#176 liuzhaoyzz

liuzhaoyzz

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:37 AM

Thank you,shao.
I don't like to DIY WINPE core,so I want to find a way to load WINPE external programs in pxe boot,such as map winvblock driver as a floppy and auto-load it.
The other way I mentioned to load winvblock is by F6 floppy disk or just map --mem /winvblock.ima (fd0) and auto-load in grub4dos,or use the method such as memdisk multiple images support.

#177 liuzhaoyzz

liuzhaoyzz

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:45 AM

shao,I viewed the whole post carefully,can winvblock be used in WinPE SP2?I copied ndis.sys and wvblk32.sys to \system32\dirvers in winpe.iso,and modified txtsetup.sif like below,but I can't see grub4dos mem drive or memdisk drive in WINPE,so winpe booted without external programs.What's wrong with it?
[codebox]txtsetup.sif [SetupData] ForceCDRom=1 ForceDiskClass=1 ForceScsi=1 loaderprompt="Starting Windows XPE SP2" OsLoadOptions="/fastdetect /minint /nodebug /WINVBLOCK=BUS=1" [SourceDisksFiles] ... ramdisk.sys=100,,,,,,5_,4,1,,,1,4 wvblk32.sys=100,,,,,,5_,4,1,,,1,4 ... [BootBusExtenders.Load] acpi=acpi.sys acpiec=acpiec.sys isapnp=isapnp.sys pci=pci.sys ndis=ndis.sys [BootBusExtenders] acpi="ACPI Plug & Play Bus Driver",files.acpi,acpi acpiec="ACPI Embedded Controller Driver",files.none,acpiec isapnp="ISA Plug & Play Bus Driver",files.isapnp,isapnp pci="PCI Bus Driver",files.pci,pci ndis="NDIS" [ScsiClass.Load] cdrom=cdrom.sys disk=disk.sys floppy=sfloppy.sys ramdisk=ramdisk.sys wvblk32=wvblk32.sys [SCSI.Load] ... wvblk32=wvblk32.sys,4 [SCSI] ... wvblk32="wvblk32" [ScsiClass] cdrom="SCSI CD-ROM" disk="SCSI Disk" floppy="SCSI Floppy Disk" ramdisk="RAM Disk Driver" wvblk32="wvblk32 driver" [RootDevicesToDelete.clean] ramdisk wvblk32[/codebox] [codebox]menu.lst\default (grub4dos) title WINPE (winpe.iso+winvblock) map --mem (pd)/winpe.iso (0xff) map --hook chainloader (0xff) boot[/codebox] [codebox]pxelinux.cfg\default (pxelinux) UI menu.c32 prompt 0 allowoptions 0 timeout 30 menu title pxelinux boot from PXE

label WINPE (winpe.iso+winvblock)
kernel memdisk raw iso initrd=winpe.iso[/codebox]
If I used firadisk like above,I can see mem drive booted by grub4dos,but can't see memdisk drive booted by pxelinux,what's the difference between winvblock and firadisk?How to use winvblock in winpe at all?

#178 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Booting
  •  
    Canada

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:01 PM

shao,I viewed the whole post carefully,can winvblock be used in WinPE SP2?I copied ndis.sys and wvblk32.sys to \system32\dirvers in winpe.iso,and modified txtsetup.sif like below,but I can't see grub4dos mem drive or memdisk drive in WINPE,so winpe booted without external programs.What's wrong with it?

I've added some of the information from posts #107 and #110 to the first post, regarding WinVBlock support in a PE. I don't know what "WinPE SP2" means, but I fully expect WinVBlock to work with Windows XP and Windows 2003 PEs, regardless of service pack.

If I used firadisk like above,I can see mem drive booted by grub4dos,but can't see memdisk drive booted by pxelinux,what's the difference between winvblock and firadisk?

