27 replies to this topic

#1 Fregley

Fregley

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:12 AM

I am pretty much a total noob at Vista PE. I only learned about it a few days ago. I downloaded everything I neede (I think) and created the ISO using the WAIK toolkit. The only error that popped up during this process was one saying that Partedmagic or something could not be downloaded. I burned the ISO to a cd, but when I put it in to boot off, a screen pops up that says, a bunch of stuff about how Windows failed to start, etc. It says the status is "0xc000000f". If I push Enter to continue, I get a choice between "Windows Setup [ems enabled]" or "Windows Memory Diagnostic".

If I hit the setup option, it goes back to the first screen. If I go to the memory diagnostic, it says it is missing the file "\boot\memtest.exe".

I have tried re-downloading everything, recreating the iso, and burning it 3 times. The same thing happened each time

This does not happen if I boot without the Cd in. Yes, I have the computer set to boot from the cd first.

Please help!!! If someone really wants me to, I can post pictures of the screens.

#2 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:19 AM

Welcome Fregley,

You seem to have created a boot disk of sorts. Well done.

However, to sort the problems, you might need to provide more details - do you have an installation disc (or image) for Vista/Server 2008/Win7 as well as the WAIK? - which version of VistaPE? - which version of Winbuilder? - waht is your Operating System? - most importantly, have you tried disabling all those programs in the VistaPE list to see if a minimum build works?

Some screenshots might help, or the log.html produced by clicking 'Log Tab>save as log.html' after the build has completed - preferrably after you have attempted the minimum build for a start.

Regards

#3 Fregley

Fregley

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:21 PM

I don't have a Vista disk. I downloaded the WAIK image, burned it, and installed it. The Winbuilder screen says that I am using VistaPE Core v12 (RC1). Winbuilder is version 075 beta 6. I am running it off of XP Professional service pack 3. I was using the complete option on VistaPE.

I attached 3 pictures of the screens that result when I try to boot from the cd. Sorry, they aren't the best quality, but they are readable. I also attached the log of a minimum build. I didn't save the log from the complete build, so I will download everything again and post it when it's done.

Just so you know, because I'm so new at this program, I might be making a very obvious error.

Also, what features are included in the minimum build as opposed to the complete build?

edit----------------------------
I am switching the pictures to print screens from vmware.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screen_3_copy.gif
  • Screen_2_copy.gif
  • Screen_1_copy.gif

#4 PaPeuser

PaPeuser

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 787 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 January 2009 - 08:43 PM

Hello,
This part you did everything right

I downloaded the WAIK image, burned it, and installed it. The Winbuilder screen says that I am using VistaPE Core v12 (RC1). Winbuilder is version 075 beta 6. I am running it off of XP Professional service pack 3. I was using the complete option on VistaPE.

You will need a Vista DVD as source to use all of the feaures available in VistaPE

Uncheck all scripts that ask for or say Vista DVD is needed as source
Some scripts say need Vista DVD as source or use Windows WAIK as source

Good Luck

#5 PaPeuser

PaPeuser

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 787 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:39 PM

I have no clue if WAIK alone works, or what should be selected.
I found that using both WAIK and a VISTA DVD work for me

But I notice this error in your log
PENetCfg was looking for Vista DVD

Request Windows Vista DVD...
Finished processing script: PENetCfg

People in here and help files say YES it can be done,, with only WAIK

#6 Fregley

Fregley

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

I have gotten rid of all the scripts requiring a Vista cd that I could find, but VMWare shows the same error that I encountered before. Help!!! I am attaching my current log. None of the warnings show which script is causing the problem.

Edit-
I found the scripts causing the request vista dvd errors, but I don't know what to do about the others.

#7 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:06 AM

Thanks for the log of the minimum build. I can't see anywhere where the new .wim image is being captured or a new .iso being built. So you are probably booting the same CD .iso as the first time. (Perhaps I've overlooked something in your log.) Make sure that toward the end of the Vista build list you have selected to capture (pack?) the .wim image and that the new .iso is created. And post the new log. Thanks.

#8 Fregley

Fregley

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:29 AM

Sorry, I though I had posted the new log. If I can, I would like to avoid using the minimum, as I would like as many features as I can get, so I was using the complete option in the new log. Also, I didn't see a script to create the iso in the minimum.

