#1 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:19 PM

For some reason my USB installation will not detect my sata HDD.. I have prepped my XP install with DriverPacks BASE 8.05 / Chipset 8.03 / LAN 8.05.3 / MassStorage 8.05. When it boots it does see the USB drive but not the HDD.. I also used nlite to slipstream SP3 into my SP2 xp disk.. Is there anything that i missed??

EDIT: I just read this

Supports the use of BTS DriverPacks located in OEM Folder on USB-Drive
http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/
For Install of XP on a modern system with SATA Drives it is needed to use DPsBase.exe
for Integrating in your XPSOURCE BTS DriverPack Massstorage with TXT Mode Enabled.

Does the Driver packs need to be extracted to the OEM folder? Also the OEM folder i see is location "L:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\$OEM$\$1\Drivers" Where L is my flash drive..

#2 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:12 AM

For some reason my USB installation will not detect my sata HDD.. I have prepped my XP install with DriverPacks BASE 8.05 / Chipset 8.03 / LAN 8.05.3 / MassStorage 8.05. When it boots it does see the USB drive but not the HDD.. I also used nlite to slipstream SP3 into my SP2 xp disk.. Is there anything that i missed??

Does the Driver packs need to be extracted to the OEM folder? Also the OEM folder i see is location "L:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\$OEM$\$1\Drivers" Where L is my flash drive..

The OEM folder must be located in the root of your USB-stick.

You have got to use nLite before and NOT AFTER using DPsBase.exe
Probably nLite has moved the OEM folder to Drivers folder

USB_MultiBoot_10.cmd copies OEM folder from XP Source to Root of USB-stick.

#3 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:21 PM

I just found the SATA driver for my unit.. The instructions say i need to install it using the F6 menu on boot... But i am going to try and slipstream the driver into my build..

#4 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:12 AM

well i was able to slipstream the driver into my build.. works great... I noticed the "install" &"Progs" folder what are these for???

#5 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:57 AM

well i was able to slipstream the driver into my build.. works great... I noticed the "install" &"Progs" folder what are these for???

INSTALL_PRGS is meant for Programs which cannot be installed with WPI via INSTALL_PRGS_WPI
INSTALL_DRIVERS is meant for Post XP Setup Install of Drivers from DriverPacks

For WPI config.js script is provided in usb_cfg_extra\INSTALL_PRGS_WPI\WPIScripts

You can use them or remove them the way you like :whistling:

#6 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 August 2008 - 04:39 PM

Well i havent got any of the "install" progs working yet.. I was having problems using the dos based menu then i noticed i couldnt since i was using NTFS.. I then re-formated my drive into FAT32 and man is it slow installing XP.. Is there anyway to get the dos apps in ntfs?

#7 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 20 August 2008 - 03:53 PM

Is there anyway to get the dos apps in ntfs?

Yes, use DOS Boot Floppy Images of 2880 kB made with WinImage to Inject App Files and booting via boot.ini Menu from GRUB4DOS menu.lst

More Info on this in my Guide http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=20089
and in folder usb_cfg_extra of USB_MultiBoot_10

#8 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:22 PM

Is it possible to run the xp install from a multi partitioned disk??

I had the install on a drive with 1 partition and everything worked great..

I had the install on the 3rd partition and got the BSOD 0x0000007B error

I know have the install on the 1st partition of a the drive and getting BSOD 0x0000000D1

any thoughts? I believe i read somewhere if i was going to use a multipartitioned drive that the install needs to be on the first partition

#9 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 August 2008 - 05:36 PM

Is it possible to run the xp install from a multi partitioned disk??

Yes, you can but it requires to select a proper boot.ini file using Option B
Or change boot.ini to your needs just before using the USB-stick for Install of XP.

For Install on second partition you can use Part2_boot.ini from b_ini folder.

More Info in Help_USB_MultiBoot.txt file Section C

#10 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:26 PM

This kinda confuses me...

I get those errors on option 1 "C:\btsec\XPSTP.bs="

Does the boot sector look at the HDD in option 2/3 during the initial boot phase when i am partitioning the drive?

#11 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:48 PM

This kinda confuses me...

