#1 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:16 AM

Ok,

So here's the story: installed latest Windows AIK (for Windows 7 RC) and get "error mounting source", anything else wasn't changed and imagex works under cmd-prompt but with Winbuilder - no go.. always get error mounting with source. Checked the scripts from error log and variables are created correclty.. for some reason under Winbuilder with shellexecute command Imagex just doesn't want to mount..

So after nearly tearing hair out of my head I reinstall Windows AIK for Windows 7 beta, which I was using previously and it works. Only program that has problems with this is Winbuilder.. Always might be some kind of problem with created usage rights, but I checked those and everything seems ok..?

Repeated same steps, uninstall AIK Beta, reinstall AIK RC, get error, reinstall AIK Beta, no error..

I have to say I'm puzzled about this, anyone got an idea what is causing this?

Using Winbuilder 077 RC1.

#2 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:42 AM

Comment the line

ShellExecute,Hide,"#$q%IMAGEX%#$q","/mount #$q%SDIR%\winpe.wim#$q %pScrollBox1% #$q%BootSRC%#$q"

in PreConfig Script [MountWAIK-imagex]

Peter

#3 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:29 AM

Comment the line

in PreConfig Script [MountWAIK-imagex]

Peter

Not sure what you are referring to? I checked the script and it's ok since it has worked before. The only changed variable here is that I was using a different version of WAIK.

I don't build from WAIK btw, but installation DVD.. I only use it for Imagex, since I run 64bit windows.. hope this clears things up a bit..

I'm building again succesfully with win7 AIK beta, just wondering why a different version of AIK tools don't work with winbuilder since they worked fine from cmd-line..

#4 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:40 AM

Sorry, I misunderstood you and assumed you are installing from WAIK.

Peter

#5 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:40 AM

Could be a Path issue and its not finding dependent dlls. If you start a WAIK command line it adds directories to the path.What happens if you launch winbuilder from the WAIK command line?

#6 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:43 PM

Hmm, didn't try "WAIK command line", will try when I have time, for now WAIK beta works so I use that.

Anyway I can't think what more files would it need, since I can still run imagex from std. cmd line and succesfully mount a wim. Just not with windbuilder shellexecute. This is what doesn't get through to me and makes it difficult to find a solution.. Also why does it work with beta WAIK !? ;)

Anyway, might be something dead simple (problems like this usually are) but just can't think of it atm.

#7 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:54 PM

... I can still run imagex from std. cmd line and succesfully mount a wim. Just not with windbuilder shellexecute.

It is very propable that there is a syntax error in the ShellExecute line (missing or additional quote, space etc...).
Is the reinstalled beta WAIK in the same folder?

Please post the log of the shellextecute line.

Maybe you try this:

[MountWin7-imagex]

Echo,"Mounting Windows Win7 files with imagex.exe..."

ShellExecute,Hide,"#$q%IMAGEX%#$q","/mount #$q%SDIR%\sources\boot.wim#$q %pScrollBox1% #$q%BootSRC%#$q"

If,%ExitCode%,EQUAL,2,Begin

ShellExecute,Hide,"#$q%imagex%#$q","/unmount #$q%BootSRC%#$q"

ShellExecute,Hide,"#$q%IMAGEX%#$q","/mount #$q%SDIR%\sources\boot.wim#$q %pScrollBox1% #$q%BootSRC%#$q"

End

If,%ExitCode%,EQUAL,0,Begin

ShellExecute,Hide,"#$q%IMAGEX%#$q","/mount #$q%SDIR%\sources\install.wim#$q %pScrollBox2% #$q%InstallSRC%#$q"

If,%ExitCode%,EQUAL,2,Begin

ShellExecute,Hide,"#$q%imagex%#$q","/unmount #$q%InstallSRC%#$q"

ShellExecute,Hide,"#$q%IMAGEX%#$q","/mount #$q%SDIR%\sources\install.wim#$q %pScrollBox2% #$q%InstallSRC%#$q"

End

End

If,Not,%ExitCode%,EQUAL,0,Begin

Message,"Mount returned with %ExitCode%",INFORMATION

Halt,"Mount returned with %ExitCode%"

End

I use it here and it works fine.

