10 replies to this topic

#1 frostee

frostee
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:59 AM

Right so the other day I thought I knew how to get VistaPE working then today I realised I dont know. I am in the process of trying to build my computer knowledge and WinPE/VistaPE looks like a good way for me to see how Windows works. I have downloaded WinBuilder and all the scripts with it. A few things:
Still not sure about the WAIK to download to create VistaPE.
How do I create VistaPE from WinPE? This was a bit more complex than I first realised
How do I use the created VistaPE? I want to put it on a portable hard drive I have (actually 2.5inch HDD in an enclosure) how would I do this? How big should the partition be?

I read all this 32bit and 64bit stuff with VistaPE. To put it simply my current machine is Vista x64, do i need to create it on a 32bit machine?

EDIT: How did this end up here it should of been in VistaPE...

#2 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:55 PM

Hi frostee :confused1:

Welcome in our forum!

To ask for help, this is not the right place.
Your help request should be posted in a technical forum. Maybe VistaPE (I cannot decide your needs, because I'm not a Vista friend expert)

Peter

#3 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10557 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:28 PM

Like Peter (and yourself) mentioned, this is the "Hello world" section, so, welcome aboard!

:confused1:

#4 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:33 PM

Actually ;):

Like Peter (and yourself) mentioned, this is was the "Hello world" section, so, welcome aboard!

Just moved it to "VistaPE" ;).

Welcome nonetheless. :unsure:

:confused1:

jaclaz

#5 frostee

frostee
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:51 AM

Funny when I registered I did so by trying to create a new topic in the VistaPE section... oh well it was intended to go here
Any help guys?

#6 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:34 PM

Still not sure about the WAIK to download to create VistaPE.

Well, you need one, and the 1.1 version is the recommended one. Any other questions?

How do I create VistaPE from WinPE? This was a bit more complex than I first realised

First time, follow the instructions on the first page (the one you see when you click on "VistPE-CAPI v.12" in the left of the WinBuilder window. Later you can get fancier.

How do I use the created VistaPE? I want to put it on a portable hard drive I have (actually 2.5inch HDD in an enclosure) how would I do this? How big should the partition be?

I'm no expert on putting it on a 2.5" HDD. After you build, you can put it on a flash drive by highlighting the "Create ISO/CD/USB" script (under "Finalize"), filling in the drive letter and clicking on the "Make USB Boot device" button. Once you've done that you can update with the "Copy files" button. That might work for an HDD with a single partition. Multiple partitions are more complex.

Many VistaPE builds will fit in 512 MB, almost all will fit in 1 GB.

I read all this 32bit and 64bit stuff with VistaPE. To put it simply my current machine is Vista x64, do i need to create it on a 32bit machine?

You can build on a 32 or 64 bit host OS. If you use a Vista DVD as a source for VistaPE, that DVD must be 32 bit.

#7 frostee

frostee
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:16 AM

Great thank you!
My HDD is partitioned with a 2gb partition(for VistaPE) and one for uhhh everything else. The WAIK download confused me, this one http://www.microsoft...playLang=en#top or this one http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

I have downloaded all the scripts and stuff from the downloads tab in WinBuilder, once you let me know which WAIK ill proceed. Looking forward to it, my 2.5 HDD arrived today :confused1:

#8 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:04 PM

The second one, http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en.

#9 frostee

frostee
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:00 PM

Okay I have spent the night following some guides (vary vastly) tried creating VistaPE to come out with over 2000 errors haha
Whats a good guide?

#10 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:53 PM

Okay I have spent the night following some guides (vary vastly) tried creating VistaPE to come out with over 2000 errors haha
Whats a good guide?

I really don't think there is one. Run your build, click the "Save log..." button, ZIP up log.html from the same directory as WinBuilder.exe, and post it here.

#11 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1730 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:15 PM

Information about the original VistaPE project can be found here:

http://www.vistape.net/

Much of the information is relevant to the latest VistaPE common api project.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users