8 replies to this topic

#1 bmcclurg

bmcclurg

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

In reading these forums, it looks like shortcut creation is a much-discussed topic. I'm trying to understand how it works. Some app scripts are easy to modify, but others are very confusing to me, like the explorer.script. I'd like to use the standard XP icon (folder with magnifying glass) because it's the XP default. It doesn't matter what I try, it's still always the first icon in the explorer.exe app. I've tried to change the icon index to 5 or to add another icon file, but neither made any change because I'm sure I did something incorrectly. And it looks like there are multiple methods of creating icons in this one script (and some heated forum discussions about which is better), but I can find no documentation about how any of the methods work.

Another shortcut problem for me is when adding a folder to the CD using the 'Include' option in BootDSI- I can't figure out how to:
1. Create an icon to an app located in that folder
2. Rename the shortcut created when I check the box 'Create a Desktop shortcut to this folder'
3. Just get the shortcut to even point to the folder on the CD- it always points to the root of X:\, not the CD where the folder is.
The folder is there on the CD, and I've checked the box 'Include folder at root' in BootSDI.

Is there any documentation for the various methods used? They all appear to be constantly changing, with only about 4 people really knowing what works and how. Even some descriptive REM's in the scripts would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

#2 MedEvil

MedEvil

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 7771 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:27 PM

The documentation for shortcut creation is in buildmodel script. Just click on the help button.

I hope you're lucky and it's just that nobody cared before, but in general, bugs survive around here only, if they are very very stubborn!

:poke:

#3 Galapo

Galapo

Platinum Member

• .script developer
  • 3841 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

Another shortcut problem for me is when adding a folder to the CD using the 'Include' option in BootDSI- I can't figure out how to:
1. Create an icon to an app located in that folder

That's not an option that the script provides.

Regards,
Galapo.

#4 dera

dera

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1335 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:39 PM

like the explorer.script. I'd like to use the standard XP icon (folder with magnifying glass)

If,%pCheckBox8%,equal,true,Run,%BuildModelScript%,Add-Shortcut,"DE","#$pSystemRoot#$p\explorer.exe","Explorer","-SP:/e#$c#$q#$s#$q-SF:#$pSystemRoot#$p\explorer.exe#$q#$s#$q-SI:1"If,%pCheckBox9%,equal,true,Run,%BuildModelScript%,Add-Shortcut,"SM","#$pSystemRoot#$p\explorer.exe","Explorer","-SP:/e#$c$q#$s#$q-SF:#$pSystemRoot#$p\explorer.exe#$q#$s#$q-SI:1"If,%pCheckBox10%,equal,true,Run,%BuildModelScript%,Add-Shortcut,"QL","#$pSystemRoot#$p\explorer.exe","Explorer","-SP:/e#$c$q#$s#$q-SF:#$pSystemRoot#$p\explorer.exe#$q#$s#$q-SI:1"

#5 bmcclurg

bmcclurg

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

Thanks, dera. That's exactly the help I needed, and after a little editing it worked great (there was a problem with the comma immediately following the '/e' parameter so that explorer was looking for a drive letter- like ' explorer.exe /e,C: ' ).

Galapo: I know the script doesn't have that option, but I'm mostly wondering if it's even possible to be done in WinBuilder. I thought I read somewhere here that there was a variable that pointed to the CD drive, but I've read so many forum topics that now I can't remember where it was- anyway, I'm learning a lot. Maybe someday I'll figure it out...

Thanks everyone for your help, especially those who've worked so many months (years?) to make WinBuilder the great tool it is.

#6 pedrole15

pedrole15

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 731 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:57 PM

Galapo: I know the script doesn't have that option, but I'm mostly wondering if it's even possible to be done in WinBuilder. I thought I read somewhere here that there was a variable that pointed to the CD drive, but I've read so many forum topics that now I can't remember where it was- anyway, I'm learning a lot. Maybe someday I'll figure it out...

Yes it's possible, but not with BuildModel
simply by adding entry in Shortcut.inf and in Explorer use Runtime Generation for shortcut
In the past i call this Run From CD you can find something at pedrole15.boot-land.net
Will try to add it in api

see also External medias shortcut in NativeEx from psc

Pedro
Attached File  shortcuthelp.txt   3.51KB   321 downloads

#7 pedrole15

pedrole15

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 731 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:34 AM

2009_02_16_024306.gif
2009_02_16_014617.gif 2009_02_16_020658.gif

In Explorer.script
Add this lines at the end of section [shc-run] before the 2 last lines:
If,%shortCutType%,Equal,SM,Begin

If,Not,%shortCutLocation%,Equal,,begin

TXTAddLine,"%target_sys%\shortcut.inf","2,!SM\%shortCutLocation%",Append

End

End

Without this, folder are not created in StartMenu (That's why it didn't work from a while)
Extract the file shc.au3 in folder Shortcuts from attachments
In the file shc.au3 Change "\boot.catalog" by "\PROJECTINFO.INI"
Re-encode the file in Explorer.script

Use this api Attached File  api.script   44.24KB   379 downloads
Make folder Include\Programs in %BaseDir%\Workbench
For test add in ImgBurn.script this at top of section [Process]
RunFromCD,%GlobalSupport%\Include\Programs

For adding entry in registry you use %PE_Programs% in this case it's equal to %PEDrive%\Programs
If %PEDrive% is unknown ,this variables can be set a boot time by the shc.au3 with some change

:poke:

Pedro

Note: As it is the shc.au3 check only where is the projectinfo.ini on cdrom , but it's easy to adapt it for check also usb drive

#8 bmcclurg

bmcclurg

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:40 AM

Thank you! This looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I looked at the tutorial pics and the MakeScript app in the tutorial has many tabs/features that MakeScript.exe v.16.1 doesn't have. Then I visit your web pages and see a MakeScript 007 script. So do I add this script into the LiveXP project folder, and if so, in which subfolder? Or is this not working anymore because of BuildModel?
Sorry I need so much help, but I guess this is how I learn.
-Bill

#9 pedrole15

pedrole15

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 731 posts
  •  
    France

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:48 AM

Thank you! This looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I looked at the tutorial pics and the MakeScript app in the tutorial has many tabs/features that MakeScript.exe v.16.1 doesn't have. Then I visit your web pages and see a MakeScript 007 script. So do I add this script into the LiveXP project folder, and if so, in which subfolder? Or is this not working anymore because of BuildModel?
Sorry I need so much help, but I guess this is how I learn.
-Bill

No MakeScript007.Script is old and don't work with actual Winbuilder use only MakeScript.exe 16.1
But now you can do what you want with api command RunFromCD,folder and RunFromRam,True

Pedro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users