• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Bonehead

Bonehead

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 09:39 PM

Hi
Ihave been working through a problem in another thread (in the tftpd32 section and I think it is now time to ask in a more general area. Sorry if this isnt in the right place.

Ive got a few ASUS R1600 server that have no hard or floppy drives but can be booted from the NIC. I have got this sorted out now and can boot a UBCD4WIN image on the server. I have managed to install a partition on the scsi C: drive wich seems to work OK, what I need to do now is make it boot from that drive and install XP on to it.

I have networking running so can copy any files onto the C: drive OK.

I tried running winnt32.exe whilst working from the UBCD, it ran fine until it went to the part when it reboots the PC, it copied all the files onto the C drive. It didnt shut the server down so I rebooted it. But when I try to boot to the c: drive it fails.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do next?

TIA for any help or suggestions.

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:54 AM

Bonehead,
the general idea of a Tutorial section is to publish in there Tutorials, NOT asking in there support. :D

But when I try to boot to the c: drive it fails.

As always, "it fails" is not a description of what happens, which is needed in order to hopefully find the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do next?

YES. :D
http://homepages.tes...no-answers.html

;)

jaclaz

#3 Bonehead

Bonehead

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 04:12 PM

Im sorry if I posted it in the wrong place, I couldnt really find anywhere suitable, or so I thought.

THis is what I have done.
Booted UBCD4WIN over network.
Partitioned the scsi drive. c: (3.5 gig) D: 30 gig.
Set C: as active partition
Formated both fat 32
Copied my xp cd into D:\xp
run winnt32.exe
That runs fine and copies required files (i guess :D) to the c: drive. Then it will obviously want to reboot as the xp install page disapears leaving just the ubcd4win desktop running. I reboot the pc telling it via bios to boot from scsi but it hangs saying that it is booting from the hd0 drive but there is no drive activity.

I have searched all day but found nothing of any help. I guess I am missing some file or maybe a MBR problem, but I am stuck.

Thanks
and sorry once again for posting in the wrong place.

#4 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  • Interests:Boot and Install from USB
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 25 May 2009 - 05:45 PM

I reboot the pc telling it via bios to boot from scsi but it hangs saying that it is booting from the hd0 drive but there is no drive activity.

Most likely you are missing the MBR BootCode in Harddisk 0

Use MbrFix.exe from a command prompt

MbrFix /drive 0 fixmbr /yes

MbrFix.exe is also included in U_XP_SET package.
Download: http://wimb.winbuild...ds/U_XP_SET.exe

Also Integrate in your XP SOURCE BTS DriverPack Massstorage with TXT Mode Enabled.

From http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5306

Use BTS DriverPacks http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/
For Install of XP on a modern system with SATA Drives it is needed to use DPsBase.exe for Integrating in your XPSOURCE BTS DriverPack Massstorage with TXT Mode Enabled.
In that case a lot of Extra RAID SCSI and SATA Drivers (about 120 extra) are Integrated which appear in the XP Setup BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT on Install-Drive and can prevent a lot of XP Install Boot Problems.

#5 cdob

cdob

Gold Member

• Expert
  • 1469 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:37 PM

THis is what I have done.

Copied my xp cd into D:\xp

Why do you copy files to partition d: ?

run winnt32.exe

How do you run winnt32?
Use command line options, set tempdrive and syspart.

#6 Bonehead

Bonehead

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

Why do you copy files to partition d: ?
How do you run winnt32?
Use command line options, set tempdrive and syspart.

I created a second partition on the drive to store files on so it wouldnt be using the network all the time. Im booting the server using ubcd4win over the network (PXE). I then use the network to copy the the files to the d: partiton, run winnt32 from there. it extracts allthe files to the c: drive then stops (presume this is the stage where windows reboots the pc if you are installing from a CD).

Ill go and read up on syspart and tempdrive.

#7 Bonehead

Bonehead

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:50 PM

I included the driverpacks in the ubcd4win image I created. WHen I boot that accross the network I can see the C: drive ok and it lets me use the partition tools etc on it.

I guess the problem is when I run winnt32 and install the contents of a xp cd directly onto the c: drive it isnt the same as hitting F6 on a normal install so the drivers arent there when i reboot the server to complete the xp install from the hard drive.

