Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1,125 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:33 AM

Pseudo

please clear the following ,

1. is F6.zip a substitute of mass storage driver pack (which is around 6 MB in 7z ) ? i am afraid that F6.zip does not have that much drivers in it >?

2. does SRS1.zip also contain drivers ?

3. it will be great if you can explain menu entries one by one ( as Jaclaz told you in MSFN ,to open a topic here and explain a bit )

4. lately Bean , Climbing , Pauly and many other have been very helpful and innovative , bean's fbinst is originally in english , then i asked for the english translation of the gui (fbinst tool ) and the author was soo kind that he made one . then climbing requested Pauly on my behalf to make an english version of Bootice ,,
so the bottom line , should i (we) have to ask climbing to request you on our behalf to convince you to make an english version too :unsure:

#102 pseudo

pseudo
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:48 AM

@maanu
1,2. Yes, see the topic1 and topic2. You can go to the Chinese forum to discuss more details about 0PE.
3,4. I would like to make more foreign friends and to learn from them.

#103 niche99

niche99

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 235 posts
  •  
    Scotland

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:03 PM

I'm confused.
I have created an image of a Win2003 Server (firadisk installed before image taken) using WinImage, it is 4.9GB in size. Do I need to have more than the image size in RAM (ie more than 5GB of RAM) in order to boot the image?

I have tried the following grub4dos menu entry:

map --mem (hd0,1)/tlive.ima (hd0)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

booting fails with a message about number of sectors being outside the number of sectors in the image? The next error message is Error 16: filesystem inconsistent.

Any help appreciated.
niche99

#104 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7,098 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:15 PM

I'm confused.
I have created an image of a Win2003 Server (firadisk installed before image taken) using WinImage, it is 4.9GB in size. Do I need to have more than the image size in RAM (ie more than 5GB of RAM) in order to boot the image?

No, everything that does not fit in the image is simply not used, but beware :), as it pops out of the RAM and it may spill on the motherboard, making false contacts. :)

What the heck do you think a RAMdisk driver uses if not RAM? :cheers:

OF COURSE you need enough RAM to hold the image AND the Operating System. :cheers:

Comeon, just think a bit about it, the image is loaded into RAM what do you think will happen when there is no more free RAM available?

What happens if you load on a hard disk an image bigger than the hard disk size?

Use a decently sized image.

jaclaz

#105 niche99

niche99

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 235 posts
  •  
    Scotland

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:55 PM

Then I'm confused by a comment I read about booting from RAM not into RAM.
I don't understand the difference.

I thought that this driver would allow an image to behave like a virtual hard disk (which was mentioned in the email introducing this driver) a la vmware, where the system would boot if only 512 MB ram for example, was assigned to it, so if the physical amount of RAM was 512 MB the image would use it.

Just because my knowledge how this driver operates is not as great as yours, is no reason to be patronizing.

niche99

#106 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7,098 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:25 PM

Just because my knowledge how this driver operates is not as great as yours, is no reason to be patronizing.

Sorry, didn't mean to. :)

I assumed that before trying it you would have read the thread, even if not knowing/understanding fully how the driver works.

This should have stopped in your tracks:
http://www.boot-land...?...=8804&st=55

GRUB4DOS 0.4.4 don't load data to >4GB address. If you can change GRUB4DOS to create RAM drive there, FiraDisk can use it.

And this:
http://www.boot-land...?...=8804&st=73

To do list:
- Boot from image file without RAM drive.
Not possible with current FiraDisk. Require rewriting of much of the code.

And this:
http://www.boot-land...?...=8804&st=77
check also posts #79 and #80

:cheers:

jaclaz

#107 diddy

diddy

• Tutorial Writer
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:24 AM

A few notes following some experiments with firadisk

Installed XP Home (OEM version that does not require activation - uses SLP) to (hd0,4)

Booted (hd0,4)
- Installed all drivers for my hardware
- Removed pagefile
- Removed Windows\system32\dllcache\*.*
- Disabled System Restore
- Made a few other tweaks
- Installed firadisk

Following these tweaks the XP install was reduced to approximately 1.09 GB

Rebooted computer into PE (LiveXP)

Used imdisk to mount a 1GB disk image (1.0.ima) as R: - the image was created using dd for windows and Jaclaz's mbrbatch and was formatted using Compressed NTFS

Used Robocopy to copy all files and folders from (hd0,4) to R: (mounted disk image)

Edited R:\boot.ini and changed the arcpaths (in [boot loader] and [operating systems] sections) to

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
e.g.

