#476 Neighbour

Neighbour
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

Hi sha0,

I've recently been working on a universal windows xp pro <language> install iso with all updates and the OEMscan package from Mr Smartepants and all drivers from driverpacks, and I've got it *almost* working.

That is, it works when I burn the iso, but it seems there is something wrong when I use a grub4dos mapped iso in combination with winvblock. Given that the iso is around 3.4GB and that the testmachines do not have that much ram, the iso is not loaded into ram :)

At some point (with the default driverpacks behaviour), the "extra" setup that un7zips the archives seems to slow to a crawl, to an even slower crawl, and then stop...after some time, a STOP 0xEB appears.

Another test I did was to cram all driverpack archives in the $OEM$/$1 dir so that they will be copied during the textmode setup. At some point the copying simply seems to halt. I've let it sit there for 2 hours but there wasn't any change (nor a BSOD, though that might have happened after 2h03m, I didn't wait that long).

My observation is that something is not going right when copying large amounts of data from a large sector-mapped (at least I think that it's sector-mapped) image. Can you confirm this?

I really would like to finalize an USB-drive filled with all winxp pro/home <languages of choice> install iso's with all updates, for all possible OEMs and with all available drivers :)

#477 Raees Iqbal

Raees Iqbal
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Windows XP Pro 64bit on VHD, Multiboot Win 8.1, Win 7 VHD, Win XP VHD, & Ubuntu 13.10 VHD.
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 11 April 2014 - 02:57 PM

Hi there, thank you at first for developing such a wonderful and helpful driver "WinVBlock". I'm trying to install Windows XP in a VHD according to this article. Things go very well for 32bit edition of Windows XP Professional but when I try the same method for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, I get BSOD with 0x7b error (about hard-driver controllers i guess). Its been more than a month and half for me with this issue, I couldnt register on this website because of that silly error telling me that I havent answered the security question, which I surely had and then I managed to register using a CGI proxy and my twitter profile. Please guide me with this issue, that would be really really relieving if I successfully managed to install the x64 bit edition. And for the better information I'm installing it on an Intel 8 Series chipset by using modded driver that works just fine, (i've tested both x86 and x64 editions). I'm a web designer & developer and know just a little about GRUB and I'm using NeoGrub provided by EasyBCD to multiboot it with Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (VHD) and Ubuntu 13.10 (WUBI) and the WinVBlock is DriverVer=02/14/2011,0.0.0.8.

title Boot  Windows XP Professional
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /winxp.vhd
map /winxp.vhd (hd0)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

title Start -  TXT-mode XP Setup
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /winxp.iso
map /winxp.iso (0xff)
map --rd-size=2048
map --mem (rd)+4 (0x55)
map --e820cycles=0
map --hook
write (0x55) #!GRUB4DOS\x00v=1\x00/winxp.iso\x00\xff\x00
map /winxp.vhd (hd0)
map --e820cycles=0
map --rehook
chainloader (0xff)

title Continue GUI-mode XP Setup
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /winxp.iso
map /winxp.iso (0xff)
map --rd-size=2048
map --mem (rd)+4 (0x55)
map --hook
write (0x55) #!GRUB4DOS\x00v=1\x00/winxp.iso\x00\xff\x00
map /winxp.vhd (hd0)
map --rehook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

Thanks in advanced, and please help me fix the problem.

#478 Raees Iqbal

Raees Iqbal
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Windows XP Pro 64bit on VHD, Multiboot Win 8.1, Win 7 VHD, Win XP VHD, & Ubuntu 13.10 VHD.
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 13 April 2014 - 03:36 AM

For hydeist, pejenn, and anyone else who has the same problem.

ok I tried to integrate WinVBlk.inf as driver on nlite but I'm getting errors
XJyk7.jpg

fwinvblock2.png
Has anyone here successfully integrated the driver into a 64-bit win xp, and if so, could you post your WinVBlk.INF and txtsetup.oem file contents. Thanks.

Peace be upon both of you hydeist & pejenn, I fixed this problem by opening up the INF files and txtsetup.oem in Notepad++ and Edit->Blank Operations->Tim Trailing Spaces, and removing the empty line between line 25 and 27 (Hardware Ids of 32bit and 64bit).
When using nLite with 64bit version, it will die again with BOSD on Partition Selection with 0x7b error about hard-drive controller, I think the driver is not compatible with 64bit version of Windows.
And even if you use an IMA file as floppy, and try to install 64bit version it will give you an error that "WinvBlk32.sys could not be loaded". Its strange that, it requires a WinvBlk32.sys even when I'm installing 64bit version. I used this tutorial.

