Photo
- - - - -

You need to be connected on the internet to download files.. (077 RC2)

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#26 jwhitlow

jwhitlow
  • Deactivated
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:22 PM

I am also experiencing this issue. I am on Windows XP Pro SP3. WinBuilder 076 works just fine. As a matter of fact, it was 076 that updated me to 077 RC2. I also downloaded 078 SP1 & tried it, but I got the same error.

Hopefully someone can offer a solution soon...

#27 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:06 AM

I am also experiencing this issue. I am on Windows XP Pro SP3. WinBuilder 076 works just fine. As a matter of fact, it was 076 that updated me to 077 RC2. I also downloaded 078 SP1 & tried it, but I got the same error.

Hopefully someone can offer a solution soon...

Post a screen shoot of WB 078 SP1 Download center > proxy tab (clean user and password before!)

Peter

#28 vcgx28

vcgx28
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:41 PM

I'm having the same problem. What network activity is WinBuilder doing to check if the computer has an internet connection? I think the firewall at work is blocking what WinBuilder is trying to do.

I tried a fresh launch of WinBuilder 078 SP1 on a clean install of XP SP3 (no AV, firewall off, web pages load fine), several other XP computers, an XP VirtualPC image, and a Vista computer. All fail with the "You need to be connected on the internet to download files.." error.

At home (on Comcast internet) on XP, WinBuilder 078 SP1 works fine. It comes up finds the hosts ok, and no problems using WinBuilder so far.

The network admins here at work are pretty friendly, but I need to know what WinBuilder is trying to do so they can open whatever is being blocked. I'm sure they could figure it out, but if you guys know and can post the info, that would save a lot of their time.

076 connects fine at work, 077RC2 and 078 give the 'need to be connected' error.

Thanks.

#29 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:52 PM

I'm having the same problem. What network activity is WinBuilder doing to check if the computer has an internet connection? I think the firewall at work is blocking what WinBuilder is trying to do.

In 'factory settings' WB tries a ping by the 'native' ICMP.

In WinBuilder's download center, tab 'Proxy' you have some possibilities to adjust to your specific conditions.

e.g. some proxies block ICMP. Then choose 'HTTP' for 'Ping'.

If all possible variations do not lead to success, you have a new, currently unknown, condition we have to add to the proxy tab options.

Peter

#30 vcgx28

vcgx28
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:05 PM

We don't use a proxy here. In the VirtualPC I switched the ping from ICMP to HTTP and it worked!

When I switch ping to HTTP on my normal XP SP3 computer, it still didn't work. I disabled VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i, and turned off Windows Firewall, but that didn't help. I'll go try the HTTP ping settings on some other computers. At least it works on the Virtual PC.

Was that mentioned somewhere that I should have RTFM'd? If so, sorry about that.

Thanks!

#31 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:14 PM

We don't use a proxy here. In the VirtualPC I switched the ping from ICMP to HTTP and it worked!

When I switch ping to HTTP on my normal XP SP3 computer, it still didn't work. I disabled VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i, and turned off Windows Firewall, but that didn't help. I'll go try the HTTP ping settings on some other computers. At least it works on the Virtual PC.

Was that mentioned somewhere that I should have RTFM'd? If so, sorry about that.

Thanks!

The conditions are very different, and the proxy tab settings should give the ability ti meet every host condition and connect to the internet.
I cannot explain what to use in what conditions, I only gave the options.

And: You did not miss sth. Proxy settings are currently only documented in several posts, not in the official documentation.

Sorry, but currently I'm workinhz all 24 hours of the day with WB. And even using the 12 additional hours of the night, is not enough. :)

Let's be happy that you could find your solution with the current available options! :)

Peter :)

#32 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:16 PM

We don't use a proxy here.

Did you switch off the 'Use Proxy' in Download center >> Proxy?

Peter

#33 vcgx28

vcgx28
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:25 PM

I didn't have either 'use proxy' option checked. I'll look into it next week, it's Friday afternoon, yay!

