3 replies to this topic

#1 Wannabe

Wannabe
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:32 PM

Hey all...I am looking for a quick and dirty way to get a bootable Flash Drive to help with troubleshooting viruses and other system issues, to simple testing and file systems utilities.

We have played around with some Linux stuff like Deft, but we need something a little more straight forward and simpler to use.

Any suggestions?

#2 mr_

mr_

Frequent Member

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:38 PM

USB booting is always non-standard, non-common, buggy and complicated.

AreoStudio is a graphical bootmanager, not the right tool if you want it easy.

UBCD4WIN is easy but usage as CD is common and as USB only secondary supported, there is an tool called UBCD2USB. However UBCD4WIN is only PE and therefore introduces new complicated stuff.

Linux is also complicated for Windows users.

What's left? Maybe try usboot.org. Not much simple things out.

#3 Wannabe

Wannabe
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the input. I am reading about VistaPE right now. I wonder how simple/complicated that is to implement on a USBDrive. With flash drives being some useful and cheap...I really want to move down that path. with 64GB drives out now and even larger on the horizon, I can see support professionals using them more and more.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out.

#4 Gostep

Gostep

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
    Vietnam

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for the input. I am reading about VistaPE right now. I wonder how simple/complicated that is to implement on a USBDrive. With flash drives being some useful and cheap...I really want to move down that path. with 64GB drives out now and even larger on the horizon, I can see support professionals using them more and more.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out.

www.pendrivelinux.com

BootMyISO.exe instructions here. http://www.pendrivel...-multiboot-usb/ Simple. Free. Works well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users