Now lets talk about 32bit version of Windows, when using the image created by nLite, it will sucessfully pass the TXT Setup and the VHD will be detected as first HDD (which is not the case when you IMA file with driver). But I get a BSOD when booting Windows for 2nd setup saying "process1_initialization_failed" i think. But i also remember with a doubt that it was installed successfully.
When using IMA driver file as floppy and installing TXT Setup, VHD will not be detected as first HDD but Windows will install without any error, but the device driver will be installed as Unknown Device (without any error, or question mark, status: device is working properly). But after you install some programs, especially drivers and restart, booting with endup with a BSOD saying that "pfn_list_corrupt".

I've recently read a reply from user "davlk" on a topic (i'm unable to find the link to it), where he said that after adding REG file (found as "HKLM_systemdst_Add_XP.reg" in the IMG_XP package \ makebt \ registry_tweaks) execution on every shutdown via gpedit.msc policy, he was able to avoid pfn_list_corrupt error. But when I tried to do the same, it would give me an error that the script "cannot access registry", I think that was because it wanted to change core settings about Paging file, Prefetch & Devices in HKLM and more.

I'm trying to do this on a 10 GB VHD on third primary partition, booting it with NeoGrub provided by EasyBCD. I already have Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (VHD) and a Ubuntu 13.10 (Wubi VDisk) running fine. So, this is the only one left. I have an Intel 8 Series mobile chipset, so, its necessary for me to add modded TXT SATA drivers. If anyone succeeds in solving this riddle, please tell and guide me as soon as possible.

and I really think the driver has serious issues, so, I'll request Shao to please try to fix them, and also post a guide about compiling the driver from source on his GitHub repo as the zip attached with your post didnt include the 64bit version. I get this error, "make: *** No rule to make target `src/portable.h', needed by `src/loader/obj/loader32.o'.  Stop." when trying to make the driver source.

#479 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15104 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:40 AM

and I really think the driver has serious issues, so, I'll request Shao to please try to fix them

If you only READ this topic, you might have found this:

http://reboot.pro/to...block/?p=175671

at least for XP64 the driver in winvblock.ima.gz on Steve6375's site works fine.

And, JFYI, Neogrub does NOT exist, it is a "ripoff" or "plain renaming" of grub4dos:

http://reboot.pro/to...a-bcd/?p=162186

:duff:

Wonko

#480 Raees Iqbal

Raees Iqbal
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

at least for XP64 the driver in winvblock.ima.gz on Steve6375's site works fine.

Forgive my ignorance about the topic but if you include that IMA file as floppy and try to install x64 Edition, it will give you an error that "iaStor.sys" is not compatible with x64 architecture and was created for x86 edition Windows because the IMA also packages SATA drivers for newer Intel chipsets. And if you rename the current txtsetup.oem to something else and "WinVBlock_TXTSETUP_orig.OEM" to txtsetup.oem, it will give you the same error as the IMA file with "VHD_XP_Setup" packge, "winvblk32.sys could not be loaded". Please guide me if I'm missing something.

#481 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15104 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:02 PM

Forgive my ignorance about the topic but if you include that IMA file as floppy and try to install x64 Edition, it will give you an error that "iaStor.sys" is not compatible with x64 architecture and was created for x86 edition Windows because the IMA also packages SATA drivers for newer Intel chipsets. And if you rename the current txtsetup.oem to something else and "WinVBlock_TXTSETUP_orig.OEM" to txtsetup.oem, it will give you the same error as the IMA file with "VHD_XP_Setup" packge, "winvblk32.sys could not be loaded". Please guide me if I'm missing something.

It is possible that the OEM files are not "detecting" the X64 drivers?