I get those errors on option 1 "C:\btsec\XPSTP.bs="

Does the boot sector look at the HDD in option 2/3 during the initial boot phase when i am partitioning the drive?

It is possible to install on e.g. second partition,
but you are right the errors that you get must have another origin.

From file Help_USB_MultiBoot.txt - Section A-7

7. BSOD 0x0000007B during text mode of Setup.
On some motherboards USB booting is tricky, common example are many Dell systems.

You may try the modified ntdetect.com as mentioned here Or use File Hex_NTDETECT_COM.txt
http://www.msfn.org/...-...0.html&st=3
Copy and paste all in Tiny Hexer (freeware), select HEX TEXT,
save as ntdetect.com and put it in USB stick root, filesize must become 47,596 bytes.

Enabling AHCI in a system BIOS will cause a 0x7B Blue Screen of Death STOP error (INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE)
on installations of Windows XP where AHCI/RAID drivers for that system's chipset are not installed.
AHCI enables hot-plugging of SATA drives and requires for XP special drivers. Vista is AHCI compatible.
http://en.wikipedia....oller_Interface
Solution: Before Install Change your SATA BIOS Setting from AHCI into IDE Controller or Compatibility

For Install of XP on a modern system with SATA Drives
it is needed to use DPsBase.exe http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/
for Integrating in your XPSOURCE BTS DriverPack Massstorage with TXT Mode Enabled.
In that case a lot of Extra RAID SCSI and SATA Drivers (about 120 extra) are Integrated which appear in the
$WIN_NT$.~BT XP BootFolder and can prevent a lot of XP Install Boot Problems

If you repartition the drive you have to reboot before selecting Install partition and go TWICE through first part of TXT-mode of Setup in order to get correct drive letters.

Usually you only Select partition for Install and do a Quick Format and continue with copy of files.

#12 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 August 2008 - 06:49 PM

I tried the alternate NTDETECT.COM from here

I also have verified i installed the correct AHCI driver for my unit.. (I was able to install XP from a thumb drive with only 1 partition)

I'm still confused on the BOOT.ini settings..

My current setup is

Partition1 = XP textmode installer
Partition2 = DOS
Partition3 = PE2.0
Partition4 = Trinity rescue kit (linux disk)

Partition 2-4 work flawlessly... I just keep getting the BSOD on the XP text mode install

EDIT: you posted as i was posting.. I have also changed the AHCI setting in the BIOS to IDE mode instead of AHCI mode

#13 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:24 PM

I tried the alternate NTDETECT.COM from here

I was also getting this error as soon as the "setup is loading windows appears" I have now got past that and when i press enter to install XP i get the next error 0x000000D1 error ( right under this it says ntfs.sys with some errors next to it. )

I got this error with the original boot.ini (XP_Setup_boot.ini)

I am now trying with the (Part2_boot.ini)

#14 ktp

ktp

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 773 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 04:49 AM

Partition4 = Trinity rescue kit (linux disk)

Thank you for mentioning this, I discover and add it to my multi-bootable tools.
For your information, if you do not want to waste a partition, you can just copy the trk3 directory and the 2 files kernel.trk, initrd.trk
from the iso to the root of one existing partition (fat/fat32), The use the following code in your menu.lst:

title Trinity Rescue Kit 3.3 build 318

find	--set-root /trk3/initrd.trk

kernel  /trk3/kernel.trk ramdisk_size=49152 root=/dev/ram0 vga=788 splash=verbose pci=conf1 

initrd  /trk3/initrd.trk

After got the command line, you can change the keyboard layout by running a built-in script (command) as indicated in:
http://trinityhome.o...nt_id=12&wpid=7

For example to change to French keyboard, just type 'fr'.

You can also add other entries by translating them from the isolinux.cfg from the iso.

#15 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:52 PM

I don't think i can add mine like u have..I am not using GRub as my bootloader i am using spfdisk.. Unless i can launch it from dos then i could add it my dos menu?

#16 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 August 2008 - 05:23 PM

so does any one have any other ideas?

#17 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:17 PM

so does any one have any other ideas?

Wait a minute, maybe I am starting to understand why it does not work for you. :whistling:

The general idea of the entire batch is to start from a newly formatted USB stick or HD, managed by "default" NTLDR+BOOT.INI and grub4dos.

