Photo
- - - - -

How would you create a ramdisk on boot ?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#51 fxscrpt

fxscrpt

Frequent Member

• .script developer
  • 328 posts
  •  
    Germany

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:24 PM

@fxscrpt
I seem to be missing the need (or the reason for choosing) the .vhd format as opposed to a normal RAW one?

it's a long story. the short version is:
i'm working on "Register Factory".
"Register Factory" is a set of scripts to run installations inside
a VM. The VM starts a copy of your build from attached virtual HDD and installs OS components and software , registers dlls ..
Then files and changed registry settings are transferred to your build.

.vhd files (uncompressed) are raw files (+512 extra bytes for vhd footer) and can be used for ImDisk,QEMU,VmWare,VirtualBox AND VirtualPC (and for Vista x64/vhdmount). However , ApiRegUtil works
for 'normal RAW' files as well as for excel files. :cheers:

In any case, if I may, I would suggest to "call things with their names", such as:

ApiRegutil makehddinfo "C:\ramdisk.vhd" "C:\newhddinfo.txt" 40

Its only a syntax example.
ramdisk.img is the input file.
Any type of file will work (.vhd is not required)

.img is the extension generally used for RAW disk images.
jaclaz

Yes , sorry for imprecise terms B)

:cheers:
Peter

#52 Mammuth

Mammuth

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
    Hungary

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:36 PM

Yes and No B).
Not really a "new" idea (the separation of "core" from "whole"), it is exactly what I tried suggesting you since this:
http://www.boot-land...?...=3099&st=53

But you see, for this idea to work together with "XP Kansas City Shuffle", you need a virtual disk driver capable of loading a disk image in RAM AND to be seen by the booting windows as low-level as possible.
IMDISK cannot, as it is a filesystem driver, NOT a HD driver, it doesn't even have \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE access (and skips the MBR, so that no Disk Signature is present through IMDISK)

Most other ramdisk drivers also actually mount a filesystem (or volume, or partition) and not a whole HD like device (with MBR and signature).

Maybe, the MS VSS is something worth experimenting, as it seems to have the "right connections":
http://www.boot-land...?...ic=6492&hl=
but cannot say.

Thank you! "a minor and obscure deity, Lord of IPL and booting matters" :cheers: :cheers:

I believe, it can not be possible with MS VSS, because at this time (early booting), there isn't exist a RamDisk (from load the MS VSS image from the RamDisk). :cheers:
So, I believe this is the end ...
There is 2 solution (for my problem)?
1. DisklessAngel
2. Linux
(3. Wait for a M$ solution or a good idea from someone ... )

Thank you for all good ideas and for all the answers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users