• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 canilio

canilio

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

Hi everyone,

I followed these instructions and everything went super smooth with one small difference which I believe is the source of my problem.

Problem description: Win7PERescue USB Flash Drive - Blue Screens while Booting - WinBuilder078

I followed the instructions listed above to create the USB Flash Drive up to this part:

At completion, there will be an All Done message as shown below:

Click OK to finish. The UFD device is now ready to boot. You will need to set the UFD as the boot device in order to boot from it. Typically this can be done by either by going into the BIOS setup and changing the boot order, or by selecting the UFD device from a menu of boot devices that can be brought up (on some systems) at boot time by pressing a hot key.

I am not getting the All Done message, instead after a few minutes of copying files via a command window as shown in the tutorial, the window mysteriously disappears and I am brought back to the WinBuilder program. No error messages whatsoever. Then when I try to boot the USB, it boots, GRUB loads, I select the WinPE7 option and Windows starts loading and after some time it blue screens asking me to run chkdsk /f .

What I believe is happening is while the files are being copied an error is produced on the command line without giving me the chance to read what's the error because the command windows closes immediately. Please suggest what can I try to fix this?

#2 trumpy81

trumpy81

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:53 AM

Hi everyone,

Problem description: Win7PERescue USB Flash Drive - Blue Screens while Booting - WinBuilder078

GDay canilio. The blue screen while booting is most likely a driver issue although it could be related to the scenario that you described.

Can you tell us the error message you recieve while booting (Blue Screen)? The most important info is the 0x00000000 (0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000) numbers.

Did the build log show any error messages?

#3 canilio

canilio

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for that. Here are the error messages produced by the blue screen:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0x80786B58, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

Obviously these are addresses of memory locations in 0xHex but I am not familiar with their meaning.

I will now build the USB disk again and will check for possible script errors and will reply again.

GDay canilio. The blue screen while booting is most likely a driver issue although it could be related to the scenario that you described.

Can you tell us the error message you recieve while booting (Blue Screen)? The most important info is the 0x00000000 (0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000) numbers.

Did the build log show any error messages?

#4 trumpy81

trumpy81

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:13 PM

Thanks for that. Here are the error messages produced by the blue screen:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0x80786B58, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

Obviously these are addresses of memory locations in 0xHex but I am not familiar with their meaning.

I will now build the USB disk again and will check for possible script errors and will reply again.

Thanks canilio, that error message suggests a problem with your IDE or SATA drivers. If you can, add your computers IDE or SATA drivers to the build and try again.

Of course we can't rule out other causes at this stage, but it's a good place to start.

#5 darren rose

darren rose

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 455 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:20 PM

yes this is same error I get

tried it on 3 computers now and all do the same

strange as vistape and the other win7pe (i.e. not win7rescuepe) boot find

#6 canilio

canilio

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:36 PM

Thanks canilio, that error message suggests a problem with your IDE or SATA drivers

I understand but I do have a statement to make. It boots fine via the CD and I get no errors what's so ever. If the issue is in fact related to IDE/SATA drivers, I guess since CDs have different file systems and methods of booting, they are not related to the drivers and that's why I get no errors when booting of CD?

Are there any guides in relation to adding IDE/SATA drivers?'

P.S. In my BIOS, I have a section called 'SATA Configuration Mode' with two options: Compatible | Enhanced. It says 'Select Compatible to set serial ATA channel at IDE mode for OS not supporting NATIVE SATA Controller like Windows XP & 2000 or it will run into BSOD when installing Windows'

Although I am running W7, I have it set to Compatible. I have Asus N50VN laptop.

#7 Joshua

Joshua

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 526 posts
  • Interests:Computer, Bikes, and many others
  •  
    Germany

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:58 PM

@all
Have you tested this ???
http://www.boot-land...?...0&hl=solved

Joshua

#8 canilio

canilio

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:00 PM

Joshua: I have not tried it, I will try it, thanks.