Is there a way to get an image on the drive that will work? Sorry if I have misunderstood, Im finding this hard work, but learning slowly :D

#8 Bonehead

Bonehead

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:16 PM

Am I right in thinking if I use livexp rather than the ubcd4win that I can get something installed on my C: drive that I can use to install XP on the hard drive? Im busy reading through the threads now it looks good:)

I cant boot the server from anything other than network or a usb floppy (which I dont have anyhow). I do have a 2 gig usb stick though, i did try using that with dos filesonit but it isnt recognised. Having had a poke around the asus forums it seems that no one else has managed to use a stick to boot the servers either.

There is a combo scsi cd and floppy drive that was made for these servers but they are as rare as rocking horse poop. Hence trying to install over the network.

#9 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:08 AM

Am I right in thinking if I use livexp rather than the ubcd4win that I can get something installed on my C: drive that I can use to install XP on the hard drive?

Yes, you can Install LiveXP as boot option on your C Harddisk and then boot with LiveXP from RAMDISK.

Before everything:
Use DPsBase.exe for Integrating in your XP SOURCE BTS DriverPack Massstorage with TXT Mode Enabled.
So DriverPacks must be integrated in XP Source that you use for Install of XP.

#10 Bonehead

Bonehead

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:30 AM

Yes, you can Install LiveXP as boot option on your C Harddisk and then boot with LiveXP from RAMDISK.

Before everything:
Use DPsBase.exe for Integrating in your XP SOURCE BTS DriverPack Massstorage with TXT Mode Enabled.
So DriverPacks must be integrated in XP Source that you use for Install of XP.

:D THanks a bunch! Im off to give it a go. If I get this sorted today I will be a very happy person. It all looks very complicated rading through the tutorials etc on here though. I havent found an option anywhere to add the driverpacks but I will keep reading and looking.

Thanks for your replies!

#11 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:35 AM

Download DPsBase and DP MassStorage from
http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/

Run DPsBase.exe to Slipstream DP MassStorage with TXT Mode Enabled in your XP Source folder on Harddisk.

#12 Bonehead

Bonehead

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:41 AM

Download DPsBase and DP MassStorage from
http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/

Run DPsBase.exe to Slipstream DP MassStorage with TXT Mode Enabled in your XP Source folder on Harddisk.

THanks wimb, I already have that downloaded and am doing that now. I used it withthe bartpe and ubcd4win programs I tried.

Just a quick question should I use method 1 or 2 to slipstream the files? I'll try one to start with and see how that goes, I have been using method 2 before.

#13 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:11 AM

Yes, Method 2 is the best to select. :D

#14 Bonehead

Bonehead

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:21 AM

Yes, Method 2 is the best to select. :D

Thanks.

I am getting variosu errors about virus threats as I run winbuilder which I am ignoring (eek!) and i got errors like this too:
FileCopy - Failed to copy [%BaseDir%\Workbench\Common\DPs\MassStorage\decompression\DPs-MassStorageDrivers.script] to: [%BaseDir%\Projects\LiveXP\Drivers\4 Storage]

Im going to recreate my source directory from my CD as I am not sure if I used nlite to slipstream service pack 2 into it (i did it a few days ago). I have winxp with SP1 already built into the dvd.

#15 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:35 AM

WinBuilder errors are avoided by switching off AntiVirus Scanner and Firewall.

Also use Clean Temporary files button.

#16 Bonehead

Bonehead

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:42 AM

WinBuilder errors are avoided by switching off AntiVirus Scanner and Firewall.

Also use Clean Temporary files button.

I read your post saying clean temporary files button wimb but couldnt find it :D Ill look again, thanks so much for your help!

edit: ..... found it lol

#17 Bonehead

Bonehead

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:21 AM

Im getting there slowly :D

Im still getting errors 19 like this one:

CabExtract - Failed to expand file: [D:\xpsp1\i386\xmlp_fcd.xd_] to: [D:\temp\test\New Folder\i386\Provisioning\Schemas]

Ive created an iso though so I will try and boot it using pxe just to test and see what happens........... guess what it didnt work LOL

viaide.sys could not be found. Back to the drawing board LOL

#18 Bonehead

Bonehead

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 12:45 PM

Well i tried again, and it is just finishing the creatin of livexp this time it seems with no errors, and it started ok on my desktop on the laptop.

