X64 issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:13 PM

In the ImDisk forum there exists already a topic about x64.

I'm creating this one, because the x64 issue is independent from ImDisk.

It also affects vdk (as Virtual Disk alternity) and IMO FreeWare RAMDisk drivers.

Starting with Vista, Billy the Door does not allow an unsigned kernel mode driver to work.

To get the certification, the driver's developer has either to buy the certificate at M$ (several 100 $ per year) or buy a certificate at a M$ accepted certification issuer (unknown costs, but surely a lot of administration work to get).

In the above mentioned ImDisk topic Olof already explaines unmisunderstandable, that he is not willing to pay something for freeware he is developing.

For the vdk issue: I changed (in contact with the original author Ken Kato) a couple of things for WinBuilder. So logically, I'm currently the developer of vdk_wb. And I'm also not willing to pay anything to get the certification.

As a result: It looks like that some WinBuilder scripts using Imdisk or vdk_wb, will never run on Vista or Win7 x64.
'Some' maybe usually neglectable, but here one of the 'some' is e.g. BootSDI.Script, which is very essential.

My dream is that some genious hackers find a way that the user can bypass the 'certified' check. But that may be not very legal ...

Peter

#2 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:06 AM

You just switch into test mode. drivers signed with test certificates will then load.vdk 64 then runs on win7 x64.I use this tool:

http://www.ngohq.com...e.php?page=dseo

Other option is to run winbuilder in a x86 virtual machine.

#3 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4199 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:04 PM

They should offer Free Certification for Freeware.

#4 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

That defeats the purpose of stopping virus writers signing their viruses.There is a cost involved in doing the background checks to ensure that the certificate is being granted to a legitimate developer of software.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users