Photo
- - - - -

Problems with WinBuilder 074 build (This isn't so simple)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan Hiatt

Jonathan Hiatt
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:12 PM

Followed the instructions EXACTLY. 20 scripts processed. NUMEROUS errors such as FileCopy-Failed to copy [%BaseDir%\Temp\VistaPE\BootWimSrc\Windows\System32\poqexec.exe], LOTS of errors and they all involved BootWimSrc. 579 errors total. 2 warning messages saying "You need not make index for drivers" and "You cannot use standard boot manager with NORMAL build model. Please use IN RAM build model or standard boot manager." Extended Configuration, 0-PreConfig, 1-Copy Files turned out OK. Failed to copy [%BaseDir%\Temp\VistaPE\BootWimSrc\Windows\System32\drivers\MsftWdf_Kernel_01005_Inbox_Critical.Wdf] to [%BaseDir%\Target\VistaPE\Windows\System32\drivers\MsftWdf_Kernel_01005_Inbox_Critic. And so on.

ANY help much appreciated.

JLH

#2 patsch

patsch

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 785 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:37 PM

why don't you use WinBuilder 078 SP1 ?
What source did you use?
Do you have WAIK installed?
Please also post the whole log-file (debug-mode and zipped)

#3 Jonathan Hiatt

Jonathan Hiatt
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:24 PM

The source was my Gateway Windows Vista SP1 DVD. The instructions (approx. 12 pages) said you can use either WAIK or the Windows Vista DVD. I didn't think you could use both, just one or the other. I didn't use WinBuilder 078 SP1 because the instructions I downloaded are for WinBuilder 074, although I'm sure the process is pretty much the same. I do not have WAIK installed.

Should I try using WAIK instead? I was once going to create UBCD4WIN (Ultimate Boot CD for Windows) and using WAIK was an option, I think. WAIK seems a little complex and I am an intermediate to advanced PC user.

How do I go about posting the ENTIRE log file because it is quite long. Simply copying and pasting the text makes the post too long and I was unsuccessful in uploading the file contained in C:\WinBuilder074.

Thanks!
JLH

#4 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:42 PM

You must use the WAIK for some functions that are only in it. You can use the WAIK alone (in which case some scripts will refuse to run) or the WAIK plus a DVD. Sometimes OEM DVDs don't work really well.

You should use 078 SP1 from http://winbuilder.ne...load.php?list.3. The most up-to-date and supported VistaPE is available on the download tab. Click the green circular arrow at the bottom right to update the server list. Click vistape.winbuilder.net to put a check mark by it. Download VistaPE_CAPI.

There are links to the WAIK on the first page of VistaPE-CAPI. You must fill in the path to the WAIK in the Base\PreConfig script. You must select the source on the Source tab; either the WAIK again, or your DVD. It works best if you first copy the DVD to your hard disk and select that; there's a LOT of DVD accesses.

#5 patsch

patsch

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 785 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 14 September 2009 - 08:46 PM

How do I go about posting the ENTIRE log file because it is quite long. Simply copying and pasting the text makes the post too long and I was unsuccessful in uploading the file contained in C:\WinBuilder074.

in winbuilder go to tools (upper right hand corner) and in the options tab check all that belongs to the log options. Then you can zip the html-log-file and upload it here

#6 Jonathan Hiatt

Jonathan Hiatt
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:17 PM

in winbuilder go to tools (upper right hand corner) and in the options tab check all that belongs to the log options. Then you can zip the html-log-file and upload it here

The following compressed file has been uploaded:
C:\WinBuilder074\Installation\log.zip

JLH

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.zip   78.26KB   263 downloads

#7 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:17 AM

A significant portion of your problem seems to be that you are using VistaPE 11 and your source DVD is at a service pack level that is higher than VistaPE 11 knows about.

VistaPE 11 is no longer being developed. Max Real QNX is developing VistaPE Leopard, based on VistaPE 11, but that is still pretty experimental. Your best bet is Vista PE 12 CAPI as I detailed above. You may still run into problems because you are using an OEM DVD.

You should wait until 9 AM Eastern time tomorrow morning to download VistaPE-CAPI. I'll upload a couple of updated scripts that you will need, sometime before that.

#8 Jonathan Hiatt

Jonathan Hiatt
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:29 PM

Since I am using an OEM Vista DVD (SP1), what is my best option, then, to avoid all those errors I had with WinBuilder074? Would WinBuilder078 work as suggested by another member? I hate creating all these folders at the root of the C:\ drive and then having to download all the scripts only to find that the installation didn't work.

Please advise.

Jonathan Hiatt

#9 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

What will or will not work cannot be guaranteed since we can't inspect and test your system. As before, your best shot at working is to download 078 SP1 and use it to download VistaPE CAPI and try that and see what happens. It is possible you just can't build from your OEM DVD, but nobody will know until you try it.

There is no need to create folders in the root of C, you can put WinBuilder and its files pretty much anywhere except do NOT put it in My Documents or any subdirectory of My Documents or any subdirectory af any of the user profile folders. Many of us build in exotic and faraway locations such as F:\WinBuilder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users