21 replies to this topic

#1 Demontager

Demontager

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:47 AM

How can I install 3 different systems to USB drive to separate folders? I mean I want create folders, for example Win7, WinXPSP3, Ubuntu9.04 on drive and then put systems there. By default, WinSetupfromUSB put all systems to root folder on USB drive, though distros' folders become mixed. So as understand I need edit menu.lst to do that. Could somebody post an example how it should looks like, but of course with above given conditions?

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7,098 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:15 AM

You must understand that there are limitations in the way the booting mechanism of the various OS were designed for.

Compare with this:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5769

By "XPSP3" do you mean a "full" XP running from USB or a XP "install"? :)

For 7 you can use .iso mapping allright, as well as with UBUNTU:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=8944
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5041

If XPSP3 is an "install", there is a pretty newish way:
http://www.msfn.org/...p?showforum=157
http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=137714

The .iso mapping is the one that allows for the less clutter on a USB device.

jaclaz

#3 Demontager

Demontager

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:48 PM

Yes, I need WinXP with install oportunity, not run from USB.
So what I did:
1. Run WinSetupFromUSB, chosen .iso with Win7, and it copied it to USB, then I have created folder Win7 on USB drive and put there all files which were created by WinSfUSB , but remain only menu.lst file

2. Same procedure with WinXP.iso, then created folder WINXPSP3, cut copied WinXP's files and paste to WINXPSP3 folder.

3.Same with Ubuntu9.04.iso, then created Ubuntu9.04 folder, cut copied Ubuntu files and pasted it to Ubuntu9.04 folder.
And menu.lst generated by these procedures is:
title Start Vista Setup/PE/Recovery from partition 0

root (hd0,0)

chainloader /bootmgr

title Windows XP/2000/2003 Setup- First and Second parts

root (hd0,0)

configfile /winsetup.lst

savedefault
But it should be edited according to new paths, and it not included Ubuntu loader.

#4 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7,098 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:57 PM

But it should be edited according to new paths, and it not included Ubuntu loader.

I'll try again. :)

You CANNOT move files where you want (arbitrary paths/folder structures), there are limitations.

Read the given links, please.

Take your time, come back when you have a clearer idea of what you can do and what you simply CANNOT do (as it won't work).

I guess that you might find of interest the "common sense advice" attached to Rules:
http://www.boot-land...?act=boardrules
particularly chapter #f. and points #f1. and #f2.

:)

jaclaz

#5 Demontager

Demontager

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 13 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

I made fast look around your given links, and found that I can use direct loading from .iso by grub4dos, think it will be more suitable for me. But anyway I'll do more through searching and reading and after I'll post what I got. Sorry, my job is it at sea, not too much time for seating near PC.
title LiveXP - mem

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /!images/iso/LiveXP_RAM.iso

map --mem /!images/iso/LiveXP_RAM.iso (hd32)

map --hook

chainloader (hd32)a

boot
And one important, but off top question, how can I test boot from USB drive in VirtualBox or VMware?
Just I want to experiment with USB drive and better, of course, use loading from it inside a machine then(my system is Ubuntu9.04, VirtualBox 3.0). Or is it not possible?

#6 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1,125 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 13 September 2009 - 11:55 PM

I made fast look around your given links, and found that I can use direct loading from .iso by grub4dos, think it will be more suitable for me. But anyway I'll do more through searching and reading and after I'll post what I got. Sorry, my job is it at sea, not too much time for seating near PC.

title LiveXP - mem

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /!images/iso/LiveXP_RAM.iso

map --mem /!images/iso/LiveXP_RAM.iso (hd32)

map --hook

chainloader (hd32)a

boot
And one important, but off top question, how can I test boot from USB drive in VirtualBox or VMware?
Just I want to experiment with USB drive and better, of course, use loading from it inside a machine then(my system is Ubuntu9.04, VirtualBox 3.0). Or is it not possible?

u do not need "boot " at the end of above entry unless u r at commandline , p.s there should not be any a besides (hd32) in second last line .
check this for usb ,
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=8581

otherwise i guess qemu can also be used on ubuntu .

#7 Demontager

Demontager

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:47 AM

I have tested, installation from .isos files, and only one success with Ubuntu, it was fully installed on hard disk without any problems. And Win7.iso and XP.iso I was able to boot only and actually when setup process should started get these errors:
Win7
"A required CD/DVD drive device is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD,DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

XP
Blue screen, and well known info:
"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer and so on....."
And a menu.lst content
title XP 

find --set-root /XP.iso

map /XP.iso (hd32)

map --hook

root (hd32)

chainloader (hd32)

title Win7 

map /Win7.iso (hd32)

map --hook

chainloader (hd32)

title Ubuntu9.04amd64

find --set-root /Ubuntu.iso

map /Ubuntu.iso (0xff)

map --hook

root (0xff)

kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/Ubuntu.iso quiet splash --

initrd /casper/initrd.gz
Think for Win7 and XP need additional tweaks, please point me how to do that. At least glad that I can keep any amount of Linux variations on USB pen-drive

#8 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7,098 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:09 PM

"A required CD/DVD drive device is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD,DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

This is strange. :unsure:

XP
Blue screen, and well known info:
"A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer and so on....."

This is perfectly normal.

