#1 htm775

htm775

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:16 AM

Hi,

I am attempting to build VistaPE recommended and getting the following script error "AddVariables - File [%API%] was not found!" I am using VistaPE CAPI v.12 (RC1b common API). The Winbuild is (075 beta 5j). I just downloaded it. I was able to make a minimal VistaPE but get this error when attempting to make a recommended build. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

htm775

#2 patsch

patsch

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 785 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 15 September 2009 - 05:56 AM

the newest version for winbuilder is 078 SP1.
what source did you use?
do you have WAIK installed?
please post also the full log here

#3 htm775

htm775

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:22 AM

the newest version for winbuilder is 078 SP1.
what source did you use?
do you have WAIK installed?
please post also the full log here

patsch,
Thanks for the fast reply. I downloaded WinBuilder from:

"www.vistape.net"

and clicked on:
"The latest stable version is 12 RC1 (21.10.2008)— you can download it directly from WinBuilder."

Yes I have WAIK installed.
Will post complete log as soon as WinBuilder is free again. I am trying the full install and it is still downloading at this time.

htm775

#4 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:17 AM

You need 077 RC2 or later. The VistaPE website is way out of date. Get WinBuilder from http://winbuilder.ne...load.php?list.3.

#5 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:20 AM

You should download winbuilder 78 sp1 from:

http://winbuilder.ne...load.php?list.3

you should download vistape via winbuilder from http://vistape.winbuilder.net/

#6 htm775

htm775

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 September 2009 - 04:50 PM

Hi,

Thanks all. I updated to 78 Sp1 and downloaded from http://vistape.winbuilder.net but I am now getting another script error. The log is too big to attach.

The error is:

IniRead - Failed to find file: [%BaseDir%\Projects\VistaPE-CAPI\Addons\dll.script]

#7 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:11 PM

Hi,

Thanks all. I updated to 78 Sp1 and downloaded from http://vistape.winbuilder.net but I am now getting another script error. The log is too big to attach.

The error is:

IniRead - Failed to find file: [%BaseDir%\Projects\VistaPE-CAPI\Addons\dll.script]

If you ZIP or 7Z the log, you can attach it.

http://vistape.winbuilder.net, click Common DLL under VistaPE-CAPI/Addon. Put it in your Addons subdirectory.

I gotta change the download level of that script.

#8 htm775

htm775

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:14 AM

Thanks for all the help. I put the Common Dll script in addons then tried to build again. I got another script error so I went to tools and turned off the option to halt on errors. I then let the build run. It ran to completion and created the iso file. It booted and seems to work ok. If I have time I will run it again with halt on errors and upload the log.

#9 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:25 PM

You can just save and post the log with halt on errors off. But it helps if you go to Tools | Options and check "Debug log".

#10 htm775

htm775

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:15 PM

On my latest build attempt I ran into errors with the driveImageXML.script, autoCompress.script and the autoUPX.script. I have attached the log from the build so hopefully someone can help me fix the errors. I looked at the driveImageXML.script file and it looks like it will only build for XP not Vista. In the script it calls for files in the i386 directory which does not exist on the Vista CD. Is there another driveImageXML script for a Vista build?

Attached Files

#11 htm775

htm775

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:24 PM

After doing some looking arround on the boot-land forum I have found that there is more that one driveImageXML.script. It looks like the script from http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5028 will work in VistaPE. I will give it a try and see what happens.

#12 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:30 PM

Be aware that you cannot back up an NTFS partition with DriveImage XML under VistaPE. Vista uses "Transactional NTFS" whichh keeps a file open on each NTFS volume. Therefore no NTFS volume can be locked. A backup using VSS would be possible (which is what DriveImageXML does when running under full-bore Vista) ... but AFAIK nobody has gotten VSS working in VistaPE or Win7PE.

For the same reason, you can't restore to an NTFS volume under VistaPE. But you can delete the partition and create a new blank partition and restore to that.

Autocompress and AutoUPX are not intended for VistaPE. My guess is that they would take some work to make them Vista compatible.

#13 htm775

htm775

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:17 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply. Hopefully someone will get VSS working in VistaPE/Win7PE eventually.

I will try to modify autocompress and autoUPX and see if I can get them to run.

Thanks for all the help so far.

#14 Immortal

Immortal

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:33 PM

Be aware that you cannot back up an NTFS partition with DriveImage XML under VistaPE. Vista uses "Transactional NTFS" whichh keeps a file open on each NTFS volume. Therefore no NTFS volume can be locked. A backup using VSS would be possible (which is what DriveImageXML does when running under full-bore Vista) ... but AFAIK nobody has gotten VSS working in VistaPE or Win7PE.

For the same reason, you can't restore to an NTFS volume under VistaPE. But you can delete the partition and create a new blank partition and restore to that.

Autocompress and AutoUPX are not intended for VistaPE. My guess is that they would take some work to make them Vista compatible.

Small ot:
@JonF (or perhaps "Icecube"?)

The issues above:
Does they apply to Clonezilla too that is included in Parted Magic?
Or is it "safe" to clone a Vista partition with Clonezilla and get it back safely?

#15 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:56 PM

There seems to be a bug in DriveImageXML.script:
See the double backslashes:

ExtractAllFiles - [%BaseDir%\Projects\VistaPE-CAPI\Addons\DriveImageXML.script] Section [Folder] to: [%BaseDir%\Target\VistaPE-CAPI\\dixml]

Other failures can be 'follow ups'

Peter

#16 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:27 PM

Does they apply to Clonezilla too that is included in Parted Magic?
Or is it "safe" to clone a Vista partition with Clonezilla and get it back safely?

It's probably safe to clone a partition with Clonezilla, since it either won't have a file open on the partition (so it has full control) or it will have some way of handling it built-in. I haven't tried it at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users