I wish I had found this before i started messing with some of the other pe's Ive tried :D It is complicated to an 'outsider' like me even though I have got quite a few years of system building and server admining behind me. I guess Im just getting too old LOL.

#19 Bonehead

Bonehead

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 01:44 PM

Still no luck. Im building an ISO so I can run it via the network with tftpd32, which works ok with ubcd4win.

The image gets loaded into the ramdrive on the server, and it starts to run but then I get a blue screen that looks like a hard drive problem. Im wondering if I need to add the drivers to my xpsp2 base directory using dps_base.exe as looking through winbuilders drivers tab there is an option selected to install mass storage devices in there too.

#20 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:11 PM

Which LiveXP version do you use ?
You can try also lxppAcx.exe from folder Portable of amalux
http://amalux.winbuilder.net/
This LiveXP has the most recent DriverPack MassStorage already build-in.

Try to Create BootSDI.img instead of ISO.

Install LiveXP BootSDI.img as boot option on your Harddisk C: Bootdrive using BOOT_IMG.exe

Boot from RAMDISK in 30 sec with LiveXP loaded in few seconds from C-Harddisk into RAMDISK X:

When in RAMDISK you can do anything with C-Harddisk, even FORMAT and preparing for XP setup by running USB_XP_Setup.exe is allowed.

#21 Bonehead

Bonehead

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:19 PM

Install LiveXP BootSDI.img as boot option on your Harddisk C: Bootdrive using BOOT_IMG.exe

Boot from RAMDISK in 30 sec with LiveXP loaded in few seconds from C-Harddisk into RAMDISK X:

Im using winbuilder 076 and xpv.83 at least that is what it says when I view it on the program. I downloaded both last night.

I just tried hitting F6 as the ramdrive was loading on hte server. It says it has no storage drivers loaded use drive A with manufacturers disk to install. I dont have a drive A anyhow :D

Thanks for your reply I will go take a look at your suggestions. I was hoping to get the iso working first as a test before trying to make the img file and use the USB drive. I am running out of ideas again so I will try anything LOL. This si so frustrating :D

#22 Bonehead

Bonehead

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:27 PM

I'll boot from the ubcd4win iso that I know works and then use the network to copy the files accross that you mention.

Wort wories me though if the drivers wernt in the xplive.iso they wont be in the img either. Ill give it a go though im getting desperate. After today I am not going to be near the server for 4 days so testing will stop and I'll forget everything I have done so far :D

#23 Bonehead

Bonehead

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

This LiveXP has the most recent DriverPack MassStorage already build-in.

When in RAMDISK you can do anything with C-Harddisk, even FORMAT and preparing for XP setup by running USB_XP_Setup.exe is allowed.

Ive created the bootsdi.img, ive started the server using the ubcd4win.iso over the network and am copying the fles to the c: drive on the server over the network. I can format the drive etc no problems with the ubcd4win.iso ive been using for the last couple of days, the real problem is getting the server to boot from its hard drive, load whatever drivers it needs and install XP. Something that I thought would be easy considering I achieved all this in about 5 hours of trying with linux LOL I thought Linux was difficult :D

#24 wimb

wimb

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 3756 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:07 PM

the real problem is getting the server to boot from its hard drive

Did you check the content of the MBR Bootsector of the drive using TinyHexer ? Is the XP MBR BootCode visible or does the sector begins with a lot of zero's ?

Did you try to use MbrFix as proposed earlier to make the drive bootable ?

#25 Bonehead

Bonehead

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:18 PM

Did you check the content of the MBR Bootsector of the drive using TinyHexer ? Is the XP MBR BootCode visible or does the sector begins with a lot of zero's ?

Did you try to use MbrFix as proposed earlier to make the drive bootable ?

I did that last night, I'll try it again as I have just done everything else you suggested and the server stopped after trying to boot from hard drive with "error loading operating system"

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHH LOL

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users