Thanks for all the hard work you do on this project. I wish I had the time and knowledge to help out.

#34 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:29 PM

I didn't have either 'use proxy' option checked. I'll look into it next week, it's Friday afternoon, yay!

Thanks for all the hard work you do on this project. I wish I had the time and knowledge to help out.

I have an idea: for non-proxy systems WB uses the IE settings from registry. Maybe there is something strange on your system.

Have a nice weekend!

And please, on Monday morning post here to call me back!

Peter

#35 jwhitlow

jwhitlow
  • Deactivated
  • 8 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:10 PM

e.g. some proxies block ICMP. Then choose 'HTTP' for 'Ping'.

I don't use a proxy, but switching the ping to HTTP still solved my issue! Thanks for the suggestion!

Currently I only have a minor issue with PENetwork. I have found a work-around, though. :)

#36 vcgx28

vcgx28
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

Sorry it's taken so long to get back - it's busy at work and this isn't a priority.

I reinstalled VirusScan for other reasons, and when I just went to test WinBuilder again, it worked using the HTTP Ping. This didn't work before, so maybe the previous VirusScan install had some setting blocking it.

Thanks for helping to troubleshoot, looks like things are working fine here now.

#37 T.R.D.

T.R.D.
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:19 PM

Just an odd thought here, check out the winbuilder.ini file.

If the winbuilder application is actually using this, there might be a slight problem.... none of the fields (port number, host, etc) are valid. This is the first time I've tried this tool (have been using Bart's PE); so, I am starting with a "clean slate". I'm not sure pinging the devil out of google is going to prove much (other than routing of ICMP packets). I am using ESET along with the XP firewall; haven't run into any connectivity problems yet... including with stuff I've written myself.

#38 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:39 PM

Just an odd thought here, check out the winbuilder.ini file.

If the winbuilder application is actually using this, there might be a slight problem.... none of the fields (port number, host, etc) are valid. This is the first time I've tried this tool (have been using Bart's PE); so, I am starting with a "clean slate". I'm not sure pinging the devil out of google is going to prove much (other than routing of ICMP packets). I am using ESET along with the XP firewall; haven't run into any connectivity problems yet... including with stuff I've written myself.

Can you explain more in detail?

I do not understand that 'none of the fields is valid'

When you download a fresh WinBuilder, there is no WinBuilder.ini, and therefore no preset fields.

WinBuilder.ini is created on the first run containing default values, which you can change later.
But there is no [Proxy] section.

Peter

#39 T.R.D.

T.R.D.
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:45 AM

I was simply looking at the ini file that was generated the first time I ran WinBuilder (see attached). I simply found it curious that the user and host names were random data and the port was set to 0, granted the proxy for both HTTP and FTP are disabled.

This being the case, what is the default port number and host name / IP address for either the HTTP or FTP client. Anyone with a port monitor (e.g. CPORTS) could watch the socket/connection state and see what is actually happening. A sniffer could prove even more useful in figuring this out. Just a thought.

#40 sebus

sebus

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:30 AM

Could this issue eventually be sorted?

It is not possible behind my corporate firewall (that I administer myself) to use winbuilder to download anything.
ICMP is not allowed (as it should be!), but I can perfectly do http-ping

Yet Winbuilder 078 SP6 still does NOT see the connection to internet

There should be an override option in the ini for such situations where user can just turn OFF the need for ping

sebus

#41 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 January 2010 - 09:57 AM

Could this issue eventually be sorted?

It is not possible behind my corporate firewall (that I administer myself) to use winbuilder to download anything.
ICMP is not allowed (as it should be!), but I can perfectly do http-ping

Yet Winbuilder 078 SP6 still does NOT see the connection to internet

There should be an override option in the ini for such situations where user can just turn OFF the need for ping

sebus

We have to find out, what in your WinBuilder proxy configuration is wrong.

