22 replies to this topic

#1 JohnDN

JohnDN

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:00 AM

Setup WinBuilder 076, nativeEx v.39, SaveBase v.9, RestoreBase v.4, SourceCD: Windows XP Professional Slip-streamed with SP3.
Built under Windows Vista SP1 with UAC disabled (seems to be working so far.)

I am building a nativeEx CD with a lot of antivirus and antispyware software on it and it takes a very long time for it to build because of all the updates and such. So RestoreBase would be very useful to me. However, I SaveBase after optimizations have been performed on the build (autoCompress, autoUPX, local additions, regCompact). I select "Use Current Build" with no other options selected.

When I use the RestoreBase option it always gives the error:
"ExtractFile - Failed to expand file: [buildModel.exe] to: [%BaseDir%\Temp\nativeEx_barebone]"

I've tried compressing the SaveBase as well as having it not compressed, I tried to unUPX the buildModel.exe but it wasn't in the list so I guess it wasn't UPXed in the first place. I've uploaded the log of when I SaveBase (no errors) and when I RestoreBase. I'd greatly appreciate any help that you guys can provide.

Attached Files

#2 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  • Interests:What somebody else cannot do.
  •  
    European Union

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:33 AM

Setup WinBuilder 076, nativeEx v.39, SaveBase v.9, RestoreBase v.4, SourceCD: Windows XP Professional Slip-streamed with SP3.
Built under Windows Vista SP1 with UAC disabled (seems to be working so far.)

I am building a nativeEx CD with a lot of antivirus and antispyware software on it and it takes a very long time for it to build because of all the updates and such. So RestoreBase would be very useful to me. However, I SaveBase after optimizations have been performed on the build (autoCompress, autoUPX, local additions, regCompact). I select "Use Current Build" with no other options selected.

When I use the RestoreBase option it always gives the error:
"ExtractFile - Failed to expand file: [buildModel.exe] to: [%BaseDir%\Temp\nativeEx_barebone]"

I've tried compressing the SaveBase as well as having it not compressed, I tried to unUPX the buildModel.exe but it wasn't in the list so I guess it wasn't UPXed in the first place. I've uploaded the log of when I SaveBase (no errors) and when I RestoreBase. I'd greatly appreciate any help that you guys can provide.

Hi John

First a 'Welcome in our Community'

I'm sorry that in your first trial you got this disappointment.

That has been my mistake.

Please have a look here.

Peter

BTW: Your description of the issue is GREAT! :cheers:

Would be nice if all members give such useful descriptions when asking for help.

#3 JohnDN

JohnDN

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:27 PM

Thank You PSC.

You're updated scripts work perfect in nativeEX.

However, I've moved on to LiveXP because I was finally able to get the MassStorage driver packs working on it and it seems to be more compatible than nativeEX with the programs I want. LiveXP was giving me the same problem with RestoreBase before, and I've tried your updated scripts with it. It seemed to work but when it is adding scripts a Windows error occurs saying "shortcutWinExp.exe has stopped working". This occurs during the "Creat ShortCut StartMenu" portion of adding the script to the build. No WinBuilder errors though.

The script itself is added to the build, but I have to start it by going to the X:\ProgramFiles\ScriptFolder\Script.exe. The the Startmenu shortcuts aren't being added though. And this only happens when I try to RestoreBase, does anyone have a solution for this?

Attached Files

#4 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:14 AM

Thank You PSC.

You're updated scripts work perfect in nativeEX.

However, I've moved on to LiveXP because I was finally able to get the MassStorage driver packs working on it and it seems to be more compatible than nativeEX with the programs I want. LiveXP was giving me the same problem with RestoreBase before, and I've tried your updated scripts with it. It seemed to work but when it is adding scripts a Windows error occurs saying "shortcutWinExp.exe has stopped working". This occurs during the "Creat ShortCut StartMenu" portion of adding the script to the build. No WinBuilder errors though.

The script itself is added to the build, but I have to start it by going to the X:\ProgramFiles\ScriptFolder\Script.exe. The the Startmenu shortcuts aren't being added though. And this only happens when I try to RestoreBase, does anyone have a solution for this?

On my system this issue does not occur.

But there is something strange in your log.

Fundamentals.Script runs after RestoreBase.Script That should not happen.
Please download SaveBase again and try again.
Be sure that you do necessary adaptions to LiveXP.