Try using this as TXTSETUP.OEM

[Disks]
disk = "WinVBlock Driver Disk",\WinVBlk.inf,\

[Defaults]
scsi = WinVBlock64

[scsi]
WinVBlock64 = "WinVBlock Bus (64-bit)"

[Files.scsi.WinVBlock64]
driver = disk,WVBlk64.Sys,WinVBlock
inf = disk,WinVBlk.Inf
catalog = disk,WinVBlk.Cat

[Config.WinVBlock]
value="",TxtSetupInstalled,REG_DWORD,1

[HardwareIds.scsi.WinVBlock64]
id="ROOT\WINVBLOCK","WinVBlock"
id="Detected\WinVBlock","WinVBlock"

And this as WINVBLOCK.INF:

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
Class=SCSIAdapter
ClassGUID={4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Provider=WinVBlock
CatalogFile=winvblk.cat
DriverVer=02/14/2011,0.0.0.8

[Manufacturer]
WinVBlock=WinVBlockDriver

[SourceDisksNames]
0="Install Disk"

[SourceDisksFiles]
winvblk.exe=0
wvblk64.sys=0

[DestinationDirs]
Files.Driver=12
Files.Tools=11

[Files.Tools]
winvblk.exe

[PdoDone]
HKR,,PdoDone,0x00010001,1

[BootStart]
HKR,,Start,0x00010001,0

[StartService]
11,,winvblk.exe,2

[WinVBlockDriver]
"WinVBlock Bus"=WinVBlock,Root\WinVBlock, Detected\WinVBlock

[Files.Driver]
wvblk64.sys

[WinVBlock]
CopyFiles=Files.Driver,Files.Tools

[WinVBlock.Services]
AddService=WinVBlock,0x00000002,Service

[DefaultInstall]
CopyINF=WinVBlk.INF
CopyFiles=File.Driver,Files.Tools
RegisterDlls=StartService

[DefaultInstall.Services]
AddService=WinVBlock,0x00000002,Service

[Service]
ServiceType=0x00000001
StartType=0x00000002
ErrorControl=0x00000001
ServiceBinary=%12%\wvblk64.sys
LoadOrderGroup=SCSI miniport
AddReg=BootStart

and see what happens.

Wonko

#482 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:WinXP, Debian, OpenWrt, gPXE, iPXE, BIOS, EFI, Coreboot, MS VirtualPC, VMware
  •  
    European Union

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

...it will give you the same error as the IMA file with "VHD_XP_Setup" packge, "winvblk32.sys could not be loaded". Please guide me if I'm missing something.

I also have problem with wvblk32.sys load from floppy image F6 while install WinXP. To resolve this i had integrate WinVBlock driver to ISO image :-) -> http://reboot.pro/to...block-grub4dos/

#483 Raees Iqbal

Raees Iqbal
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:40 PM

see what happens.

The drivers will load correctly without that "winvblk32.sys could not be loaded" but it will crash on the partition selection menu with BSOD 0x7b (hard-drive controllers), same as when we try to integrate it with nLite or manually.

To resolve this i had integrate WinVBlock driver to ISO image :-) -> http://reboot.pro/to...block-grub4dos/

and same is the case for the solution you suggested.

I've uploaded a ZIP containing my "winblock.ima" and "menu.lst" to my VPS at steelbrain.com.pk/temp/winvblock.zip , please have a look.

#484 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 15104 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

I don' t know :(.

I don't have a 64 bit system/OS handy to test, but the mentioned report by Zoso seemed to imply that the issue was just with the installation, and not with the driver, whilst reboot12 post seems to be referring to the 32 bit version only. :unsure:

Zoso, however makes a reference ("vague", i.e. without providing a link to it) to an "winvblock install cmd" by Steve6375.

Maybe he was (improperly) referring to the menu.lst entries here:

http://reboot.pro/to...block/?p=123297

BTW, it is also possible that - if you need also a AHCI/SATA driver and you haven't slipstreamed/integrated it, the 0x0000007b is coming from it (or even from the NTDETECT.COM, if you are booting from USB).

It is also well possible that *something* is missing in the .oem or .inf file, what I would do to check what is happening is the following.:

• make a "normal" install of XP64 (without the Winvblock F6 files)
  • make a Registry snapshot
  • install "normally" Winvblock by right clicking the .inf file
  • check it is installed properly
  • make a second Registry snapshot
  • make a .reg file from the difference
  • then restore the previous Registry, try re-installing the driver through the .reg file, verify it works
  • finally if all the above is OK, use the AEK's inftoreg to create a new .reg from the (original .inf): http://www.mdgx.com/files/INFTOREG.ZIP and see if it gives the same result.
  • adjust it if needed and try using the .inf in the F6 floppy

Finally, the menu.lst you have in the file you posted uses this "trick":

http://reboot.pro/to...block/?p=101891

to allow booting from a directly mapped .iso (as opposed to a memory mapped one).

