#1 Jaccus

Jaccus
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:11 PM

Hello everyone,

I tried to boot my Windows7 RTM installer from iRiver T7 mp3 player so I proceeded according to this article.

Now my iRiver will not boot, mount on Windows or even run properly.

It keeps resetting, displaying the iriver splash screen over and over again, the only working button, reset button, does nothing more than reset it again. Without mounting my player I can t see a way how to fix it.

I d appreciate any help,

Jaccus

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:17 PM

I tried to boot my Windows7 RTM installer from iRiver T7 mp3 player so I proceeded according to this article.

Well, the iRiver T7 is NOT a USB stick (for which the blog you referenced to gives some partial and uncomplete/not exhaustive instructions/methods) it is a "complex" device that can be seen as "USB mass storage" device when connected to a running PC.

I am not familiar with it, but generally speaking MP3 players have some peculiarities that need (if ever successful) a far more sophisticated approach than what sketched in the referenced blog.

However, if I get it right, the problem currently is:

How to recover a iRiver T7 to pristine state?

:)

Check, double check and triple check the EXACT version of your player, you need a Recovery Tool from the manufacturer:
http://www.iriver.pl...oad_details.php
(the above is Polish site for version "MTP" whatever it means)
English is here:
http://www.iriver.co...o...aq&code=365
http://www.iriver.co...o...wn&code=736

:)

jaclaz

#3 Jaccus

Jaccus
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for your answer jaclaz, the problem however, is that I cannot mount my player to do any pristine state recovery.

I tried to mount it on both Windows and Linux, read iRiver tech manuals and tried their firmware update tools (which should be able to perform a recovery but this obviously requires mounting my player).

I assume the MBR became corrupted so the software cannot get to the mounting phase resetting every time an invalid MBR part is being executed.
I still wonder what was the real cause of my problem:
- reformatting it using NTFS (the previous file system was FAT32),
- executing 'mbrwiz /disk=X /active=1' (unfortunately, even this tool cannot see my usb player right now),
- executing 'bootsect /nt60 Y' (using Windows 7 RTM bootsect executable).

The problem seems for me to be unsolvable using software tools, maybe there is a way to erase the bootsector mechanically?

My T7 is still on iRiver warranty, is there a chance I could use it for such a defect? (right, that's not an iRiver forum so this could be a misplaced question).

#4 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:54 PM

I assume the MBR became corrupted so the software cannot get to the mounting phase resetting every time an invalid MBR part is being executed.

You have a wrong assumption, but it's allright as I too had one, there is disambiguation that needs to be cleared:
you are saying that you cannot mount the file system or (as I thought before) that the device is not anymore found in Device Manager when connected?

I still wonder what was the real cause of my problem:
- reformatting it using NTFS (the previous file system was FAT32),
- executing 'mbrwiz /disk=X /active=1' (unfortunately, even this tool cannot see my usb player right now),
- executing 'bootsect /nt60 Y' (using Windows 7 RTM bootsect executable).

That's the "easy" part, the reformatting as NTFS :loleverybody:.
(both the other two actions WON'T cause anything "bad", at the most it won't boot.
But as well, the device should be recognized at hardware level nonetheless.

The problem seems for me to be unsolvable using software tools, maybe there is a way to erase the bootsector mechanically?

Wait before giving up. ;)

My T7 is still on iRiver warranty, is there a chance I could use it for such a defect? (right, that's not an iRiver forum so this could be a misplaced question).

No way, I am afraid. ;)

I mean try going to, say, BMW and telling them that you replaced their original brakes with custom ones and that your car hit a lamp post because they didn't write clear enough that you weren't allowed to change the brakes....;)

Back to work.

The recovery/manufacturer tools usually use INSTEAD of the standard USB driver a "special" one, able to connect even not "fully working" USB devices.

From what you report I gather that this is not the case of the I-River one.

Are you positive (and I mean 100% positive) that the device is not detected anymore (try on more than one PC, it is possible that a key in the Registry is corrupted on the specific PC where you fiddled with it.

Try using ChipGenius and see what it does report.

Follow (more or less ;)) this thread:
http://www.msfn.org/.../2-t137990.html
where you will find the links to ChipGenius and USB device View

It is possible that the continuous resetting of the device actually prevents it being detected simply because it is not "ON" long enough. :cheers:

Any number of "esoteric" remedies may (or completely fail to) apply.
See here:
http://www.anythingb...ries-review.php
(search on the page for "loop")
The phenomenom is called "loop of death" or NEL (Never Ending Loop), the above is for another player, but the general idea is the same.

jaclaz

P.S.: I just quickly checked the file downloadable here:
http://www.iriver.pl...oad_details.php
and actually, and as expected it contains "special" drivers.
Firmware(s) should be available here:
http://nyaochi.sakur...p/iriverupdate/

Buried in the absolutely stooopid iRiver Site there is this thingy:
http://www.iriver.co...o...wn&code=736
that gives instructions that seem fair enough (and it seems like the T7 is a H10 at heart B)):
Posted Image
The iriver Firmware Updater 2.7.0.0.zip (1.2MB) is actually a NEWER version than the one on the polish site.

#5 Jaccus

Jaccus
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the lots of information again, jaclaz.

- tried on a few different computers / operating systems,
- tried ChipGenius (nothing),
- tried that iriver tool before but it won't go through step 2 cause of the loop.

After reading your answer and a few sites on the web, now I am sure that my T7 is in a 'loop of death' state.

I'm even more sure it's game over with all the software stuff now.

However, I can't see a word in the warranty or manuals about formatting T7 in FAT32 format only, maybe that's my last hope?

#6 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:06 PM

The instructions in the posted image are those to actually exit the loop.

Did you try them? :loleverybody:

Or some variations of them?

Translation: this kind of devices have, like "modern" BIOS have a "bootblock", a reserved block of memory a "failsafe" setting for this occasions.

Through the right method, which involves keeping keys pressed together, removing or applying power or whatever, the device is switched on in this "failsafe" mode or "diagnostic" mode that allows recovery.

All the trick is finding the right setup sequence.

I have to check the BMW manual, but I am pretty sure that there isn't in it anything about changing the brakes either, but however you can try asking the iRiver suport, worst that can happen is that they say that the repair is NOT covered by warranty.

jaclaz

#7 Jaccus

Jaccus
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 22 November 2009 - 08:41 PM

To sum up my experience with iRiver T7, I couldn't find any hard reset sequence, even thought it probably exists. I sent my T7 to warranty service simply describing it as a 'non working device'. After ~3 weeks I received a fresh new T7 player :cheers:

Final conclusion: iRiver warranty terms > BMW warranty terms :dubbio:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users