Note: I had to delete the old log to make room for this one. I hope that isn't a problem.

Attached Files

#9 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:54 AM

Those log files are not handled well by IE - that's sort of the only reason I asked for minimum log. I've now discovered that with Opera, it's a snack!

It doesn't look too bad. The errors copying BCDedit and .mui might possibly be the problem, because BCDedit is called from the copied location to configure the BCD. I don't know why they are not copying.

Even with Opera, I can't follow the log! Using WAIK's Command Prompt, you could try mounting VistaPE.wim with imagex and looking for '\system32\bcdedit.exe'. (Don't forget to unmount afterwards... I always do! :) ) But I have a feeling that vistape.wim is not being created.

Which WAIK are you using? the latest 2.0 for Win7, or earlier 1.x?

#10 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:03 AM

BTW, VistaPE.wim should still be at '...\Target\VistaPE-Core\vistape.wim'.

#11 Fregley

Fregley

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 January 2009 - 03:16 AM

Sorry, you kind of lost me a bit there. As for viewing the logs, I've just been using Firefox and it works fine for me. I think the WAIK is version 1, I didn't get anything for Windows 7.

I don't understand much of the other stuff you said, you're going to have to walk me through it. Sorry.........

#12 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:02 AM

I think you can forget about the errors in your log. bcdedit should already be in the place where VistaPE is trying to copy it to... hence the error maybe?

Search for vistape.wim anywhere in the Winbuilder folder. Check the date if you find one. Or, if you look in the CD (or mount the .iso) it should be in there somewhere too. If you can't find it, that could be a problem. If you do find one, let us know.

You're trying to use something called Multiboot with grub4dos? VistaPE is setting a variable called 'bootsect' to 'boot/grldr', but then it's not finding vistape.wim and restting the variable to 'boot/etfsboot'.

In your log, there is something that still requires the Vista Install DVD, but it's not exactly clear what it is that requires it. The error follows closely the Grub4Dos script. So, maybe ?

I can't be much more help. If I think of something I'll let you know, but keep us abreast of your progress.

BTW, in your WAIK Programs Folder, can you see an executable called dism.exe?

Regards

#13 Fregley

Fregley

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:34 AM

I didn't see vistape.wim in the folder, but looking in the finalize options, I unchecked the option to unmount wim. I didn't see any dism.exe in the WAIK.

#14 Fregley

Fregley

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:44 AM

I unchecked the Grub4dos thing, but it still didn't work. Here's the log. Any ideas?

Attached Files

#15 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 06:31 AM

There is this line with a green tick in the log (which is very long so I've put line-breaks in):
ShellExecute: [Hide] using: ["C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\x86\imagex.exe"]

with parameters: [/capture "%BaseDir%\Target\VistaPE-Core\boot.tmp" "%BaseDir%

\Target\VistaPE-Core\vistape.wim" "VistaPE" /boot /COMPRESS maximum]

It indicates to me that vistape.wim is created by 'capturing' the contents of 'boot.tmp'. And a later line saying vistape.wim does not exist so change the 'bootsect' variable to 'boot/etfsboot' - which is what it already was without grub4dos.

It looks to me that the imagex line is failing.

And it is probably because previous images are not being unmounted. So, go to 'Start>Windows PE Tools Command Prompt'. Type in 'imagex /unmount' (without the quotes) and hit enter to see what, if anything, is mounted. If there is something you need to unmount it with 'imagex /unmount <Folder of the mounted image>'. I think VistaPE has an automated way of doing it. If you can select a script that says something like Unmount Wims, you can run just that script by clicking the little green arrow in the interface of that script... but I'm not real sure of that. I'd prefer the manual way.

#16 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7101 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:36 AM

I've now discovered that with Opera, it's a snack!

Welcome to the The light side of the Force :)

FYI:
http://www.boot-land...?...c=6492&st=8

:)

jaclaz

#17 Fregley

Fregley

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 20 January 2009 - 11:32 PM

Assuming that you meant the Command Prompt in the WAIK folder, it said that there were 0 mounted images. I found the script to unmount wim and ran it, but it still doesn't work.

#18 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 02:41 AM

I may have inadvertantly reproduced your error doing some manual stuff.

