• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#26 Zaphod

Zaphod
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:55 AM

Hi folks!

Been playing around with VistaPE for a day or so, and I'm very interested in this project. I'm a computer repair technician working for a company that is a Microsoft Small Business partner. PE disks are fantastic tools for repair, and VistaPE addresses several existing issues that XP based disks have (SATA compatibility alone is fantastic) and offers exciting possibilities for repairing the Vista operating system.

One advantage I have is a licensed and legal full version of the Vista operating system, and several test machine configurations. (Sorry, no way I can distribute Vista)

I've switched both the PE and the shell to english, and I'm starting to work with the .scripts for some simple applications, and I've got one problem so far...

I haven't been able to get networking support to run at all. What am I missing? First build (unmodified) wanted a missing BartPE.exe file, and when I added that, it says It can't find my network adapter.

Let me know what I can do to help this project along.

-Zaphod

#27 NightMan

NightMan

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 433 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:01 AM

Zaphod and ALL

I haven't been able to get networking support to run at all. What am I missing? First build (unmodified) wanted a missing BartPE.exe file, and when I added that, it says It can't find my network adapter.

Read this:
http://www.boot-land...p?showtopic=890

#28 Hello123

Hello123
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:48 PM

I am trying to create VistaPe but I am very new to it. As per instructions I pointed the path to WAIK and it gives me error.Access violation error. I have full rights on this windows vista
:cheers:

#29 TheHive

TheHive

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 4171 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 10:19 PM

I am trying to create VistaPe but I am very new to it. As per instructions I pointed the path to WAIK and it gives me error.Access violation error. I have full rights on this windows vista
:cheers:

Hey Hello123, Welcome to the board.
Make sure you have WAIK installed and It usually installs to the Program Files/WAIK or something like that. If so, pointing the source to it should be enough. And the building should be fine.

If not, Try to go to the
VistaPE - Build - 0 - PreConfig
Change the WIM management to "WIM utility". Then try to build again.

#30 powaking

powaking

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 238 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:54 PM

wpeutil DisableFirewall to turn off firewall and get VNC working.

I see there is no natice function to map a network drive. Have to do so via the command console (or am I missing it entirely).

#31 warynski

warynski

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:43 PM

I've have created Vista PE boot CD successfully, but I have problems with the network configuration. I am not able to use my internet connection and don't know where to configure it. My PC is behind a router and the PC has static IP address. Somehow, somewhere I should set IP address, subnet mask, default gateway etc. but I can't find where to set them.
I run ipconfig /all command and it seems that Viste PE has detected my Marvell Yukon network card, but I don't know what next.

Thank you in advance for any help! :confused1:

#32 JonF

JonF

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1185 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:19 PM

Try (in VistaPE) Start | Programs | Network | PENetCfg.

Or you could try turning on DHCP in your router to get a dynamic IP when you boot VistaPE.

#33 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1729 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:45 PM

You should also be able to do it with wpeinit using the /unattend command line option. Its described in the AIK documentation.

#34 warynski

warynski

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:17 PM

Thank you for the tipps!
Unfortunatelly in Start | Programs | Network | there is no PENetCfg. (I have made this VistaPE downloading only VistaPE scripts from vistape.boot-land.net/project.)

Therefore I've downloaded now VistaPe003.rar, unzipped and it contains PENetCfg.exe in vistape003\Projects\VistaPE\Net\PENetCfg\ folder.
I just don't know how I should add this folder to the process so that the new ISO file contains PENetCfg.
Please help me, I'm not quite familiar with adding programs and scripts to the projects.

Thank you in advance! :confused1:

#35 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10549 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 May 2007 - 06:50 PM

You seem to be using a very old version of vistaPE - where have you found it?? :confused1:

The easiest way is downloading the latest winbuilder beta version (from wb's forum) and then download all files from the VistaPE web server on the download center - this ensures you get all the latest updated files including the missing scripts on your project (with correct settings).

Good luck! :confused1:

#36 warynski

warynski

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:22 PM

You seem to be using a very old version of vistaPE - where have you found it?? :confused1:

The easiest way is downloading the latest winbuilder beta version (from wb's forum) and then download all files from the VistaPE web server on the download center - this ensures you get all the latest updated files including the missing scripts on your project (with correct settings).

Hi Nuno Brito,

I've downloaded WinBuilder 069_beta2 and using the scripts tab I've also downloaded VistaPE and Tools from vistape.boot-land.net/project. There were 81 files and 71,49 MB altogether to download. I thought this was the right way to download VistaPE.

You wrote that I should have downloaded all files from VistaPE web server on download center. Did you mean from http://vistape.boot-...g/download.html? If not, where can I find Download Center? Under Main Menu > Downloads I was not able to find VistaPE...

Thank you for your help!

#37 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10549 posts
  • Interests:I'm just a quiet simple person with a very quiet simple life living one day at a time..
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:30 PM

Old beta too... :confused1:

We're now using beta 6 - multiple webservers where only added after beta 3..