WinVBlock and FiraDisk have different authors. karyonix is the author of FiraDisk. I believe that a few of the differences are:
  • FiraDisk supports GRUB4DOS RAM disks above the 4 GB line in RAM
  • WinVBlock includes AoE SAN support (which is why we need NDIS.SYS)
  • WinVBlock includes MEMDISK RAM disk support
Both WinVBlock and FiraDisk support GRUB4DOS RAM disks.

How to use winvblock in winpe at all?

Yes I've added the PE information to the first post as an example. Your TXTSETUP.SIF looks like it has other stuff in it, like "..." which was not meant literally. It also has lower-case /WINVBLOCK=BUS=1 instead of upper-case (I can't remember if that makes a difference, but it might). It also has RootDevicesToDelete.clean... What's that?

Are you using a MEMDISK from the WinVBlock archive or from Syslinux > version 3.85? I don't understand your booting scenario 100%. Are you trying to PXE-boot an .ISO? This should be fine. What do you see when it tries to boot? Are you using XP/2003 PE or Vista or Windows 7 PE?

#179 liuzhaoyzz

liuzhaoyzz

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:52 AM

Thank you,shao,for your careful and rapid explain.
It is very necessary to make a tutorial such as added posts #107 and #110 to the first post.WinPE SP2 means WinPE service pack 2,it belongs to WinXP PE.I usually use WinXP PE.It is very small.
I know the main differences between winvblock and firadisk.What puzzled me is the use of winvblock.
My TXTSETUP.SIF omitted some sentences which used "..." for instead.I ignored the upper-case of /WINVBLOCK=BUS=1,I'm sorry for I didn't pay attention to this.I thought that the ram disk driver should work in the same way like MS ramdisk.sys,So I imitated the use of RAMDISK.And in this way,firadisk worked.I puzzled why winvblock didn't work.[RootDevicesToDelete.clean] has ramdisk.
I am using syslinux 3.86 from official site.http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/.Yes I am trying to PXE-boot WinXP PE from a ISO image.Memdisk booted winpe.iso successfully,but I didn't see memdisk ISO optical disk in WinPE,which means WinPE boot without external programs.It is not a "full PE".

#180 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:22 AM

Thank you,shao,for your careful and rapid explain.

I hope it helps.

It is very necessary to make a tutorial such as added posts #107 and #110 to the first post.

I agree. Since you brought up how difficult it was to hunt through the thread for the information, I figured putting it in post #1 was a good idea. I'm glad you agree.

WinPE SP2 means WinPE service pack 2,it belongs to WinXP PE.I usually use WinXP PE.It is very small.

Ok.

I know the main differences between winvblock and firadisk.What puzzled me is the use of winvblock.
My TXTSETUP.SIF omitted some sentences which used "..." for instead.

Ok. I was worried you actually literally put "..." in TXTSETUP.SIF. I'm glad you didn't.

I ignored the upper-case of /WINVBLOCK=BUS=1,I'm sorry for I didn't pay attention to this.

I will double-check the case sensitivity and change it to be case-insensitive if needed.

I thought that the ram disk driver should work in the same way like MS ramdisk.sys,So I imitated the use of RAMDISK.And in this way,firadisk worked.I puzzled why winvblock didn't work.

Well actually, both FiraDisk and WinVBlock work differently than Microsoft's RAMDISK.SYS. The first two drivers are both an HDD controller driver as well as a disk driver. I believe that RAMDISK.SYS is just a disk driver.

[RootDevicesToDelete.clean] has ramdisk.
I am using syslinux 3.86 from official site.http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/.Yes I am trying to PXE-boot WinXP PE from a ISO image.Memdisk booted winpe.iso successfully,

So you mean that Windows completely booted and you have a running environment?

but I didn't see memdisk ISO optical disk in WinPE,which means WinPE boot without external programs.It is not a "full PE".

I am going to take a guess that your .ISO itself is loading a RAM disk. What is in your WINNT.SIF file? I'm guessing that your setup looks like this:
PXE -> PXELINUX -> MEMDISK with PE .ISO -> SETUPLDR -> loads another RAM disk, maybe with /RDEXPORTASCD.

