11 replies to this topic

#1 stamat

stamat
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

Hello!

Please help a frustrated fellow. :poke:
I made my VistaPE iso. Then I tested it in VirtualBox. However, when I open the CubicExplorer ALL I see is:

Floppy Disk Drive (A:)
CD Drive (D:) VistaPE
Boot (X:)

In order to use imagex to recover to factory Vista install, I need to access my NTFS drives C: and D:.
I cannot see them. I even cannot see my cd-rom E:. What should I do?

Thanks!

#2 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

I am not sure to have understood your setup /what you are trying to do. :poke:

Where does Virtualbox run?

Or you are meaning that it worked in Virtualbox (on another PC) and didn't work anymore when tested on real (otherwise not booting hardware)?

Does the machine where you have to access C:, D: and E: have SATA drives?

If yes, did you try after having set in the BIOS the SATA drives as "IDE emulation" or something like that?

Is it possible that your build is missing a SATA disk driver?

jaclaz

#3 billonious

billonious

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 528 posts
  • Interests:curiosity

Posted 08 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

I think the hard disk of virual box is unformated and invisible in windows disk manager. Format it.

#4 stamat

stamat
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!

I am planing to reinstall my Vista Home Premium installation and change the OS language. But I need to make a recovery CD if something goes wrong. I have a WIM image of the factory install and i want to be able to use it with imagex.

Now I need the VistaPE to execute:
imagex /apply d:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 c:\

However, from my VistaPE i have no access to C: or D:

I am running VirtualBox in Vista on the same computer. The C: and D: drives are NTFS. I thought I cannot see them because they are NTFS format.

I hope this clears things out :poke:

#5 billonious

billonious

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:20 PM

However, from my VistaPE i have no access to C: or D:

you mean c: , d: of virtual box, right? They have nothing in common with your real hard disk

The C: and D: drives are NTFS

how do you know?

#6 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:21 PM

I thought I cannot see them because they are NTFS format.

I hope this clears things out :poke:

Not fully. :poke:

Check points #d and #f here:
http://www.boot-land...?act=boardrules

and post more details, please.

jaclaz

#7 stamat

stamat
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:48 PM

Sorry for being such a noob. I'll try to elaborate.

After making my VistaPE image, i decided not to burn it right away on a DVD, but to test first it in VirtualBox environment. When I opened the explorer in VirtualBox, I could not browse to my laptop hdd (c: and d:) or my laptop cd-rom (e:) or my external hdd. I had access only to the VistaPE's windows files, etc (as posted above).

I need access to my laptop hdd when i boot using VistaPE DVD and running in the VistaPE environment. I need this bood cd in order to rescue my files/recover Vista instalation IF something goes wrong and the computer cannot start by itself. To recover to my factory installation I need to be able to manipulate windows NTFS disks. But how can I do that if I have no access to my disks?

I know my disks (C: and D:) are NTFS as this is written when I open their properties from MyComputer.

I'm really trying to give you all the information I have. Sorry for the unclear formulation.

#8 billonious

billonious

Silver Member

• .script developer
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

When I opened the explorer in VirtualBox, I could not browse to my laptop hdd (c: and d:) or my laptop cd-rom (e:) or my external hdd. I had access only to the VistaPE's windows files, etc (as posted above

that's normal.
Virtual box makes its own virtual hard disk, that is raw (without format) at first.
You can't see laptop's hard disk through virtual box. In the word of Virtual Box, everythink is virtual. That means, it is a imaginary pc, with a fake disk ..... my explanation is very simpleminded but enough to make you distinguish the role of virtual machines

If you want to test your boot cd under real conditions, you have to (1) add specific sata drivers of your laptop (2)burn a cd * (3) boot it in your own laptop

* burn a re-writeable cd

#9 stamat

stamat
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for the replies! I think it now all works when not in VirtualBox. Thanks again! :poke:

#10 BobxT

BobxT

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:09 AM

Hello!

Please help a frustrated fellow. :cheers:
I made my VistaPE iso. Then I tested it in VirtualBox. However, when I open the CubicExplorer ALL I see is:

Floppy Disk Drive (A:)
CD Drive (D:) VistaPE
Boot (X:)

In order to use imagex to recover to factory Vista install, I need to access my NTFS drives C: and D:.
I cannot see them. I even cannot see my cd-rom E:. What should I do?

