A.D.R.I.A.N.E. (Audio Desktop Reference Implementation And Networking Environment) is a talking menu system, which is supposed to make work and internet access easier for computer beginners, even if they have no sight contact to the computers monitor. A graphical environment with also talking programs and arbitrary magnification using compiz-fusion, is another option. In the current release of KNOPPIX 6.0 CD (ADRIANE 1.1), starting with speech support in text menu mode is set as default.
Microknoppix is a complete rewrite of the KNOPPIX boot system with the following features:
- 1. High compatibility with its Debian base: Aside from configuration files, nothing gets changed in Debians standard installation.
- 2. Accellerated boot procedure: Independently from the usual SysV bootscripts, multiple tasks of system initialization are run in parallel, so that interactive desktops are reached very fast. The slowest factor is still udev, start time is reduced to about half compared to versions 5.x.
- 3. LXDE is used as graphical environment, which is a very slim and fast desktop with extremely short starttime and low resource requirements. Because of its GTK2 base, LXDE works together nicely with screenreader Orca.
- 4. Amount of installed software has been greatly reduced in this first CD-version, so that custom remasters based on CD are possible again. In general, there are much fewer dependencies for the KNOPPIX-specific components, so that even small remasters, 256MB and less, can be created (hence the "Micro" part). [Picture of a SD-flashdisk]
- 5. Network configuration is being handled by NetworkManager with nm-applet in graphics mode, and textual GUIs in textmode (compatible to Debians /etc/network/interfaces specification, but without ifup/ifdown).
- 6. A persistent image for saving personal settings and additionally installed programs, KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img, is supported on the boot device. That way, even the boot system and startup scripts can be changed in the persistent image.
Changes in Knoppix 6.0.0-2009-01-27/ADRIANE V1.1:
- Complete rebuild from scratch, based on Debian/lenny (draft)
- New boot procedure with highly parallelized hardware detection and configuration
- LXDE (http://www.lxde.org/) as default desktop
- OpenOffice 3.0.1
- Firefox/Iceweasel 3.0.5
- Starts blind-friendly, talking ADRIANE menu by default (use boot option "knoppix" for directly starting into graphical desktop)
- Very reduced software collection in order to easily fit on CD
- NetworkManager (support for Debian /etc/network/interfaces enabled)
- "flash-knoppix": Create bootable Memorystick from CD
- Begin of porting Knoppix 5.x boot options and features to the new system (not complete yet)