Peter

#8 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:02 PM

hmm, thx for the script with exitcodes, I don't suspect the script at the moment though since it works with beta and both were installed on same dir.

I still have to check the system files that everything is same file version, it might be that something was still left from beta installation, come to think of it it's the only logical explanation at the moment..

#9 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:07 PM

hmm, thx for the script with exitcodes, I don't suspect the script at the moment though since it works with beta and both were installed on same dir.

I still have to check the system files that everything is same file version, it might be that something was still left from beta installation, come to think of it it's the only logical explanation at the moment..

Can you pass the URL of your RC1 WAIK, then I'll download and try.

There is one situation I do not like at all: Everything works well and nobody knows why.
And here is a similar situation: Everything should work well, and nobody knows why it doesn't do

Peter

#10 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:43 PM

since I run 64bit windows

i can not reproduce exactly what happened at your host (+ i have no x64 host)
but noticed
in the '0-preconfig.script' Version= 010 at the [Process] section surprisingly the first line is this:
If,notExistFile,"%Tools%\wimutil.exe",run,%ScriptFile%,WinUtil
and this WinUtil section will install WimUtil regardless of the %SysType%
but as i know WimUtil is not x64 compatible
(while later in the script there are some %SysType% check)

#11 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:37 AM

Can you pass the URL of your RC1 WAIK, then I'll download and try.

There is one situation I do not like at all: Everything works well and nobody knows why.
And here is a similar situation: Everything should work well, and nobody knows why it doesn't do

Peter

Yeah, might be just my system though so would be nice if someone could test it out.

RC

http://download.micr...5/KB3AIK_EN.iso

Beta

http://download.micr...F/KB3AIK_EN.iso

#12 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:24 AM

I did another test and reinstalled RC. Before this I took a backup of imagex.exe from beta and put it int basedir/project/tools which is in std. win7pe script chosen over WAIK if found. You may guess the result, it worked.. The main reason I believe is that I'm building from Win7 beta and there is a different version of wimmount.sys in system32 than WAIK..

#13 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:28 AM

I just finished download of the two WAIKs.

Do you think it is no longer necessary for me to test?

Peter

#14 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 18 June 2009 - 09:49 AM

Not necessary I think, thanks for your effort anyway psc and sorry if this caused any extra work for you..

I studied the install.wim of Windows 7 a bit further and seems the OS already comes with necessary wim mounting system files (because of DISM.exe that is included with installation) and those clashed with the RC WAIK since my desktop system is still beta..

As most of us already know one can also mount .WIM files with DISM. Although I still prefer Imagex in most cases since I've got used to it and the syntax is more straightforward for just mounting wims. DISM on other hand can do other tasks as well such as integrating drivers etc..

So seems the answer was fairly simple again, DOH!.. Well, I hope this is helpful if anyone comes across similar situation.

#15 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:53 PM

Did one final test and upgraded my system to RC. Now Imagex from RC WAIK works just as it should.

BTW, if someone is still running beta you can easily run upgrade install over it by unpacking the .ISO to a separate dir and modifying the cversion.ini and change the version number to 7000 before running RC setup.. of course this is at your own risk, microsoft didn't intend it to be done so, but at least on my system everything went fine (took backups just in case though).. ;)

#16 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1743 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 18 June 2009 - 11:58 PM

Why would you do something that MS does not test? It you install beta OS then you have to accept some pain. I have been beta testing MS OS since NT 3.51 days. I always reformat between beta versions. When Win7 goes RTM I will do the same and do a clean install.

#17 rehtorix

rehtorix

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
    Finland

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:36 PM

Don't get me wrong, when RTM comes out I will do a clean install. I was prepared to do this with RC as well (that's why I have backups) but I was leaving for summer vacation anyway so decided to do this small test just for fun. ;) I was hoping to skip RC altogether since beta has worked great for me so far, but as we all know beta will stop working soon so it's the same if I come back to a computer shutting down every 2 hours or with upgrade that went wrong, which it didn't so I managed to get away and postpone a clean install until RTM.. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users