Use the latest beta (6) and you should be fine, you find the download center inside wb.

Use wb to get all files - it's an easier way for authors to upload all their newer scripts and for everyone to keep projects updated.

I know these betas can get confusing - a stable release is expected be published soon, hope you get the expected results now! :confused1:

#38 warynski

warynski

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:24 PM

Thank you for your reply!

I think 2-3 weeks ago WB069_ beta2 was the latest version, but I may be wrong. Anyway I've downloaded now beta6 and I'm downloading all the files - the recommanded version. Which files should be used if I want to create VistaPE disc?

Thank you again helping me so far! :confused1:

#39 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10549 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:46 PM

Don't worry - things change quite quickly around here, especialy with betas..

Here's a good way to test things:

1. Get the latest beta
2. Unpack it on an empty folder
3. Go to the Download Center
4. Click the "Download" button (to get recommended files from all servers)
5. wb restarts itself, select VistaPE
6. Select the correct path to your WAIK or Vista DVD
7. Press Play

Haven't tried myself since NightMan has uploaded his update VistaPE server, but these should all the steps you need to get some control on network and the other applications.

#40 warynski

warynski

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 11 May 2007 - 09:58 PM

Thanks, I'll do that!

I can't imagine how you can answer so many posts, and develope scripts in the meantime... :confused1:
Congratulations, it's a great work!

#41 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10549 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:28 PM

Well, I just try to use some of my free time to help other script developers and update their scripts if needed.

I see this as good chance to learn new things and the gathered experience from the talks on this community is reflected on my daytime work.. :confused1:

#42 warynski

warynski

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:36 PM

I'm sorry to say but the Vista PE I could create with beta 6, downloading all recommanded files doesn't have any network utilities at all.
E.g. in Start > Programs there is no Network option. In addition all the programs are missing (among others FireFox) that were in VistaPE I made with beta2.

To tell the truth the previous VistaPE (created with beta2) was all right, the only problem was that PENetCnfg missed from Network, so I couldn't set static IP address. :confused1:

#43 Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 10549 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:49 PM

Yes, I've been checking VistaPE's web server - you should go back to the download center and either select all files inside the VistaPE server or select the "Complete" profile instead of Recommended.

You can also manually select which scripts to get, just browse around the apps folder.

This should be enough to get all applications downloaded - including the network utils.

At the moment I'm on dial-up so it would be long to download all scripts from VistaPE but I also didn't find the PENetCnfg available - maybe nightman can explain this.

:confused1:

#44 warynski

warynski

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:57 PM

I don't mind trying again and again, so I will continue tomorrow. :confused1:

Anyway, as I wrote, I could download VistaPe003.rar previously, and it contains PENetCfg.exe in vistape003\Projects\VistaPE\Net\PENetCfg\ folder.

I just didn't know how I should add this folder to the process so that the new ISO file contains PENetCfg. So if someone could explain how to add the above mentioned PENetCfg to VistaPE project, I think it would work fine...

#45 warynski

warynski

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:56 PM

I've downloaded "Complete" profile and created ISO file with WB069_beta6, but the result was distressing. I couldn't even boot with this Vista PE. "Windows is loading files" appeared on screen then "Starting Windows Vista" and then a black screen, and the PC rebooted. Then again booted from CD, and the same process took place again and again.

I've created the iso file once more, but the result was the same.

I've attached the log.html to this post.

To sum up, the best result was with beta2, it worked. The only problem was that it didn't contain PENetCfg, so I was not able to set static IP address.
Unfortunatelly I don't know how to add the PENetCfg folder that I've downloaded with VistaPE003.rar to the project.

Thank you for any help in advance!

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.html   1.39MB   643 downloads

#46 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1729 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 May 2007 - 01:30 PM

If you want explorer / mmc support then you need to build from a Vista source DVD not from the AIK.

#47 warynski

warynski

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 13 May 2007 - 02:45 PM

Thanks for your reply!

What do you mean by explorer/mmc support?
Do you mean that I couldn't use e.g. PENetCfg if the project is built from AIK?

Vista PE that I've created with wb069_beta2 worked correctly, although it was built from AIK. The only problem was that I didn't know how to add PENetCfg to the project.

Then I was advised to use wb069_beta6. The boot problem occured only with this beta6.

#48 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1729 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:20 PM

No network should still work if you use the AIK as long as you have the required drivers. Just don't enable under Addons - Explorer Vista or MMC.

What OS are you building on? Are you booting the ISO on your real machine or a virtual machine?

#49 warynski

warynski

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 13 May 2007 - 09:26 PM

My OS is Windows XP Prof. SP2 and I am booting the ISO on my real machine.

#50 paraglider

paraglider

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1729 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 May 2007 - 10:41 PM

Have you applied KB926044? Its needed to fix an incompatibility between XP and the vista registry. You should also make sure system restore is not monitoring the drive on which you mount the wim files. There is also a patch KB914882 to fix image mounting if you are using imagex. Don't know if its required if you are using wimutil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users