Hello Power Users!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:[=D=] has been gone for ages along with .NET 1.0. I may bring it back depending on the amazing people here.
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:19 PM

Welcome back to my funhouse. Those of you that know me hi how ya doin? In case I've never been here before, it's good to be back. ;)

I have a very interesting set of tools that I need to start working on once more.

I've been using the Windows PE 1.5 build environment up to this point in time. I'm not sure what happened to my 1.6 builds but I should at least have them to work on my rediculously high scale systems.

I've been looking at the Windows 7 preinstall environment and watching it fly so fast reminds me of how fast Longhorn 4074 would start up. I need to focus on deployment times like that.

Since I'm interested in dropping my previous builds and moving to the Windows 7 preinstall system, it's possible that this will also be useful on systems that use Windows 7. This is why my interest is locked.

However, I have only been looking at preliminary builds and it seems like the build environment has stopped somewhere after the 6800 mark. Is there any chance we will be able to harness this completed system in the near future? It would be nice. :(

Anyway my main concern is this:
I just took a look at one of my 1.5 builds. It's small, it flies and has no problems at 188MB. Is it feasible to aim for a pocketCD sized WinPE3.0 with fully functional microsoft management consoles?

What are the minimum physical requirements to run it?
What are the maximum physical limits to run it?

I am incapable of using Windows XP due to licensing issues.
My common workstation is a multicore unit with 4+GB ram.
My main workstation consists of a quad core single thread system with precisely 4GB. Is this a feasible system to develop Windows PE 3.0?

#2 Brito

Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10616 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:18 AM

Hellooo.. Long time no see! :(

Welcome back! ;)

I just took a look at one of my 1.5 builds. It's small, it flies and has no problems at 188MB. Is it feasible to aim for a pocketCD sized WinPE3.0 with fully functional microsoft management consoles?

Perhaps it is. It's possible if you use the 7 DVD to also include the missing explorer files that go along with MMC

What are the minimum physical requirements to run it?
What are the maximum physical limits to run it?

I'm running and building WinPE3 on 1Gb Acer One with Atom processor (1.3Ghz). Works nice and fast. Guess this would be a minimum.

Not sure about maximum thought.. :(

I am incapable of using Windows XP due to licensing issues.
My common workstation is a multicore unit with 4+GB ram.
My main workstation consists of a quad core single thread system with precisely 4GB. Is this a feasible system to develop Windows PE 3.0?

Should be. But if problems occur - it's simpler to just build from a virtual machine. I run Ubuntu to take advantage of the machine hardware for other tasks but building a winPE3 under VirtualBox is also performing very well.

:(

#3 DaemonForce

DaemonForce

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:[=D=] has been gone for ages along with .NET 1.0. I may bring it back depending on the amazing people here.
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:53 PM

Hellooo.. Long time no see! ;)

I should go back to lurking now... ;)

It's possible if you use the 7 DVD to also include the missing explorer files that go along with MMC

I don't have the DVD so I'll have to look at the manual compiler catalog. It sucks to not have embedded NT6 builds yet.

I'm running and building WinPE3 on 1Gb Acer One with Atom processor (1.3Ghz). Works nice and fast. Guess this would be a minimum.

If only my socket 7 were still around... :)
Recently I've been building a lot of junk computers for a friend that has no idea what he's doing. He has really fast computers with BAD I/O problems and really slow computers that outperform a PIII 667. :)

Currently I'm using WinPE 1.5 on a very good workstation for my friend but moving all the crap around between 40GB and 160GB disks is starting to spout I/O failures.

I already want 10 days of my life back. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users