I managed to find a way how to reproduce the problem (tested in VB only). For anyone interested in trying it out. This was by accident.

Using GRUB4DOS, I tried launching the Win7Rescue ISO generated by WinBuilder. These are the settings I have in Menu.lst:

title WinBuilder -Win7 Rescue PE
fallback 6
find --set-root /boot/Win7RescuePE.iso
map /boot/Win7RescuePE.iso (0xff) || map --mem /boot/Win7RescuePE.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)
savedefault --wait=2

I know this somehow might be unrelated but I brought it up because I get the same error message....

Off topic: Just for the record, I've used the normal GRUB before and the only way I have gotten Linux ISO's to work is by extracting them in separate dirs and modifying their config files. Still fails sometimes though and when it does fail, it just has problems attaching the file system after the ramdisk is loaded.

#9 canilio

canilio

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:18 AM

IT WORKS!! :( :( :( :( :( :( I got it going!!

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7100]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\UsbBootWatcher\x86>usbbootwatcher /prepare I:\windows\syst

em32

Copy from C:\UsbBootWatcher\x86\UsbBootWatcher.exe

To I:\windows\system32\UsbBootWatcher.exe

Copy from UsbBootWatcher.conf

To I:\windows\system32\UsbBootWatcher.conf

Copy from I:\windows\system32\config\system

To I:\windows\system32\config\system.backup20090911110829

Registry hive loaded HKLM\USBBOOT

Target control set ControlSet001

Updating USBBOOT\ControlSet001\Services\usbstor

Updating USBBOOT\ControlSet001\Services\usbehci

Updating USBBOOT\ControlSet001\Services\usbohci

Updating USBBOOT\ControlSet001\Services\usbuhci

Updating USBBOOT\ControlSet001\Services\usbhub

Creating service USBBOOT\ControlSet001\Services\Usb Boot Watcher Service

Registry hive unloaded HKLM\USBBOOT

C:\UsbBootWatcher\x86>

Note: I first choose to run Command Prompt as administrator!

Now I will try something else! I will copy all the files of the USB stick and using UltraISO will copy them into the Win7Rescue ISO generated by WinBuilder and then using GRUB4DOS should give me the ability to boot Win7Rescue ISO along wiith Linux distros! I am not sure if this works though.

P.S. I created my own USB Boot disk by using diskpart, bootsect /nt60 I: and copying all the files from the WIn7Rescue CD to my USB drive.

Also: You can rename grldr to bootmgr if you do "bootsect /nt60 I:" and create menu.lst on I: (USB drive) and you will have your own GRUB4DOS on a USB stick!

#10 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:42 AM

Also: You can rename grldr to bootmgr if you do "bootsect /nt60 I:" and create menu.lst on I: (USB drive) and you will have your own GRUB4DOS on a USB stick!

For the record, it is NOT a good idea to rename grldr to BOOTMGR or to anything else, some functions of grub4dos may need to re-access grldr.
From the grub4dos README:

*** How to rename grldr ***

grldr and grldr.mbr use internal boot file name to decide which file to load,
so if you want to change the name, you must also change the embeded setting.
You can do this with the help of grubinst, which can be downloaded at:

http://download.gna.org/grubutil/

grubinst can generate customized grldr.mbr:

grubinst -o -b=mygrldr C:\mygrldr.mbr

grubinst can also edit existing grldr/grldr.mbr:

grubinst -e -b=mygrldr C:\mygrldr

grubinst -e -b=mygrldr C:\mygrldr.mbr

In this case, you must use a grubinst that is compatible with the version of
grub4dos, otherwise the edit will fail.

So, in order to load mygrldr instead of grldr, you can use one of the
following methods:

1. Use customized grldr.mbr to load mygrldr. In this case, you need to change
the embeded boot file name in grldr.mbr. The name of grldr.mbr can be changed
at will.

