#51 was_jaclaz

was_jaclaz

Finder

• Advanced user
  • 7100 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:19 PM

The most important thing is to make a bootable usb win 7.

Look, they are TWO DIFFERENT things.

Install Win7 ON USB:
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=9196
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=9201
http://www.boot-land...?showtopic=9193

The ONLY three stickies in this Forum (where you posted):
http://www.boot-land...hp?showforum=77

Install Win7 FROM USB:
http://www.msfn.org/...s-usb-f157.html

jaclaz

#52 ireneuszp

ireneuszp

Frequent Member

• Advanced user
  • 191 posts
  •  
    Poland

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:27 PM

Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool from microsoft
http://store.microso...m/Help/ISO-Tool

http://images2.store...SB-DVD-tool.exe

:confused1:

#53 patsch

patsch

Silver Member

• Advanced user
  • 785 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:29 PM

Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool from microsoft

I already posted it here:
http://www.boot-land...?...ost&p=82822

#54 zedde

zedde
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
    Sweden

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:11 PM

Hello

If I have several versions of windows 7 on a USB can I do some menu to access them all on start-up or do I need to move the files around ?

//Daniel

#55 Jamal H. Naji

Jamal H. Naji

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 178 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:09 AM

for booting from USB with windows vista or 7 (32&64bit) the best and most accurate and direct article i found you can download the pdf file from the following link..regards everyone.. :)

http://www.mediafire...dowsVista-7.pdf

or download from here i am attaching it..

Attached Files

#56 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6509 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:02 PM

I have posted a video on YouTube just now at - an RMPrepUSB How to install Windows from USB (my first video ever - be gentle!)

(may take a few hours to go live)

#57 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13408 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:06 PM

I have posted a video on YouTube just now at - an RMPrepUSB How to install Windows from USB (my first video ever - be gentle!)

Actually it's online now, and it's also very good. B) :)

A few very minor things, if you don't mind :)

• You have mispelled the nickname of boot-land member maanu as manu. :)
  • You should use this IMHO :):
    http://en.lmgtfy.com/?q=rmprepusb
    instead of google
  • You haven't mentioned that also NO "little furry creatures from Alpha Centauri" were harmed in the making. :)

:)

Wonko

#58 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6509 posts
  • Interests:computers, programming (masm,vb6,C,vbs), photography,TV,films,guitars
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

[*]You have mispelled the nickname of boot-land member maanu as manu. :)

yes, apologies to maanu :) , I realised I had dropped an a when I watched it after I uploaded it! Why didn't I see it before :) !

Thanks for the tips, I'll see what I can do.

#59 maanu

maanu

Gold Member

• Advanced user
  • 1133 posts
  •  
    Pakistan

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:23 PM

yes, apologies to maanu :) , I realised I had dropped an a when I watched it after I uploaded it! Why didn't I see it before :) !

Thanks for the tips, I'll see what I can do.

no worries . its ok .

by the way it is so nice of you to mention my name , i dont even remember when and where i helped you in your usb utility project .

thanks... :)

#60 wimb

wimb

Gold Member

• Developer
  • 2281 posts
  •  
    Netherlands

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:14 AM

Hi Steve,

Very nice this Video presentatition of RMPrepUSB on YouTube.

Thanks,

wimb

#61 moot

moot

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

Very good video. I have been trying to get Win7 Installation on USB using RMPrepUSB for a couple days now. :)
I followed instructions/steps, to the letter, and the USB boot starts...but I get the following error from Windows Boot Manager:

------------------------------------- Start of Error Message -----------------------------------
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."
If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.
ENTER=Continue ESC=Exit

------------------------------------ End of Error Message ---------------------------------------

Can you give me some insight on to what I may be doing wrong? :)
I am testing on a HP Media Center PC m1095c and the BIOS sees the PNY USB 2.0 FD as an available boot device.
If anyone can help... is there any other information I need to post? Thanks in advance...

#62 ps2_hacker

ps2_hacker
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

I thougt I'd post up with what I've done to my (poor, badly overabused) flashdrive. I multiboot, with the bootmonger, edited with EasyBCD, with options to boot either my flashdrive win xp, which I can run one of 2 ways, either from the drive directly, or I can load an image of (the whole system fits into 250mb) the same into ram (quasi-pe) and boot from there (that way I can take my drive out at soon as it boots), and I keep a win 7 installation source on it, installing 6/7 from the flashdrive or hdd is sooooo much faster than from an optical disc.
One more thing that I will mention is how I prefer to set up 6/7 installations, when I do them. I prefer to insall from the hard drive. It needs to be formatted for 6/7 boot (I would use my flash xp to format a virgin drive, but old installtions of those are easiest, just copy everything over), and copy the installation source, including the boot folder, so the installation source boots from the system drive. Now if you run the installatin, you can install to the same parition, if you want, or any other, but the installation will automaticly install the os, leavng a split boot option with the installation source remaining as an alternate boot option, almost like having a recovey partiton, the option to reinstall will be there at bootup, every time. All the usual recovery and repair options the source has will also still work. Occasionally, there will be a device driver conflict, about the optical not being used, that I have yet to debug, but rarely.
My "poor man's recovery partition". It certainly makes life better for the type of users that reintall windows to fix everything.

You can add this to an existing by copying the installation source to the current systemdrive, making sure to wipe the bcd store out, by copying the installation's boot folder over the system's exisiting one. This obviously replaces boot the system with boot the installation source, but the "startup repair" feature of the installation source will fix it to split boot both.