Since memory should not be a problem on a 64bit machine, you may also want to try (as in the post by Steve6375 referred above) to use - for tests - memory mapping of the .iso, and see if this allow you to go past the 0x0000007b.

Wonko

#485 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:WinXP, Debian, OpenWrt, gPXE, iPXE, BIOS, EFI, Coreboot, MS VirtualPC, VMware
  •  
    European Union

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

... but the device driver will be installed as Unknown Device (without any error, or question mark, status: device is working properly). But after you install some programs, especially drivers and restart, booting with endup with a BSOD saying that "pfn_list_corrupt".

Unknow Device and PFN_LIST_CORRUPT is resolved in new WinVBlk.INF file. Please read this threads:
http://reboot.pro/to...os/#entry183447
http://reboot.pro/to...-20#entry183596
I test install WinXP SP2 in MS VirtualPC 2007 - time install ~15 min :1st:  :clap:
5291422m.png

menu.lst
title Instalacja WinXP z ISO w obrazie IMG - Faza I TXT-Setup
map /dummy.img (hd0)
map --mem /xp.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)/I386/SETUPLDR.BIN

title Instalacja WinXP z ISO w obrazie IMG - Faza II GUI-Setup
map /dummy.img (hd0)
map --mem /xp.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

title Uruchom WinXP z obrazu IMG (tryb 1 bez --mem, odczyt/zapis)
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /dummy.img
map /dummy.img (hd0)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr
P.S. xp.iso need map with --mem option otherwise get an error BSOD C5

Edited by reboot12, 14 July 2015 - 08:35 PM.

#486 Raees Iqbal

Raees Iqbal
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:21 PM

Hello, thanks for the guidance. I tried to install the driver, using nLite integrated version, VHD was detected as first HDD, which was good but it gave as BSOD on 2nd step. Then by using driver from floppy, the VHD wasnt detected as first but both of the steps were completed successfully. When I tried to boot, it would restart without any error. I was able to login to Safe Mode and saw that the WinVBlock was installed as an "Unknown Device".  :cold:

#487 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 231 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:45 AM

Which GRUB4DOS version you are using? I use 0.4.4 2008-12-29 on RAW disk image in VHD image in MS VPC2007.

5295099m.png

#488 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 231 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

For integration WinVBlock driver using nLite best to use this my fixed x86 version - WinVBlock_x86_TXT.zip

The driver features:
  • is cleaned for use only TXT mode and x86
  • in files txtsetup.oem and winvblk.inf delete unwanted spaces that cause an error in the nLite
  • winvblk.inf file has registry settings - Disable Prefetcher and Disable AutoReboot options for prevent PFN_LIST_CORRUPT after install WinXP to RAW image.
P.S. Link deleted because make new fix to driver.

Edited by reboot12, 14 July 2015 - 08:38 PM.

#489 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 231 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:03 AM

I made a text-mode driver for WinXP x64 - WinVBlock_x64_TXT.zip

The driver has the same features as the x86 version but it only works during the installation on the hard drive. During installation into dummy.img image Windows Setup load driver but stops at the blue screen -> read this.

#490 Blackcrack

Blackcrack

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 412 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:00 AM

it is possible for creating an Gui in Control center, for hanging on disks AoE or creating Ramfiles and so on like imdisk and something .. ?

maybe with an pluginfs for creating addon's or something like add/creating at boot temp-disk's where can be fast delete be shutting down or

disk's in the ram, where creating at boot and be using as tmp/temp by system & maybe  as user

(useraccount tmp / redirecting %tmp% && %temp%, from the system and the user by start of the system),

if the stream goes off, be all tmp/temp files directly deleted and the System starts totally fresh, without telltale information where

anyone use for something.. how ever..

maybe a plug-in (in the control center-control vor Win-vblockdriver) 

where can copy the whole Windows at boot mirroring in the Ram and work with this..... if it's works, if it' possible ..

( i mean therewith, if the plugin enable, copy/mirroring all needed files in the Ram, where be active and need by applications by switching

on the plugin and if power down/the system shutting down, flush the System in the ram to the nirvana and it's deleted immediately...

at next boot, create an ram, copy all needed in the ram again and the saved work on usb-disk or sdcard can used again and can

work further.. and at next boot can cleaned up the ram with the system again and therewith have we are an system where it's ever clean on hdd ;) )

only some idea *s* if it's possible, want be really cool !

best regards

Blacky

#491 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 231 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:07 PM

I made F6 floppy WinVBlock driver x86 & x64: winvblock.ima, please test and comment.