2. Use mygrldr directly. In this case, you need to change the embeded boot
file name in mygrldr to match its new name.

Notice: The boot file name must conform to the 8.3 naming convention.

My personal advice is to use the bootsector invoking NTLDR (please read as bootsect.exe /NT52) and change the string invoked in the bootsector from NTLDR to GRLDR.

Besides manually with hex/disk editor, it can be done with several utilities:
MakeBS.cmd:
http://www.boot-land...;showtopic=2362
BOOTICE:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=8986

jaclaz

#11 darren rose

darren rose

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 455 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:44 AM

its good to see it seems to work using usbbootwatcher - but I am missing the point here as to why this has to be done with 7pe? vistape works perfectly fine and the script copies it to usb with grub menu and it always boots fine, so why the changes with 7

#12 canilio

canilio

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:47 AM

can't you just copy another version of grldr as grldr and this way you will have fake bootmgr which is grldr and the real one but under its real name grldr? This way if it's needed, you will have a real grldr when it needs to be referred to....Just a thought?

My personal advice is to use the bootsector invoking NTLDR (please read as bootsect.exe /NT52) and change the string invoked in the bootsector from NTLDR to GRLDR.

Besides manually with hex/disk editor, it can be done with several utilities:
MakeBS.cmd:
http://www.boot-land...;showtopic=2362
BOOTICE:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=8986

#13 canilio

canilio

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

its good to see it seems to work using usbbootwatcher - but I am missing the point here as to why this has to be done with 7pe? vistape works perfectly fine and the script copies it to usb with grub menu and it always boots fine, so why the changes with 7

darren, I have no idea why but I haven't tried VistaPE so I cannot confirm if it works for me too on VistaPE.

#14 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:22 PM

can't you just copy another version of grldr as grldr and this way you will have fake bootmgr which is grldr and the real one but under its real name grldr? This way if it's needed, you will have a real grldr when it needs to be referred to....Just a thought?

Sure you can :(.
Of course you will have one more file in ROOT of the stick.

You can also simply do what you already did and simply rename grldr to BOOTMGR and wait until a function you are not currently using does not work when you will need it or a new release breaks the currently working behaviour.

These methods are simply NOT advised.

Or...

Or install glrldr.mbr to the MBR.

Or install the grub4dos grldr loading bootsector to that partition.

Or use Syslinux to call BOOTMGR (renamed) that calls NTLDR (renamed) that calls through a renamed BOOT.INI a copy of grldr renamed....

...I simply do not understand the utility of renaming files. :(

Before or later you will completely forget what you have done and have problems with it....or at least this is what Murphy's Law suggests.

:(

jaclaz

#15 canilio

canilio

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the tips :( So now the question is (since I want to do it the right way): Is there a utility that will install grldr to a bootsector of a USB stick?

Edit: Ouch! Spoke to soon, GrubInstall is what I need.

#16 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:49 PM

You DO NOT install grldr to a bootsector.

You either use a "standard" bootsector code (as originally suggested) and change the name of the originally invoked loader to grldr (and I gave you the links to two different utilities that do that), or you install the grub4dos bootsector, through bootlace.com or grubinst.

Ever wondered why the file README_GRUB4DOS.txt is called README_GRUB4DOS.txt ? :)

Additionally, there is a sticky in the grub4dos forum:
http://www.boot-land...hp?showforum=66
this one:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5187
aptly :) named "Grub4dos Guide/Tutorial", which brings you here:
http://diddy.boot-la...os/Grub4dos.htm
where a few chapters are dedicated on different ways to instal/invoke/call/rename grub4dos.

This said, also looky here:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=7328

:)

jaclaz

#17 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:50 PM

Edit: Ouch! Spoke to soon, GrubInstall is what I need.

