and copy-paste there:

dir /b /s P&#58; > %temp%\AttachMe.txt && type P&#58;\txtsetup.sif >> %temp%\AttachMe.txt && makecab %temp%\AttachMe.txt c&#58;\AttachMe.cab

Change P: with the dive letter of your USB stick.
Attach to your next post c:\AttachMe.cab.

#20 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:48 PM

Ok, identified the drive and set it to active. No joy.

@ilko - what do you mean copy/paste on the machine I have running now or on the Revo? Obviously I can't copy/paste on the Revo as it has no OS installed

#21 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 30 October 2009 - 07:50 PM

On the machine you are now :cheers: - this will get contents of your USB stick and save them to a text file, then will add contents of your txtsetup.sif to it as well.

#22 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:00 PM

When I try and run that (as admin) I get 'cannot find 'run' error

#23 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:03 PM

Is this Vista/7? Click on Windows button and type cmd in there and hit enter button.
In the new black window paste the command I posted.

#24 ilko

ilko

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 500 posts
  •  
    Bulgaria

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:21 PM

Reading the similar topic:
http://www.msfn.org/...ui-t138614.html

Make sure in BIOS-->Integrated Peripherals-->USB Storage emulation is set to HDD set to HDD, make sure RevoBoot is disabled and set AHCI to IDE emulation, or whatever the option is called in BIOS.

#25 norty303

norty303

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:50 PM

Here's the file. I had to change the file extension to RAR as it wouldn't upload it with a cab extension, just rename it obviously.

Yep, all of the settings have been double and triple checked over the last few days.

I've just had another look and its actually getting to loading NTFS file system when it restarts

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users