I wrote a test program which uses WinBuilder.ini to work with the proxy (And changes are also written back to WinBuilder.ini):
http://nativeex.boot...ete/WBProxy.zip

When with the testURL (sourceforge.net) ALL three buttons work, a click on the "WinBuilder" button should give a list of all selected servers.

If that works and WinBuilder still cannot connect, have to solve some :confused1:

Peter

#42 sebus

sebus

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

Well that is the thing.
I have corporate proxy, but for my IP I have direct access to port 80 & 443 (no need for the proxy)

With proxy selected I can NOT get any reply to http PING

Running your util with NO proxy selected I can use all 3 buttons are OK (with http PING selected)

So lets forget the use of the proxy as it is not going to happen without me doing changes to the firewall setup = not worth it

So lets concentrate on the plain usage with no proxy just through opened port 80 that your util is happy with!

Then I click on Winbuilder button & I get this fine:

http://win7pe.winbui...ts/updates.ini: 9131 bytes in 11 sec 27 msec

Then I start Winbuilder & get the very same error as in the title!

[Proxy]

useHTTPProxy=False

HTTPhost=

HTTPport=8080

HTTPuser=xxxxx

HTTPpwd=xxxxx

HTTPRFC2617=False

useFTPProxy=False

FTPhost=

FTPport=0

FTPuser=xxxxx

FTPpwd=xxxxx

FTPRFC2617=False

DNS=xxxxx

PingType=1

sebus

#43 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 January 2010 - 11:59 AM

Well that is the thing.
I have corporate proxy, but for my IP I have direct access to port 80 & 443 (no need for the proxy)

With proxy selected I can NOT get any reply to http PING

Running your util with NO proxy selected I can use all 3 buttons are OK (with http PING selected)

So lets forget the use of the proxy as it is not going to happen without me doing changes to the firewall setup = not worth it

So lets concentrate on the plain usage with no proxy just through opened port 80 that your util is happy with!

Then I click on Winbuilder button & I get this fine:

http://win7pe.winbui...ts/updates.ini: 9131 bytes in 11 sec 27 msec

Then I start Winbuilder & get the very same error as in the title!

sebus

Thanks!

That seems to be an until now unknown bug in WinBuilder itself, not in the download mechanism.

I'll check in debugger.

BTW: I x-ed some private lines in your post.

Peter

#44 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:24 PM

@sebus

The test program is linked with some modules of WinBuilder. But it is rather old.
Maybe that in the mean time a bug came into WinBuilder.

I relinked the test program with the actual WB version and uploaded.

Can you please download again and repeat the test?

Peter

#45 sebus

sebus

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:26 PM

BTW: I x-ed some private lines in your post.

They were not private, they get created by winbuilder itself (and I also changed few characters to random anyway!)

Thanks for looking into it

sebus

#46 grmpf

grmpf
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:22 AM

Hi,

I've got similar problems.
I used the actual wbproxy.exe
I can resolve the ip, i can download files but i can not ping!
No chance.
It doesn't matter if I use http or icmp.
And I have no chance to change the settings in the firewall because it's a corporate firewall
where I have no rights.
It would be easyer if it would be possible to turn off the need of pings.

Additional info:
When I use V076 it is no problem to do the downloads. proxy settings are activated.