#63 bombit

bombit
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Philippines

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

thank you man.you're genius

#64 Jamal H. Naji

Jamal H. Naji

Frequent Member

• Tutorial Writer
  • 178 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 17 July 2010 - 08:03 PM

I have been trying to get Win7 Installation on USB using RMPrepUSB for a couple days now. :thumbup:
I followed instructions/steps, to the letter, and the USB boot starts...but I get the following error from Windows Boot Manager:

1- you can Install Vista or 7 from USB without using any program following this Tutorial:
2- you can Install XP from USB following simple steps with this Tutorial:
3- you can Install XP + Vista or 7 from USB following this Tutorial:
4- you can Install XP + Vista or 7 + a very good collection of software from USB, making a Mission Impossible USB following this tutorial
regards :cheers:

#65 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6509 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:39 PM

Very good video. I have been trying to get Win7 Installation on USB using RMPrepUSB for a couple days now. :thumbup:

Can you give me some insight on to what I may be doing wrong? :cheers:
I am testing on a HP Media Center PC m1095c and the BIOS sees the PNY USB 2.0 FD as an available boot device.
If anyone can help... is there any other information I need to post? Thanks in advance...

I suspect that the BIOS is treating the USB pen as a floppy drive and not a hard disk. Hence the 'FD' reported by the BIOS! WinPE v2/3 cannot boot from a floppy disk device. Look in the BIOS for different options. Try RMPrepUSB 2PTNs option and without 2PTNs option. The USB pen will probably boot fine on other systems! ALWAYS switch off the PC after re-formatting the USB pen or the BIOS may not detect the USB pen as an HDD and will continue to identify it as an 'FD' drive.

#66 lekkerpuh

lekkerpuh
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Norway

Posted 31 August 2010 - 04:32 PM

Hello,

Is there a possibility to install windows 7 from a usb-harddisk?

Greetings,
Lekkerpuh

#67 steve6375

steve6375

Platinum Member

• Developer
  • 6509 posts
  •  
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:32 PM

yes, just use RMPrepUSB as if the USB hard disk was a flash memory stick.
See https://sites.google...video-tutorials

#68 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13408 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:38 PM

Hello,

Is there a possibility to install windows 7 from a usb-harddisk?

Greetings,
Lekkerpuh

Sure :cheers:, this whole thread contains references to various ways to do it.

When you see USB drive, it means BOTH "USB sticks" AND "USB hard disk drives", actually some of difficulties in installing Windows (XP/2003/Vista/2008/7) are for USB sticks (that are seen as "Removable" devices and NOT for USB hard disks (that are seen as "Fixed" devices).
In any case there are suitable methods for both types and filter drivers to make the "Fixed" seen as "Removable" and viceversa.

;)
Wonko

#69 lekkerpuh

lekkerpuh
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
    Norway

Posted 31 August 2010 - 06:11 PM

When you see USB drive, it means BOTH "USB sticks" AND "USB hard disk drives", actually some of difficulties in installing Windows (XP/2003/Vista/2008/7) are for USB sticks (that are seen as "Removable" devices and NOT for USB hard disks (that are seen as "Fixed" devices).
In any case there are suitable methods for both types and filter drivers to make the "Fixed" seen as "Removable" and viceversa.

:cheers:
Wonko

Thanks for the replay, Wonko.

Greetings,
Lekkerpuh ;)

#70 ps2_hacker

ps2_hacker
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:17 PM

;)
Wonko

I've done all of the above. It doesn't matter about the usb media being a fixed, or removable, to any installation pe. However, windows nt52 has issues installing from anything except an optical, at least when booted, as opposed to "upgraded" from an existing installation. It will always have issues being booted from anything but a cd.
It only matters about the usb media to the installion target, you can't install an os to, or run one from any usb drive, either usb attached hard disk, or "usb stick". in that case you need to have what you called a "filter". I haven't run windows nt60 from a usb drive, except for the pe, which runs from ram, anyway, but nt52 had to have a filter to make it see a fixed, drive, period, it won't run from usb of any kind, otherwise. But it makes absolutely no difference where windows nt60's installation is run from, that's one of the things I like most about it. And the bootmonger bootsector has proven to be applicable to everything. I like to install it from the intended system drive, it will leave the installation source as a split boot option, adding the installed os as the default. Sort of like a porrman's homemade recovery partion, as long as you leave the sourcefiles on it. I make them hidden, and read-only. And it installs in about 20 minutes, it's incredibly fast. And having windows xp on the flashdrive on my keychain is awsome-handy. Never fails to be indispensable, I don't know how I ever got along without that, my secret wunder-waffen. "Hey, Rocky... watch me pull an operating system out of my hat...."

#71 Wonko the Sane

Wonko the Sane

The Finder

• Advanced user
  • 13408 posts
  •  
    Italy

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:56 PM

And having windows xp on the flashdrive on my keychain is awsome-handy. Never fails to be indispensable, I don't know how I ever got along without that, my secret wunder-waffen. "Hey, Rocky... watch me pull an operating system out of my hat...."

Nice idea that of having a flashdrive and keychain hidden in your hat..... ;)

Still nothing compared to the weiner hat trick, though:
Posted Image

:w00t:

Wonko

#72 ps2_hacker

ps2_hacker
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
    United States

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:34 PM

I was trained as a foreward observer, in the Army. The only way to accurately measure range, is with a laser rangefinder, without one, all you can do is guess. But the "technical term" for guessing that we are taught to use, and the answer they expect on the test, to see if we were paying attention in class, is to "pull one from out of my ass". I don't know if you can see what I was thinking, or imagine my actual Bullwinkle impression, but I don't really have a hat.

Don't combine this with the wiener-hat joke, though, let's not even go there.

#73 Ash Mansour

Ash Mansour
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
    Saudi Arabia

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:49 AM

Nice Steve , i used your tool before many times "rmPrepusb " and it was great for making my usb bootable and i install windows7 and Xp from it .Thanks man

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users