When you went to the '%BaseDir%\Target\VistaPE-Core\' folder to look for vistape.wim, was there anything in it at all?

If I remember correctly, in Winbuilder, VistaPE has an option somewhere in the initial config scripts to 'clean Target' or the like. This should be selected.

Another suggestion - edit the following file using notepad or another text editor,
%BaseDir%\Projects\VistaPE-Core\Finalize\00-postconfig.script

The line with the log output that I posted previously is:

'ShellExecute,Hide,#$q%imagex%#$q,"/capture #$q....'

Place a '#' to disable the line like '#ShellExec...' (without quotes)

and to replace it, insert the following single line directly below or above that line:

ShellExecute,Open,"cmd.exe","/k (#$q%imagex%#$q /capture #$q%BootTMP%#$q #$q%TargetDir%\vistape.wim#$q #$qVistaPE#$q /boot /COMPRESS %pScrollBox1%)"

... (with quotes! :) )

This will/should open (and hold open) a cmd window when the script gets to the line and show exactly what imagex is doing. To continue the build close the cmd window. Before closing, capture a screenshot if you like, or let me know what you see.

#19 Fregley

Fregley

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:05 AM

when I go to the VistaPE-core folder, I see two folders, boot and programs, and two files, bootmgr and vistape.cfg. As near as I can tell, the clear target option is selected.

I found two line that looked like the one you showed me. I am attaching a picture (in .gif to save space) of the script. I have for or five #'s in front of the two lines. I decided to just try it in front of the first line.

the error thst I am attaching says that access was denied. I looked at the properties for the folder, saw that it was at read-only, and changed it. It just resets back automatically. I don't know whay, or if that is even the problem.

Attached Thumbnails

• script.gif
  • error.gif

#20 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:31 AM

Thanks for your patience. I am just working of your log, because I don't have VistaPE ATM. Sorry for the sometimes inaccurate shorthand.

I think we have found the problem though. Those files and directories in the VistaPE-Core folder seem to be 'stuck', and should be manually deleted.

You may need to clear your temp folder and reboot. I hope this is possible.

Go to Start>run, type in %temp% and enter, the temp folder should appear. Select all (Ctrl-A) and delete. Some files may not be accessible for deletion - probably the 'stuck' ones. Restart. Delete the files, if any, in the temp folder again - it should be empty. BTW, if you recognise any files that you are worried about deleting, just deselect them.... I clear mine out totally on a regular basis.... and programs keep putting more stuff back in.

Alternatively, you could try to rename the VistaPE-Core folder (maybe access is denied again), and create a new one.

The line to 'hash out' is the one with '...imagex ... /capture...' in it - just below your second 'hashed' line.

Regards

#21 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:38 AM

Sorry! Hold the boat!

That is not the line to hash out!

Just let me look in the log again... it neds to be the line with BootTMP in it!

#22 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:41 AM

Sorry! Hold the boat!

That is not the line to hash out!

Just let me look in the log again... it neds to be the line with BootTMP in it!

Four lines above your first 'hashed' line...

#23 Fregley

Fregley

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 January 2009 - 01:30 AM

Sorry. Just to make sure, I'm attaching a gif of the modified script. Hopefully it's right this time.

The error was pretty much the same, though.

Attached Thumbnails

• script2.gif
  • error2.gif

#24 allanf

allanf

Gold Member

• .script developer
  • 1256 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 02:12 AM

Yes. That amended .script looks OK. (But sometimes my eyesight is not 100%)

Is it possible that some programs in the VistaPE-Core folder are actually running. In particular the mapnetworkdrive.exe that is mentioned in the imagex error looks a bit odd. Right Click your taskbar and open Task Manager. Have a look in processes, click the 'name' column to order the processes alphabetically. Is that mapnetworkdrive.exe actually running?

Have you tried renaming the existing VistaPE-Core folder and creating a new one? Can you reboot the computer?

Glad your still with this.

#25 Fregley

Fregley

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:50 AM

Sorry for the long time in between replies. I have less time than I would like on weekdays.

Anyway, no mapnetworkdrive process is shown. I have moved the target vistaPE-core folder so it was no longer present, but it didn't help. About the mapnetworkdrive thing, however. AVG pops up and says it is a worm every time. I tell it to ignore it, but that may be the trouble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users