If the troubles still exist, please post the SaveBase log, too.

Peter

#5 JohnDN

JohnDN

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:16 PM

I haven't yet tried your suggestion involving "Fundamentals.Script" but you mentioned the adaptations necessary for LiveXP. In your post from the other thread you mentioned how to adapt to other projects. I haven't made any changes to the scripts. Do you happen to have a post on which specific lines to add to the scripts, or possibly an already adapted script that you could post for LiveXP users? I'm pretty knew at all this and haven't got around to studying how scripts are constructed and such, so I'm not sure what lines to change or add. Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

#6 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 February 2009 - 02:37 PM

I haven't yet tried your suggestion involving "Fundamentals.Script" but you mentioned the adaptations necessary for LiveXP. In your post from the other thread you mentioned how to adapt to other projects. I haven't made any changes to the scripts. Do you happen to have a post on which specific lines to add to the scripts, or possibly an already adapted script that you could post for LiveXP users? I'm pretty knew at all this and haven't got around to studying how scripts are constructed and such, so I'm not sure what lines to change or add. Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.

This should be sufficient:
  • Downlad (again!) all files mentioned in the other topic and copy all downloaded *.script files into the according directory of LiveXP.
    Do not worry whether the files are in 'nativeEx_barebone' or 'nativeEx_Core'
  • In LiveXP's script.project, add the line
    %Exec%=%ProjectDir%
    after the line
    %Core%=%ProjectDir%
  • In LiveXP's script.project, replace the [verify] section by that one in nativeEx_barebone:script.project which you downloaded from nativeEx
Peter

#7 JohnDN

JohnDN

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:41 PM

I followed all your instructions for replacing the files and modifying the project script. It still didn't work, but then I saw the define_fundamentals.script was still running after RestoreBase had. I changed the "!RestoreBase" folder to "!ZRestoreBase" so it'd run after the define_fundamentals.script, as you suggested. Then it worked perfectly!

I've included a .7z file with the needed files, the modified LiveXP project script, and the instructions for anyone else having this problem.

A quick off the topic question (I don't think it's worth starting a thread over).
When you go to "My Computer\Properties\Advanced\Performance Settings, it is set to custom. Is there a way to change it so that when LiveXP builds it builds it with the option "Adjust for best performance" selected? It'd also be nice if there was a way to set it so under Display Properties\Settings the color quality was set to 16bit instead of 32bit. This might make the PE perform better on extremely old computer with very low system and graphics memory. I'll work on figuring this out and let you know if I get it.

-John

Attached Files

#8 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:52 PM

It still didn't work, but then I saw the define_fundamentals.script was still running after RestoreBase had.

As said before, to evaluate that, I need the SaveBase log!

Peter

#9 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

I'm hoping to add the new script versions today to LiveXP.

Regards,
Galapo.

#10 JohnDN

JohnDN

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

As said before, to evaluate that, I need the SaveBase log!

Sorry I think there was a miscommunication. SaveBase and RestoreBase are working perfectly now. I think the define_fundamentals.script was running after RestoreBase due to some files I had moved around in my LiveXP folder. So I think that was just my human error and wasn't a problem with LiveXP or any of your scripts.

#11 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:57 AM

Sorry I think there was a miscommunication. SaveBase and RestoreBase are working perfectly now. I think the define_fundamentals.script was running after RestoreBase due to some files I had moved around in my LiveXP folder. So I think that was just my human error and wasn't a problem with LiveXP or any of your scripts.

But SaveBase should switch Fundamental's 'Selected' to 'None' regardless of its position in the tree.

Peter

#12 JohnDN

JohnDN

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

Update: I'm manually going through and re-enabling all my scripts. I'll get the SaveBase log up as soon as I'm done with that.

Alright, I'll get the SaveBase log. I'll have to fix a problem first though. I used SaveBase once, and then I enabled RestoreBase and SaveBase at the same time on my next build, in an attempt to add more scripts to my already saved base. Now when I try to re-enable the disabled scripts it only enables the two scripts that were disabled during the second SaveBase build, and I can't get the first ones disabled to re-enable no matter how many times I click the re-enable button.

I'm not sure, but if I try to get you a SaveBase log without all the main build scripts enabled it might not provide you with the information you need. I'll try to get these scripts enabled and then I'll create a SaveBase log for you.