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Mounted the system registry hive R:\windows\system32\config\system and edited MountedDevices key

NOTE - using Compressed NTFS on the disk image the XP source files were compressed to 727MB, leaving 297MB free (writable) space

Unmounted image

Added following entry to menu.lst
title XP RAM Load \n Firadisk test

find --set-root /1.0.ima

map --mem /1.0.ima (hd0)

map --hook

root (hd0,0)

chainloader /ntldr

Image booted, however I received the following messages
Found New Hardware - RAM Disk

Found New Hardware - Disk drive

Your new hardware is installed but might not work properly until you reboot

I was then prompted to restart the computer for the new settings to take effect - I was able to ignore this warning and carry on without any problems.

I tried editing the MountedDevices registry key and also deleted it, but still got the above errors

The image booted even though ntldr was compressed

#108 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7,098 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:10 PM

I tried editing the MountedDevices registry key and also deleted it, but still got the above errors

Editing it "how"? :)

jaclaz

#109 diddy

diddy

• Tutorial Writer
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:36 PM

@Jaclaz
Followed the instructions in the first post -

Testing FiraDisk with GRUB4DOS mem drive as boot drive
3. If image file have different MBR signature, adjust registry in image file.
load hive \Windows\system32\config\system,
goto key MountedDevices, value \DosDevices\C:
change the data to match MBR signature and LBA of disk image
unload hive

#110 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7,098 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

What if you mount (booted in "real HD windows") the image with Firadisk, say with drive letter "Y:".
Then you save the Registry overwriting the one in "Y:\Windows\System32\config\".
Then you edit it (the copy on Y:\ ) simply RENAMING:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\Dosdevices\DosDevices\C:
to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\Dosdevices\DosDevices\Z:
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\Dosdevices\DosDevices\Y:
to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices\Dosdevices\DosDevices\C:

:)

jaclaz

#111 diddy

diddy

• Tutorial Writer
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:00 PM

@Jaclaz
Will give this a try tomorrow when I have more time.

I have already tried booting from the disk image with MountedDevices key deleted, then exporting the new MountedDevices key (created during the boot process) and injecting into the offline disk image. Still had the same errors on reboot.

Not sure if these errors result from my non standard setup (8 x OS partitions) - does anyone else get the errors described in my post above?

#112 karyonix

karyonix

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 434 posts
  •  
    Thailand

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:34 PM

Your new hardware is installed but might not work properly until you reboot

MountedDevices is not related to these messages.

Disk drives work because it has matching ID in CriticalDeviceDatabase even before you install a driver for device instance.
To successfully install/update driver for a device, its old driver (disk) must be stopped and new driver (disk) started even if it is the same driver.
But boot drive cannot be stopped while Windows is running.

To avoid the messages, please try one of these. (I have not verifyied it)
1. In your running Windows in RAM save HKLM\SYSTEM into a registry hive file.
reg save HKLM\SYSTEM E:\system.hiv
Install Imdisk. Use Imdisk to mount image file (as F:). Copy E:\system.hiv to F:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system. Unmount Imdisk.

or
2. Install driver for RAM Disk in source Windows (hd0,4) before you create image.
- Create a small test disk image.
- Map the image as RAM Disk in GRUB4DOS and boot source Windows.
- Wait until Windows install driver for RAM Disk.
- Shutdown.
- If you already have disk image. You don't have to re-copy every file again.
Just replace R:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM with the new one from source Windows.
And adjust its \DosDevices\C: (or other appropriate drive letter) again.

#113 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2,147 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:43 PM

Image booted, however I received the following messages

I followed your procedure and I get the first message, but not the second one.

There were some small differences in the procedure:

My computer has two harddisks, where the test version of Windows XP Prof was first installed on second primary partition of first harddisk.
Normally I boot from second harddisk with XP, and that is the environment where I prepared the XPR.img
I used an image of 1500 MB made with latest hddimage.cmd of oriensol, which is based on mkimg.cmd of jaclaz.
I created in the MBR of the mounted image a disk signature (CD 0B CD 0B) and used that also to change \DosDevices\C: in MountedDevices of the system hive.

Then the first primary partition of first harddisk was quick formatted with NTFS and then I used BOOT_IMG.exe to make it bootable with boot.ini menu from which grub4dos can be launcehed and then select to boot with XPR.img from RAMDISK.

grub4dos menu.lst entry made manually:
title Boot XPR Image

map --mem (hd0,0)/XPR.img (hd0)

map --hook

root (hd0,0)

chainloader /ntldr

#114 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2,147 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:08 PM

To avoid the messages, please try one of these. (I have not verify it)

Yes :)

This solves the problem, all messages are gone.

Actually I used vdk again to mount the original XPR.img file and to replace the config\system registry file with the saved registry hive file.

Windows XP runs extremely fast and quiet from RAMDISK. Very nice this way.

=
Posted Image
=

#115 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7,098 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:23 PM

Yes :cheers:

This solves the problem, all messages are gone.

