Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:49 AM

The guys at Datarescue provide as a FREEWARE a nice app:
http://www.datarescu...cue/v3/drdd.htm

DataRescue's DD (in short DrDD) - is a graphical disk imager intended for data recovery and backup of partially corrupted storage devices. DrDD creates complete or partial images of disks or memory cards to files on another storage device, allowing multiple data recovery attempts on the raw data, thereby minimizing the risk of damaging the corrupted media further. DrDD is available for Windows PC and Mac OS X machines.

The theory of operation appears like nice.

A typical use example

A 40GB hard drive suffers of physically bad sectors in the system area that cause the drive to lock up when the damaged area is hit by a conventional disk duplication program or a data recovery program. DrDD is first used to attempt an image of the drive. DrDD locks up as well, the error is completely irrecoverable. The system is reset. Through the last log, the problematic area seems to be sector 1.000.000. DrDD is used to first create an image of the hard drive up to sector 999.999. Knowing that hardware errors are often contiguous, a second image is created, backwards, from the end of the drive (for example 40000MBs) back to sector 1.000.001. The backward copy proceeds and finally locks up at sector 1.004.000. If the data hasn't been saved, a new forward copy starting at sector 1.004.001 and going up to the end of the drive is done. The user now has saved most of the raw content of its hard drive and has saved the multiple trial and error read attempts he would have gone through if he had restarted the copy forward at sector 1.000.001 - with most of the data in a safe place, the user is now able to try as many data-recovery utilities as he wishes, for example our own PhotoRescue application.

It can be however be used as a "normal" imaging tool (if source is not defective). :)

Though biggish (for my "standards") it's a self-contained no-install .exe, about 2.3 Mb in size that can even run from within a .zip.

:)

jaclaz

#2 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:05 PM

Looks nice :)
Sharing your ideal "standards" results expected work of dd without problem on hostosx64 :)
10 minutes to backup 13GB eide disk :)

edit:
and a question, is it free to redistribute this in a script :)

#3 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

edit:
and a question, is it free to redistribute this in a script :)

My guess is yes, since it is released as unsupported freeware without a specific no-redistribution clause, and no EULA atttached.

But it would be a rather "vertical" kind of tool, won't it? :)

I mean, this should not be "distributed" as a "general purpose dd tool", it offers very few options.

ODIN:
http://odin-win.sourceforge.net/
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=5871

seems to me like a better choice.

My guess is that it should not be that difficult to compile it for x64.....

:)

jaclaz

#4 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:35 PM

Both scripts are on the way now :)

My guess is that it should not be that difficult to compile it for x64.....

Problem will/would happen if a utiltiy use its own 32bit .sys, .dll file, this wont work on hostosx64 :)
Also
As far as i read, 64bit PE can not execute 32bit applications, than x64 compile is necessary.

From my side :), i use livexp and hostos windowsx64 (not pe)
Compiling to x64 dont have importantance to me for now, so far nearly all 32bit imaging utilities with ideal "standards" works nicely

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users