#13 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:28 PM

Alright, I'll get the SaveBase log. I'll have to fix a problem first though. I used SaveBase once, and then I enabled RestoreBase and SaveBase at the same time on my next build, in an attempt to add more scripts to my already saved base. Now when I try to re-enable the disabled scripts it only enables the two scripts that were disabled during the second SaveBase build, and I can't get the first ones disabled to re-enable no matter how many times I click the re-enable button.

I'm not sure, but if I try to get you a SaveBase log without all the main build scripts enabled it might not provide you with the information you need. I'll try to get these scripts enabled and then I'll create a SaveBase log for you.

Let's try to come down to some fundamentals.

#1: What you told about Re-Enable', is explainable for me, but should not happen. Here seems to be a nice bug I have to find and kill.

#2: Maybe it is possible w/o sending the huge SaveBase log:

Immediatelly after running SaveBase:
  • First store the log locally, perhaps we need it later
  • Restart WinBuilder
  • If there is NO checked project besides 'Verify Project', from my point of view everything is ok, and you disturbed something with your 'copying around'
  • If there is ANY other script selected, then it is my fault in the script, and I need the complete SaveBase log.
Peter

#14 JohnDN

JohnDN

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:53 PM

"Whenever SaveBase is run with "Disable scripts after save" checked, it restarts automatically, so fast I have no chance to save the log and when it restarts the log is gone." I've fixed this problem, and got the log, see next post.

Attached Files

#15 JohnDN

JohnDN

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

Ok, I disabled the restart by removing "System,ReScanScripts" from the SaveBase script.

The fundamentals script is still enabled with a lock by it, while the others are disabled.

Here is the log.

Attached Files

#16 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

Ok, I disabled the restart by removing "System,ReScanScripts" from the SaveBase script.

The fundamentals script is still enabled with a lock by it, while the others are disabled.

Here is the log.

Can you check your script.project, whether under [Variables] there is a %FundamentalsScript% defined?

Peter

#17 JohnDN

JohnDN

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:26 PM

Can you check your script.project, whether under [Variables] there is a %FundamentalsScript% defined?

Peter

There is no "%FundamentalsScript%" under [Variables]. The only place "fundamentals" appears in the whole script.project is under the verify section you had me copy from nativeEx_barbone script.

#18 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

There is no "%FundamentalsScript%" under [Variables]. The only place "fundamentals" appears in the whole script.project is under the verify section you had me copy from nativeEx_barbone script.

If you there have a %Core% defined, add this after %Core%:
%FundamentalsScript%=%Core%\Basic\!WBManager\!Fundamentals.Script
If not %Core% defined, add
%FundamentalsScript%=%BaseDir%\Projects\<your project dir name>\Basic\!WBManager\!Fundamentals.Script.
<your project dir name> is propably 'LiveXP'.

@Galapo: This seems to be a question for you! :cheers:

Peter

#19 JohnDN

JohnDN

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:18 PM

I followed your instructions and now fundamentals.script is disabled after SaveBase is run. It looks like everything is working now.

Thank you for all the help,
John

#20 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

I followed your instructions and now fundamentals.script is disabled after SaveBase is run. It looks like everything is working now.

Thank you for all the help,
John

Thanks for your patience and help to improve my scripts!

Peter

#21 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:37 PM

@Galapo: This seems to be a question for you! :cheers:

Hi Peter,

Yes, I can answer the question.

JohnDN copied the scripts from nativeEx_barebone himself prior to me updating the LiveXP server and he didn't update script.project properly.

If he had gotten updates yesterday from the LiveXP server, he wouldn't have had the issue because there has been a new script.project there with the variable defined.

Regards,
Galapo.

#22 pscEx

pscEx

Platinum Member

• Team Reboot
  • 12707 posts
  •  
    European Union

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:43 PM

Hi Peter,

Yes, I can answer the question.

JohnDN copied the scripts from nativeEx_barebone himself prior to me updating the LiveXP server and he didn't update script.project properly.

If he had gotten updates yesterday from the LiveXP server, he wouldn't have had the issue because there has been a new script.project there with the variable defined.

Regards,
Galapo.

That means: If he NOW starts from scratch, everything will be ok?

Great!

Peter

#23 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

Yes, that's right. (At least, everything is fine for me.)

Regards,
Galapo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users