Sometimes it is difficult to communicate. :(

You CANNOT install a XP from a .iso "normally", you need this method/tools:
http://www.msfn.org/...ge-t137714.html

jaclaz

#9 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1,125 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:59 PM

for the error of w7 from iso ,

http://bbs.wuyou.com/viewthread.php?tid=148722&extra=page%3D1

i hope pictures can show you the little idea that how that guy took care of it .

another option is , extracting iso content at the root of your usb drive , and chainloading ( chainloader /bootmgr )

installing xp from iso is also possible with firadisk . bt it is not the right time for it . one issue at a time i guess.

#10 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7,098 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:30 PM

for the error of w7 from iso ,

http://bbs.wuyou.com/viewthread.php?tid=148722&extra=page%3D1

i hope pictures can show you the little idea that how that guy took care of it .

Thanks for this solution. :(

This is strange. :unsure:

At the light of the above, perfectly normal, au contraire. :(

Seemingly incorrect report by triiui here:
http://www.boot-land...?...=5041&st=26
corrected, with a link to here. :(

:(

jaclaz

#11 Demontager

Demontager

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:43 PM

For sure I know that "CD missing error" not occurs when XP installation files from BartPE method present, or if Win7 iso extracted to root folder. So if above mentioned files are not present need to apply this method:
Win7_Disk_error
But I'm not fully tested it yet
And regarding XP instalation, now it is work for me from an .iso with .IMA file
WinXP+RAM disk
but, can't get Plop working to speed up loading to ram, I get ~7 mins waiting
my post related to Plop issue
Plop

For me it is very difficult to test booting because my Linux Host VirtualBox can't boot from pen-drive, but Windows can, but one exception on Windows-it can't run 64bit systems(I have Win7_64bit.iso only)
and topic related to that:
VB_Boot_fromUSB_in_Linux

#12 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7,098 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:04 AM

For sure I know that "CD missing error" not occurs when XP installation files from BartPE method present

WHICH files?
I mean, ALL files, just NTLDR or SETUPLDR.BIN or NTDETECT.COM or /minint directory?
Do they need to be the "real" files, or (assuming, as an example, that NTDETECT.COM is the checked/needed file) a 0 byte file named NTDETECT.COM would do?
If all is needed is having one or a few "fake" files, it could be a handier workaround than the current one. :unsure:

We still have the unresolved mistery:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=9076

jaclaz

#13 Demontager

Demontager

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:19 AM

Need some time for testing, as mentioned, didn't test fully setup from Win7.iso, and found only if Win7 extracted to root, error doesn't appear so i supposed it will be same if WinXP copied by BartPE method . Of course, it could be a good way-out to put some small fake files instead of then loading imgdisk driver manually in command prompt.

#14 Demontager

Demontager

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:22 PM

Today I tried to test boot from USB Win7.iso file, and I stuck here:
I made all steps as described here
http://translate.goo...history_state0=
And seems it work, but when I reach setup screen, and point install on hard disk, receive error:
Posted Image
But when I try setup Win7 from normal CD-ROM to that hard drive it works normally and doesn't show any errors

#15 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1,125 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:50 PM

you mean setup took you to the stage where it lists available partitions ?

then error comes ? and was it when you tried to format ? did you try the advanced menu ?

screen shoot is not full so i have no idea .

#16 Demontager

Demontager

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:09 PM

Yes, i mean it stuck, on partition selection window
Posted Image
I tried format, delete, create multiple partitions, same error appears

#17 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1,125 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:21 PM

sorry no idea .

what about copying the iso contents as it is to the root of usb ,and chainloading bootmgr to see how it goes ?

#18 Demontager

Demontager

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:02 AM

I have extracted Win7.iso to root directory, edited menu.lst
title Start Vista Setup/PE/Recovery from partition 0

root (hd0,0)

chainloader /bootmgr
Then booted from USB drive and error here:
Posted Image

#19 Immortal

Immortal

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:32 PM

@Demontager

Have you tried to enable APIC in BIOS?

#20 Demontager

Demontager

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
    Ukraine

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:25 PM

Yes, enabled. My problem is in drive mapping, maybe because I have 2 hard drives in laptop. Loading USB2.0 support via Plop cause problem as well. ;)

#21 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1,125 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:30 PM

Yes, enabled. My problem is in drive mapping, maybe because I have 2 hard drives in laptop. Loading USB2.0 support via Plop cause problem as well. ;)

make an empty file at the root of flash drive with " 7.tag " .

now make sure you have extracted 7 iso contents as it is on the root of flash drive . check again if the usb root has Boot file with BCD file .

now boot from flash drive . once booted , issue the following command ,

find--set-root /7.tag ENTER
chainloader /bootmgr ENTER
boot ENTER

report back the result.

#22 gimpyviper

gimpyviper
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 03 November 2010 - 02:50 PM

While working on how to get Norton Bootable Recovery Tool to work via Grub, I sorta stumbled on what's been going on.

From what I can tell, Windows 7 doesn't see the virtual drive mappings made by Grub. I haven't specifically tested this under Vista (NBRT runs in a Win7 PE) but when you run NBRT you can bring up a command line and the virtual drive that maps to NBRT.iso is no where to be found. The physical CD drive maps to my UBCD4Win disc, C: drive is root and X: drive is the PE boot drive.

My guess is, somewhere between running BOOTMGR and when Windows UI environment initializes, Windows loads something that wipes out the drive mappings made by Grub.

I've tried all sorts of tricks to work around this to no avail.

In my searching I came across some type of manual page that allude to this "feature" of Windows but I can't find it again.

Right now my solution is to put a copy of the Sources\Symantec_NBRT directory on the root of my UBCD4Win.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users