You should first thing try if on your particular board+USB device, the USB_Multiboot batches work, and only after it has proved to work, try introducing variations, like spfdisk or whatever.

jaclaz

#18 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:55 PM

Please note in one of my last messages... post #31

(I was able to install XP from a thumb drive with only 1 partition)

I was able to use the batch files and everything works normal..

I will try to have Grub4Dos as the boot loader in the MBR but i don't think that is the problem since it does boot, It boots and loads all the way until the screen before it asks what HDD / Partition do i want to load Windows onto. this is where i get the BSOD 0x0000007B error. I have tried the new ntdetect.com. This did not fix it.. I also know i have the right AHCI driver as i had to slipstream that since the singal partition version did not see my HDD, until i loaded that driver.

#19 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 August 2008 - 07:18 PM

I might have been not clear enough:
1) Fdisk/partition/format your drive so that you have just one primary partition and rest of space unallocated
2) run the USB_multiboot batches (without re-formatting)
3) after you have tested the XP install routine works, DO NOT TOUCH the first working partition, the MBR code, the bootsector
4) simply use your preferred partition tool to add, one by one, the other partitions, installing to them whatever you want and adding booting entries for them into the menu.lst on first partition

Remember that unless you want/need for any reason this first partition NTFS, you can have it FAT32 and well add to it the PE, DOS (7.x/8.0) and trinityhome.

Otherwise, I suggest you to use DOS from a disk image loaded via grub4dos, instead of swapping partitions, the PE can well be added to first partition as well even if NTFS, and since trinity appears to be working entirely from RAM, it may even work on NTFS :whistling:.

jaclaz

#20 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:57 PM

I will try this tonight.. I think i see what you are saying..

#21 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 August 2008 - 05:32 PM

For some reason i keep getting NTLDR not found.. I fdisked the MBR and then re-ran the scripts. NTDR is on the drive??? im not sure why this is happening..

I suggest you to use DOS from a disk image loaded via grub4dos

Also i need a separate DOS partition as i use about 100MB for BIOS updates and test tools. I would rather not go back and change all my batch files to single images..

#22 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:15 AM

Ok I think i screwed something up when i used the spfdisk to load the mbr bootloader.. I formated the drive using the HP format utility.. I then made it a bootable DOS partition.. This boots normal.. I then ran the script to load the xp text installer.. I can get to the press enter to load xp screen (before the HDD / Partition selection) it then gives me the error of

BSOD 0x0000000D1 with a ntfs.sys error.

I'm not why this is because the drives i am using worked normal. before using the spfdisk when i had only one partition using NTLDR and BOOT.ini..

I'm not sure if this was the right thing to do, but i tried using mkbt to load the f16ntldr.bin to the mbr and it was saying it has a different files system type. So this did not load right.. Can i use mkbt with a good mbr to get this to work again?

I also was able to get another flash drive to work normal (this one has never been touched by spfdisk) using just the scripts.. So this kinda tells me the mbr maybe messed up on the other 2 drives.. However in windows the 2 drives appear to work normal as well as booting into DOS and not to the text mode install..

#23 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 August 2008 - 08:47 AM

No problem, there should be not any "permanent" damage.

Simply zero out the first, say 100 sectors of the stick, using either a hex editor or dsfo+fsz from the DSFOK toolkit and re-format with the HP USB utility:

http://www.boot-land...opic=4015&st=21

:whistling:

jaclaz

#24 Myk3

Myk3

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 108 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:21 PM

Do i need to format it using FAT32 or NTFS?

#25 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:38 PM

Do i need to format it using FAT32 or NTFS?

I suggest the "usual" order, see FAQ#10:
http://home.graffiti...SB/USBfaqs.html
FAT16 CHS
FAT16 LBA
FAT32 CHS
FAT32 LBA
(depending on size of the stick FAT16 may not be an option, please note that the limit for FAT16 of 2Gb can be "stretched" to 4Gb using 64Kb clusters, but this is NOT recommended, as not fully compatible with every OS/utility and highly unefficient)

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS try first if it works in normal DOS (exception made for the NTFS formatting of course :whistling:) and only later try the NTLDR bootsector.

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users