You mean after the first time, right? :)

The "other" method should theoretically prevent them appearing also the first time. :(

OT, but not much, how 'bout using good ol' ERUNT?
http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/

jaclaz

#116 diddy

diddy

• Tutorial Writer
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:27 PM

To avoid the messages, please try one of these. (I have not verify it)

Install Imdisk. Use Imdisk to mount image file (as F:). Copy E:\system.hiv to F:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system. Unmount Imdisk.

I can also confirm that this works - thanks karyonix

Just for convenience I have uploaded a zip file containing 11 disk images (1GB, 1.1GB, 1.2GB, 1.3GB....., 2.0GB) - here. The download is approximately 1.2MB in size - all of the included disk images are zipped in individual archives. All disk images were created using DD for Windows and jaclaz's mbrbatch - they do not contain disk signatures. A readme is included, which details image parameters and additional info - all images have been formatted using Compressed NTFS.

diddy

#117 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2,147 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:35 PM

You mean after the first time, right? :)

Yes you are right :cheers:

ERUNT is indeed very convenient to get the system registry file.

#118 luzel

luzel
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:16 PM

Hello
I tried to applly the firadisk driver to my windows installation. So i prepared the fresh windows installation reduced to 800 magabytes using the nlite tool. I made the new windows installation on the 1310 megabytes primary partition successfully. I installed the firadisk driver with first method, I preapared disk image using the immdisk driver from another windows installation by choosing the save disk content as image file from the context menu of my 1310 mb partition. Image has been completed successfully and i used the grub ver 0.4.4 to boot this image with the code described at the top of this topi. What i observed? Image file is loading successfully in to ram memory and booting process of windows begins. When hardware initialization proces starts everything is halt. So i tried to run windows inside of image in the safe mode with success, I dont know what occurs this problem. I have got the celssius mobile 230h notebook with the oryginal drivers designed for windows xp operating system. Before creating the image file of my new windows installation i removed the mounted devices from my registry, because windows in the next start create new table of disk drives. Each help will be appreciated. Best wishes from Poland

#119 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2,147 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:39 AM

Hello
Before creating the image file of my new windows installation i removed the mounted devices from my registry, because windows in the next start create new table of disk drives.

Try to use hddimage.cmd of oriensol to prepare your empty full HDD image with MBR
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=9033

You should not remove the mounted devices from registry.

#120 diddy

diddy

• Tutorial Writer
  • 78 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:20 PM

You should not remove the mounted devices from registry.

Why not?

I have deleted the MountedDevices without any adverse effects. Having said that I don't use a pagefile - if you do use a pagefile you will have to edit this key instead of removing it.

diddy

#121 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2,147 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:37 PM

I have deleted the MountedDevices without any adverse effects.

OK, I kept the MountedDevices, so both ways seem acceptable.

The boot problem of luzel might be due to NOT setting properly the same Disk Signature in MBR and \DosDevices\C:

Besides switching off pagefile creation, I also switched off hibernation (Sleep in Energy settings).
Then reboot and be sure that the corresponding two large files are not occurring any more.

#122 luzel

luzel
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 26 September 2009 - 09:13 PM

Hello
Thanks allot for your advices, but i Wonder how can I adjust the disk signature in the mounted devices hive. How can I read the signature of my new disk image? Best regards from Poland.

#123 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2,147 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:16 AM

To edit or view DiskSignature in MBR of your XPR.img file:
  • Download U_XP_SET package
  • Use Mount_IMG.cmd from U_XP_SET\USB_XP_Setup\makebt folder to mount your XPR.img file with vdk
  • Use TinyHexer to view DiskSignature 4 bytes at Offset 0x1B8 e.g. (CD 0B CD 0B) in MBR
    Select File > Disk > Open drive ... > your PHYSICALDRIVE with mounted image file
  • Use UnMount_IMG.cmd to unmount your image

See post #1 of karyonix to load and edit system hive
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=8804

3. If image file have different MBR signature or offset to partition, adjust registry in image file.
load hive \Windows\system32\config\system,
goto key MountedDevices, value \DosDevices\C:
change the data to match MBR signature and byte-offset to partition of disk image
unload hive

=
Posted Image
=

#124 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7,098 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:22 AM

JFYI (and for self promotion :D):
MBRVIEW Structure Viewer for Tiny Hexer:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=8734
http://www.boot-land...?...c=8734&st=8

Will give you more easily the Signature and the offset.

jaclaz

#125 diddy

diddy

• Tutorial Writer
  • 78 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:41 PM

I decided to experiment with firadisk a little more to see if I could use it to boot a PE based .ima disk image similar to when using ramdisk.sys and setupldr.bin from w2k3 SP1 source. I have not checked out the LiveXP script yet and wanted to see if I could complete the steps manually. After a little experimentation it was no real surprise to find it worked perfectly - if only I'd remembered to rename the i386 folder a little earlier I'd have saved myself most of the hassle involved. Although I used a BartPE based build this should also work for other XP based PE's (LiveXP, etc). These instructions can be modified to create a RAM loading image from an existing build. The .reg file and some of the other instructions have been adapted from elsewhere in this thread (see post #4 by joakim)

Built a nu2shell based BartPE disc with minimal plugins (nu2shell, nu2menu and a43).