#492 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7107 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:51 PM

With a Hirens 15.2 ISO named as .isowinvh  on E2B v1.52 - it boots successfully in a VBox VM with a SATA controller.

If I substitute \_ISO\e2b\grub\winvblock.img.gz with your new  winvblock.ima file  (rename it to winvblock.img.gz) then I get a BSOD :(

#493 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 231 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:15 AM

With a Hirens 15.2 ISO named as .isowinvh on E2B v1.52 - it boots successfully in a VBox VM with a SATA controller.
If I substitute \_ISO\e2b\grub\winvblock.img.gz with your new winvblock.ima file (rename it to winvblock.img.gz) then I get a BSOD :(

You can not just change the extension .IMA to .GZ. My image is not compress GZIP - this is RAW floppy image. If you want to use the format GZ must first compress winvblock.ima

Please test my driver with vanilla WinXP ISO's, HBCD is not good for test.

I compare my winvblock.ima and yours and found differences: wvblk32.sys and wvblk64.sys - different versions WinVBlock.
In my winvblock,ima I use .SYS files from this stable version from thread: WinVBlock 0.0.1.8 - this version not support ISO Sector mapped (only map --mem)

Now test your winvblock.ima in MS VPC 2007 vm RAM 256MB with sector-mapped ISO (direct map). I noticed that this is very slow and Windows Setup TXT-Mode copy files is not stable, hangs for long time while copy some files e.g. 44% wowfax.dll (at the moment is still going to copy files) :-(

My driver version is cleaned, stable, tested for many combinations with WinXP.iso and no any BSOD, hangs, crash etc.

Note1: My drivers have deleted [CopyFiles] sections in INF file and not possible install in working WinXP. This is only for use with F6_floppy image or for integrate to ISO with nLite.

Note2: My drivers F6_floppy have only WinVBlock x86 & x64 - no have SATA and firadisk drivers !

Edited by reboot12, 13 July 2014 - 12:39 AM.

#494 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7107 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars, www.easy2boot.com
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

You can not just change the extension .IMA to .GZ. My image is not compress GZIP - this is RAW floppy image. If you want to use the format GZ must first compress winvblock.ima

Yes, you can! grub4dos auto-decompresses a gzipped file, the extension is irrelevant. grub4dos detects the bytes at the beginning of the file to determine if the file is compressed or not.

Note2: My drivers F6_floppy have only WinVBlock x86 & x64 - no have SATA and firadisk drivers !

Same as \_ISO\e2b\grub\winvblock.img.gz - it only has winvblock drivers. This is use for LiveXPPE ISOs like hirens without needing to load the iso into memory and it works.

#495 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 231 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

Yes, you can! grub4dos auto-decompresses a gzipped file, the extension is irrelevant. grub4dos detects the bytes at the beginning of the file to determine if the file is compressed or not.

Yes, of course I know that GRUB4DOS supports images compressed with GZIP but my winvblock.ima is RAW format and changing the extension. IMA. to GZ will not make the image can be compressed - you need use GZIP tool for Linux or Windows :-)

Please test my WinVBlock drivers for WinXP installation with GRUB4DOS like this:

• map direct or to RAM any floppy image + nLite integrated WinVBlock to ISO

or

• my F6_image + vanilla WinXP.ISO from any media - PXELINUX (pd), (hd), pendrive

Please use menu.lst similar to this:

title TXT-Setup WinXP - phase 1\n RAM-ISO to HDD
map --mem (pd)/images/winvblock.ima (fd0)
map --mem (hd0,4)/xp.iso (0xff)
map --hook
chainloader (0xff)/I386/SETUPLDR.BIN

title GUI-Setup WinXP - phase 2\n RAM-ISO to HDD
map --mem (pd)/images/winvblock.ima (fd0)
map --mem (hd0,4)/xp.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (hd0,0)
chainloader /ntldr

Note: For USB test please add map swap disk command (hd0) and (hd1) because USB disk is (hd0)

P.S. My drivers not support Direct map ISO images - only --mem

Edited by reboot12, 13 July 2014 - 09:51 AM.