If this is the case, you'd need to inject WinVBlock into the internal RAM disk image. By using two RAM disks like this, you waste RAM. I don't know if that's exactly what you're doing, but we'll find out.

#181 liuzhaoyzz

liuzhaoyzz

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:52 AM

Well actually, both FiraDisk and WinVBlock work differently than Microsoft's RAMDISK.SYS. The first two drivers are both an HDD controller driver as well as a disk driver. I believe that RAMDISK.SYS is just a disk driver.

It is very strange that I modified txtsetup.sif like above then firadisk worked.

I am going to take a guess that your .ISO itself is loading a RAM disk. What is in your WINNT.SIF file? I'm guessing that your setup looks like this:
PXE -> PXELINUX -> MEMDISK with PE .ISO -> SETUPLDR -> loads another RAM disk, maybe with /RDEXPORTASCD.

That's right.But the internal ram is winpe.img,so it doesn't need /RDEXPORTASCD.
WINPE.XPE(=winnt.sif)[SetupData]BootDevice = "ramdisk(0)"BootPath = "\AXPE\System32\"OsLoadOptions = "/minint /fastdetect /rdpath=AXPE\WINPE.IM_"
There is a winpe.im_ in winpe.iso,it is compressed by cab manager.

If this is the case, you'd need to inject WinVBlock into the internal RAM disk image. By using two RAM disks like this, you waste RAM. I don't know if that's exactly what you're doing, but we'll find out.

I decompressed winpe.iso with ULTRAISO,then decompressed winpe.im_ with winrar,then I injected wvblk32.sys into axpe\system32\drivers by WINIMAGE,and modified txtsetup.sif like above,and compressed winpe.img into winpe.im_ by cab manager,then added winpe.im_ and other external programs into winpe.iso with ULTRAISO.If wvblk32.sys worked,I will see all external programs in memdisk optical disk.Well,it is hard to explain.I don't know whether you use WINXP PE like Chinese people.WINPE is improved to be a very powerful tool by Chinese.It can be used to maintain windows system with a lot of tools.
If I added all external programs into winpe.im_,RAMDISK.SYS certainly worked and I can see external programs in WINPE.

#182 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:13 PM

It is very strange that I modified txtsetup.sif like above then firadisk worked.

That's right.But the internal ram is winpe.img,so it doesn't need /RDEXPORTASCD.

This information is very relevant. Please understand that you are using two RAM disks, which is wasteful. Let's pretend the following:
  • "Outer" RAM disk is a MEMDISK .ISO image
  • "Outer" RAM disk is, let's say, 700 MiB
  • "Inner" RAM disk is an {NT/SETUP}LDR+RAMDISK.SYS partition image
  • "Inner" RAM disk is, let's say, 300 MiB
Since the "outer" RAM disk contains the "inner" RAM disk, you need 1,000 MiB of RAM. Now you said you're using .CAB compression, so you probably need even more. You could just as easily have one RAM disk that is an HDD image and just use MEMDISK, without a second SETUPLDR-established RAM disk. Anyway, that choice is entirely yours.

You need to inject WinVBlock into your "inner" RAM disk. Please look for the TXTSETUP.SIF inside the "inner" RAM disk (WINPE.IM_) and not in the "outer" RAM disk (XXX.ISO). Also be sure NDIS.SYS is in the "inner" RAM disk.

The easiest test I think you could do at this point is to see if you have injected WinVBlock correctly. Once your Windows XP SP2 PE is running, open RegEdit and look under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ for WinVBlock or wvblk32. If you don't see it, it wasn't loaded. If it wasn't loaded, it's because TXTSETUP.SIF is wrong or because of a missing dependency, such as NDIS.SYS.

...Well,it is hard to explain.I don't know whether you use WINXP PE like Chinese people.

I haven't met the majority of Chinese people, so I really don't know.