Thanks!

Hi,

I am having the same problem but mine is with LiveXP and two versions of Acronis TI Echo Server. Both are being made available to LiveXP in BartPE.inf manner and using the Acronis supplied BartPE folder and files as installed..

My most recent build was 2 hours ago when I did a build without ANY Apps except Acronis TI.

With Apps, a drive letter C: is applied but the system says that the drive is unformatted.

Booting without Apps, same happens (as above) and at least Acronis identifies the NTFS partition as such and would appear to let me back it up (not actually tried as I don't see the point).

Without Apps and without the Drivers except Universal Video, I don't get a drive letter applied, but Acronis still identifies the partition as being NTFS.

I am assuming something in the rest of the configuration of my LiveXP is clashing with Acronis.

When I have NO Acronis and with, or without, Paragon HDM everything works. At first I thought it was a clash between Paragon and Acronis but it definitely is not to do with Paragon nor any other App I have enabled.

This problem is NOT confined to VirtualBox either.
When I burn real CD disks the same thing is evident on real PC and two others.

Boot LiveXP (WinBuilder .80) from real CD on real PC with or without Apps and ALL NTFS partitions on real hard drives are interpreted as being unformatted. But If I boot from a LiveXP without Acronis, all is normal and same NTFS partitions seen and accessed normally.

There is NO WAY I am going to format the partitions from this iso or CD..! it is plainly wrong.

But the problem has another peculiarity.
The inability of the iso or CD to read NTFS partition, ONLY applies to the Hard Drive partitions. NOT to the RamDrive which is defaulted to NTFS and is always able to be read and always has a drive letter (B:) .

Anyone out there have any clues..?
This is an old thread, hope someone is watching.. :-(
And I hope you forgive me posting in a thread outside of LiveXP but I have been trying to find the answer to this for a week and this is the only one I have found so far that seems to be identical.

Regards,
BobxT

#11 Lancelot

Lancelot

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 5013 posts
  • Interests:*Mechanical stuff and Physics,
    *LiveXP, BartPE, SherpyaXPE,
    *Basketball and Looong Walking,
    *Buying outwear for my girlf (Reason: Girls are stupid about buying bad stuff to make themselves uglier :))
    *Girls (Lyric: Girl,...., You will be a womann, Soon)
    *Answering questions for "Meaning of life",
    *Helping people,

Kung with LiveXP, Fu with Peter :)
  •  
    Turkey

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:24 PM

Hi BobxT,

move slowly to DPS msst topic :cheers: (and post 106 there which I just tested & posted)
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=7374
with your results there, Maybe I can comment about VistaPE here more....
Happy testing.

about acronis ti:
As far as I know, it overrides windows diskmanagement by using its internal driver (and I guess it also have its own driverdatabase).
This has advantage and disadvantage...., up to whoever prefers. Personally I do not use ac ti..
Dera is the master around about ac ti who can give more accurate info.

drive letter:
on livexp case, there is mounstorpe in apps, which assigns drive letter for hot swapped disks. For your case (which I suspect new device old driver)... (guess rest :cheers: )
on vistape case, as far as I know this is done by bootup driver install phases, or if preinstalled naturally have drive letter, mostly similar with livexp....

:cheers:

#12 BobxT

BobxT

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
    Australia

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:15 PM

Hi BobxT,

move slowly to DPS msst topic :cheers: (and post 106 there which I just tested & posted)
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=7374
with your results there, Maybe I can comment about VistaPE here more....
Happy testing.

about acronis ti:
As far as I know, it overrides windows diskmanagement by using its internal driver (and I guess it also have its own driverdatabase).
This has advantage and disadvantage...., up to whoever prefers. Personally I do not use ac ti..
Dera is the master around about ac ti who can give more accurate info.

drive letter:
on livexp case, there is mounstorpe in apps, which assigns drive letter for hot swapped disks. For your case (which I suspect new device old driver)... (guess rest :cheers: )
on vistape case, as far as I know this is done by bootup driver install phases, or if preinstalled naturally have drive letter, mostly similar with livexp....

:cheers:

Thanks for the info, I will post further in the other forum post.
But I can tell you now... It has done no good.

More in the other forum.

BobxT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users