#52 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1729 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:09 PM

I think there has been a breakage in the scripts - I just did what you tried - deleted the VistaPE folder and redownloaded. I also now finish up with an iso that does not boot. Before it worked when I started with an earlier version of the scripts and then downloaded the updates.

#53 MichaelZ

MichaelZ

Frequent Member

• Team Reboot
  • 333 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:16 PM

Have you applied KB926044? Its needed to fix an incompatibility between XP and the vista registry.

Does anyone know if the qfe has survived into KB931784 (MS07-022) as the KB926044 was not distributed to the public?

There is also a patch KB914882 to fix image mounting if you are using imagex.

Does anyone have the German version of the patch? The download link on the kb article has many language variants, but not the German version. In a Microsoft forum an employee gave another link where the German version is supposed to be dowloadable, but that link gives an error page that this download is not available.

Many Greetings
MichaelZ

#54 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1729 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 14 May 2007 - 12:22 PM

Also on the Finalize\ 6 - Finalizing script try unsetting the 'Pack Boot.win' option. Also in Finalize\7 - Create Iso make sure you uncheck 'Compatible Mode'. I now have a bootable iso again. Its possible I was running out of memory with the 'Pack Boot.wim' option set.

#55 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 01:05 PM

hm... you can use PeNetCfg ONLY if you have Vista DVD as source

http://www.boot-land...-230-t1726.html

#56 warynski

warynski

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:02 PM

Hi Paraglider and NightMan,

Thank you for all the information you have given. I think the most important thing for me now what NightMan has written i.e. I should have Vista DVD as source if I want to use PeNetCfg.

I wonder whether Vista Release Candidate 1 DVD is right source for building Vista PE if I want to use PeNetCfg.

#57 warynski

warynski

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 20 May 2007 - 01:12 PM

In the end I've managed to build Vista PE that contains PENetCfg using Vista install disk as source. I was able to set static IP adresses and I can now use my internet connection. That's great! :confused1:

However I would like to ask a question. I use a Linksys router to share internet connection with my daughter. There is a wlan configured to be able to share folders etc.

Is it possible in Vista PE to configure LAN? Where can I set the name of the workgroup, and share drivers or folders?

Thank you in advance for any reply.

#58 martinr

martinr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:02 PM

Is it possible in Vista PE to configure LAN? Where can I set the name of the workgroup, and share drivers or folders?

VistaPE is not able at present to view Network Neighborhood, My Network Places etc in Windows Explorer or any of the other Explorer type programs.

Once you have the name(s) of your daughter's shared folders, it will be possible however to map them as network drives. They will then be visible in Explorer under the drive letter allocated to them.

You can map these drives by using PENetCfg or the command line instruction "net use ......".

#59 warynski

warynski

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 20 May 2007 - 02:11 PM

Thank you for your reply, I will try what you have suggested...

#60 warynski

warynski

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:04 PM

Hi Martinr,

I've tried to map the other PC's folders as network drives with PENetCfg. Under PENet in the right pane the workgrup and the other PC's name could be seen. In the left pane Network Path appeared correctly.
However I should give the user name and the password. I'm not sure which username/pass I should give. The username/pass that she uses on the other PC? Or I should create a new user account on the other PC and give those data? Or what else?
(Normally when using XP, we don't need any username/password to reach the other PC's folders, printers etc.)

I would be grateful if you could help me. :confused1:

#61 martinr

martinr

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 May 2007 - 03:23 PM

However I should give the user name and the password. I'm not sure which username/pass I should give. The username/pass that she uses on the other PC? Or I should create a new user account on the other PC and give those data? Or what else?
(Normally when using XP, we don't need any username/password to reach the other PC's folders, printers etc.)

Any old name and password seems to work. I have just accessed one of my network drives using a fictitious name of Fred and a password of 12345, and it worked fine.

If this doesn't work for you, I suggest that you use your daughter's username and password, but I don't think that it will be necessary.

#62 Snapafun

Snapafun
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Rock'n'Roll Dancing, Linux
  •  
    New Zealand

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:08 AM

Built it today and tested it ~ worked great though it didn't get to see the wireless adaptor so I'll need to go LAN for internet connection. Still a very raw newbie with this but it appears to be a helpful tool for helping my mates out with their messing about problems they create with their systems.

Saving the copy of the installation DVD just in case I missed something and shall return to the tutorials to see what's what.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users