#47 Stuart Grant

Stuart Grant
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Switzerland

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

I've been stuck with this error message for some days.
The background - I'm 84 years old (!) and have never worked professionally in IT but have been an enthusiastic amateur for about 20 years. My main computer is a Dell with WindowsXP with SP3. I subscribe to a Swiss magazine (in German) called OnlinePC. This month they had an article on creating a USB stick with Windows7 on it, which could be used to run Windows7 on any computter (for 60 days !).
I followed instructions and downloaded all the necessary files from Microsoft and installed them on a virtual DVD (G:). Then I downloaded Winbuilder (078 SP4). When I tried to run it I got the message which is the subject of this thread. Tried repeatedly - alwas the same. Today I noticed a small note at the end of the article referring to this website. Logged on, registered and saw the discussion. Noted several recommendations on removing the firewall. I have Outpost installed - a very good firewall. I disabled it and BINGO - no more Error mesage !
Instead I got a screen which said FORBIDDEN in about 24 point type. "you are not authorized ..." Ignored this. The ONlinePC article said under "please select the projects you want to download choose "rescue.w07.net/Projects". Sure enough it is listed. Clicked it and then clicked "Download" and it downloaded a lot of files. Marvellous !
Got a new screen. Then it said "select Source". I clicked on the "select a directory button and navigated to G:. And now I'm stuck again !
G: is automatically inserted in the Source box, but I get the error message " You must select a valid source". The article says "the drive is entitled GMCENEVAL_D_DVD(X:), where X is the virtual DVD. However I can't manage to get the Source Box to accept this designation. It strips off evrything except the G: but then says it is not valid.

Sorry to be so long-winded but can anyone help ?

To all the others who are stuck at the earlier "you must be connected ....." error message, I can only say that it definitely seems to be the firewall that causes that.

Stuart, Zurich, Switzerland

#48 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:13 PM

I wrote a test GUI.

It uses the same source modules WinBuilder uses.

Play arond with it and try to find a constellation which works behind your firewall.

It it works, do nothing more. WinBuilder already has the information and can work like WBProxy worked.

If you cannot connect with WBProxy, maybe we can solve the issue here.

If there are questions, do not worry to ask. Look at my signature ...

Peter

#49 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:43 PM

Instead I got a screen which said FORBIDDEN in about 24 point type. "you are not authorized ..." Ignored this. The ONlinePC article said under "please select the projects you want to download choose "rescue.w07.net/Projects". Sure enough it is listed. Clicked it and then clicked "Download" and it downloaded a lot of files. Marvellous !
Got a new screen. Then it said "select Source". I clicked on the "select a directory button and navigated to G:. And now I'm stuck again !
G: is automatically inserted in the Source box, but I get the error message " You must select a valid source". The article says "the drive is entitled GMCENEVAL_D_DVD(X:), where X is the virtual DVD. However I can't manage to get the Source Box to accept this designation. It strips off evrything except the G: but then says it is not valid.

Maybe two additional isssues:
#1: For some administrative reasons the server with rescue.w07.net is not longer available.
#2: I'm not sure whether I understood you right. The source box must show to YOUR Win7 source CD. See the X: of the article only as sample.

Peter

#50 Stasheck

Stasheck
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 21 April 2010 - 02:53 PM

Hi,

I've got similar problems.
I used the actual wbproxy.exe
I can resolve the ip, i can download files but i can not ping!
No chance.
It doesn't matter if I use http or icmp.
And I have no chance to change the settings in the firewall because it's a corporate firewall
where I have no rights.
It would be easyer if it would be possible to turn off the need of pings.

Additional info:
When I use V076 it is no problem to do the downloads. proxy settings are activated.

Hi
I tried using V080, and get the same problem. My company's using Squid as proxy server, but we're not allowed to ping. HTTP Ping brings HTTP/1.0 404 ERROR