WINPE is improved to be a very powerful tool by Chinese.It can be used to maintain windows system with a lot of tools.
If I added all external programs into winpe.im_,RAMDISK.SYS certainly worked and I can see external programs in WINPE.

I believe I understand. You have an inner RAM disk without any tools, and are hoping to put the tools in the outer RAM disk, which will be a read-only CD/DVD ISO9660 image. While two RAM disks is wasteful of RAM, I understand that you can burn it to disc or PXE-boot the .ISO image, which is convenient.

#183 liuzhaoyzz

liuzhaoyzz

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:32 PM

It is hard to login in boot-land from China.It have too many image elements and script.It is Opera that changed the confition.Well,let's go on the subject.

"Outer" RAM disk is a MEMDISK .ISO image
"Outer" RAM disk is, let's say, 700 MiB
"Inner" RAM disk is an {NT/SETUP}LDR+RAMDISK.SYS partition image
"Inner" RAM disk is, let's say, 300 MiB

Since the "outer" RAM disk contains the "inner" RAM disk, you need 1,000 MiB of RAM. Now you said you're using .CAB compression, so you probably need even more. You could just as easily have one RAM disk that is an HDD image and just use MEMDISK, without a second SETUPLDR-established RAM disk. Anyway, that choice is entirely yours.

My outer RAM is 37.5MB,WINPE.ISO.
My inner RAM is 26.3MB,WINPE.IM_.
My winpe.iso can boot under 128MB memory,and can boot under 160MB with firadisk with two RAM。
If I put external programs into winpe.im_,it can boot with ramdisk.sys,no need for firadisk or winvblock.But if I want to use winpe DIY by others,it is annoying to re-DIY it,I can just use firadisk or winvblock to boot the whole original WINPE.ISO,regardless of the memory wasted,it is just 37.5MB.
And it is very easy to use fbinst(wrote by bean,fbinsttool is GUI by jianliulin) to boot from USB-DISK.USB-DISK made by Fbinst+grub4dos has high success rate in booting winpe.In this mode,we often put winpe.iso into hide partition (ud),and use firadisk or winvblock to boot the whole original ISO image.

You need to inject WinVBlock into your "inner" RAM disk. Please look for the TXTSETUP.SIF inside the "inner" RAM disk (WINPE.IM_) and not in the "outer" RAM disk (XXX.ISO). Also be sure NDIS.SYS is in the "inner" RAM disk.

I am sure I inject WinVBlock into my "inner" RAM disk (WINPE.IM_).TXTSETUP.SIF is inside the "inner" RAM disk (WINPE.IM_) ,NDIS.SYS and wvblk32.sys is inside the "inner" RAM disk (WINPE.IM_) .When winpe booted,I can see them at the right place in ramdisk X:.

Once your Windows XP SP2 PE is running, open RegEdit and look under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ for WinVBlock or wvblk32

I saw HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wvblk32 in winpe.But I didn't see memdisk optical disk.

#184 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

I am sure I inject WinVBlock into my "inner" RAM disk (WINPE.IM_).TXTSETUP.SIF is inside the "inner" RAM disk (WINPE.IM_) ,NDIS.SYS and wvblk32.sys is inside the "inner" RAM disk (WINPE.IM_) .When winpe booted,I can see them at the right place in ramdisk X:.

I saw HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wvblk32 in winpe.But I didn't see memdisk optical disk.

Very good. So now: Which MEMDISK are you using? From the WinVBlock archive download? You can use the MEMDISK from Syslinux 3.86, too.

If you copy winvblk.exe into your inner RAM disk, you could try
X:\>winvblk show
from a DOS box (CLI) in your running environment.