Too late. :)

You owe me a beer nonetheless. :)

jaclaz

#18 canilio

canilio

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:08 PM

Hehe not a problem but thanks for the links! I already tried GrubInstall (as admin) and works like a charm. It is the same utility that pops up when you want to create the USB PE disk (but as stated I did it manually). I've actually learned something I think and this is what I figured out: When the system boots to the hard disk, there are three main checks that are performed: first it reads standard boot sector code from the MBR (Master Boot Record), 2nd the first tells what will happen in the 2nd step and in this case there is a third step and the third step is associated with the 2nd. So

1. Read Standard Boot Sector Code in MBR (the boot sector code tells the system to load grldr)
2. System searches for grldr and loads it if it finds it
3. grldr reads menu.lst

In Vista and W7:

1. Read Standard Boot Sector Code in MBR (the boot sector code tells the system to load bootmgr)
2. System searches for bootmgr and loads it if it finds it
3. bootmgr reads /boot/bcd

In XP:

1. Read Standard Boot Sector Code in MBR (the boot sector code tells the system to load ntldr)
2. System searches for ntldr and loads it if it finds it
3. ntldr reads /boot.ini

If the above is not correct, please correct me. I was really interested to know how a system boots. I think I am pretty close though. Of course depending how the loader is written it may not require a configuration file such as menu.lst or bcd or boot.ini.

Too late. :)

You owe me a beer nonetheless. :)

jaclaz

#19 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:49 PM

If the above is not correct, please correct me. I was really interested to know how a system boots. I think I am pretty close though. Of course depending how the loader is written it may not require a configuration file such as menu.lst or bcd or boot.ini.

Almost, but not quite.

The MBR is the first sector of a disk.

BIOS when booting accesses first sector of boot device and executes the code (if any) is there.

If you installed grldr.mbr to the MBR you don't have anymore a MBR (1 sector, 512 bytes) but a bootloader (grldr.mbr) placed on the mbr and on a number of the hidden sectors (right now 17, if I am not mistaken).

This 18 sectors long bootloader (grldr.mbr) calls grldr NO MATTER where it is and what is in the bootsector of the various paritions (it simply boots the first "grldr" it can find, even if it's in a hidden partition).

If you have a partition bootsector or PBR calling grldr the behaviour is different, the MBR simply calls the bootsector of the active partition.
I.e.:
BIOS->MBR->grldr.mbr->grldr->menu.lst->whatever
vs:
BIOS->MBR->PBR->grldr->menu.lst->whatever

Normal operation:
BIOS->MBR->PBR->NTLDR->BOOT.INI->whatever
or
BIOS->MBR->PBR->BOOTMGR->\boot\BCD->whatever

See if this graphically clears any doubt you may have:
http://www.multiboot.../multiboot.html

jaclaz

#20 canilio

canilio

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:45 PM

Thanks for that. That is crystal clear.

I just got an idea but I am not sure if it works. I have a fresh new installation of W7 on my laptop. I will copy its entire Windows partition to a USB stick or an external hard disk and then I will use bootsect.exe to create Vista/W7 compatible boot code on the external drive's MBR. Then I will run USBWatcher.exe if required.

Before all that, I will have to match the laptop's hard drive geometry/partition on to the external drive though. So rather than installing Windows on an external disk directly, theoretically the method I described should also work. It should be the same as the W7Rescue PE. It should also work on a USB stick.

Almost, but not quite.

The MBR is the first sector of a disk.

BIOS when booting accesses first sector of boot device and executes the code (if any) is there.

If you installed grldr.mbr to the MBR you don't have anymore a MBR (1 sector, 512 bytes) but a bootloader (grldr.mbr) placed on the mbr and on a number of the hidden sectors (right now 17, if I am not mistaken).

This 18 sectors long bootloader (grldr.mbr) calls grldr NO MATTER where it is and what is in the bootsector of the various paritions (it simply boots the first "grldr" it can find, even if it's in a hidden partition).