Did not use a RAM Drive plugin, however added a custom .inf with the following registry settings to set the systemdrive as %temp%, %tmp% and %ramdrv% environment variables -
[codebox]Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\PE\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0001]"InfPath"="firadisk.inf""InfSection"="FiraDiskDevice""InfSectionExt"=".NTx86""ProviderName"="Karyonix""DriverDateData"=hex(3):00,40,19,FA,84,2E,CA,01"DriverDate"="9-6-2009""DriverVersion"="0.0.1.12""MatchingDeviceId"="root\\firadisk""DriverDesc"="FiraDisk Virtual Disk Enumerator"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\PE\ControlSet001\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\root#firadisk]"ClassGUID"="{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}""Service"="firadisk"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\PE\ControlSet001\Control\GroupOrderList]"SCSI Miniport"=hex(03):41,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,01,01,00,00,19,00,00,00,01,\ 00,00,00,02,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,05,00,00,00,06,00,00,00,07,00,\ 00,00,08,00,00,00,09,00,00,00,0a,00,00,00,0b,00,00,00,0c,00,00,00,0d,00,00,\ 00,0e,00,00,00,0f,00,00,00,10,00,00,00,11,00,00,00,12,00,00,00,13,00,00,00,\ 14,00,00,00,15,00,00,00,16,00,00,00,17,00,00,00,1a,00,00,00,18,00,00,00,1b,\ 00,00,00,1c,00,00,00,1d,00,00,00,1e,00,00,00,1f,00,00,00,20,00,00,00,23,00,\ 00,00,24,00,00,00,25,00,00,00,26,00,00,00,27,00,00,00,28,00,00,00,29,00,00,\ 00,2a,00,00,00,2b,00,00,00,2c,00,00,00,2d,00,00,00,2e,00,00,00,2f,00,00,00,\ 30,00,00,00,31,00,00,00,32,00,00,00,33,00,00,00,34,00,00,00,35,00,00,00,36,\ 00,00,00,37,00,00,00,38,00,00,00,39,00,00,00,3a,00,00,00,3b,00,00,00,3c,00,\ 00,00,3d,00,00,00,3e,00,00,00,3f,00,00,00,21,00,00,00,22,00,00,00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\PE\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\LEGACY_FASTFAT\0000\Control]"ActiveService"="Fastfat"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\PE\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\SCSIADAPTER\0000]"Capabilities"=dword:00000000"Class"="SCSIAdapter""ClassGUID"="{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}""ConfigFlags"=dword:00000004"DeviceDesc"="FiraDisk Virtual Disk Enumerator""Driver"="{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\\0001""HardwareID"=hex(07):72,00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,5c,00,66,00,69,00,72,00,61,00,\ 64,00,69,00,73,00,6b,00,00,00,00,00"Mfg"="Karyonix""Service"="firadisk"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\PE\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\SCSIADAPTER\0000\Control]"ActiveService"="firadisk"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\PE\ControlSet001\Enum\Root\SCSIADAPTER\0000\LogConf][HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\PE\ControlSet001\Services\firadisk]"DisplayName"="FiraDisk Virtual Disk Driver""ErrorControl"=dword:00000001"Group"="SCSI miniport""ImagePath"="X:\\I386\\SYSTEM32\\DRIVERS\\firadisk.sys""Start"=dword:00000000"Tag"=dword:00000022"Type"=dword:00000001[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\PE\ControlSet001\Services\firadisk\Enum]"0"="ROOT\\SCSIADAPTER\\0000""Count"=dword:00000001"NextInstance"=dword:00000001[/codebox]Unmounted the [b]R:\i386\system32\setupreg.hiv[/b] registry hive using command - [code]reg unload HKLM\PE[/code]Copied [b]R:\i386\setupldr.bin[/b] to [b]R:\[/b] and renamed as ntldrCopied [b]R:\i386\ntdetect.com[/b] to [b]R:\[/b] Renamed [b]R:\i386\[/b] as [b]R:\minint\[/b] Added Grub4dos menu.lst entry[code]find --set-root /my_disk.imamap --mem /my_disk.ima (hd0)map --hookroot (hd0,0)chainloader /ntldr[/code]

Although I'm pleased with the results I'm not yet ready to retire my ramdisk.sys and setupldr.bin (from w2k3 SP1) based builds (e.g. bootsdi) just yet as there's still a lot of hardware out there that is not compatiable with Grub4dos. It's great to finally have a method to get around the 500MB limit imposed by the w2k3 files.

diddy

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users