#185 liuzhaoyzz

liuzhaoyzz

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:10 AM

I am using syslinux 3.86 from official site.
http://www.kernel.or.../boot/syslinux/
winvblock is 0.0.1.6 from #155.And I can't download it now.Maybe a network reason or other.
http://www.boot-land...?...st&id=10287
And would you please to put the newest version of winvblock in the first post?It is hard to find.I don't have the compile environment,so the source code is no use for me.I am not a programmer.
http://git.etherboot...0/winvblock.git
X:\axpe\system32>winvblk show
CreateFile (2)

#186 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:02 AM

...winvblock is 0.0.1.6 from #155.And I can't download it now.Maybe a network reason or other.
http://www.boot-land...?...st&id=10287
And would you please to put the newest version of winvblock in the first post? It is hard to find.I don't have the compile environment,so the source code is no use for me.I am not a programmer.

The first post says

You'll find the WinVBlock driver attached to my most recent post.

where "my most recent post" is a link to the post with the download.

X:\axpe\system32>winvblk show
CreateFile (2)

This means that WinVBlock did not establish the \\.\Device\WinVBlock (bus) device, or that the device has been removed. Please reconsider your RootDevicesToDelete.clean section, in case that's a problem. You can use Microsoft's SysInternals' WinObj.exe to verify that \\.\Device\WinVBlock is not available. You can look inside HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\SYSTEM\000X for the WinVBlock bus device. You can use Dependency Walker (depends.exe) to open wvblk32.sys from your running PE environment and make sure that all dependencies are met.

#187 liuzhaoyzz

liuzhaoyzz

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:29 AM

I can't download from your most recent post #105 now.I don't know why.
I deleted [RootDevicesToDelete.clean] wvblk32.
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\SYSTEM\000X
Let me upload the picture.
http://i822.photobuc...z/winvblock.jpg
Posted Image

#188 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:32 AM

0.0.1.6 is still the latest for now.

I deleted [RootDevicesToDelete.clean] wvblk32.

Ok.

#189 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:03 AM

I'm sorry, no, I cannot. :mellow:
Posted Image

#190 liuzhaoyzz

liuzhaoyzz

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:35 AM

Can you see the picture?I renew it.
http://imgsrc.baidu....41c42a75b03.jpg

#191 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:40 AM

It's the exact picture that's in my screen-shot in post #189. Maybe it says something you can read which describes why the picture won't show? Maybe you could try another picture pasting service, such as http://imageshack.us/ ?

#192 liuzhaoyzz

liuzhaoyzz

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:55 AM

I cannot logge in http://imageshack.us/.
Hostname lookup for "imageshack.us" failed

#193 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:04 AM

As of the time of this post, imageshack.us can be found at 208.94.1.72. Hope it helps. If not, maybe another image pasting site can be found.

#194 Icecube

Icecube

Gold Member

• Team Reboot
  • 1063 posts
  •  
    Belgium

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:42 AM

The attachment system is currently disabled:
http://www.boot-land...showtopic=11183

#195 logankrycek

logankrycek
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:29 AM

bueno a probar

#196 logankrycek

logankrycek
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Mexico

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:34 AM

bajar

#197 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:23 PM

bueno a probar

"good for trying"

bajar

"to lower"

Ok.

#198 liuzhaoyzz

liuzhaoyzz

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:58 AM

I uploaded the picture.HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\SYSTEM\000X
I can't run depands.exe in Winpe,an error occurred."Failed to create empty document".I can run it in XP.
In WinObj.exe,I didn't find \\.\Device\WinVBlock.
http://i822.photobuc...z/winvblock.jpg
Posted Image

#199 Sha0

Sha0

WinVBlock Dev

• Developer
  • 1682 posts
  •  
    Canada

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:32 PM

I thought you said this was a Windows XP PE? I see FBWF in there, which is for Windows XP Embedded. Which is it?

#200 liuzhaoyzz

liuzhaoyzz

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
    China

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:08 PM

Yes,it is WIN XP PE.This winpe didn't use FBWF.The inner RAM is IMG format.It is writable without FBWF.This WINPE was downloaded from Microsoft and simplified by some people.
Other WINPEs maybe have ISO format in inner RAM,they need FBWF to make RAM DISK writable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users