Log from WinBuilder Proxy Test:
2010-04-21 12:37:32_574: [ERROR] [984] {TWBInternet} ICMP Ping sourceforge.net:  (EIdInvalidSocket: Cannot allocate socket.)2010-04-21 12:37:33_486: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} Resolve sourceforge.net2010-04-21 12:37:41_789: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping: Get [url="http://HTTP://sourceforge.net/bla.bla"]HTTP://sourceforge.net/bla.bla[/url]2010-04-21 12:37:42_450: [ERROR] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping (EIdHTTPProtocolException: HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found)2010-04-21 12:37:51_677: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping: Get [url="http://HTTP://google.com/bla.bla"]HTTP://google.com/bla.bla[/url]2010-04-21 12:37:51_879: [ERROR] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping (EIdHTTPProtocolException: HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found)2010-04-21 12:37:54_925: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} Resolve google.com2010-04-21 12:37:56_620: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping: Get [url="http://HTTP://google.com/bla.bla"]HTTP://google.com/bla.bla[/url]2010-04-21 12:37:56_631: [ERROR] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping (EIdHTTPProtocolException: HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found)2010-04-21 12:38:03_793: [ERROR] [984] {TWBInternet} ICMP Ping google.com:  (EIdInvalidSocket: Cannot allocate socket.)2010-04-21 12:38:05_765: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping: Get [url="http://HTTP://google.com/bla.bla"]HTTP://google.com/bla.bla[/url]2010-04-21 12:38:05_778: [ERROR] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping (EIdHTTPProtocolException: HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found)2010-04-21 12:38:12_164: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping: Get [url="http://HTTP://updates.boot-land.net/bla.bla"]HTTP://updates.boot-land.net/bla.bla[/url]2010-04-21 12:38:12_609: [ERROR] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping (EIdHTTPProtocolException: HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found)2010-04-21 12:38:15_807: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping: Get [url="http://HTTP://google.com/bla.bla"]HTTP://google.com/bla.bla[/url]2010-04-21 12:38:15_817: [ERROR] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping (EIdHTTPProtocolException: HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found)2010-04-21 12:38:23_021: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping: Get [url="http://HTTP://sourceforge.net/bla.bla"]HTTP://sourceforge.net/bla.bla[/url]2010-04-21 12:38:23_038: [ERROR] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping (EIdHTTPProtocolException: HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found)2010-04-21 15:24:05_157: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping: Get [url="http://HTTP://sourceforge.net/bla.bla"]HTTP://sourceforge.net/bla.bla[/url]2010-04-21 15:24:06_056: [ERROR] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping (EIdHTTPProtocolException: HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found)2010-04-21 15:26:19_587: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} Resolve sourceforge.net2010-04-21 15:26:20_676: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping: Get [url="http://HTTP://sourceforge.net/bla.bla"]HTTP://sourceforge.net/bla.bla[/url]2010-04-21 15:26:20_696: [ERROR] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping (EIdHTTPProtocolException: HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found)2010-04-21 15:26:34_644: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping: Get [url="http://HTTP://sourceforge.net/bla.bla"]HTTP://sourceforge.net/bla.bla[/url]2010-04-21 15:26:34_658: [ERROR] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping (EIdHTTPProtocolException: HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found)2010-04-21 15:26:42_757: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping: Get [url="http://HTTP://updates.boot-land.net/bla.bla"]HTTP://updates.boot-land.net/bla.bla[/url]2010-04-21 15:26:49_628: [ERROR] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping (EIdHTTPProtocolException: HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found)2010-04-21 16:43:24_634: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping: Get [url="http://HTTP://updates.boot-land.net/bla.bla"]HTTP://updates.boot-land.net/bla.bla[/url]2010-04-21 16:43:25_270: [ERROR] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping (EIdHTTPProtocolException: HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found)2010-04-21 16:43:26_138: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} Resolve updates.boot-land.net2010-04-21 16:43:31_804: [ERROR] [984] {TWBInternet} ICMP Ping updates.boot-land.net:  (EIdInvalidSocket: Cannot allocate socket.)2010-04-21 16:43:33_986: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} Resolve updates.boot-land.net2010-04-21 16:43:38_402: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping: Get [url="http://HTTP://updates.boot-land.net/bla.bla"]HTTP://updates.boot-land.net/bla.bla[/url]2010-04-21 16:43:38_406: [ERROR] [984] {TWBInternet} HTTP Ping (EIdHTTPProtocolException: HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found)2010-04-21 16:43:44_930: [DEBUG] [984] {TWBInternet} Resolve updates.boot-land.net

There wouldn't be a problem if the Winbuilder didn't grey out the "Download" box. Is there anything I can do to make this work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users