#496 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7107 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

As I already said, I used your new driver for E2B DPMS XP install and it worked. E2B DPMS install does not use a pre-made floppy image, it creates it's own floppy image in memory. Your new driver does work when installing XP.

There are two pre-made floppy images in E2B

• newWinVBlock.ima.gz  - used for XP install - user must press F6 and load drivers manually - contains firadisk and WinVBlock
  • winvblock.img.gz - used for Hirens\MiniXP\XPPE ISO loading

I have not yet tested your new driver in newWinVBlock.ima.gz...

#497 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7107 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

I tried substituting your new driver in place of newWinVBlock.ima.gz by replacing the files inside with your driver files and then using F6 to select the WinVBlock driver manually (i.e. not using DPMS).

Result was that as long as you loaded the ISO into memory then it worked OK (using VBox IDE VM). :D

However, it did not work (BSOD) if you did not load the ISO into memory (as expected).

When I returned to the original F6 newWinVBlock.ima.gz as used in E2B, I could install XP from ISO without loading the XP ISO into memory in both Step 1 text mode and Step 2 GUI mode boots.

That was the whole point of using WinVBlock in E2B - the WinVBlock early driver had the advantage that you did not need to use --mem (even though it only works on some systems) to install from an XP ISO which is why I give the choice of using firadisk and/or winvblock - so that people with old IDE systems with less than 512MB of RAM can at least try to install XP from an ISO using the old winvblock driver.

So I will stick to using the old winvblock floppy image for E2B (but I will use your new driver for the DPMS install).

Thanks

Steve

#498 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 231 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

With a Hirens 15.2 ISO named as .isowinvh  on E2B v1.52 - it boots successfully in a VBox VM with a SATA controller.
If I substitute \_ISO\e2b\grub\winvblock.img.gz with your new  winvblock.ima file  (rename it to winvblock.img.gz) then I get a BSOD :(

Please write which exactly BSOD you get? Probably this is not WinVBlock issue only GRUB4DOS menu.lst. If this is BSOD C5 or 0A it means that the ISO image is mapped directly and as I wrote my driver does not support this mode - only mapping to RAM.
Now I download Easy2Boot_v.1.52_DPMS and I look content of files: _ISO\e2b\grub\XPStep1.g4b, XPStep2.g4b and XPStep2LowRam.g4b

This menus is very advanced and not understandable but from what I see is the same as menu.lst in the your Tutorial 30. I do not understand a few things:
- why you need map winvblock.ima.gz twice for (fd0) and for (fd1) ???
- I understand that during the installation WinXP on SATA drives are needed at least two drivers: for ISO image need WinVBlock or Firadisk and for SATA disk AHCI driver
- but not understand for what you use WinVBlock+Firadisk together ???

#499 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 7107 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

- why you need map winvblock.ima.gz twice for (fd0) and for (fd1) ???

Some systems that already have a floppy disk don't allow grub4dos to map an image to the same drive (it was reported to me) - I use fd0 and fd1 just to make it work on as many systems as possible

- I understand that during the installation WinXP on SATA drives are needed at least two drivers: for ISO image need WinVBlock or Firadisk and for SATA disk AHCI driver, but not understand for what you use WinVBlock+Firadisk together ???

This is to allow the user to use F6 and select both firadisk and winvblock and SATA driver - sometimes this fixes a BSOD problem - as there are two virtual floppy disks, I can only have two drivers, not all three - so the user must use F6 and manually select all 3 drivers.

#500 reboot12

reboot12

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 231 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

I'm interested in the direct mapping of the ISO image + WinVBlock. Please explain to me in detail what happens in the mode STEP 2A FOR LOW RAM.
1. Why map ISO as (0xA0) and not as (0xFF) ?
2. What is the purpose checkrange, rd and write commands ?

Thx, Regards
title INSTALL XP - STEP 2A FOR LOW RAM SYSTEMS (FASTER) - direct ISO map\nDoes not work on some systems - e.g. some Atom CPU based netbooks
map --mem /winvblock.ima.gz (fd0)
map --mem /winvblock.ima.gz  (fd1)
map /XP.iso (0xA0)
checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && map (hd0) (hd1)
checkrange 0x80 read 0x8280 && map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
map --rd-size=2048
map --mem (rd)+4 (0x55)
map --rehook
write (0x55) #!GRUB4DOS\x00v=1\x00XP.iso\x00\xA0\x00
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd0)+1
pause Keep the USB drive connected until Setup completes!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users