If you have a partition bootsector or PBR calling grldr the behaviour is different, the MBR simply calls the bootsector of the active partition.
I.e.:
BIOS->MBR->grldr.mbr->grldr->menu.lst->whatever
vs:
BIOS->MBR->PBR->grldr->menu.lst->whatever

Normal operation:
BIOS->MBR->PBR->NTLDR->BOOT.INI->whatever
or
BIOS->MBR->PBR->BOOTMGR->\boot\BCD->whatever

See if this graphically clears any doubt you may have:
http://www.multiboot.../multiboot.html

jaclaz

#21 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 September 2009 - 08:12 AM

Thanks for that. That is crystal clear.

I will copy its entire Windows partition to a USB stick or an external hard disk and then I will use bootsect.exe to create Vista/W7 compatible boot code on the external drive's MBR.

;)
;)
Bootsect.exe Modifies the Bootsector Not the MBR!!
http://neosmart.net/...or-not-the-mbr/

It's not as much a problem of size/geometry of partition, but rather a problem with MBR disk signature (and consequently) drive lettering.

See here for a hint:
http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=19663
A first partition on a "properly" formatted device will always start at 00,7E,00,00,00,00,00,00

MBRFIX (and a number of other utilities) allow you to change the Disk Signature:
http://www.sysint.no...ting/mbrfix.htm

And you need to either delete or change the values of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices.

If you are off-line, this may work:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=4684

In other words, you just re-invented the SQUARE wheel (second part of Tutorial 8):
http://www.911cd.net...o...181&st=1707
you will need some time to round it off.

jaclaz

#22 canilio

canilio

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:10 AM

Hmm that would explain why it didn't work ;)

In other words, you just re-invented the SQUARE [i]wheel (second part of Tutorial 8): you will need some time to round it off.

Hehe it's been a long today but that phrase made me laugh ;) Thanks :)

I bought a 32GB USB flash drive, Corsair Voyger as I intend to put multiple Linux distributions on one disk. I've already done this in two ways with CDs:

1. Using GRUB and extracting the ISOs and modifying the config files such as isolinux.conf and menu.lst to redirect the kernel paths etc and
2: Using GRUB4DOS and booting ISOs but extracting files such as pmagic.sqfs and putting them in the same location as the original ISO but on the ISO I build instead....So far it works and I successfully avoid messages such as 'file system not found' or similar while booting....

I always experiment and I am not afraid to lose data and most of the time I learn on trial and error but of course I read documentation too. With my current experiments the worst that could happen is stuff up my boot loader and of course I'd have no problems rebuilding it.

#23 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:31 AM

Hmm that would explain why it didn't work :)

In other words, you just re-invented the SQUARE [i]wheel (second part of Tutorial 8): you will need some time to round it off.

Hehe it's been a long today but that phrase made me laugh :) Thanks ;)

Rule #12:
http://www.boot-land...?act=boardrules
;)

JFYI, beware NOT to re-invent the one-bump-less wheel:
http://www.boot-land...?...c=2037&st=7

jaclaz

#24 canilio

canilio

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 12:47 PM

I apologize for breaking rule 2 and thanks for all your help. I guess this thread can be closed and marked as SOLVED.

Just for the record, I created a multi boot disk that boots a few live Linux ISOs (Parted Magic, System Rescue etc) + Win7Rescue all from one USB stick using GRUB4DOS and it is all thanks to this site. First I had it going on a CD but without W7Rescue but after I got my USB flash drive I also got Win7Rescue going (with USBBootWatch) and now all I need to do is copy the entire contents in a folder and mkisofs :) To make grldr look for the bootbgr on my USB drive I had to take --ignore-floppies option off so the starting point would be removable media.

Excellent job ;) :)

Rule #12:
http://www.boot-land...?act=boardrules
;)

JFYI, beware NOT to re-invent the one-bump-less wheel:
http://www.boot-land...?...c=2037&st=7

jaclaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users